Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Lzn64 posted:

I think Sanderson flat out said in some annotations somewhere that they aren't coming back. At least, Vin, Elend and Kelsier aren't. He *has* said that it's possible for Sazed, Marsh or TenSoon to appear in later books, but I am fairly sure he outright specifically said that Vin, Elend and Kelsier won't be back.

Yep. The line in question was referring to the afterlife, which is real in this setting. They're all there and happy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jorenko
Jun 6, 2004

I think you're just mad 'cause you're single.
Can we mark which book we're spoiling? I'm halfway through my first trek through Sanderson's collected works.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

Jorenko posted:

Can we mark which book we're spoiling? I'm halfway through my first trek through Sanderson's collected works.

Everything after Velius' post is about Mistborn.

Maybe from now on leave the name of the book/series you're talking about unspoiled?

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!

senae posted:

Everything after Velius' post is about Mistborn.

Maybe from now on leave the name of the book/series you're talking about unspoiled?

Yeah, that would be good; I would love to talk about Mistborn, but I haven't read Way of Kings yet so I didn't mouse over any of those spoilers.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Here are the latest tweets from Brandon about the new Mistborn book.

Brandon Sanderson's Twitter posted:

Another week of working on the Alloy of Law revision. I think you guys are going to enjoy this book--very fun.

It has a slightly more "pulp" feel than the original Mistborn books; more action, a little more humor, hopefully some great characters.

People are asking about Alloy of Law release date. Tor is telling me November of this year.

Well we couldn't get A Memory of Light this November, but this should get us through till March.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Cartoon Man posted:

Here are the latest tweets from Brandon about the new Mistborn book.

Well we couldn't get A Memory of Light this November, but this should get us through till March.

I dunno about you, but it'll get me through, perhaps, an entire day if it's shorter than Mistborn 1 like he says!

thecallahan
Nov 15, 2004

Since I was five Tara, all I've ever wanted was a Harley and cut.
The man is a machine!

After I finish reading Savages I think I might go re-read at least the first Mistborn book and read the commentary. Is it best to read a chapter, then read the the commentary or should I read a few chapters before reading commentary? I want to make sure it flows right (if that makes any sense).

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

thecallahan posted:

The man is a machine!

After I finish reading Savages I think I might go re-read at least the first Mistborn book and read the commentary. Is it best to read a chapter, then read the the commentary or should I read a few chapters before reading commentary? I want to make sure it flows right (if that makes any sense).

Read the whole thing, then the commentary. I think you can do it book by book, though, I'm pretty sure he avoids spoilering outside books.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

NinjaDebugger posted:

Read the whole thing, then the commentary. I think you can do it book by book, though, I'm pretty sure he avoids spoilering outside books.

I believe he goes so far as to avoid spoiling future chapters, so you're probably safe to read the commentary concurrently. He mentions his spoiler policy somewhere in the commentary section, so I'd double check to be safe.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
Yeah, but he also includes tagged and blocked (you can reveal them with a little javascript button) spoilers so it might just be better to hold off if you think you won't be able to resist.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Wells of Ascension is really dragging. I get it, Vin, it's hard to trust and you're only very slowly growing as a person. But, please, let's not spend entire chapters in a dress shop.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Haraksha posted:

Wells of Ascension is really dragging. I get it, Vin, it's hard to trust and you're only very slowly growing as a person. But, please, let's not spend entire chapters in a dress shop.

The middle half of Well is drag-tastic. Sanderson acknowledges this in his commentary, in that he tends to build for the "Sanderson Avalanche," sometimes to the point where the middle of his works suffers for it. The first step to overcoming one's problems is to know them!

Luckily, the last quarter of the book, the avalanche, is more up to par with Mistborn 1.. And almost the entirety of Hero of Ages is awesome.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
I just don't find Vin to be very interesting. I want to know more about Marsh and Sazed.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Haraksha posted:

I just don't find Vin to be very interesting. I want to know more about Marsh and Sazed.

