Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp

Thermopyle posted:

code:
therms@EHUD:~$ ls -dl /media
drwxr-xr-x 6 root root 4096 2011-01-15 22:40 /media
therms@EHUD:~$ ls -dl /media/LVM\ Pool/
drwx------ 11 therms therms 4096 2010-12-31 15:27 /media/LVM Pool/
As is obvious, I'm not a guru when it comes to linux permissions.

Could you explain a little bit what the consequences of your recommendation are? (I'm also googlin')

The x bit on directories allows traversal (not sure if that's quite the right word), so for example to access /foo/bar/baz, a user needs execute permissions on /foo/ and /foo/bar/ in addition to whatever permissions are on baz. To be able to see the contents of a directory requires both read and execute access. In your case you either need to change the group of LVM Pool and set it to (at least) 710, or set it to 711 without changing the group.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

spoon0042 posted:

The x bit on directories allows traversal (not sure if that's quite the right word), so for example to access /foo/bar/baz, a user needs execute permissions on /foo/ and /foo/bar/ in addition to whatever permissions are on baz. To be able to see the contents of a directory requires both read and execute access. In your case you either need to change the group of LVM Pool and set it to (at least) 710, or set it to 711 without changing the group.

Thanks a lot. I just did a chmod 777, and that fixed everything.

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp

Thermopyle posted:

Thanks a lot. I just did a chmod 777, and that fixed everything.

Er, that gives anyone write access, which may be fine if noone else uses the computer but is generally not what you want.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

spoon0042 posted:

Er, that gives anyone write access, which may be fine if noone else uses the computer but is generally not what you want.

Ahh, yeah. I just meant I tried that out to see if that was the actual issue I was having and everything worked.

I changed it to 770 after that. If I understand correctly that only gives the group and the owner read, write, and execute, correct?

TheGopher
Sep 7, 2009
You should reread this:

spoon0042 posted:

In your case you either need to change the group of LVM Pool and set it to (at least) 710, or set it to 711 without changing the group.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

TheGopher posted:

You should reread this:

I did. 710 with the group changed didn't fix anything. Neither did 711.

TheGopher
Sep 7, 2009
Try 751.

fake edit: If that doesn't work, try 771, then 775. You should avoid using 777 if possible.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

TheGopher posted:

Try 751.

fake edit: If that doesn't work, try 771, then 775. You should avoid using 777 if possible.

Out of curiosity...why are those better than the 770 that's already working? It seems like 770 should be denying access to everyone except the user and group, which is what I want.

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004
I'm super new to linux so I think I'm just using the wrong word combinations to search for so I'm coming up empty.

I'm using Ubuntu to run my HTPC with XBMC. I'm having problems so I have to submit a log. The log is found under /home/user/.xbmc/temp/xbmc.log. I can search to get to the log in terminal, but that's were I'm stuck. How can I get that log exported to a notepad style that I can upload to pastebin?

covener
Jan 10, 2004

You know, for kids!

savesthedayrocks posted:

I'm super new to linux so I think I'm just using the wrong word combinations to search for so I'm coming up empty.

I'm using Ubuntu to run my HTPC with XBMC. I'm having problems so I have to submit a log. The log is found under /home/user/.xbmc/temp/xbmc.log. I can search to get to the log in terminal, but that's were I'm stuck. How can I get that log exported to a notepad style that I can upload to pastebin?

something like

code:
gedit /home/user/.xbmc/temp/xbmc.log
will probably give you your easiest copy/paste.

text editor
Jan 8, 2007
New debian looks like it will be released in the next few hours, including the new Debian with FreeBSD's kernel

I'll throw image links up here as soon as they get posted on identi.ca/twitter/debian's site

text editor
Jan 8, 2007
Debian Released! It is still being pushed to mirrors, but here are links:

Debian 6 - i386
http://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/6.0.0/i386/bt-cd/debian-6.0.0-i386-netinst.iso.torrent

Debian 6 - AMD64
http://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/6.0.0/amd64/bt-cd/debian-6.0.0-amd64-netinst.iso.torrent

Debian 6 kfreebsd - i386
http://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/6.0.0/kfreebsd-i386/bt-cd/debian-6.0.0-kfreebsd-i386-netinst.iso.torrent

Debian 6 kfreebsd - AMD64
http://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/6.0.0/kfreebsd-amd64/bt-cd/debian-6.0.0-kfreebsd-amd64-netinst.iso.torrent

EDIT: Be sure to seed long after finishing, since a lot of people will be grabbing this

text editor fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Feb 6, 2011

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004
Squeeze as testing has been stable for the months I've been running it on my Sheevaplug. I doubt much has changed since I ran updated this morning.

code:
root@coeus:~# cat /etc/debian_version 
root@coeus:~# aptitude update && aptitude full-upgrade 

[...]

