Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Droopy Goines
Aug 2, 2003

Presented in DTS ES 6.1 where available.

fatherdog posted:

Wristlocks are legal, just uncommon.
Akebono vs Royce Gracie is probably the most well known fight where a wristlock was used to end the fight.

Also, Benji Radach vs Armed Robber.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

Grifter posted:

How much does it cost a bar to show a PPV?

It depends on the size of the joint, but I remember seeing $500-1500 thrown around once in a news article.

Salt In The Wound
Oct 25, 2005

Hand Jobber Extraordinare

attackmole posted:

It depends on the size of the joint, but I remember seeing $500-1500 thrown around once in a news article.

I've heard that most of them can get package deals for around a year or so.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Grifter posted:

How much does it cost a bar to show a PPV?

They actually just raised the price. It went up from $440 to $850. If the bar buys every show they can get them for $765. The old price was supposedly really reasonable and was one of the reasons so many places stopped showing WWE PPVs and went with UFC instead after years of showing WWE. (That and UFC was bringing in better crowds.) Some bars have said they'd lose money on smaller shows at the new price.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

MassRayPer posted:

They actually just raised the price. It went up from $440 to $850. If the bar buys every show they can get them for $765. The old price was supposedly really reasonable and was one of the reasons so many places stopped showing WWE PPVs and went with UFC instead after years of showing WWE. (That and UFC was bringing in better crowds.) Some bars have said they'd lose money on smaller shows at the new price.

Yeah, one of our local bars stopped showing UFCs because they couldn't afford the new price.

Meat Recital
Mar 26, 2009

by zen death robot

Mr. Carlisle posted:

Add to that the schedule of only like three or four fights a year and I couldn't see how these guys could survive without being a top star or having sponsorship money.

3-4 fights a year is common in the UFC/Strikeforce, but there are a ton of C- and D- league guys who will fight 10-15 times a year.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Meat Recital posted:

3-4 fights a year is common in the UFC/Strikeforce

Once a year is a lot more common in Strikeforce

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Droopy Goines posted:

Akebono vs Royce Gracie is probably the most well known fight where a wristlock was used to end the fight.

Is there a particular name for this kind of wristlock? it looks like the recipient is getting the same style of arm crank as a kimura, just with a leg triangle around the shoulder. Or am I mistaken?

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

red19fire posted:

Is there a particular name for this kind of wristlock? it looks like the recipient is getting the same style of arm crank as a kimura, just with a leg triangle around the shoulder. Or am I mistaken?

The armlock is called an omoplata and is (as you thought) a shoulderlock. Because Akebono is so drat big Royce couldn't quite finish it, so he finished with the wristlock.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

fatherdog posted:

Once a year is a lot more common in Strikeforce

Less if you count Siyar Bahadurzada :smith:.

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

CORY SCHNEIDER IS FAR MORE MENTALLY STABLE THAN LUONGO AND CAN HANDLE THE PRESSURES OF GOALTENDING IN VANCOUVER
1, What's the deal with UFC cutting guys? I understand that if you lose twice you're cut from the roster (usually) but why is the threshold for losses so low? Are fighters who are signed with UFC receive other benefits, or is it just Dana White (or whoever) wanting to give the illusion that UFC is nothing but the best?

2, My brother sent me this Youtube clip of a fight with a dude who was nicknamed 'the Korean Zombie' against some other dude, who I think is Leonard Garcia. I can't find the particular clip now, but it was basically the two of them beating the hell out of each other. From what I saw, the Korean Zombie had the upper hand for a good deal of the fight, yet wasn't awarded the win. Wikipedia tells me it was a 'controversial' decision, but doesn't explain why Garcia won. Was it a bribe/something shady going on or did he get more style points (?) or something?

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

Perdido posted:

1, What's the deal with UFC cutting guys? I understand that if you lose twice you're cut from the roster (usually) but why is the threshold for losses so low? Are fighters who are signed with UFC receive other benefits, or is it just Dana White (or whoever) wanting to give the illusion that UFC is nothing but the best?

The UFC only has so many roster spots available to fill so many fights on so many shows per year, thus more or less for every new guy they bring in they have to cut someone. With only rare exceptions, guys cut are usually fighters who have no championship potential, don't bring anything else to the table such as popularity or consistently great fights, and are coming off a loss where they didn't look good.

It's not cut and dry that guys are cut after two losses. Some guys have been cut after just one, some guys stay around for four or more. It depends.

quote:

2, My brother sent me this Youtube clip of a fight with a dude who was nicknamed 'the Korean Zombie' against some other dude, who I think is Leonard Garcia. I can't find the particular clip now, but it was basically the two of them beating the hell out of each other. From what I saw, the Korean Zombie had the upper hand for a good deal of the fight, yet wasn't awarded the win. Wikipedia tells me it was a 'controversial' decision, but doesn't explain why Garcia won. Was it a bribe/something shady going on or did he get more style points (?) or something?