You'll learn a LOT about Sazed in Hero of Ages. Marsh too, but not as much.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Haraksha posted:

Everyone gets a lot cooler in the last book.

thecallahan
Nov 15, 2004

Well I've read the series already so I don't need to worry about spoilers. And IRQ, I can't quite 100% agree with your statement but it's close!

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

thecallahan posted:

Well I've read the series already so I don't need to worry about spoilers. And IRQ, I can't quite 100% agree with your statement but it's close!

Who do you think doesn't get cooler in Hero?

Jorenko
Jun 6, 2004

Mahlertov Cocktail posted:

Who do you think doesn't get cooler in Hero?

(HoA)Sazed gets better right at the end of course, but he's a tedious, repetitious bore of ridiculous depression for 90% of the book.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Jorenko posted:

(HoA)Sazed gets better right at the end of course, but he's a tedious, repetitious bore of ridiculous depression for 90% of the book.

My thoughts exactly. I loved the book, but I wished we got to see more of Ten Soon's people and community.

thecallahan
Nov 15, 2004

Jorenko posted:

Jorenko answered first but that was whom I was thinking about. And I'd up the percentage to about 98%.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

Jorenko posted:

True enough. However, his ascending to godhood at the end and using all of those religions to remake the world totally made up for it for me.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Regarding the end of the The Hero of Ages

A big plot point is that Eland and his army use up all the Atium, depriving Ruin of the ability to gain back his power. However, barely a chapter later Sazed uses the combined power of Ruin and Preservation to remake the world, and the impression I got was that he required the power of both to do so. Am I missing something? Did he only use Preservation?

Saradiart
Dec 13, 2009

OPENING MY TAI CHI IS ABOUT AS APPEALING AS THE GOATMAN OPENING HIS ANUS
In regards to future Mistborn novels (recurring character spoilers?) Sanderson has suggested that Sazed will go insane from having two conflicting shard influences and become evil.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Saradiart posted:

In regards to future Mistborn novels (recurring character spoilers?) Sanderson has suggested that Sazed will go insane from having two conflicting shard influences and become evil.

Holy poo poo, that could potentially rule. Hopefully the novella coming out this November will hint towards something like that and set up the next trilogy.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Thoguh posted:

A big plot point is that Eland and his army use up all the Atium, depriving Ruin of the ability to gain back his power. However, barely a chapter later Sazed uses the combined power of Ruin and Preservation to remake the world, and the impression I got was that he required the power of both to do so. Am I missing something? Did he only use Preservation?

Atium was Ruin's body, or something like that. He had plenty of influence over the world but he couldn't directly touch it unless he got his body back. At least that's how I remember it.

Jorenko
Jun 6, 2004

Thoguh posted:

Having just finished it, I've got this fresh in my mind: There are three components to each god: mind, spirit, and body. Ruin's body was the atium. At the point of that fight, Vin+Mist is 2/3 of a god and Ruin+HisSpirit is 2/3. The other 1/3 of Preservation (his body, I think?) is busy powering allomancy and the atium is, as you say, used up. This means they cancel each other's powers out and neither can act. But if Ruin could get the atium it would be 3/3 vs 2/3 and he could do what he wants. So when Vin headbutts Ruin and they kill eachother, Sazed is able to take the spirit component of each god and become the joint mind of the new, reunited, 4/6 of a god.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Saradiart posted:

It probably fits well with what he's got planned for the wider Shardverse, but I don't really like what that does to the ending of the first Mistborn trilogy, particularly as it basically recapitulates Lord Ruler and Preservation.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Jorenko posted:

Having just finished it, I've got this fresh in my mind: There are three components to each god: mind, spirit, and body. Ruin's body was the atium. At the point of that fight, Vin+Mist is 2/3 of a god and Ruin+HisSpirit is 2/3. The other 1/3 of Preservation (his body, I think?) is busy powering allomancy and the atium is, as you say, used up. This means they cancel each other's powers out and neither can act. But if Ruin could get the atium it would be 3/3 vs 2/3 and he could do what he wants. So when Vin headbutts Ruin and they kill eachother, Sazed is able to take the spirit component of each god and become the joint mind of the new, reunited, 4/6 of a god.

