Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

The stairs lead down in both directions.

i am not so sure posted:

Yeah, the Solaris cover art is pretty terrible, to be honest. I have hopes that at the very least the packaging will be different to save bulkiness. I was also curious as to whether or not they had any Blu-Rays they've done that with... and I guess I should ask about the packaging of Fear and Loathing, since it has the similar clunky box thing going on.

M had one of those chunky boxes as well and they scrapped it for the BRD release. I don't see any reason why they wouldn't do it for any future releases. In fact, practically all the BRD releases have smaller packaging than their DVD counterparts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
they did keep the same slipcover packaging for Videodrome and Breathless, though, just a smaller version of it

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

De Palma didn't win any hype from me until I saw Sisters, holy cow what an effective Hitchcockian movie. I would trade Scarface and Carlito's Way for another movie like Sisters -- sexy, suspenseful, freaky, and uses a few visual tricks to liven up the spectacle. And it's even on Netflix instant play! Get some.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
If you haven't read it, the Criterion Contraption post on it is really good.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

Fag Boy Jim posted:

they did keep the same slipcover packaging for Videodrome and Breathless, though, just a smaller version of it

I can't speak for Breathless, but Videodrome is practically identical to the DVD version, only smaller in size. Also, I think they redesigned the menus. They certainly look sharper on BRD, that's for sure.

Also, I just want to mention that I saw The Night of the Hunter and Paris, Texas back to back for the first time and I'm completely blown away. Both films were great, but it was Paris, Texas that left the biggest impact on me. I never cry at movies and I rarely get choked up, but I got choked up during the conversation between Travis and his ex-wife near the end. Rarely have I ever seen performances as powerful as the ones in this movie. I'm extremely impressed.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

That's awesome, looks like it will be a habit of theirs.

Neo_Reloaded
Feb 27, 2004
Something from Nothing

LaptopGun posted:

That's awesome that Criterion secured the rights for a Fear and Loathing BluRay

Seems kinda pointless to me. Fear And Loathing already has a decent Blu-ray, and I'd rather Criterion focus on titles that other companies haven't / won't release. But I guess it'll sell big for them to a certain audience...

i am not so sure posted:

Quick question -- for the Criterion DVD's with the old lettered logo, if they get upgraded to Blu-Ray, the Blu-Ray edition would have the new C logo, right? Is it a full replica of the original cover?

Also, if the original DVD (Solaris) is a big ugly awkward box, is it a possibility that they would change the packaging?

For cover art of Blu-ray upgrades - if the DVD is getting re-issued at the same time, both will share a new cover. If the DVD is not getting reissued, the Blu-ray will have the same cover art as the old DVD (but the BD will always have the new wacky C logo even if the DVD didn't).

For packaging - Criterion has shown they'll try to be faithful to the original packaging, but will not necessarily copy it exactly. Videodrome and Breathless were very faithful to the excellent DVD packaging, but I believe there are other titles that were digipacks on DVD and plain plastic cases for BD.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

i am not so sure posted:

That's awesome, looks like it will be a habit of theirs.

They did change up the cover art for both Seventh Seal and Seven Samurai, and seeing as Solaris could use it, plus the fact that it starts with S, my money's on a revision.

I hope it's something along the lines of this, from the Polish poster:

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

If you haven't read it, the Criterion Contraption post on it is really good.

I make a point of reading the Contraption's take on a Criterion movie soon after watching one. I'm sure nobody in this thread will begrudge me a love of intellectualizing every subtlety a movie can offer. At the same time, I take issue with how that linked post characterizes Sisters as "tawdry" and "blunt," though at least it acknowledges the "fun!" But I also love The Untouchables, so maybe I'm just a softie for blunt-force storytelling. Does this mean I should celebrate the coming release of Blow Out? The trailer makes me think of The Conversation with a lot more emphasis on action (guns, cars). I saw the first several minutes in a freshman film course and liked the setup. What say you?

LaptopGun
Sep 2, 2006

All I'm going to get out of him is a snappy one-liner and, if I'm real lucky, a brand new nickname.

Neo_Reloaded posted:

Seems kinda pointless to me. Fear And Loathing already has a decent Blu-ray, and I'd rather Criterion focus on titles that other companies haven't / won't release. But I guess it'll sell big for them to a certain audience...

It's because there's already a Blu out there that it's so surprising they have it. I think they use releases like Fear and Laothing to bankroll other less well known films. I'm all for it. So far as iknow I am not double dipping for that. Seven Samurai, sure, but I don't have a pathological need (a current Barnes and Noble sale) for that release.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Space Fish posted:

What say you?