It was a very close fight and a lot of people don't like Leonard Garcia. Some people get very angry about decisions in very close fights, which makes it harder to tell the real robberies from the "this guy maybe should have won but a score giving the other guy a win is defensible" fights; Garcia/Jung was one of the latter. Garcia did get a robbery decision over another guy named Nam Phan, though.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Perdido posted:

1. Two losses really isn't that low of a threshold for someone new to the company. It takes a fighter a fairly decent number of fights to get into contention if they don't have name value already. So if you start out 0-2 or 1-2, you will literally take several years to get into competition in any division other than heavyweight due to depth. What's the point in keeping someone around with that record when there is always someone new you can give a chance to? There are always fighters trying to get into UFC or coming off of The Ultimate Fighter so there has to be a lot of roster moves to compensate.

As for benefits, they pay more, they offer you and your corner more money when you are in town to fight, better sponsorship opportunities due to exposure (and will sometimes hook fighters up with sponsorships for Spike shows) and pay out large bonuses, both disclosed and not disclosed. On top of that there's added small pay days for stuff like gym openings, signings and the convention they do once or twice a year.

2. MMA judging sucks. There's a lot of judges who don't know poo poo about MMA who are appointed by the commissions who also don't know a lot about MMA. So they sometimes make baffling calls. The Zombie/Garcia fight may not be in the Bottom 5 judging calls of the year in televised MMA.

On top of this Leonard Garcia has a magical power to win fights he's lost. For example, a much worse decision happened in the Leonard Garcia/Nam Phan fight, and in several previous Garcia fights. He's amazing in that way.

Big Bob Pataki
Jan 23, 2009

The Bob that Refreshes
MMA judging is horrible is also an acceptable answer

e: so acceptable in fact that someone else already posted it

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Perdido posted:

1)The UFC can't maintain an infinite roster of fighters, so they'll end up cutting 0-1 and 0-2 guys in favor of signing new prospects who will either sink or swim. This isn't always a hard rule though - they won't immediately cut former champions, and they won't aggressively cut guys in thin weight classes like heavyweight. Also, being cut from the UFC doesn't mean you can't get back in - just pick up a couple wins in Shark Fights or a similar regional promotion and you can get invited back.

2)Judging in MMA can be very, very bad. There are a couple reasons:
-Judges don't know poo poo about MMA because they came from a boxing background
-Judges don't know poo poo because they might not be paying attention (Cecil Peoples)
-Judges sitting at cageside don't get a very clear view of the fight - athletic commissions have resisted attempts to install some type of closed circuit monitoring system
-Athletic commission directors have fostered a culture of judging that discourages 10-10 rounds
-MMA rules can be a bit nebulous, especially when dealing with criteria like "Octagon/cage control" and "aggression"

Basically Leonard Garcia has won a poo poo load of split decisions he should have lost because he looks active, always moving forward and punching. Even if his punches aren't landing, it looks like he's being busy. When you combine poorly-defined criteria that with the culture of judging that discourages judges from awarding draw rounds.

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

CORY SCHNEIDER IS FAR MORE MENTALLY STABLE THAN LUONGO AND CAN HANDLE THE PRESSURES OF GOALTENDING IN VANCOUVER
Great answers, thank you!

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

Droopy Goines posted:

also wich alot of people dont get is this guy was a sumo wrestler and he didnt use his sumo art in the ring some reason they dont let sumos use it. im guessing because they send there apponent flying and dead
TheSumoSamurai 2 days ago

he wasnt using sumo in this fight or the other guy would be dead or unconcious in the crows somwhere.
TheSumoSamurai 2 days ago

i hate ju jitsu, karate kills all
Focusmanz 1 week ago

Save Russian Jews
Jun 7, 2007

who the fuck is this guy anyway, i can't even see his face

Lipstick Apathy

jeffersonlives posted:

It's not cut and dry that guys are cut after two losses. Some guys have been cut after just one

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Gerald Harris is a good case of how the cutting can be inconsistent--dude puts together two TKOs followed by one of the best knockouts of the year, has one lovely performance in a decision loss right after the WEC merger, and gets released.

JamMaster Flash
Dec 3, 2003

Mr. Carlisle posted:

One thing I've always wondered for the guys that are just starting out and make very little money - how do they survive? It seems as if the costs of just getting themselves stitched up and rehabilitated after a fight (if they took a beating) would cost far more than how much they'd make from their first few fights. Do they get any sort of medical coverage by the company or is it like pro wrestling where they are considered independent contractors and have to fend for themselves? Do they try to fit in fight training time during their day jobs?

MMA fighter reporting in.

I have a part time job that pays most of the bills (and gives me health insurance, that is the main benefit). I am a brown belt in BJJ so I teach group and private lessons on the side as well.

