Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

Frank Dillinger posted:

Good lord it would suck to be that guy if the insurance didn't cover it.

There was a case near my work where some guy was renting spots in his huge barn to store classic cars/sailboats and his insurance didn't cover poo poo when it burned down. I would hate to be that guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

As soon as I'm able to get to them I will get pics of the collapses at my house that took out some automotive/farming history. The 54 Chevy pickup I had that was like Mooecow's was one of the victims :(

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Crustashio posted:

There was a case near my work where some guy was renting spots in his huge barn to store classic cars/sailboats and his insurance didn't cover poo poo when it burned down. I would hate to be that guy.

Cases like this make me believe insurance is little more than a scam. Homeowners/liability insurance won't cover the car because its a car, and the car insurance won't cover it because the building collapsed on it/burned down around it (etc.)

There needs to be a law that if your insurer decides they're not going to pay out on something or drop you for any other reason than the policy holder was on drugs at the time of the loss they have to refund 100% of your premium payments.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

Geoj posted:

Cases like this make me believe insurance is little more than a scam. Homeowners/liability insurance won't cover the car because its a car, and the car insurance won't cover it because the building collapsed on it/burned down around it (etc.)

I suspect the issue is that he was renting out spots in the garage. Insurance policies are quite specific about what they do and do not cover. Read your policy. "I though it was covered" won't cut it.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

Boat posted:

This is really morbid, but do you have a link? The post mortems on these types of things are really fascinating, like the one where they opened the pressure chamber door early and one guy got sucked bodily through a gap about an inch and a half wide.

I had the exact same question. I know how a body reacts to a vacuum. How about O2 poisioning.

nurrwick
Jul 5, 2007

Nerobro posted:

How about O2 poisioning.

http://www.mja.com.au/public/issues/sep2/lawrence/lawrence.html

I don't think this is the same incident (the diagnosis is from NSW, not anywhere near the North Sea, and it doesn't say anything about "unknown to medicine") but hey, it covers a bad gas mix at 47m deep.

MrSaturn
Sep 8, 2004

Go ahead, laugh. They all laugh at first...

N183CS posted:

There isn't a post pics of horrible structural failures thread here so I'm posting my barn collapse pics ( and subsequent destruction of my classic mini, antique land rover and dads half restored MG TD.

So AI which one should I start restoring first?? :suicide:

I feel your pain. The storage container I had my '65 Buick Wildcat in at my dad's house collapsed on it a few weeks back due to the weight of the snow on it - dad hasn't been able to get in there to see the extent of the damage, but I'm fearing the worst. :(

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Unfortunately, I don't have any spectacular photos of it, other than a puddle of mineral oil and refrigerant under the passenger seat, but the blower motor on my old Blazer burnt up today, and melted a refrigerant line and/or the condenser, among other things - which conveniently put the fire out, as all the r12 evaporated and displaced the oxygen that was feeding the fire.

I even drove the thing back to my house, so I can get it towed to my father's garage at my leisure.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

MrSaturn posted:

I feel your pain. The storage container I had my '65 Buick Wildcat in at my dad's house collapsed on it a few weeks back due to the weight of the snow on it - dad hasn't been able to get in there to see the extent of the damage, but I'm fearing the worst. :(

Oh NO! I really hope your Wildcat is ok, that's an awesome and rare car and I love them :ohdear:

MrSaturn
Sep 8, 2004

Go ahead, laugh. They all laugh at first...

Kylie Sven Opossum posted:

Oh NO! I really hope your Wildcat is ok, that's an awesome and rare car and I love them :ohdear:

I know, thanks. I'll post an update as soon as enough snow melts for dad to check it out. I just finished building the engine and detailing the engine bay last summer, too. It was almost ready to go back together...

Revolvyerom
Nov 12, 2005

Hell yes, tell him we're plenty front right now.

thelightguy posted:

Unfortunately, I don't have any spectacular photos of it, other than a puddle of mineral oil and refrigerant under the passenger seat, but the blower motor on my old Blazer burnt up today, and melted a refrigerant line and/or the condenser, among other things - which conveniently put the fire out, as all the r12 evaporated and displaced the oxygen that was feeding the fire.

