Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moniker
Mar 16, 2004
Man, Howard's tweets are really funny!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

musclecoder
Oct 23, 2006

I'm all about meeting girls. I'm all about meeting guys.

Skitz posted:

Anybody else having problems with the wacky new online player?

Wow, well they finally moved to a Flash player, but good god does it suck. What an absolutely horrible interface.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

therapy posted:

Sirius/XM is making the calls on people who haven't paid - a friend of mine just got a call from XM saying that he owes them over $300 for payments on a radio he hasn't owned in three years. He told them he wouldn't pay the $300 as he didn't own the stereo any more, but he'd gladly re-up his yearly subscription for the XM radio he DID have installed in his car.

Two hours later his current XM radio got disconnected.

Bright side? The Consumerist will grab a week's worth of articles with that.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

Mad Doctor Cthulhu posted:

Bright side? The Consumerist will grab a week's worth of articles with that.

I used to really like the Consumerist but for the past while (year?) they've been churning out way too many low-content posts.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I like how Howard retweets a YouTube link to the Beetle song.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

therapy posted:

Sirius/XM is making the calls on people who haven't paid - a friend of mine just got a call from XM saying that he owes them over $300 for payments on a radio he hasn't owned in three years. He told them he wouldn't pay the $300 as he didn't own the stereo any more, but he'd gladly re-up his yearly subscription for the XM radio he DID have installed in his car.

A web hosting company I worked for did something like this. They took accounts that had a balance outstanding and had never been canceled. Basically the people just stopped using the service and in turn stopped paying the monthly hosting fee.

My company would then call people and tell them that due to Terms of Service, they owed money because they never called in to cancel, it didn't matter if they had been using the services or not.

Some people paid which most told us to go gently caress ourselves. Which was actually smart because the company wasn't going to go through the hassle of putting the claims on credit reports or law suites. It was basically them just rattling people's cages for free money.

So I'm guessing what they are doing here is calling all the people that got a free trial but never bothered to call and cancel. And really, who would remember to call and cancel a service you've never paid for in two years?

Mr Hands Colon
May 7, 2009

requiescant in pace.

musclecoder posted:

Wow, well they finally moved to a Flash player, but good god does it suck. What an absolutely horrible interface.

Yeah this it horrible. Even worse is that it killed stream_ON, which was my go-to 3rd party Sirius player.

Zoben
Oct 3, 2001

musclecoder posted:

I've been using the Sirius player for Yahoo widgets and while it ain't perfect, it's a lot better than the online Sirius one. It allows you to store presets and mute it and everything.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I've been using SiriusWM6 Win32 Desktop. It works well enough.

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

FogHelmut posted:

I like how Howard retweets a YouTube link to the Beetle song.

Jesus Christ.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

EngineerJoe posted:

I used to really like the Consumerist but for the past while (year?) they've been churning out way too many low-content posts.

Agreed.

Bonzo posted:

A web hosting company I worked for did something like this. They took accounts that had a balance outstanding and had never been canceled. Basically the people just stopped using the service and in turn stopped paying the monthly hosting fee.

My company would then call people and tell them that due to Terms of Service, they owed money because they never called in to cancel, it didn't matter if they had been using the services or not.

Some people paid which most told us to go gently caress ourselves. Which was actually smart because the company wasn't going to go through the hassle of putting the claims on credit reports or law suites. It was basically them just rattling people's cages for free money.

So I'm guessing what they are doing here is calling all the people that got a free trial but never bothered to call and cancel. And really, who would remember to call and cancel a service you've never paid for in two years?

I really would like to see how this lawsuit would progress:

"Your honor, our customer used our service without paying, and we're seeking payment for those months!"

"According to this, it seems you have the power to shut off radios that do not make their payments. Why didn't you do this beforehand? It seems like a mistake on your end that you're trying to charge money for."

"But...er.....uh.."

Sirius didn't get the money, they should have cut service. They're basically charging people for their mistake. How does that work again? And this is before Sirius started begging for subscribers to stay on for free.