I have gotten free stitches a couple times after fights, but like fatherdog said, most of my real injuries come from training.

But yeah, my typical day is working 4am - 12pm then training, chilling for a few hours then training again. On days I don't work I can train more, and I will usually try to pull less hours if I am getting ready for a fight.

It's a tough lifestyle, especially lower on the food chain...I essentially have to work as hard as the top guys in order to compete with them, but I also have to make sure I have enough money for MRI's, new shinguards and fish oil. I have been told by my trainer that to make it you have to make sacrifices, and I have learned that firsthand during my amateur and pro career. I plan on seeing how far I can take it, since I am still young and I feel I am getting better every day. There's no better encouragement than that!

If anyone is interested maybe I could make a thread for questions or something, since there's all this space in the new subforum, haha.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

JamMaster Flash posted:

I have a part time job that pays most of the bills (and gives me health insurance, that is the main benefit). I am a brown belt in BJJ so I teach group and private lessons on the side as well.

I have gotten free stitches a couple times after fights, but like fatherdog said, most of my real injuries come from training.

But yeah, my typical day is working 4am - 12pm then training, chilling for a few hours then training again. On days I don't work I can train more, and I will usually try to pull less hours if I am getting ready for a fight.

It's a tough lifestyle, especially lower on the food chain...I essentially have to work as hard as the top guys in order to compete with them, but I also have to make sure I have enough money for MRI's, new shinguards and fish oil. I have been told by my trainer that to make it you have to make sacrifices, and I have learned that firsthand during my amateur and pro career. I plan on seeing how far I can take it, since I am still young and I feel I am getting better every day. There's no better encouragement than that!

If anyone is interested maybe I could make a thread for questions or something, since there's all this space in the new subforum, haha.

There are a lot of new posters now; I reckon that would get some interest. Do you have another fight scheduled yet, by the way?

Steve Winwood
Sep 22, 2009

by Ozmaugh

JamMaster Flash posted:

How old are you? I love your posts in the Ask/Tell thread.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

JamMaster Flash posted:

I would love to read your thread, please do!

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

JamMaster Flash posted:

Thanks for the answers and I would definitely be interested in first hand accounts of a fighter making their way up the ladder!

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

JamMaster Flash posted:

Good spot for you to hit up sponsors too, I had a toxx on getting an SASMMA patch on your shorts or something IIRC still stands.

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
If Jason High can have middleeasy.com on his shorts then you can have punchsport pagoda on them.

Big Bob Pataki
Jan 23, 2009

The Bob that Refreshes
You're getting Internet Top Team whether you want it or not

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Has the Internet Top Team logo been modified to resemble mobn yet? If not, why not?

Save Russian Jews
Jun 7, 2007

who the fuck is this guy anyway, i can't even see his face

Lipstick Apathy

MassRayPer posted:

Has the Internet Top Team logo been modified to resemble mobn yet? If not, why not?

art's supposed to have negative space

(I'm sorry mobn)

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Well that was the thing, I didn't get contacted with the price and no one came through with the art.

As long as it's either

Internet Top Team

SASMMA

or

Punchsport Pagoda

With a recogniseable logo I'm still happy to foot the bill. Just need someone to do the logo and prices for sizes and locations etc.

Chrom1um
Dec 31, 2005
Come and join my doomsday cult!

Bald-n-Nekkid posted:

Wait, if big-time Japanese MMA is possibly on the verge of collapse, and Puro is also on a downturn, what's the big combat sport in Japan? I guess this is more of a Japan question than an MMA question.

The answer is Boxing, an international sport that they have several world champions in.

A year ago the answer might have been Sumo, but Sumo's current implosion is absolutely mythic. The top division's Spring Tournament was just canceled for the first time since 1946, and things are just getting worse. It is roughly comparable to when the Chicago White Sox threw the World Series.

Judo is considered Japan's national sport too to a degree, and is widespread in high school in college, but is not something fought professionally.

K-1 is also bigger than MMA right now, even if it's kind of in trouble too, although FEG will fold DREAM first to protect it.

Anyway, even if big league JMMA dies, there are still a fair amount of grass roots promotions like Shooto, Pancrase, DEEP, and Valkyrie (chick fights). Sengoku is kind of on its way to becoming this sort of promotion, simply in order to survive, as they just released their highly-regarded Middleweight Champion Jorge Santiago (he's on a lot of top 10 lists and will probably go to StrikeForce). I have no idea where puroresu is compared to these but obviously it still exists, and will continue to exist in one form or another.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Bean Fried posted:

The answer is Boxing, an international sport that they have several world champions in.

A year ago the answer might have been Sumo, but Sumo's current implosion is absolutely mythic. The top division's Spring Tournament was just canceled for the first time since 1946, and things are just getting worse. It is roughly comparable to when the Chicago White Sox threw the World Series.