IRQ posted:

Atium was Ruin's body, or something like that. He had plenty of influence over the world but he couldn't directly touch it unless he got his body back. At least that's how I remember it.

Okay, that totally makes sense.

Jorenko
Jun 6, 2004

So, I finally finished my Sandersonathon. Well, except for Alcatraz. Anyone here tried those? How different is the style from his fantasy?

Warbreaker was pretty dang good; I'm looking forward to sequels eventually.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Alcatraz is good if you want a random insane version of Harry Potter. Like most Sanderson novels, things do come together towards the end of each book. The magick/talent system is interesting.

Honestly I only reccomend the series if you are a hard core Sanderson fan or have kids. You also may want to get them on the kindle, as the book covers will definately earn you stares from the general public.

Maytag
Nov 4, 2006

it's enough that it all be filled with that majestic sadness that is the pleasure of tragedy.
People really need to stop worrying about what others will think of your book covers. gently caress what people think about your reading habits. Most people don't read regularly anyway.

Gain 20 Pounds
Nov 11, 2007

I just finished Way Of Kings. Fantastic book. I hope we get to see Herdaz or wherever Lopen is from. I want to know if gancho is a Lopen thing or a hilarious cultural thing.

Gain 20 Pounds fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Feb 18, 2011

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

Just finished the Mistborn Trilogy. God drat was it a lot better than I expected. Will have to read through those notes on Sanderson's website to catch all the little bits I missed.

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN

Ferrosol posted:

Just finished the Mistborn Trilogy. God drat was it a lot better than I expected. Will have to read through those notes on Sanderson's website to catch all the little bits I missed.

The second readthru is insane when you realize that he really did start foreshadowing the last chapter of Hero of Ages in the first 100 pages of Mistborn.

And yeah, the annotations are awesome. I kinda wish more authors would do something like that.

dook
Oct 6, 2003
I've read the first two Alcatraz books and really liked them. Very metafiction-y and clever. Although I haven't read any of his adult books. I've been reading tons of children's books for a while because I'm working on a children's novel of my own.

Cthalupa
Feb 24, 2011
Just finished White Sand, and about to start Aether of Night. It was really good - surprised he wasn't able to get it published.

He'll send them to you personally if you go on http://brandonsanderson.com/contact and request them. He's mentioned on reddit and a few other places he's happy to let people read some of his unpublished stuff, as long as they realize that it's not him at his best.

Silenced Parrot
Dec 20, 2008

My god, it's full of Booze!
So, after finding out Brandon was roommates with Ken Jennings and then reading their posts on reddit, I came across this gem:

Brandon Sanderson posted:

There’s got to be a sitcom pitch in here somewhere. Two semi-famous Mormons, living together, being nerds. Like Big Bang Theory, only with more green Jell-O. Glen Beck could play the evil apartment building owner who keeps trying to come up with crazy schemes to get us kicked out, since our apartment is rent controlled to 1870’s prices as long as a pure descendant of Brigham Young lives in it.

Stephenie Meyer is our version of Wilson, only instead of standing behind a fence, she hides in the basement and gives cryptic, half-nonsense advice in exchange for bad poetry. Tom Cruise and Jon Travolta live in the rival Scientologist apartment building across the street, and are always trying to one-up us. Season finale: Cruise secretly joins the church of Inglip.

Sanderson is awesome.

E: http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/fwpzj/iama_74time_jeopardy_champion_ken_jennings_i_will/c1j769x

In case people are curious to read the whole thing.

Silenced Parrot fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Mar 4, 2011

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Silenced Parrot posted:

So, after finding out Brandon was roommates with Ken Jennings and then reading their posts on reddit, I came across this gem:

Sanderson is awesome.

hahah that is amazing

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

I wish he would stop bringing up the mormon thing though, it makes me remember I should hate him. But I don't, because he's awesome.

Internal conflict :smithicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

IRQ posted:

I wish he would stop bringing up the mormon thing though, it makes me remember I should hate him. But I don't, because he's awesome.

Internal conflict :smithicide:

He's one of the good ones!