Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Yeah, sorry, I'd assumed that people in this thread knew it was in RC stage and were just somehow really bad at Google searching or something. My bad! :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

is there a way to change the icon and text of an item in the taskbar?

For example, you open up Notepad, it shows up on the task bar with wordpad and the wordpad icon.

Possible somehow?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Assuming it's an icon you've pinned to the taskbar, you can change the icon of it's shortcut (place it on the desktop and set the property there so it'll stick) and then pin it back to the taskbar and it'll keep the shortcut icon when it's launched.
Otherwise you'll have to always launch it from a shortcut where you've set its icon.

If you mean the text that displays when you've got the taskbar in icon&text mode, the text is set on a per-application basis, so it depends on the program, by default.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

GreenBuckanneer posted:

is there a way to change the icon and text of an item in the taskbar?

For example, you open up Notepad, it shows up on the task bar with wordpad and the wordpad icon.

Possible somehow?

You shouldn't have to create new shortcuts or anything, as far as I can tell.

Toast Museum fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Feb 4, 2011

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Yeah, I thought of those, but nothing to change the text that displays. I suppose I could go icon based for the taskbar...

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
Stacked no-title icons is totally the way to go. I hated stacked taskbar items in XP/Vista, but it's awesome in 7.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Toast Museum posted:

You shouldn't have to create new shortcuts or anything, as far as I can tell.

I didn't think so either, but changing it just via that led to the icon not actually updating. I wasn't suggested the desktop-method because I didn't know any better, but because the taskbar doesn't seem to actually update when asked to.

NerdPolice
Jun 18, 2005

GINYU FORCE RULES
Wondering if the academic Windows 7 Pro full install is the best bang for the buck still. I think it is $129-$139 or similar ($99 for upgrade).

I want it for VMWare and bootcamp specifically, though I know Windows XP would be the best VMWare option for speed the OS is just too drat old.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Toast Museum posted:

Stacked no-title icons is totally the way to go. I hated stacked taskbar items in XP/Vista, but it's awesome in 7.

Yeah with the large icons and no text, that's the default in Win7 isn't it? Works fantastically.

chutwig
May 28, 2001

BURLAP SATCHEL OF CRACKERJACKS

NerdPolice posted:

Wondering if the academic Windows 7 Pro full install is the best bang for the buck still. I think it is $129-$139 or similar ($99 for upgrade).

I want it for VMWare and bootcamp specifically, though I know Windows XP would be the best VMWare option for speed the OS is just too drat old.

You can use the OEM loophole through Newegg to get it for around that price (order a mousepad or something). I think I paid $149 for OEM Pro when I was building my new computer.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

big mean giraffe posted:

Yeah with the large icons and no text, that's the default in Win7 isn't it? Works fantastically.

Yeah, it's the default, and with good reason. I think the thumbnail previews are a big part of why I like it better than the earlier implementations.

NerdPolice posted:

If you're a student, $65 for 7 Pro upgrade is the best deal I've seen. First do a clean install without giving the product key, then run the installer again, this time as an upgrade (and providing the key), from within the new install.

NerdPolice
Jun 18, 2005

GINYU FORCE RULES

Toast Museum posted:

If you're a student, $65 for 7 Pro upgrade is the best deal I've seen. First do a clean install without giving the product key, then run the installer again, this time as an upgrade (and providing the key), from within the new install.
Except I want to use it for bootcamp and VMWare, and an upgrade process with bootcamp is more painful than a full install.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

NerdPolice posted:

Except I want to use it for bootcamp and VMWare, and an upgrade process with bootcamp is more painful than a full install.

Even though it starts out as a full install? I've never used Bootcamp or VMWare, so I'm not entirely clear on where the complications creep in.

Srebrenica Surprise
Aug 23, 2008

"L-O-V-E's just another word I never learned to pronounce."
Also you don't even have to install it twice, you can just change a single registry key.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

big mean giraffe posted:

Small icons all the way. I just wish the task bar could be narrower running on the left edge with small icons.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Srebrenica Surprise posted:

Also you don't even have to install it twice, you can just change a single registry key.

Seriously? I've been wasting a lot of time, then. Have any details?

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Toast Museum posted:

Seriously? I've been wasting a lot of time, then. Have any details?

http://www.winsupersite.com/article/windows-7/clean-install-windows-7-with-upgrade-media.aspx

chutwig
May 28, 2001

BURLAP SATCHEL OF CRACKERJACKS

Toast Museum posted:

Even though it starts out as a full install? I've never used Bootcamp or VMWare, so I'm not entirely clear on where the complications creep in.

