Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

I can't figure out how a company like Mahindra stays in business...although they've managed to maintain exposure by bungling just about every step in their US launch.

Maybe it was intentional?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

kimbo305 posted:

Ruh roh, the Mahindra pickup's fuel economy sucks:
http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2011/02/mahindra-tr40-rated-at-a-disappointing-1921-mpg.html

What the hell? I guess the city mileage is an improvement, but the highway mileage is not better than a gasser.

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan
So you are paying for a poo poo quality Indian pickup with the same efficiency as a gas engine. Paying more for fuel and receiving no mileage savings;smart.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
It'd be interesting to see what ratings a diesel Hilux/Ranger/Colorado/Navara would get under the US regime. I'll bet they wouldn't do as well as they do elsewhere.

For reference a 4l auto 4wd Navara is rated 17mpg combined here, a 2.5 auto diesel 4wd is 26 combined (with a Hilux being slightly better in each case).

Speed is a huge enemy of economy in diesels, especially those without a lot of power thus requiring short gearing, and I'll bet US specific emissions gear can't be helping any.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

dissss posted:

It'd be interesting to see what ratings a diesel Hilux/Ranger/Colorado/Navara would get under the US regime. I'll bet they wouldn't do as well as they do elsewhere.

For reference a 4l auto 4wd Navara is rated 17mpg combined here, a 2.5 auto diesel 4wd is 26 combined (with a Hilux being slightly better in each case).

Speed is a huge enemy of economy in diesels, especially those without a lot of power thus requiring short gearing, and I'll bet US specific emissions gear can't be helping any.

The EPA doesn't record fuel economy for medium duty trucks, but pickuptrucks.com aslo did a recent exhaustive comparison of American medium duty trucks and got about the same fuel economy.

http://special-reports.pickuptrucks.com/2010/08/2010-hd-fuel-economy-test.html

Those are very large trucks with 6.7l V8s putting out >700 ft.lbs of torque.

Throatwarbler fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Feb 5, 2011

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Why haven't I been seeing updates about the latest priapism from Lamborghini?

Click here for the full 1280x782 image.

http://blog.caranddriver.com/lamborghini-releases-best-pic-yet-of-aventador-lp700-4/

quote:

Just a few weeks out from the Geneva auto show, Lamborghini has given us the clearest look yet at its upcoming V-12 monstercar, which we expect will be called the Aventador LP700-4. The picture shows gaping front and side air inlets, projector headlights, and a prominent strake through the hood’s center. Compared to earlier photos of prototypes, we see a more-defined and angular front end—it’s definitely reminiscent of the fighter-jet-cool Reventón.

The Aventador will arrive with a 6.5-liter V-12 engine touting 700 hp and 509 lb-ft of torque. (For more info, have a look at our detailed rundown of this new engine.) The gearbox is a seven-speed, single-clutch automated manual, which routes the power through an all-wheel-drive system. Carbon-ceramic brakes will come standard, and the body may be built from advanced Forged Composite carbon fiber—although that technology may not yet be ready for prime time. For the discriminating buyer, the Aventador will offer a full slate of options, as we learned from the car’s leaked order guide.

We’ll be in Geneva in early March to cover the Aventador’s reveal, which should be accompanied by full specs and pricing info. Check back then to see our coverage live from the show floor.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
I think cuz it looks too much like the Murcielago. Ferrari changed it up with the 458; Lambo should keep up.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

14 INCH DICK TURBO posted:

http://blog.caranddriver.com/lamborghini-releases-best-pic-yet-of-aventador-lp700-4/

Well, mid engine supercars aren't really all that interesting as a class.

I guess it's kind of interesting that they have chosen to go with a single clutch gearbox and traditional port fuel injection, like the Lexus LFA.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Has the SLS Roadster been properly unveiled yet? Because it was in the M-B Superbowl Ad.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Goober Peas posted:

I can't figure out how a company like Mahindra stays in business...

Mahindra ag equipment is pretty solid and cheap as hell

People only see the truck side, but honestly, this "bringing a pickup to America" is pretty unimportant to them.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

I'll be at the Geneva show first weekend in March so I'll post up some pictures of the beast as soon as I can.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Looks like it might have some Sesto Elemento design cues to it, I'm guessing it'll look like a less ridiculous looking version...then again they could do some wacky/awesome two tone paint job with it.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

It looks boring and not very next gen lambo :( .

