Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

Lone Rogue posted:

I hate Shawn but that's still pretty :unsmith:

I also absolutely LOVE IT that Vince calls him a Special Olympian.

That was Vince's go to term for retarded fans trying to get in the ring. I remember a few other times where that happened, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Rusty Shackelford posted:

That was Vince's go to term for retarded fans trying to get in the ring. I remember a few other times where that happened, too.

It's bloody brilliant. Nobody can get on his case for it. It's complimentary without having to be PC.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I just watched CHIKARA's Scornucopia the other day and at the end of the first match they lift a kid from the audience into the ring and perform an improvised finish with him. He even gets the pin (well, he gets to join in a dogpile, at least). Sadly that moment doesn't seem to be on youtube.

... or, uh, at least I think it's improvised, but now that I think of it, given the nature of this sport... :tinfoil:

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.

RoleModel posted:

Speaking of refs, now I finally know what Black Ref's name is.

http://www.wwe.com/superstars/wwereferees/justinking1/profile/

Good to know. I like Black Ref Justin King.

Also, someone was asking about Radio WWF a couple of pages back. If I recall correctly, Vince would always mention that it was on the Armed Forces Network when it was brought up. So maybe it was just for the army?

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

My Lovely Horse posted:

I just watched CHIKARA's Scornucopia the other day and at the end of the first match they lift a kid from the audience into the ring and perform an improvised finish with him. He even gets the pin (well, he gets to join in a dogpile, at least). Sadly that moment doesn't seem to be on youtube.

... or, uh, at least I think it's improvised, but now that I think of it, given the nature of this sport... :tinfoil:

There was a lot of kid interaction in that 3.0 vs Los Icecreams match. Scott Parker taking a kids ant mask and then remembering that he's a face now so he gives it back, one of the ice creams making a kid cry, the aforementioned ophidian-mask kid who one of the icecreams hid behind and was then later used for the finish and a kid in a los ice creams shirt being first acknowledged by one ice cream and then later on both ice creams trying to celebrate with him.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Manwithastick posted:

Bonus material - compliation of when fans attack:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NlIOJVH0AaM

Can someone clarify what is going on after the 3:00 mark? Is this Chris Jericho being assassinated for a steadicam student film project?

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People
A bunch of fans mobbed him in western Canada, and he wound up punching some chick in the face. I think it was mid 2009.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

MrBling posted:

one of the ice creams making a kid cry
Be fair, he apologized. But yeah, all that, and there was another fun moment when one of the Ice Creams had Scott Parker (I think) in a headlock near the ropes, Ophidian Kid walked up to the ring and extended his hand for a tag, and Ice Cream immediately panicked and pulled Parker away.

Manwithastick
Jul 26, 2010

Quarex posted:

Can someone clarify what is going on after the 3:00 mark? Is this Chris Jericho being assassinated for a steadicam student film project?

I think it was that incident a few months ago where he got in to a fight with a pestering fan while getting in his car

Manwithastick fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Feb 8, 2011

Wojtek
Oct 17, 2008
That Batista one had to be fake.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family

Wojtek posted:

That Batista one had to be fake.

Fake or not that's one of the most hilarious things I've ever seen in wrestling.

Bearnt!
Feb 6, 2004

No onions, no onions

Perry Normal posted:

Good to know. I like Black Ref Justin King.

Also, someone was asking about Radio WWF a couple of pages back. If I recall correctly, Vince would always mention that it was on the Armed Forces Network when it was brought up. So maybe it was just for the army?

That was me. I'm thinking what I heard was just a recap of the events on a local radio show or something.

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine
A little late, but here's Cornette being awesome while explaining everything about the Brawl for All and why it was so terrible:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_4icDCX3a4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSvsW386aCQ

The Butterbean thing was about killing two birds with one stone. The WWF had signed Butterbean to 2 guaranteed PPV appearances.
The first one was at the D-Generation X PPV in 12/97 in a worked match against Marc Mero.
The 2nd one was of course with Bart Gunn at WM15. It probably wasn't as much trying to deliberately sabotage Bart Gunn (although they had to have known that he didn't have the professional training to stand up to Butterbean), as throwing up their hands and saying "Well, we got Bart Gunn over as a tough guy but there's nothing else we can do with him, and we've still got to give Butterbean another PPV payout, so put the two together and see what happens".

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People
How over do you think Gunn would have gotten if he beat Butterbean?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Magic_Ceiling_Fan posted:

I think Vince would have taken full page ads out in the New York Times, paid for a giant advertising block on prime-time network television showing slow-mo replays.... and then he would have had Bart Gunn's kneecaps shattered.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Magic_Ceiling_Fan posted:

You know the moon? Imagine that but higher.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Butterbean is a freak show boxer. No one would have cared long term if Bart Gunn knocked him out. Especially on a wrestling show where most people would assume it was just fake.

If the proposes shoot fight between Brock and Lennox Lewis happened, that would be different. But Gunn and Butterbean? He'd get a pop, people would care a little bit and it would fade.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

MassRayPer posted:

If the proposes shoot fight between Brock and Lennox Lewis happened

:stare:

The Christ? I thought Lennox Lewis was an intelligent man who retired at the top of his game with as much money as possible?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Jerusalem posted:

The Christ? I thought Lennox Lewis was an intelligent man who retired at the top of his game with as much money as possible?

This idea came up in late 2002 or early 2003. I believe they wanted to do a card topped off by Angle in a wrestler vs. boxer shoot and then Lesnar vs. Lewis.