The version I was sold at the large academic institution where I work was upgrade only and required a previous install on the disk to continue (it wouldn't take a Vista disc I had dying around). He may be in the same boat.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

I can personally vouch that the registry hack works. Of course, only do this if you have a legit previous license to upgrade from, or else poor Bill Gates will cry and wind up homeless because you stiffed him like thirty-fifty bucks.

Mr Bike
Dec 3, 2004

More tea Mr. Bike?
I have a Windows 7 Pro computer (a Dell) that I am trying to join to the companies network. I am able to join the domain but for some reason it doesn't pull down my roaming profile. It tries to but then it just creates a temporary profile that is discarded after I log off each time. It's kind of an annoying problem that I don't know how to fix. Anyone have an idea on this issue?

revolther
May 27, 2008

univbee posted:

I can personally vouch that the registry hack works. Of course, only do this if you have a legit previous license to upgrade from, or else poor Bill Gates will cry and wind up homeless because you stiffed him like thirty-fifty bucks.
Here's a vaguely Windows related question.

When are we going to stop picking on Bill Gates? He put his foot in his mouth a few times, but he's much less of a douchebag than Steve Jobs. poo poo, he's promised to give away his billions to charity before he dies, and has always supported hardware independent computing, where Jobs has marked up everything 300% and if he had his way there would be one form factor for every PC until you had to buy a whole new PC as an "upgrade". Gates has also for the most part stepped out of the picture concerning Microsoft, so we never have to hear his nerdy speeches, while Jobs is still wearing blue jeans and black turtlenecks preaching about magic devices like it's 1999.

Bill gates has also said, he'd rather you pirate Windows and stiff him that 35 bucks than not run Windows at all, hell MS provides updates/service packs for non-genuine copies of Windows.

Is there something barbaric Gates has done I shouldn't let him off the loose for? I know the old IE monopoly poo poo, but what else?

edit: I'm just curious if Microsoft is still seen by most as the rear end in a top hat software giant that pushes every little guy out of the picture?

revolther fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Feb 7, 2011

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

That's the dumbest poo poo I've ever heard. Who cares. I'm sure the guy is crying a loving river.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

My comment was in jest and was more because he'd be most likely NOT to care (or at worst let you pay the price difference and square things up). Bill Gates is pretty much the nicest celebrity billionaire there is, giving away millions for medical research, education, and technology in countries and areas that would otherwise be SOL.

He's only perceived by some to be a typical super-rich guy because "omg Microsoft's so expensive and I called their support line when my internet was down and they wouldn't help me" or something stupid like that; I can't think of anyone who's familiar with his humanitarian efforts who has anything but good things to say about him.

Having said all that, I'm not going to advocate piracy on SA, especially in my own thread. :colbert:

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

AlexDeGruven posted:

I just wish the task bar could be narrower running on the left edge with small icons.

This. It would be perfect if I could use small icons with a thinner task bar. As it is, I just stick with large icons because I think the small icons look dumb if you have the bar on the side of your monitor.

thrawn86
May 26, 2006

Sure, I got a secret. More than one...

Thermopyle posted:

This. It would be perfect if I could use small icons with a thinner task bar. As it is, I just stick with large icons because I think the small icons look dumb if you have the bar on the side of your monitor.

Theres just too much whitespace in the icon panel itself with small icons. For that matter, why isn't there just a slider to adjust icon/bar size anyway?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

thrawn86 posted:

Theres just too much whitespace in the icon panel itself with small icons. For that matter, why isn't there just a slider to adjust icon/bar size anyway?

You can drag the taskbar to make it bigger if you have it unlocked, but the minimum size is just too big for small icons. :(

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

revolther posted:

Here's a vaguely Windows related question.

When are we going to stop picking on Bill Gates? He put his foot in his mouth a few times, but he's much less of a douchebag than Steve Jobs. poo poo, he's promised to give away his billions to charity before he dies, and has always supported hardware independent computing, where Jobs has marked up everything 300% and if he had his way there would be one form factor for every PC until you had to buy a whole new PC as an "upgrade". Gates has also for the most part stepped out of the picture concerning Microsoft, so we never have to hear his nerdy speeches, while Jobs is still wearing blue jeans and black turtlenecks preaching about magic devices like it's 1999.

MS had a lot of hate back in the day and not entirely unjustified. A lot of Window's stuff was quite clunky and painful for the users. Plus, MS's dominance of the marketplace made people feel that they had to use MS products due to their business practices which unfairly prevented the competition from offering better products. I can't say that this was entirely justified.