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Good news W-body fans, the Impala will be kept in production until 2014!

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/02/07/2012-chevy-impala-to-soldier-on-with-new-v6-replacement-delayed/

Boy I'm sure glad they killed the G8 to make room for it.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Throatwarbler posted:

Good news W-body fans, the Impala will be kept in production until 2014!

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/02/07/2012-chevy-impala-to-soldier-on-with-new-v6-replacement-delayed/

Boy I'm sure glad they killed the G8 to make room for it.

Good news, rental agency operators!

Up until I got a Camry a week and a half ago, the Impala was the most tolerable "full-size" rental car I've had.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
IF they are going to bring in a DOHC engine to replace the 3.9l OHV and a 6 speed trans too, I can see the weight going up and fuel economy suffering, although the power and torque might be up too.

EDIT: Is this the end of the GM 60* OHV V6? :ohdear:

Throatwarbler fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Feb 8, 2011

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Throatwarbler posted:

IF they are going to bring in a DOHC engine to replace the 3.9l OHV and a 6 speed trans too, I can see the weight going up and fuel economy suffering, although the power and torque might be up too.

The modern V6 + six speed should be more than efficient enough to offset the weight penalty.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

dissss posted:

The modern V6 + six speed should be more than efficient enough to offset the weight penalty.

The 3.6l DOHC/6 speed Malibu, a smaller, lighter car, gets worse fuel economy than the 3.9l OHV/4 speed Impala.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Throatwarbler posted:

The 3.6l DOHC/6 speed Malibu, a smaller, lighter car, gets worse fuel economy than the 3.9l OHV/4 speed Impala.

Hmmm would not have picked that. Although it does appear the Malibu and Impala only ~60 lbs different in weight

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

dissss posted:

Hmmm would not have picked that. Although it does appear the Malibu and Impala only ~60 lbs different in weight

The direct injected 3.6l in the Camaro does about the same, although it is 312hp. It's unlikely they will use the DI engine on the Impala anyway.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Throatwarbler posted:

The direct injected 3.6l in the Camaro does about the same, although it is 312hp. It's unlikely they will use the DI engine on the Impala anyway.

I guess the 3.9 is a better design than the old Buick 3.8 they put in the Commodore - even with the same four speed auto and no direct injection the newer 3.6 was a bit better on fuel

heat
Sep 4, 2003

The Mad Monk

I would feel like such an rear end in a top hat putting on that vinyl. Flat black vinyl wrap best vinyl wrap

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

heat posted:

I would feel like such an rear end in a top hat putting on that vinyl. Flat black vinyl wrap best vinyl wrap

That's Lamborghini's optical camo and not for style.

heat
Sep 4, 2003

The Mad Monk

A5H posted:

That's Lamborghini's optical camo and not for style.

Well now I'm intrigued, can you elaborate? I googled quickly but all I found was this sweet kinect hack that turns you into the Predator

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qhXQ_1CQjg

heat fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Feb 8, 2011

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!
Wow, just realized I'm officially bored of flat black. That fad came and went pretty fast.

heat posted:

Well now I'm intrigued, can you elaborate?
All those black/white swirls makes it very difficult to follow body lines.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

heat posted:

Well now I'm intrigued, can you elaborate? I googled quickly but all I found was this sweet kinect hack that turns you into the Predator

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qhXQ_1CQjg

http://www.google.co.uk/#hl=en&safe...4fe5440d2b107d0

Hog Obituary
Jun 11, 2006
start the day right

heat posted:

http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&biw=1680&bih=925&gbv=2&tbs=isch:1&sa=1&q=camoflage+car+testing&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=

Look at all the black and white ones.

heat
Sep 4, 2003

The Mad Monk
Thanks! I learn new poo poo multiple times a day in this forum. I don't really see how that pattern hides the lines, especially since it was cut into lots of pieces and not matched back up, but then again I'm not a car paparazzi. The third link in A5H's google search is pretty hilarious: http://www.worldcarfans.com/110051026132/camouflaged-bmw-x3-prototype-triggers-bomb-scare-in-new

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

heat posted:

Thanks! I learn new poo poo multiple times a day in this forum. I don't really see how that pattern hides the lines, especially since it was cut into lots of pieces and not matched back up, but then again I'm not a car paparazzi.