This company is a goner. The mismanagement is pathetic.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

Agreed.

I really would like to see how this lawsuit would progress:

"Your honor, our customer used our service without paying, and we're seeking payment for those months!"

"According to this, it seems you have the power to shut off radios that do not make their payments. Why didn't you do this beforehand? It seems like a mistake on your end that you're trying to charge money for."

"But...er.....uh.."

Sirius didn't get the money, they should have cut service. They're basically charging people for their mistake. How does that work again? And this is before Sirius started begging for subscribers to stay on for free.

This company is a goner. The mismanagement is pathetic.

I don't know how Sirius would spin this, but my former company's thought was this:

If you move and don't tell the electric or water company that you moved, they still charge you for services whether you use them or not.

But yeah, this is them trying to scrape up some cash.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Bonzo posted:

I don't know how Sirius would spin this, but my former company's thought was this:

If you move and don't tell the electric or water company that you moved, they still charge you for services whether you use them or not.

But yeah, this is them trying to scrape up some cash.

There's a world of difference between utilities and satellite radio. Plus, utilities would shut off service if you stopped paying. Sirius just can't be bothered to do their job and expect people to pay for it.

Mr Lance Murdock
Feb 29, 2008

Bones heal. Chicks dig scars. And the United States of America has the best doctor-to-daredevil ratio in the world

daveslash posted:

I am. :smith:

Of course, that's more because I live like 20 minutes from the factory and like giving Vermont themed gifts to people.

Haha ok you get a pass, but I am mostly thinking of the random dude who hears the commercial and goes "hey I think I will send someone a bandit bear and some sherries Berries"

EvilLemon
Sep 15, 2004
Squeeze me. I squirt.
Howard's tweets are absolutely fantastic. "Have to go. Need the shrink today. Had to take a dump in a public restroom. traumatized"

I signed up just to follow him. You can add me to the list, but I haven't sent a "tweet" yet: tyjroberts.

Moniker
Mar 16, 2004

EvilLemon posted:

Howard's tweets are absolutely fantastic. "Have to go. Need the shrink today. Had to take a dump in a public restroom. traumatized"

I signed up just to follow him. You can add me to the list, but I haven't sent a "tweet" yet: tyjroberts.

That's the one that I posted about in the post a couple above yours. Had me lolin'.

Got you on twitter (sorry for blowing everyone's poo poo up. I tweet a lot.)

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

therapy posted:

If that is true then that is a real scummy practice. I am honestly going to be surprised if they are going to make it until the end of the year at this rate. They were having money problems before and I imagine that things are just going to get worse for them. The first quarter profit report is going to be real telling and I got a feeling some people are going to be forced out of jobs. The name I keep hearing is Scott Greenstein.

I wonder if this is the stuff Howard heard at that meeting at his apartment last week, "Well you see we don't have any money because we only have 3 people paying full price for the service anymore, everyone else either is paying 43 dollars for 3 years or canceled."

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Djarum posted:

If that is true then that is a real scummy practice. I am honestly going to be surprised if they are going to make it until the end of the year at this rate. They were having money problems before and I imagine that things are just going to get worse for them. The first quarter profit report is going to be real telling and I got a feeling some people are going to be forced out of jobs. The name I keep hearing is Scott Greenstein.

I wonder if this is the stuff Howard heard at that meeting at his apartment last week, "Well you see we don't have any money because we only have 3 people paying full price for the service anymore, everyone else either is paying 43 dollars for 3 years or canceled."

Just curious: is it common for contracted talent to be paid in full if the business goes under? Because if Howard knew that Sirius was on shaky ground, signing up for a number of years could be a way to get enough money out of them that he's sure to get before they sink. I doubt they'll go to poo poo this year, but it really looks like they're in the death throes and are just about to start sinking quick. The only thing left to look for is rapid management changes and consolidation of positions.