No packages will be installed, upgraded, or removed.
0 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 0 B of archives. After unpacking 0 B will be used.
:smugdog:

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
How is zfs on kfreebsd? Or is it nonexistent at this point?

text editor
Jan 8, 2007
Holy poo poo, I've been using Linux for like 6 years, why the hell have I never hit the tab key while typing things in the prompt before?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

ClosedBSD posted:

Debian Released! It is still being pushed to mirrors, but here are links:

And the full CD1:

http://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/6.0.0/i386/bt-cd/debian-6.0.0-i386-CD-1.iso.torrent - i386

http://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/6.0.0/amd64/bt-cd/debian-6.0.0-amd64-CD-1.iso.torrent - amd64

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

ClosedBSD posted:

Holy poo poo, I've been using Linux for like 6 years, why the hell have I never hit the tab key while typing things in the prompt before?

Here you go.
An introduction to bash completion: part 1
An introduction to bash completion: part 2

IanMalcolm
Jan 22, 2010

ClosedBSD posted:

You should see what happens when you do that running ZSH.

Talking about ZSH, I just switched from Ubuntu to Fedora, and, as usual, installed ZSH. I noticed that "yum install foo-*" works fine on bash, installing all packages beginning with "foo-", but on ZSH it complains that "foo-*: file not found", as if it were trying to open a local file. If I don't use wildcards, everything works as expected. Has anyone run into this and found a fix? ZSH completion would be great, too.

covener
Jan 10, 2004

You know, for kids!

IanMalcolm posted:

Talking about ZSH, I just switched from Ubuntu to Fedora, and, as usual, installed ZSH. I noticed that "yum install foo-*" works fine on bash, installing all packages beginning with "foo-", but on ZSH it complains that "foo-*: file not found", as if it were trying to open a local file. If I don't use wildcards, everything works as expected. Has anyone run into this and found a fix? ZSH completion would be great, too.

zsh has an option to pass unmatched globs as literals like bash does default:

code:
 Failure to match a globbing pattern causes an error (use NO_NOMATCH).

IanMalcolm
Jan 22, 2010

covener posted:

zsh has an option to pass unmatched globs as literals like bash does default:

code:
 Failure to match a globbing pattern causes an error (use NO_NOMATCH).

Thanks a lot! "setopt NO_NOMATCH" at the end of my .zshrc did the trick (:

Oddhair
Mar 21, 2004

Lonely Wolf posted:

awk is a hero
code:
BEGIN {
	RS = "\nEND:VCARD\n" #changes the "record separtor"
}
{
	S = match($0, /\nN:/) + 3 #find the point after N:
	N = substr($0, S) #cut the name to everything after N
	N = substr(N, 0, index(N, "\n")-1) #only keep N up to the first newline
	gsub(/;/, "", N) #remove all those ; 
	N = tolower(N) ".vcf" #lowercase it and add extension
	print $0 substr(RS, 0, length(RS)-1) >N #write to a file names N, adding the RS back on but not it's last newline
	print "wrote " N
}

I ran this from a .pgm file I got from transcribing it into gedit. I've copied and pasted what you sent into a file on my Windows host, and then Windiffed it against the one made on my Ubuntu VM and they're identical, but it churns along on the UTF encoded files and then simply changes the name of the file to match the first record while copying the entire file. Contacts .vcf becomes dudermister.vcf but is otherwise unchanged. I'm still trying to step through the logic of that program and having no luck deciphering it even with the comments.

Edit: not no luck, just limited luck. Awk's man page does jump straight to RS, so parts are becoming clear.