The patterns make the car appear flat when photographed since the distorted swirls and dots patterns make the horizontal and vertical aspects of the car are difficult to differentiate.

They don't tend to wrap all of the car because they sometimes use body panels from existing models, so there is no reason to cover up those parts.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

So my company does online video analysis. The Bridgestone Superbowl ads so have have amassed over 6 million views, while the Acura Sports Wagon ad (which was rolled out in October) can't even break 500k. Sort of a testament to what a good ad can do for you, as well as how boring Acura is.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

kimbo305 posted:

So my company does online video analysis. The Bridgestone Superbowl ads so have have amassed over 6 million views, while the Acura Sports Wagon ad (which was rolled out in October) can't even break 500k. Sort of a testament to what a good ad can do for you, as well as how boring Acura is.
I'm loath to chalk it up solely to the automatic, but that's pretty much when I personally checked out. I'm not sure the market for wagons that don't look like cancerous mini-SUVs is that large outside of the vocal enthusiast groups. They may well have no idea how to sell it, so their marketing department just fell back to "hey, let's make an ad with a car in it." I don't think they're even selling the TSX wagon in Canada, which historically is a bigger market for hatchbacks than the USA. Oh, we are getting it. Wait, no. We were getting it, then Honda spontaneously cancelled it due to "market conditions."

If Cadillac can somehow justify having a rear-wheel-drive supercharged V8 station wagon with manual transmission and automatic options, Honda sure as hell can justify a front-wheel-drive four cylinder with the same option.

But then again, I also bristled at them calling a 200bhp FWD luxury sedan a "sports car," nice as the Acura TSX (which features a manual transmission option with the four cylinder and costs the same as an optioned-out WRX in its base trim) is.

e: Why can't I get an Accord wagon? Is the overlap between "people buying a base-model luxury car" and "people who want a station wagon" actually large enough to justify making it an Acura-only model? What the hell are they doing?

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Feb 9, 2011

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

Seat Safety Switch posted:

If Cadillac can somehow justify having a rear-wheel-drive supercharged V8 station wagon with manual transmission and automatic options, Honda sure as hell can justify a front-wheel-drive four cylinder with the same option.

Because GM is known for making intelligent business decisions...

And in fairness to Honda, look at who sells wagons these days. You've got BMW, Volvo, Audi, Subaru and who else? Mercedes doesn't sell them anymore, at least not in the US.

Near-luxury seems to be the last niche the wagon can actually survive in, so it does make sense.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
Never forget Saab.

Edit: Oh no they're not making the new 9-5 into a wagon? What to believe in now?!

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

Pontius Pilate posted:

Never forget Saab.

Edit: Oh no they're not making the new 9-5 into a wagon? What to believe in now?!

Yeah they are!

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/01/19/saab-9-5-sportcombi-leaked-ahead-of-geneva-debut/

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

The X-bow based 4C is confirmed:
http://www.evo.co.uk/news/evonews/263068/new_alfa_romeo_4c_gta_sports_car.html
I have to admit, it totally looks FR there. The baby 8C styling isn't as good as the concept render of the other car, but still looks good.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

Those are pictures of the 8C, they're only speculating that the 4C will look like it.

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!
Question: How insane would one have to be to buy a first year model from Alfa?

(I'm already toying with the idea of getting a used one a few years after release)

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
A whole bunch of poo poo just came out at the Chicago Auto show.

:geno: - Camaro ZL1, with the LSA engine and magnetic dampers.

:dance: - Charger SRT8, with the 6.4l Hemi. This one looks really good.

:stare: - 429hp 5.0l V8 Genesis Sedan.

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!

Throatwarbler posted:

:dance: - Charger SRT8, with the 6.4l Hemi. This one looks really good.

This car is vomit-inducing. It's like they just took the front clip off of an Evo X and called it a day, I can't believe they're going with that style.

quote:

:stare: - 429hp 5.0l V8 Genesis Sedan.

Don't care, when does it go in the coupe? :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

Dave Inc. posted:

Don't care, when does it go in the coupe? :colbert:

Probably never.