If this is all true, at least Howard can look forward to one thing: that he managed to get a lot of money out of them before it ended.

therapy
Jun 12, 2001

Living the dream
As a side note, I just talked to this friend. Apparently I misunderstood.

They turned off his current radio, and then he called back and they said what had happened was the sales rep had accidentally disabled the new radio instead of the old one. They turned on the new one and gave him a full year for $59. Not bad, $5/month.

Mr Hands Colon
May 7, 2009

requiescant in pace.

I doubt they'll go to poo poo this year, but it really looks like they're in the death throes and are just about to start sinking quick.

If this is in fact true (it's starting to look like it), what are the chances of Howard going off on his own like Bubba? This all makes sense as to why they didn't want to pay him poo poo and also screwed around with Corolla.

btw Bubba was on fire today calling out that ex-police chief in Tampa, he even made it onto the Drudge for his remarks in the article.

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

"Howard Stern joins Twitter" is on the list of current and important news on CNN.com's front page.

It just links to Entertainment Weekly: http://popwatch.ew.com/2011/02/08/howard-stern-twitter/?hpt=T2

and it's as cringe worthy as you can expect.

Okay it's not as bad as I thought it was be. After "That's how you tweet, Fart Man," I thought I was in for it.

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

Mr Hands Colon posted:

If this is in fact true (it's starting to look like it), what are the chances of Howard going off on his own like Bubba? This all makes sense as to why they didn't want to pay him poo poo and also screwed around with Corolla.

They're doing fine (relatively speaking). They do have a mountain of debt but they have been operating in the black for a while and have really worked their way out of a serious hole. Opening up to the smart phones will help their revenue quite a bit.

http://finance.yahoo.com/q/is?s=SIRI

Yes it's a lovely business practice but it's probably some VP trying to impress his bosses and not some top down decision to generate revenue.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

therapy posted:

As a side note, I just talked to this friend. Apparently I misunderstood.

They turned off his current radio, and then he called back and they said what had happened was the sales rep had accidentally disabled the new radio instead of the old one. They turned on the new one and gave him a full year for $59. Not bad, $5/month.

That's a relief.

Still, they're handing out subscriptions like candy. That can't be good.

Mr Lance Murdock
Feb 29, 2008

Bones heal. Chicks dig scars. And the United States of America has the best doctor-to-daredevil ratio in the world

Mr Hands Colon posted:

btw Bubba was on fire today calling out that ex-police chief in Tampa, he even made it onto the Drudge for his remarks in the article.

Ya he had 2 great shows today. There is some real shady poo poo going down if most of what he was saying is true. All I kept thinking was it sounded like a side plot to an episode of The Wire.

Groan Zone
Nov 21, 2004

chug-a-lug, donna

Crotch Bat posted:

Beet's on fire today.

He's the main reason I'm listening today, actually I rewound the show to hear it.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Just curious: is it common for contracted talent to be paid in full if the business goes under? Because if Howard knew that Sirius was on shaky ground, signing up for a number of years could be a way to get enough money out of them that he's sure to get before they sink. I doubt they'll go to poo poo this year, but it really looks like they're in the death throes and are just about to start sinking quick. The only thing left to look for is rapid management changes and consolidation of positions.

If this is all true, at least Howard can look forward to one thing: that he managed to get a lot of money out of them before it ended.

Depends on how the contract is made, but normally no. From what I can gather about Howard's contract is that he is paid X over Time, but that is for the entire channels. So while if the contract was 500 Million over Five Years, Howard did not get 100 Million a year. If you also realize that Gary, Robin and Fred (formerly Artie) are not included in the channels but are separate Sirius/XM employees and not included in the 100 Million operating budget a year you can start to figure out how much Howard actually takes home.

Most likely it is somewhere north of 30 Million but less than 60 Million. As cheap as Howard is and as little as everyone seems to make around there I am betting the higher number. Since the contract was for a lower amount, but a lower amount of days/time I have a feeling that Howard took a paycut but only because he is working less.