El Duke Silver
Aug 15, 2008

rarely goes out and should never be approached

Jerusalem posted:

McMahon supposedly offered Lewis a huge amount of money to come in and fight Brock around 2003. But I was never clear on whether it was supposed to be a shoot or not. I'm sure MRP will provide more info.

Edit: and there's some.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Oh okay, I thought you were talking about, like.... something planned for this year and I plotzed.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Jerusalem posted:

Oh okay, I thought you were talking about, like.... something planned for this year and I plotzed.

The idea may have even been originated in the Lennox Lewis camp. I can't remember Meltzer's description of it, but it seems like they thought this would be an easy money maker and a win, and Vince salivated over the idea. Then Lewis realized he would be taken down and beaten to death and backed out.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Yeah, Lewis was a guy who was good at keeping his opponents at arm's length and out-scoring them while they got frustrated. Lesnar would have probably waded straight in, dropped him to the ground and started pounding the poo poo out of him.

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006

Jerusalem posted:

This was a long time ago. Originally suggested in late-2002, pre-MMA

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Ziggy Tsardust posted:

This was a long time ago. Originally suggested in late-2002, pre-MMA

MMA started in 1993 and possibly earlier depending on what you want to consider MMA

e: Unless you mean pre-Brock MMA which I just realized might be the case

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.

Bearnt! posted:

That was me. I'm thinking what I heard was just a recap of the events on a local radio show or something.

You know what, now that you mention it, I do remember hearing a local radio guy talking about the Razor/Shawn angle that led to the ladder match. "Who is the real Intercontinental champion?" Still seems really surreal that the dj on the local lovely classic rock station or whatever was talking about wrestling in 93 or 94.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

Lone Rogue posted:

I hate Shawn but that's still pretty :unsmith:

I also absolutely LOVE IT that Vince calls him a Special Olympian.

They were actually working a lot with the Special Olympics at that time, IIRC. It was their excuse for booking a small arena in Hartford, CT for WM11, since the Special Olympics operated around there at the time or something

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Lone Rogue posted:

I remember when Eddie had a ladder match on Raw and someone ran into the ring and pushed him off of the ladder. For ruining a match like that and possibly killing a wrestler, you drat right I want that guy to get hosed right up.

When was this?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
May 2002, right after Eddie came back.

Hirams Bitch
Oct 24, 2008

BigRed0427 posted:

When was this?

Spring/Summer of '02, vs. RVD.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
I remember he pushed Eddie over and then starting posing like he did some loving great thing

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Captain Charisma posted:

They were actually working a lot with the Special Olympics at that time, IIRC. It was their excuse for booking a small arena in Hartford, CT for WM11, since the Special Olympics operated around there at the time or something

nah it was just a polite way of saying he was mentally challenged.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

ADRIEN GRODYS FIFE posted:

nah it was just a polite way of saying he was mentally challenged.

Well that too, obviously

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Jerusalem posted:

Lesnar would have probably waded straight in, dropped him to the ground and started pounding the poo poo out of him.
It's funny you say this because in his last UFC fight Brock Lesnar proved that he is not good at Being Punched.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Lone Goat posted:

It's funny you say this because in his last UFC fight Brock Lesnar proved that he is not good at Being Punched.

It is funny you say this because if you watched the fight he gets two takedowns on Cain. Cain has absurdly good defensive wrestling and gets right back up and then takes control. Lennox Lewis would not have any defensive wrestling. The first takedown would end it and come under any kind of power punch besides a possible uppercut.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Lone Goat posted:

I only watched a couple of his fights but I thought in every fight until his last one, he showed that he was REALLY good at being punched and not really giving a poo poo?

Lewis was a really great boxer but I never had any sense that he was a powerhouse knockout guy, just very technically skilled and good at keeping his distance and making use of his height to flummox his opponents and outpoint them?

Beer_Suitcase
May 3, 2005

Verily, the whip is ghost riding.

Captain Charisma posted:

I remember he pushed Eddie over and then starting posing like he did some loving great thing

Didn't Eddie kick the fan in the head too?

Save Russian Jews
Jun 7, 2007

who the fuck is this guy anyway, i can't even see his face

Lipstick Apathy

Jerusalem posted:

I only watched a couple of his fights but I thought in every fight until his last one, he showed that he was REALLY good at being punched and not really giving a poo poo?

The last two really exposed him as being shy of being punched. In the fights before, I don't think anyone really hit him cleanly enough with a power shot to rattle him (everyone he had fought was either over the hill or not a particularly powerful/gifted standup puncher, the former being Randy Couture and the latter Frank Mir).

In those two most recent fights, he shuts down almost immediately after being hit with power shots. In the Cain fight, he actually sort of hops backwards with his hands out in what I can only assume is a completely untrained response to being facepunched.

Also:

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Save Russian Jews posted:

BrockRave.gif

I'm just telling you right now, if you're trying to convince me Brock doesn't own, making goofy gifs of him is a bad way to go about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Save Russian Jews
Jun 7, 2007

who the fuck is this guy anyway, i can't even see his face

Lipstick Apathy

Great White Hope posted:

I'm just telling you right now, if you're trying to convince me Brock doesn't own, making goofy gifs of him is a bad way to go about it.

It's much less endearing when you realize how much pity you wind up taking on Brock. If he'd gone in punching against Lewis and not wrestling immediately, it might have been a very, very bad thing.

Save Russian Jews fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Feb 9, 2011