What I do find odd is that the MS stuff that comes out now is pretty decent and they seem to care about the users a lot more. Things like free upgrades of Windows components (eg Media Player), easy roll back of updates and good support for older products. Compare and contrast to the Apple way of doing things (do it the way we want you to do it) and frankly, I have a lot more affection for MS than Apple now.

Win7 really seems to show that they now listen to the users and offer them as much help as they can. Things like free downloads of good tools, plentiful help resources, multiple, supported methods of completing a task all are to the credit of MS.

Plus, as you say, who can really hate a guy who decides to spend all his money helping sick children?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

spog posted:

MS had a lot of hate back in the day and not entirely unjustified. A lot of Window's stuff was quite clunky and painful for the users.

Except the alternative was early Linux (a war crime) or OS 9 (awful) or perhaps OS X 10.0 (a disaster). You know, just for perspective here.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

fishmech posted:

Except the alternative was early Linux (a war crime) or OS 9 (awful) or perhaps OS X 10.0 (a disaster). You know, just for perspective here.

Oh yeah, sure. I should have made that clearer. A lot of MS stuff *was* horrible and clunky...but the alternatives were just as bad, or worse.

So, people were rightly bitching that they were using nasty software but incorrectly blaming MS for the piss-poor state of the competition, which was 'forcing' them to use the MS versions.

Sure, anti-competitive (or 'savvy', depending on your viewpoint) business practises made it harder for alternative companies to get their products off the ground, but just look at Mozilla to see that it is not a great excuse for lack of decent competition.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
Wasn't it some quote by Bill Gates (excuse the paraphrase just going on memory of meaning.) such like "You don't have to be the best, just the least-worst." ?

Drox
Aug 9, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I don't know about that one, but it brings to mind the older one of "You don't have to run faster than the bear, just faster than your friend."

Belligerent Monk
Jul 29, 2006
What's a good free program for cleaning out spyware and other garbage from my computer? I have an Asus 1215N and it's running pretty slowly, especially internet video.

LoKout
Apr 2, 2003

Professional Fetus Taster
MalwareBytes Anti-Malware. Run a full scan a few times and it should clean up most everything.

In other news, Server 2008 R2 and Windows 7 SP1 was given a release date today - Announcement.

Coral Reefer
Feb 19, 2005

I touched a clown and now I am going to jail. I hope they let me keep my beard.
Grimey Drawer

Belligerent Monk posted:

What's a good free program for cleaning out spyware and other garbage from my computer? I have an Asus 1215N and it's running pretty slowly, especially internet video.

Also add CCleaner in that mix as well. I would run that first then Malwarebytes so it isn't scanning through temporary files etc.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Well this is neat, according to that link, that leaked build has the same build number as this (7601.17514.101119-1850)

Armourking
Dec 16, 2004

Step off!
Step off!

Mr Bike posted:

I have a Windows 7 Pro computer (a Dell) that I am trying to join to the companies network. I am able to join the domain but for some reason it doesn't pull down my roaming profile. It tries to but then it just creates a temporary profile that is discarded after I log off each time. It's kind of an annoying problem that I don't know how to fix. Anyone have an idea on this issue?
It'll try to use a USERNAME.v2 folder in the same directory as (I assume) your old Windows XP profile directory is in. If it can't - either permissions or failure to create, it'll do the above behaviour.

WorkingStiff
Jul 5, 2005

Does anyone know if there is a way to use the power settings available on a laptop on a pc? Specifically the ability to dim the screen /adjust display brightness after a specific amount of time?

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Is there a site where I can get direct downloads of Windows 7 updates in a nice little list or something? I'm getting poo poo speeds from microsoft through every single program I've tried that says it does this, when the downloads don't time out entirely.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.

WorkingStiff posted:

Does anyone know if there is a way to use the power settings available on a laptop on a pc? Specifically the ability to dim the screen /adjust display brightness after a specific amount of time?

Whatever your hardware supports, it should all be there in the power options, just not with the option of a second set of settings for battery mode (unless you have an UPS). Dimming depends on the display, though - obviously, desktop monitors tend to have brightness adjusted by buttons on the front rather than software control. Display dimming requires an interface to backlight controls controlled by the computer itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

TOOT BOOT posted:

Is there a site where I can get direct downloads of Windows 7 updates in a nice little list or something? I'm getting poo poo speeds from microsoft through every single program I've tried that says it does this, when the downloads don't time out entirely.
Can you wait for SP1 in a couple of weeks? That's going to make keeping an archive of Windows 7 updates a lot easier.