The trailer looks way more interesting than I first thought, and I'm a sucker for conspiracy plots, so I'll probably rent it unless Netflix, as usual, doesn't upgrade to the Criterion.

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~
It's been a while since I've seen Blow-Out, but I'll say that I'm not surprised it's getting a Criterion. It's probably De Palma's best movie, and definitely on my wish list.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Space Fish posted:

What say you?

Your description is pretty spot on. It's The Conversation meets Blow Up with more overt action and style. Too bad it isn't nearly as intelligent or entertaining as either, thanks in large part to the standard De Palma techniques that I generally can't stand, like his penchant for ridiculous melodrama, garish lighting, and goofy camera angles that sap the suspense right out of the room. But hey, if you like De Palma...

PeePot
Dec 1, 2002

That Barnes and Noble sale was great, but I wasn't impressed with my first order from them. I'm up in Canada, and was a little hesitant.

Ordered $190 worth, and it shipped November 16th. Last week a friend asked if I watched Antichrist over the holidays, then I realised I never got the package, I was getting almost a package a day from Amazon's big sale and stopped counting.

I emailed B&N on January the 10th, and got a form letter reply, "It's the busy season, the answer to your question should be on our FAQ page." So I filled in the "contact us" on the website, and got the exact same reply. Magically a beat-up box appears two days later. I was panicking in case there was some small print about contacting us within 30 days if there's a problem, or you are poo poo out of luck.

ps. thanks Magic Hate Ball for The Cook The Thief His Wife And Her Lover blue balls.

TheYellowFog
Oct 17, 2008

grain alcohol and rainwater
I ordered Paths of Glory and House back on Nov 4th from Barnes and Noble. House came on time, but Paths of Glory was delayed and I got an email asking for a 30 day extension on the delivery. I said fine, but last week noticed it still wasn't in the mail or a notice. I e-mailed them and asked whats going on and they said my order was cancelled because it took too long to ship and I am welcome to re-order it again. Gee thanks B&N, I guess they just treat Canadians like poo poo.

E.G.G.S.
Apr 15, 2006

:canada: I made two orders from them, the first one i did the moment the sale went up and it took a week to arrive. The second order I made half way through and I didn't get anything for 30ish business days. I'm rather hesitant to make another order from them but I'll probably cave in.

azechiel
Mar 16, 2009
I'm still waiting on my DVD of Scenes From a Marriage from the last sale. It hasn't even shipped yet. I'd just cancel it and reorder, but that's 25 dollars I'm saving. I mean geez.

friendo55
Jun 28, 2008

azechiel posted:

I'm still waiting on my DVD of Scenes From a Marriage from the last sale. It hasn't even shipped yet. I'd just cancel it and reorder, but that's 25 dollars I'm saving. I mean geez.

they really must not like canadians.... I just got an email from B&N on Scenes From A Marriage letting me know the order has been canceled....and yea now that they've done this so late.. with the sale being over.. this is ridiculous.

i'd also just hold off until the next sale in the summer, but who's to say it'll just get canceled then too! I mean i ordered about a dozen movies and only had an issue with this one.. but I shouldn't have ANY issues..! *sigh*

Starscream
Aug 17, 2000
I'm in Canada too and my order during the recent sale took about 6 weeks to get to me. My order last summer got to me within 3 weeks.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

I'm in America and my copy of Slacker ordered from B&N back in November just arrived this past Monday. Side note, I was unaware that it would be one of those double-thick cases and I am feeling some cinephile love for all the extras packed into this set.

PeePot
Dec 1, 2002

Just to keep up my Barnes & Noble derail. When they randomly cancelled Paths of Glory from my order, I re-ordered it with Mystery Train and it arrived in 1 week.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Someone's got a good sense of humor:

Criterion's Facebook posted:

To grant this weather the proper reverence, for the next 24 hours, Ang Lee's modern classic THE ICE STORM will be 50% off ($19.97) with the promo code SNODAY in our online store. Enjoy!

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

Hahahahaha that's awesome.

Smoove J
Sep 13, 2003

yeah Meade's ok I spose
I was just looking at my owned-Criterion flicks:

Seventh Seal
Silence of the Lambs
Vanishing
Repulsion

and it seems (with the exception of Le Samourai, not included on the massive library list above) that I prefer my Criterion films to contain horror, the more cerebral the better. Are there any obvious selections I'm missing out on?