Oddhair fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Feb 7, 2011

Lonely Wolf
Jan 20, 2003

Will hawk false idols for heaps and heaps of dough.

Oddhair posted:

I ran this from a .pgm file I got from transcribing it into gedit. I've copied and pasted what you sent into a file on my Windows host, and then Windiffed it against the one made on my Ubuntu VM and they're identical, but it churns along on the UTF encoded files and then simply changes the name of the file to match the first record while copying the entire file. Contacts .vcf becomes dudermister.vcf but is otherwise unchanged. I'm still trying to step through the logic of that program and having no luck deciphering it even with the comments.

Edit: not no luck, just limited luck. Awk's man page does jump straight to RS, so parts are becoming clear.

I don't know what all that windows talk in the first paragraph means at all. You can execute this against Contacts.vcf by saving it into contacts.awk and running
code:
awk -f contact.awk Contacts.vcf
Awk works via `pattern { action }`. Each record in the input file (Contacts.vcf) is matched against a pattern and if the pattern matches the action is performed. There are two special patterns, BEGIN and END, that are run once before the file is processed and after, respectively. The empty pattern always matches.

So, in ours BEGIN is matched once before Contacts.vcf is read and changes RS, the record separator, which otherwise defaults to a single line. This means that Awk instead of processing the file one line at a time it processes a single vCard entry as a record (it does not include the RS in the record it matches, which will come back later).

Now, every one of these records matches the empty pattern so the second block is executed once for each and recieves as $0 (the current record) everything from the line after the last record until one char before the start of the RS.

First we get S, the start of the N field in the record, by searching for the regex /\nN:/ in $0. match returns an offset into the file, so if the \n (newline) in /\nN:/ starts at the 40th charachter in $0 match returns 40 and we add 3 to move this offset past the :. Next, we extract a string from $0 starting at this offset until the end of $0. We take this string and cut it from its start until the first newline (the index(N, "\n") - 1 (one position before the newline) bit). Now we have the text between N: and the next newline. We run it through gsub to remove all the semicolons so we have a less awkward filename.

The next line has a little bit going on. First, we need to know that the string concatenation operator in Awk is juxtaposition so
code:
print "Hello, " "world"
is the same as
code:
print "Hello, world"
By default, print prints to the console but like in the shell can be redirected to another file with the > operator. So in this line we are concatenating the RS back on to the record (sans its terminating newline, hence the substr and index business) and we print that into the file N, which is the name we derived from all that junk above.

Oddhair
Mar 21, 2004

Thanks again for the thorough explanation. The Windows stuff was just me verifying I had transcribed it correctly by pulling my saved .pgm file into a Windows environment and using windiff to verify it against a straight copy/paste. I'm just much more comfortable in a Windows context so this took all of 30 seconds. I ran it exactly as you described and it took a few seconds and copied the file in it's entirety to a new file with a different name.

I really appreciate all the help and will look at it some more to try to figure out why it's not working. I'm glad I at least knew that Awk or Grep was where I should be looking, but having no functional knowledge of them is rather limiting.

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004

IanMalcolm posted:

Also, you can prevent globbing by doing foo-\* or quoting the whole thing with single quotes i.e. 'foo-*'.

Lonely Wolf
Jan 20, 2003

Will hawk false idols for heaps and heaps of dough.

Oddhair posted:

Thanks again for the thorough explanation. The Windows stuff was just me verifying I had transcribed it correctly by pulling my saved .pgm file into a Windows environment and using windiff to verify it against a straight copy/paste. I'm just much more comfortable in a Windows context so this took all of 30 seconds. I ran it exactly as you described and it took a few seconds and copied the file in it's entirety to a new file with a different name.

I really appreciate all the help and will look at it some more to try to figure out why it's not working. I'm glad I at least knew that Awk or Grep was where I should be looking, but having no functional knowledge of them is rather limiting.

If you remove the "print $0 substr(RS, 0, length(RS)-1) >N" does it always say "generating same.vcf" or does it show different names?

