Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001

Psybro posted:

A great thing about Stewart Lee is that he satirises people who won't like his act, during the act, and actually does it throughout the Top Gear bit, something lost on people who prefer stuff like the American stand-ups he takes the piss out of.

The absolute pinnacle being lying flat on his back off stage screaming about Del Boy falling through the bar, before looking at the camera and resignedly saying, "That's what you like."

So wait... what's the problem with that particular scene again?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

Just that it's repeatedly cited as being the "number one best comedy moment of all time ever in the world!"

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting

Leyburn posted:

I dunno, in my opinion Only Fools and Horses has dated horribly, has never made me laugh even once and is looked upon with nostalgia-tinted glasses by a shockingly high number of people as some great British sitcom institution. If they aired it now it would get slaughtered in the press. I'll take people's word for it that it was hilarious in its day but that style of comedy is long gone now and personally it does nothing for me.

I imagine a lot of people will find this post very contrarian no matter what so I may as well go all out and throw in Fawlty Towers and Dad's Army in there with it too. They're not funny.

gently caress it: Father Ted and Red Dwarf weren't as good as people remember either.

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Here's the bit

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYM_Jy20Fcg#t=3m40s

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001

Hoops posted:

I dunno, in my opinion Only Fools and Horses has dated horribly, has never made me laugh even once and is looked upon with nostalgia-tinted glasses by a shockingly high number of people as some great British sitcom institution. If they aired it now it would get slaughtered in the press. I'll take people's word for it that it was hilarious in its day but that style of comedy is long gone now and personally it does nothing for me.

I imagine a lot of people will find this post very contrarian no matter what so I may as well go all out and throw in Fawlty Towers and Dad's Army in there with it too. They're not funny.

gently caress it: Father Ted and Red Dwarf weren't as good as people remember either.

Madness, every single word!

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Every bit of stand-up I've seen from Stewart Lee has made him seem incredibly bitter that he's never achieved a lasting mainstream success. This is no exception. I'm sure if someone came along and deconstructed his act in incredibly sarcastic terms it wouldn't seem particularly funny, but unfortunately he's not famous enough for anyone to want to.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Leyburn posted:

Madness, every single word!

I pretty much agree with what he said about Only Fools, but I disagree with everything else afterwards.

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

Trin Tragula posted:

Every bit of stand-up I've seen from Stewart Lee has made him seem incredibly bitter that he's never achieved a lasting mainstream success. This is no exception. I'm sure if someone came along and deconstructed his act in incredibly sarcastic terms it wouldn't seem particularly funny, but unfortunately he's not famous enough for anyone to want to.
It's an on-stage persona. Hope this helps!

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
I dunno, I reckon Only Fools and Horses is the best sitcom this country has ever made, you've just got to pretend those last three never happened.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine
Richard Ayoade's film Submarine now has a trailer and a release date in March:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STeh-mQSQyE

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

cloudchamber posted:

Richard Ayoade's film Submarine now has a trailer and a release date in March:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STeh-mQSQyE

Interesting.

Also, maybe Only Fools differers from person to person and how much their personal feelings are about London.

Psybro
May 12, 2002

Leyburn posted:

Nothing, it's about the fact that a straightforward bit of slapstick has attained legendary status far beyond its significance because of the lazy reductiveness in popular culture, that produces these talking heads shows focusing on individual moments. Del Boy falling through the bar is mostly funny because of the outstanding job done on writing his character, the scenario, and David Jason's performance.

Trin Tragula posted:

Every bit of stand-up I've seen from Stewart Lee has made him seem incredibly bitter that he's never achieved a lasting mainstream success.

He admits that his onstage persona is often an exaggeration of his worst qualities, something that is true of most stand-ups. He has made a calculated decision to appeal to an intellectual audience mistrustful of, and fed up of, mainstream culture. Nobody would pay to watch a man complain for an hour that nobody likes him.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001

Psybro posted:

Nothing, it's about the fact that a straightforward bit of slapstick has attained legendary status far beyond its significance because of the lazy reductiveness in popular culture, that produces these talking heads shows focusing on individual moments.

Yeah after watching the clip I completely get where Lee is coming from, I had never seen that bit before.

Gram-O-Phone
Mar 9, 2007

Oh, play that thing!
The point about the bar scene is that it's funny the first time you watch it because it's unexpected. It's also quite funny the second time because you're anticipating it.

It's not funny the fiftieth time and constantly repeating, and re-repeating it out of context, and actually analyzing the scene and the performances, ruins an otherwise perfectly good piece of comedy slapstick. The worst thing you can do to a joke is repeat it and dissect it.

Gram-O-Phone fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Feb 7, 2011

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Outcraps, er I mean Outcasts starts on BBC One in a couple of minutes, hopefully it won't be another BBC piece of poo poo like Survivors and The Deep.

[edit]This child actor is awful, I hope a meteor lands on him.

Brown Moses fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Feb 7, 2011

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
I really can't see any BBC produced drama appealing to me, but I may as well give this a bash for one episode at least.

Why not in HD BBC?

John_Anon_Smith
Nov 26, 2007
:smug:
My favourite bit is when Trigger makes that face.

N3RDSTER
Mar 27, 2010
I'm only half watching it but Outcasts seems pretty standard fare for BBC sci-fi that isn't Doctor Who: pretty poo poo.

I don't care what anyone says about Survivors though, that show was hilarious because it was so poo poo. It was so poo poo it was amazing, and I'm genuinely and unironically disappointed it's been canned.

Afterdark
Sep 27, 2006
And that last british scfi attempt on BBC3, that comedy poo poo fest, cant remember its name.

Its looking good so far, I know Jamie Bamber is british but damm can he pull off different accents well, I remember him from Battlestar.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
:rolleyes:

this guy ain't no Eddie Olmos

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

N3RDSTER posted:

I'm only half watching it but Outcasts seems pretty standard fare for BBC sci-fi that isn't Doctor Who: pretty poo poo.

I agree with N3RDSTER.

"people are clapping" BLAAAAAH, boring. Glad I was kicked out the front room and so am watching this in my bedroom so my family won't hate me for having this on the big telly :genericsmiley:

Afterdark
Sep 27, 2006
yeh the speech and clapping bit was cringeworthy

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Anyone else hoping the ship crashes into the colony?

Afterdark
Sep 27, 2006
Like a missile

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
Child actors need to be banned

EDIT: I hope he gets eaten by tigers

Fatkraken fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Feb 7, 2011

N3RDSTER
Mar 27, 2010
This has been grating on me the whole episode too: Carpathia. I don't think I could come up with a more generic sci-fi name for a planet if you paid me. I don't care if it was actually the name of a ship.

Afterdark
Sep 27, 2006

Fatkraken posted:

EDIT: I hope he gets eaten by tigers

Hes going to drown him!

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Fatkraken posted:

This. Other than the kids acting I'm enjoying it

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
On the plus side, Starship Troopers 3 on channel 5 right afterwards.

OH NO he done fell down de mown-tin

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

All these characters are boring and totally unengaging.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

Mitchell Hogan gets obese next week.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
CALLING IT NOW GHOST ALIENS

Jamie Bambers second personality is totally a ghost alien

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

Fatkraken posted:

CALLING IT NOW GHOST ALIENS

Jamie Bambers second personality is totally a ghost alien

A fat ghost alien tiger

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

KILL THE BOY

Afterdark
Sep 27, 2006
Ah the alien angle already

EDIT: YESSSSS kill!

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Hope this poo poo explodes.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

Blow up stupid captain

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
I hope the aliens are from the spaces between spaces.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
it crashes in the loving lake innit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

I just realised I want every character in this to die.