Sisters was mentioned as being freaky, I'll check it out. I should own House, but it's not really the type of horror I'm looking for. Have yet to see Knife in the Water, but I assume that will be a soon-to-purchase (or at least view)... know of any others that might be up this alley?

aside: original Funny Games isn't a Criterion, is it? that would be perfect.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Smoove J posted:

and it seems (with the exception of Le Samourai, not included on the massive library list above) that I prefer my Criterion films to contain horror, the more cerebral the better. Are there any obvious selections I'm missing out on?

Videodrome was the first that came to mind.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

The Night of the Hunter is obvious.

Crumb is pretty close, too, but on a different level.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.

Smoove J posted:

Seventh Seal
Silence of the Lambs
Vanishing
Repulsion

Sisters was mentioned as being freaky, I'll check it out. I should own House, but it's not really the type of horror I'm looking for. Have yet to see Knife in the Water, but I assume that will be a soon-to-purchase (or at least view)... know of any others that might be up this alley?

You need to check out Antichrist. While people are divided about its quality, I really enjoyed it.

Smoove J
Sep 13, 2003

yeah Meade's ok I spose

Fag Boy Jim posted:

Videodrome was the first that came to mind.

Strange, on criticker I have that marked as 'seen' but I definitely have not seen. I liked Crash and Shivers and Scanners, though, so I need to take a look.

Night of the Hunter is good (Icy Spoon rules) as is Crumb, but not really the type of 'Criterion horror' I'm after.

edit: I've never heard of Antichrist, but the premise (along with the stars) sounds cool, thank you!

Smoove J fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Feb 8, 2011

Nroo
Dec 31, 2007

Smoove J posted:

Seventh Seal
Silence of the Lambs
Vanishing
Repulsion

Take your pick:
http://www.criterion.com/explore/119-scary-movies

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Salo's pretty loving horrifying. You also have Eyes Without A Face, Antichrist, Diabolique, Cronos, and, more obliquely, 3 Women and Cries And Whispers.

Smoove J posted:

No.

Smoove J
Sep 13, 2003

yeah Meade's ok I spose

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Salo's pretty loving horrifying. You also have Eyes Without A Face, Antichrist, Diabolique, Cronos, and, more obliquely, 3 Women and Cries And Whispers

Cronos seemed like, I dunno, an action movie to me (not quite apt, but definitely not horror). What do you mean by 'obliquely' (if you can describe without giving away plots)? The others sound good, checking out Antichrist asap.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
In that they're not specifically "horror" but they're unsettling and rather creepy at times.

Smoove J
Sep 13, 2003

yeah Meade's ok I spose

Magic Hate Ball posted:

In that they're not specifically "horror" but they're unsettling and rather creepy at times.

Good enough for me. Thank you, this list should double my collection :)

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

"Unsettling and rather creepy" also applies to Clean, Shaven.

Some others not mentioned yet:

Kwaidan
Vampyr
Peeping Tom
Carnival of Souls
Onibaba
The Last Wave

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

FitFortDanga posted:

"Unsettling and rather creepy" also applies to Clean, Shaven.

That movie hurt the top of my head.

Aorist
Apr 25, 2006

Denham's does it!
I was surprised at how scary Onibaba was. The last few scenes had me in quite the panic.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
Dead Ringers is an out-of-print Criterion, but I'm gonna mention it anyway because Dead Ringers is awesome.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

I may be the only one, but I found Man Bites Dog to be pretty goddamned horrific.

[I had to skip past parts]

Smoove J
Sep 13, 2003

yeah Meade's ok I spose

zenintrude posted:

I may be the only one, but I found Man Bites Dog to be pretty goddamned horrific.

[I had to skip past parts]

I thought it was hilarious! Besides, I mean, all the murder...

Just picked up Vampyr, Hausu and Antichrist (and Dead Man, neither Criterion nor horror, but excellent nonetheless), and had my local B&N order Onibaba and Kwaidan. any other creepy/strange/terrifying classics?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Salo's pretty loving horrifying. You also have Eyes Without A Face, Antichrist, Diabolique, Cronos, and, more obliquely, 3 Women and Cries And Whispers.

I'll also agree with Antichrist and Videodrome, but there is no way I can, in good conscious, recommend the film Salo to anyone. I'd also suggest White Dog, though it's more of a thriller than a horror, but hey if we're going to throw Crumb into the mix (seriously, this film is by no comparison a horror film) then lets go hog wild.