Now with that said if it is like a normal contracted hire of this nature the employee is still paid a weekly paycheck, since I doubt Sirius has more than a couple of million liquid to pay anyone let alone a lump sum like that. Now if Sirius goes under they are first going to declare bankruptcy and then let go talent. Now depending on how the contracts are setup the company technically owes the talent money, but I would bet by declaring bankruptcy they will try to shield themselves from such debts and litigation.

All the talent, including Howard will be basically free agents. I am pretty sure Howard would retire then instead of getting back on to the horse.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything
Good night all,see you at six am.Babba booey to yall. Kish meir en tuchas eran and as Beatlejuice says ;alkjfdjfdeios;ddd -love that spanish

Howard rules.

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

Mr Lance Murdock posted:

Haha ok you get a pass, but I am mostly thinking of the random dude who hears the commercial and goes "hey I think I will send someone a bandit bear and some sherries Berries"

"A vermont teddy bear or the 'hoodie footie' would be the perfect gift for my gf!" - an idiot

Howard's tweets are really good, why isn't he this good on the air anymore? Is the weight of the show + lack of money crushing him?

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

What are you doing this evening? What is Robin doing this evening?
What do you do for a living?

Why is Gary such a horse-toothed jackass.

MyronMulch
Nov 12, 2006

Glumwheels posted:

Howard's tweets are really good, why isn't he this good on the air anymore? Is the weight of the show + lack of money crushing him?

Cthulhu conspiracy time: Is it really Howard?

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
The way he types and misspells thing seems to strike me as making it very genuine. Of course perhaps a well-paid professional ghost-tweeter could emulate those things just to convince people like me?? :tinfoil:

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

POCKET CHOMP posted:

The way he types and misspells thing seems to strike me as making it very genuine. Of course perhaps a well-paid professional ghost-tweeter could emulate those things just to convince people like me?? :tinfoil:

No way someone is tweeting for Howard. As much as he likes to complain about his brand, I doubt he would go through the trouble of 'approving' tweets just for this.

Plus does anybody not remember this isn't the first time Howard was on Twitter? He used it for like 6 days last year and was doing similar stuff.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Upper-class Twit: "I read on the Internet that Howard Stern is a 'shock jock.' It says here that he threw bologna at a woman's buttocks. Is that true?"

Gary Dell?Abate: "Yeah, well what do you do for a living?"

chiz
Sep 28, 2002

FogHelmut posted:

Upper-class Twit: "I read on the Internet that Howard Stern is a 'shock jock.' It says here that he threw bologna at a woman's buttocks. Is that true?"

ugh I can't stand Gary anymore with his effeminate (sp?) voice and just overall douchiness. I used to feel bad for him, but then I listened to the Wrap Up Show.

UGH x a million

sedative
Mar 20, 2003

‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ :allears:
It's the season finale of Vegucating Robin :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogNSLAsPFMM&hd=1

Smeep
Jan 20, 2004

Did Robin really say that the earth hasn't ever been hit by an asteroid?

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Smeep posted:

Did Robin really say that the earth hasn't ever been hit by an asteroid?

"Western medicine doesn't work at all!*

* Unless it's an emergency." - Robin Quivers

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

FogHelmut posted:

I laughed at that much more than I should have.

chiz
Sep 28, 2002

sedative posted:

It's the season finale of Vegucating Robin :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogNSLAsPFMM&hd=1

God I wish Howard would pull clips and goof on this. He's so scared of her, what the gently caress?

edit; okay just got done watching this horseshit. Robin again interjecting and interrupting, that hideous scalp and she's loving fat again.

I don't know whether to laugh or cry.

chiz fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Feb 9, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

sedative posted:

It's the season finale of Vegucating Robin drat Bitch, Where's Your Hair? :(

That's all I can see now. It's like she's playing a joke on people by scotchtaping random dreads to her scalp and waiting how long it takes before people call her out on it.