Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer

JayBulworth posted:

For the Montreal goons out there, what about ADSL2+? http://www.colba.net/main.php?lang=en&cont=&choix=&webmail=

They own their own equipment so they would have been one of the few ISP's in the country that would have been able to provide unlimited internet access had the CRTC ruling not been repealed.

Why didn't I know there there was independent ISPs running ADSL2+ in Montreal? Why is there so little advertising for it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

I think it's probably because it's hard to market something that has such spotty coverage. (Unless you're Bell)

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Someone has to be there to sign for the package or they won't deliver. You can ask them to drop it on their second attempt, but if there's nowhere safe to drop it (even though you said they could), they won't leave it.
They left a pair of Kindles sitting in the middle of my porch, so clearly this policy isn't uniformly applied. I called to complain as they've done that before with less expensive items, but once they figured out I'd received my item all investigation stopped.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!
For me it's the opposite. Canada post is poo poo for speed, but they have a location 2 blocks from where I live so I can easily go pick up. UPS is the same, but faster, and their location is on the same block as me. Fedex on the other hand doesn't even bother to try to deliver. They just stick a note on my door whether I'm home or not, without ringing, with instructions for me to take a hike out to the nearest run-down industrial area where no public transit ventures in order to pick it up. They are faster than Canada Post though.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Yeah pretty much all of my interactions with UPS have been annoying and frustrating ("oh we tried to deliver it but no one was there" when I stayed home the whole day and the driver obviously is lying.. Or refusing to leave a package on a step or tucked behind the house and the pickup location is way the gently caress down in Delta or whatever).

Whereas Canada Post I have a couple post offices nearby, both of which are open til 9-10pm so it's easy for a pickup after work. I even had Canada Post attempt a delivery on a Sunday before xmas which was completely amazing.

Speed wise I don't notice much difference between UPS or CP. The exception is when I order something from the US amazon and it forces me to do the $20 expedited, that is amazingly fast shipping. (via UPS). But for DVDs/Games/Books from amazon.ca it's never a time crunch so I prefer the ease of actually getting the delivery of Canada Post :)

On topic, I got a call back from Telus from my internet sign up, they were all ready to schedule an appointment for me but I threw a wrench in the process by asking if instead of the free xbox promo if I could get the $15/service/month for the year instead. They will have to figure this out or something and call me back :confused:. Ah well glad I'm not in a rush!

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

From an American who has to ship to Canada every year for a project my company works with, Canadian Customs fucks with UPS hard. I have no idea why, but if I send it with a customs doc on FedEx, it takes about a day to clear Customs. When I send it UPS (literally, an identical package in every way, same customs doc and eveything) it sits in customs for two weeks while Canada Customs stares at it from across the facility.

Sending via USPS is similar to sending via FedEx, but more expensive so I don't use it much.

I think UPS either pissed off the Customs Service up there, or they present everything as "potential bomb" when trying to drag it through Customs.

JayBulworth
Apr 1, 2010

Migishu posted:

Why didn't I know there there was independent ISPs running ADSL2+ in Montreal? Why is there so little advertising for it?

I didn't know about it until a co-worker told me about them myself. I'm not sure why there is so little marketing about them out there either. I think I'm going to switch when my current ISP contract runs out in April.

The only reservations I have with switching is that there is not a lot of good reviews about them and I have only been able to find one review of their ADSL2+ service.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer

JayBulworth posted:

I didn't know about it until a co-worker told me about them myself. I'm not sure why there is so little marketing about them out there either. I think I'm going to switch when my current ISP contract runs out in April.

The only reservations I have with switching is that there is not a lot of good reviews about them and I have only been able to find one review of their ADSL2+ service.

Let me know how it goes. The thing I love about Teksavvy is that they have no contract, so it's hard to go with them since you're committed for a year.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

ZShakespeare posted:

For me it's the opposite. Canada post is poo poo for speed, but they have a location 2 blocks from where I live so I can easily go pick up. UPS is the same, but faster, and their location is on the same block as me. Fedex on the other hand doesn't even bother to try to deliver. They just stick a note on my door whether I'm home or not, without ringing, with instructions for me to take a hike out to the nearest run-down industrial area where no public transit ventures in order to pick it up. They are faster than Canada Post though.

For me, CP Xpresspost takes about the same amount of time as standard service from FedEx and UPS, usually a day or two more.

However the fact that I can go pick up the package from the post office two blocks away if I miss it is far worth the extra delivery time compared with having to go to the nearest UPS or FedEx depot.

Then don't even get me started on UPS fees for cross border customs. :argh:

PhancyPants
Nov 15, 2003

Hotdog Suit Up!

less than three posted:

For me, CP Xpresspost takes about the same amount of time as standard service from FedEx and UPS, usually a day or two more.

However the fact that I can go pick up the package from the post office two blocks away if I miss it is far worth the extra delivery time compared with having to go to the nearest UPS or FedEx depot.