Judo is considered Japan's national sport too to a degree, and is widespread in high school in college, but is not something fought professionally.

K-1 is also bigger than MMA right now, even if it's kind of in trouble too, although FEG will fold DREAM first to protect it.

Anyway, even if big league JMMA dies, there are still a fair amount of grass roots promotions like Shooto, Pancrase, DEEP, and Valkyrie (chick fights). Sengoku is kind of on its way to becoming this sort of promotion, simply in order to survive, as they just released their highly-regarded Middleweight Champion Jorge Santiago (he's on a lot of top 10 lists and will probably go to StrikeForce). I have no idea where puroresu is compared to these but obviously it still exists, and will continue to exist in one form or another.

With the UFC's model I wouldn't be surprised if they got some shows in the coming years. Which I think would lead to the feeding of the UFC's ranks through the smaller organisations, even if it leads to a british kind of thing where guys are signed for local cards then get wrestlefucked a few times on undercards.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
for Japanese MMA there is also THE OUTSIDER, which is just a front for Yakuza and bikers to brawl. it is unfortunately tough to find online :(

Chrom1um
Dec 31, 2005
Come and join my doomsday cult!

BlindSite posted:

With the UFC's model I wouldn't be surprised if they got some shows in the coming years. Which I think would lead to the feeding of the UFC's ranks through the smaller organisations, even if it leads to a british kind of thing where guys are signed for local cards then get wrestlefucked a few times on undercards.

This sounds lovely, although with proper match making maybe some of them wouldn't necessarily get wrestlefucked until they got beyond the bottom tier.

I was thinking a Japanese TUF might do well (airing in Japan, not the U.S., except on the internet or something). Maybe do FWs and WWs (with the idea that some of the competitors that stay in the UFC might eventually trickle down to BW and LW, hopefully giving the UFC at least one Japanese fighter in four different weight classes). Akiyama and Okami could coach it, or maybe they could co-host it, and it'd lead into a Japanese TUF Finale followed by a more major Japanese show a week later where the coaches fight. If Akiyama isn't coaching on it, he'd be a perfect host, with Dana White showing up a few times. Maybe get some Japanese Willa Ford type (ala TUF 1) to be a co-host.

I think WOWOW would air it and the TUF Japan Finale, and it could be aired on the internet outside Japan (hell maybe show TUF Japan Finale on Facebook).

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
The problem with producing content for Japan is they simply don't have the TV pipelines. Zach Arnold says they're finally in talks about sponsorship and could make headway there, but even if they do, the market is frankly bad at the moment and is going to be outright hostile to them. I don't think the TV audience would care much about TUF.

I don't know why they're wasting resources in Japan when Korea has been sat in their lap for years.

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

What are you lookin at...

JamMaster Flash posted:

Yes make a post

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

After watching a few more fights that have been posted here and there I've noticed a ton of leg kicks and guys kicking each other in the knees and whatnot - is there some sort of way to toughen your legs up so that your bones don't snap in half when walloping someones knees with your own unprotected leg?

It seems as if those kicks to the leg that don't hit the meaty parts hurt you nearly as much as your opponent. I'm shocked that more guys don't end up with broken legs in the middle of a fight. Again, this is most likely a stupid question but do they 'toughen' their legs somehow through repeated strikes in training or something?

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

Mr. Carlisle posted:

After watching a few more fights that have been posted here and there I've noticed a ton of leg kicks and guys kicking each other in the knees and whatnot - is there some sort of way to toughen your legs up so that your bones don't snap in half when walloping someones knees with your own unprotected leg?

It seems as if those kicks to the leg that don't hit the meaty parts hurt you nearly as much as your opponent. I'm shocked that more guys don't end up with broken legs in the middle of a fight. Again, this is most likely a stupid question but do they 'toughen' their legs somehow through repeated strikes in training or something?

Its not a dumb question at all. Bone tissue, contrary to common knowledge is continually resorbed and replaced by the body in a process known as remodeling. This occurs naturally throughout your life, but because the body is responsive and adaptive, remodeling doesn't necessarily replace exactly what was resorbed. Added stress, trauma and other factors can cause either more or less new bone remodeling in a specific part of the body. People who kick a lot, naturally do a lot of damage to those bones, microfractures and the like. Over time, remodeling in those areas is increased causing increased bone tissue density in those areas, making them less susceptible to damage.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Thanks! I had no idea bone tissue actually did increase density like that. I knew fractures and breaks obviously healed back together but I had no idea bones could be conditioned to absorb more damage over time.

Are training breaks and fractures common when doing conditioning like this? You always hear about guys being pulled out of fights from a 'training injury' and I've always wondered if there were more common ones that happen in training.

Orange Carlisle fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Feb 10, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

Looks like someone should have done more remodeling. *slide whistle*