Nigel Tufnel
Jan 4, 2005
You can't really dust for vomit.
Question about Linux live CDs. As far as I know, live CDs don't have permission to write to your hard drive. However, when using the Ubuntu Live CD I have been able to install flash using APT (I think that's what it's called) direct from the Adobe website. My question is, where does this get installed? Also, I would have thought that browsing the web would generate cookies etc so where do these go if the files for the program are stored on the CD which is read-only?

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

Nigel Tufnel posted:

Question about Linux live CDs. As far as I know, live CDs don't have permission to write to your hard drive. However, when using the Ubuntu Live CD I have been able to install flash using APT (I think that's what it's called) direct from the Adobe website. My question is, where does this get installed? Also, I would have thought that browsing the web would generate cookies etc so where do these go if the files for the program are stored on the CD which is read-only?

It gets installed in the same place the stuff from the Live CD does - your RAM

Prize Loser
Nov 28, 2005

It's casual Friday! Pants are optional!

Nigel Tufnel posted:

It's all stored in RAM and lost on reboot. If you have the live install on a large enough USB key, though, you can make it persistent, letting you install flash only the first time and keeping your cookies intact.

Nigel Tufnel
Jan 4, 2005
You can't really dust for vomit.
Cheers for the info.

Am I right in thinking that Live CDs can't write to your hard drive even if you wanted to? I ask because I can see my windows file system using the Live CD but never tried to write anything there.

Prize Loser
Nov 28, 2005

It's casual Friday! Pants are optional!

Nigel Tufnel posted:

Cheers for the info.

Am I right in thinking that Live CDs can't write to your hard drive even if you wanted to? I ask because I can see my windows file system using the Live CD but never tried to write anything there.

I think the Ubuntu livecd will mount it in read-only mode by default, but you can unmount and remount in read/write mode.

lazer_chicken
May 14, 2009

PEW PEW ZAP ZAP

Nigel Tufnel posted:

Cheers for the info.

You most certainly could write to the disk if you wanted to, but any sane livecd will not make this a danger by default. Being able to modify existing filesystems is one of the many useful features of livecds.

Oddhair
Mar 21, 2004

Lonely Wolf posted:

If you remove the "print $0 substr(RS, 0, length(RS)-1) >N" does it always say "generating same.vcf" or does it show different names?

I commented out that line, and the terminal output is ".vcfe dudermister." but the file it generates is the same as before, 18.4MB and only the name is changed.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Nigel Tufnel posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Union_mount

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
I have a question. I don't know if I'd call it urgent but a quicker answer would make things a little easier for me.

My situation:

I need to use the Android SDK and Emulator, and I suppose Eclipse too which I'm not overly fond of but it has the best Android support.

Because the Android emulator is horrifically awful I need to run it on the desktop PC, which isn't always the most convenient. My netbook is not up to the task unless I want to spend an hour waiting for what seems to be java emulating hardware running linux running java to try the program.

What are my options? My thought was a VNC client / server, but not one of the sort that hijacks a current session on the server side. I'd like it to have its own session so I can use a suitable WM, chose my resolution and hopefully have an edge scrolling VNC screen on the client (netbook) so I can have some room to breathe.

Would this be the relatively smart way to go about it?

Besides that it looks like the emulator is working through a port somehow but I'm not sure of the dynamic there. It'd be nice if I could have the backend running on the desktop but displaying on the netbook like the good old days running X11 programs remotely, but that opens up a whole other can'o'worms.

Put bluntly it doesn't have to be VNC and I am open to alternatives.

If you are wondering why, I'll tell you why. So far I have been forced to turn down a couple of software development job offers because of the difficulties involved with that and looking after my baby son concurrently. Not being totally bound to the desktop seems to be a workable compromise. And no I can't buy a big screen notebook. Current budget is ...not good.

edit: Using Ubuntu 10.04 x64 on the desktop and 10.04 32 bit on the netbook.

General_Failure fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Feb 9, 2011

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

General_Failure posted:

I have a question. I don't know if I'd call it urgent but a quicker answer would make things a little easier for me.

My situation:

I need to use the Android SDK and Emulator, and I suppose Eclipse too which I'm not overly fond of but it has the best Android support.

Because the Android emulator is horrifically awful I need to run it on the desktop PC, which isn't always the most convenient. My netbook is not up to the task unless I want to spend an hour waiting for what seems to be java emulating hardware running linux running java to try the program.