It's to the point that I tend not to order from Amazon because of their bizarre insistence on sending via UPS. If it's Canada Post and I miss the delivery, there's a post office 2 blocks away. If it's UPS, I have to take a half day off work (useless because half of the time they don't ring the buzzer) or wait for it to arrive, wait another day for it to go back to the warehouse, and the day after that drive across the city to a shady warehouse that closes at 6:00 before they burn my package out of spite.

Isizzlehorn
Feb 25, 2010

:lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick:

less than three posted:

UPS and DHL, cross your fingers you pick it up before it goes back to their depots. You can avoid those fees so long as you pick it up when they arrive. If it gets to the depot, get ready for fees higher than the goddamn shipping.

My best shipping experience, internationally speaking, is from the UK. It's probably a result of Canada maintaining it's 'crown country' status, but shipping from there is either free/next to nothing, and never takes longer than a week or two regardless of the package size.

For the US, Canada Post 24/7. There's a reason Amazon uses them. I really hope they get a proper distribution facility so .ca gets the .com selection. I'm not naive enough to hope for fair pricing given how long the CDN's been at parity, but not having to wait once a year to visit family and pickup a bunch of stuff while in the US would save a lot of time and effort.

The news about Wind really sucks. Been happy with their $15 a month plan for almost a year now, figures the telco's would be trying to gently caress with 'em.

PhancyPants
Nov 15, 2003

Hotdog Suit Up!

Isizzlehorn posted:

The news about Wind really sucks. Been happy with their $15 a month plan for almost a year now, figures the telco's would be trying to gently caress with 'em.

Agreed. Their coverage in Edmonton is really rough right now, but it's REALLY improved over the last 6 months ( a coworker has it), and I was looking forward to getting away from Rogers.

Telus has horrible customer service for their mobile networks, and Bell will hunt down the things you love and destroy them one at a time. Rogers is sadly the best option right now, although miraculously all 3 of the available telco's have almost identical plans. Strange...

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

PhancyPants posted:

Agreed. Their coverage in Edmonton is really rough right now, but it's REALLY improved over the last 6 months ( a coworker has it), and I was looking forward to getting away from Rogers.

Telus has horrible customer service for their mobile networks, and Bell will hunt down the things you love and destroy them one at a time. Rogers is sadly the best option right now, although miraculously all 3 of the available telco's have almost identical plans. Strange...

Well, when all the execs belong to the same country clubs, it's hard to look them in the eye over a brandy and cigar if you aren't going to match their prices.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

Isizzlehorn posted:

figures the telco's would be trying to gently caress with 'em.

Funny thing is that it isn't even the big telcos doing this. It's the minor player "Public Mobile" who brought the suit.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Squibbles posted:

Funny thing is that it isn't even the big telcos doing this. It's the minor player "Public Mobile" who brought the suit.

Yeah, but the CEO of Public is ex-Bell Mobility (and before that Rogers.)

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
His history with the big telcos is probably a distant second to Public being unable to compete with Wind. They're a convenience store brand and drop calls if you go outside their coverage zone, putting them a distant third behind Mobilicity.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
Just placed my order for Internet to switch to Telus.

$15 for Optik High Speed, $15 for Optik TV for 12 months.

The guy told me tomorrow is the last day for the promotion, if anybody else was thinking of switching.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
I just got a voicemail from the president's office at Rogers. Apparently they took notice of my crank e-mail where I threatened to pull all my family's TVs and cellphones (easily $500/mo) if they imposed UBB on cable wholesalers.

They're going to call back, so this should be really interesting.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

less than three posted:

The guy told me tomorrow is the last day for the promotion, if anybody else was thinking of switching.

Ugh I got a call back from Telus last week for my online sign-up, and I said I wanted the $15 promo. They said they'd figure it out and call me back but they haven't, what the hell.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

priznat posted:

Ugh I got a call back from Telus last week for my online sign-up, and I said I wanted the $15 promo. They said they'd figure it out and call me back but they haven't, what the hell.

Call 1-877-495-8508.

Direct to the loyalty guys who can sign up and set an installation date.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

less than three posted:

Call 1-877-495-8508.

Direct to the loyalty guys who can sign up and set an installation date.

Cool, what time are they open til? I'd prefer to do it when I get home from work if possible but otherwise I can sneak off to a conference room or something.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

priznat posted:

Cool, what time are they open til? I'd prefer to do it when I get home from work if possible but otherwise I can sneak off to a conference room or something.

I have no idea. Just try calling I guess? :v:

I would assume they're open for at least another hour.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

less than three posted:

I have no idea. Just try calling I guess? :v:

I would assume they're open for at least another hour.

Okay, okay! ;)

It's odd how I have issues about calling places from my work but can catch up on forums and whatnot with no problem!

PRODUCTIVITY!

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

priznat posted:

It's odd how I have issues about calling places from my work but can catch up on forums and whatnot with no problem!

I think that's fairly common among people.

I'll gladly sit and surf the web etc. There's something about personal calls on the clock that seems different.

You can minimise a window quickly. Doesn't really work for phone calls.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Yah and being in a cube farm phone calls are public information..