What are my options? My thought was a VNC client / server, but not one of the sort that hijacks a current session on the server side. I'd like it to have its own session so I can use a suitable WM, chose my resolution and hopefully have an edge scrolling VNC screen on the client (netbook) so I can have some room to breathe.

Besides that it looks like the emulator is working through a port somehow but I'm not sure of the dynamic there. It'd be nice if I could have the backend running on the desktop but displaying on the netbook like the good old days running X11 programs remotely, but that opens up a whole other can'o'worms.

Put bluntly it doesn't have to be VNC and I am open to alternatives.

If you are wondering why, I'll tell you why. So far I have been forced to turn down a couple of software development job offers because of the difficulties involved with that and looking after my baby son concurrently. Not being totally bound to the desktop seems to be a workable compromise. And no I can't buy a big screen notebook. Current budget is ...not good.

edit: Using Ubuntu 10.04 x64 on the desktop and 10.04 32 bit on the netbook.

If you have an android phone, it would be best to just test your app directly on that and never touch the emulator. Even on my pretty well powered desktop it still runs like poo poo. I haven't messed with Android development in a few months, but if I remember correctly, you can just plug in the phone over USB with debugging enabled, and there is some option in eclipse to deploy directly to your phone, and remote debug your app on the phone as well.

TheGopher
Sep 7, 2009

General_Failure posted:

Two pages back champ: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2389159&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=213#post387567497

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

OK, I want to finally be able to successfully suspend and wake my laptop while it's running a Linux distro. It doesn't in Ubuntu, and it doesn't in Fedora.

What can I try to make the wake up work?

I'm running Fedora 14 on a Toshiba A100 laptop.

angrytech
Jun 26, 2009

ZeeBoi posted:

OK, I want to finally be able to successfully suspend and wake my laptop while it's running a Linux distro. It doesn't in Ubuntu, and it doesn't in Fedora.

What can I try to make the wake up work?

I'm running Fedora 14 on a Toshiba A100 laptop.

Are you using the binary drivers? I've heard that it works with the open sources drivers.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Oh hey look at that. i have a server running and can connect to it. I tried changing the window manager to flux box but all I get still is a completely useless window manager which does nothing. It has a desktop switcher on the bottom left (2x2) and possibly a box of some description on the bottom right. Also what seems to be a drag bar on the top with two sqaure sections on the end that seem to be buttons. It reminds me a lot of enlightenment, and for all I know could be but missing absolutely everything. What the hell? It has zero functionality.

edit: figured it out. I didn't kill the old VNC server session. oops.

Why I'm not using a real android device is I don't have an android phone, there is an Android tablet in the house which has the debugging stuff, but it seems to just have USB host ability. There is also an eee701 which runs Android x86 perfectly but once again, host only.

General_Failure fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Feb 9, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

General_Failure posted:

Oh hey look at that. i have a server running and can connect to it. I tried changing the window manager to flux box but all I get still is a completely useless window manager which does nothing. It has a desktop switcher on the bottom left (2x2) and possibly a box of some description on the bottom right. Also what seems to be a drag bar on the top with two sqaure sections on the end that seem to be buttons. It reminds me a lot of enlightenment, and for all I know could be but missing absolutely everything. What the hell? It has zero functionality.

edit: figured it out. I didn't kill the old VNC server session. oops.

Why I'm not using a real android device is I don't have an android phone, there is an Android tablet in the house which has the debugging stuff, but it seems to just have USB host ability. There is also an eee701 which runs Android x86 perfectly but once again, host only.

self quote to denote new content.

I thought I had a success with fluxbox. I was wrong. When I tested fluxbox I did it on the host computer via loopback. It worked fine.
Then I tried it on the netbook. I got the debian swirl background, then ...nothing. What the hell? VNC is clearly functioning, so is the X session, but the WM isn't working non-locally. I just don't get it.

edit: Fixed. The problem doesn't make perfect sense but it kind of does. I checked the logs and it was bitching about terminator missing its config file, so I made it the correct directory tree and a blank file. Suddenly the errors disappeared and everything started working via network. Strange it worked via loopback. Nevermind, all fixed.

General_Failure fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Feb 9, 2011