Anyway I went out to the lobby to make my call and it's all set, they even can come out on a saturday to do the hookup!

A female friend of mine recently got hers hooked up in north van and the installer picked her up. Full service indeed :quagmire:

Vergeh
Jan 15, 2008

Pockets!

Shumagorath posted:

I just got a voicemail from the president's office at Rogers. Apparently they took notice of my crank e-mail where I threatened to pull all my family's TVs and cellphones (easily $500/mo) if they imposed UBB on cable wholesalers.

They're going to call back, so this should be really interesting.

Please, for the love of God, tell me you have the ability to record phone calls.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!

less than three posted:

Did you have to sign a contract? How much is it after the 12 months?

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

ZShakespeare posted:

Did you have to sign a contract? How much is it after the 12 months?

No contract.

The Internet is $37 after 12 months, basic TV is $23.

Come 12 months I'm just going to cancel the TV.

edit: Considering I'm paying Shaw $57 right now (plus a $2 increase starting April) even if I kept the TV after 12 months it'd still be the same for both services as Shaw charges for one.

less than three fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Feb 8, 2011

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

less than three posted:

edit: Considering I'm paying Shaw $57 right now (plus a $2 increase starting April) even if I kept the TV after 12 months it'd still be the same for both services as Shaw charges for one.

Yep, I'm planning on keeping the TV so I am doing the 3 year contract to get the free PVR rental.

Seeing as I've been with shaw for going on 10+ years I figure it won't be much of a hassle to get locked down for 3.

I just missed being able to watch hockey too much :( (drat living in a signal shadow for HD OTA). Also the Telus PVR/tuner looks light years more advanced than shaw's ancient hunks of crap.

pixfix
Nov 4, 2010

GET IN THE BIN
I live in an apartment building (going to college atm) and all I can use is Rogers. It loving blows because I can't stand them.

Buddy was telling me today that TekSaavy now has a cable service, which I want, because of unlimited internet and non of this overcharge poo poo. Unfortunately it is only in Toronto and they can't expand because there are no more IPv4 addresses to use. :(

SeventySeven
Jan 18, 2005
I AM A FAGGOT WHO BEGGED EXTREMITY TO CREATE AM ACCOUNT FOR ME. PLEASE PELT ME WITH ASSORTED GOODS.

less than three posted:

No contract.

The Internet is $37 after 12 months, basic TV is $23.

Come 12 months I'm just going to cancel the TV.

Just jumped on this as a new customer (not switching or anything). $42/month for Internet + Basic TV + Sports + 1 box for a year is too good to pass up. Thanks for the heads up!

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

pixfix posted:

I live in an apartment building (going to college atm) and all I can use is Rogers. It loving blows because I can't stand them.

Buddy was telling me today that TekSaavy now has a cable service, which I want, because of unlimited internet and non of this overcharge poo poo. Unfortunately it is only in Toronto and they can't expand because there are no more IPv4 addresses to use. :(
Many of my Ottawa friends apparently qualified as of this week.

pixfix
Nov 4, 2010

GET IN THE BIN

teethgrinder posted:

Many of my Ottawa friends apparently qualified as of this week.

Thats good news! Hopefully they can expand further.

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
I :fap: TO UNDERAGE GYMNASTS
Don't forget there's another committee hearing at 3:30 today. I believe the author of the petition is going to be there among with other relevant people unlike last time.

PhancyPants
Nov 15, 2003

Hotdog Suit Up!

Dudebro posted:

Don't forget there's another committee hearing at 3:30 today. I believe the author of the petition is going to be there among with other relevant people unlike last time.

Which timezone?

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

pixfix posted:

Thats good news! Hopefully they can expand further.

Looks like yes - I sent them an email asking about UBB, dryloop costs, and whether there's any plan to roll out cable to Guelph on the near future:

TekSavvy Support posted:

Also Guelph is on the list in the next cpl months (we hope). We have just signed for the rights to bring our services via cable to that area. We look forward to being able to meet your internet related needs ASAP.

You're probably not in Guelph, but drop them an email and ask about your area - they seem to be pushing cable expansion.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

PhancyPants posted:

Which timezone?

EST.

George Burger and the dude from Vaxination are part of the panel this time.

http://parlvu.parl.gc.ca/ParlVu/ContentEntityDetailView.aspx?ContentEntityId=7272

jizzpowered
Feb 14, 2008

less than three posted:

EST.

George Burger and the dude from Vaxination are part of the panel this time.

http://parlvu.parl.gc.ca/ParlVu/ContentEntityDetailView.aspx?ContentEntityId=7272

Hahaha, this should be good.

Is it with the Konrad von rear end in a top hat guy again?

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

This Rocky Gaudrault looks like a trustworthy fellow :rolleyes:

http://opinion.financialpost.com/2011/02/07/internet-usage-debate-the-real-myths/

Well thank you Post for finally printing some rebuttal, but notice how completely differently the article is framed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!
It's weird, because Konrad von Finklestein was the judge who made downloading legal. When he was appointed to run the CRTC, I thought things were going to be great.