I even drove the thing back to my house, so I can get it towed to my father's garage at my leisure.
...was it already on a dolly when this happened? I'm continually impressed by the kind of tanks that came out of GM lines from time to time, despite their manufacturer. Friend of mine who basically works on cars as a hobby has a list of stories like that as long as his arm from his and family's experiences.

edit: Oh, hah, I mis-read that as the blower on the motor (a supercharger that had been stuck on) had failed so catastrophically as to both cause a small fire, and sever the A/C compressor hose, promptly venting the oxygen from under the hood as it happened.

Now that would have required a picture.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Ahaha, that would have made for a much better story, but unfortunately, the damage is localized to under the dash and glove compartment where the squirrel cage sits.

I should stick a supercharger on it though, since I'm going to be ripping apart and replacing the entire front end at the same time. drat thing survived being t-boned in the front drivers side corner at 40mph by a cab and drove away from that too. The late 80s S-10 platform was a veritable tank.

corgski fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Feb 9, 2011

Sponge!
Dec 22, 2004

SPORK!

thelightguy posted:

Ahaha, that would have made for a much better story, but unfortunately, the damage is localized to under the dash and glove compartment where the squirrel cage sits.

I should stick a supercharger on it though, since I'm going to be ripping apart and replacing the entire front end at the same time. drat thing survived being t-boned in the front drivers side corner at 40mph by a cab and drove away from that too. The late 80s S-10 platform was a veritable tank.

Hey if you ever need a second pair of garage hands, you know I'm mechanically adept and local, and good taste in beer too...

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Found links to the oxygen poisoning. I suppose "unknown to science" is a bit hyperbolic, but the report indicates there aren't any comparable cases.

https://www.dykkersaken.no/files/pdf/fatal_hoover_060203.pdf

More reports linked on this Norwegian site. https://www.dykkersaken.no/index.php?cat=22&art=138

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!

Nerobro posted:

And the structures we're talking about are stressed in tension, not in compression. In tension you don't need to worry about buckle strength. in tension things straighten themselves out and pull to the best shape to resist the pressure.

In compression the slightest ding, dent, or defect concentrates the stress and you get that sickening crush you saw on that rail car.

There's a fun test you can do of this. Take an empty can of soda, stand it upright on a flat, hard surface. Now grab hold of something to steady yourself and gently stand on top of it, if you do it right it will be able to hold your weight.

Now have someone ever so slightly touch the side of the can. It will immediately implode and you'll come straight down.

It's pretty neat. Vessels can hold lots and lots of pressure, but drop them below atmospheric and it's bad news.

Captain Hair
Dec 31, 2007

Of course, that can backfire... some men like their bitches crazy.
I do hope that mini is ok :ohdear: As long as the frame isnt bent it should be, I hope. I had a similar thing happen over winter, a load of snow came off the roof in winter, right ontop of one of my minis. Crushed the roof in completley.

Luckily the shell is still straight, so its fixable

Blocko
Jul 12, 2008

Spoiler alert: Blood Ravens are actually Hiigarans who got sucked into the warp, were sent back in time to fight in WWII against the Panzer Elite, then stole a nazi time machine to go into the future and save mankind from an army of Lobster-Elephants and other impossible creatures.

Rated R.

Dave Inc. posted:

There's a fun test you can do of this. Take an empty can of soda, stand it upright on a flat, hard surface. Now grab hold of something to steady yourself and gently stand on top of it, if you do it right it will be able to hold your weight.

Now have someone ever so slightly touch the side of the can. It will immediately implode and you'll come straight down.

It's pretty neat. Vessels can hold lots and lots of pressure, but drop them below atmospheric and it's bad news.
I'm not sure that is so much a test of pressure as it is an example of the strength of a cylinder. I've done that before though to impress my younger cousins because I am a huge science nerd.

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!

Blocko posted:

I'm not sure that is so much a test of pressure as it is an example of the strength of a cylinder. I've done that before though to impress my younger cousins because I am a huge science nerd.

True, but it's also a great way to show how something with a lot of strength can fail immediately due to only a small defect.

Besides, it's cool as hell and I wanted to share. So there. :colbert:

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Hey, pictures

reposting because gently caress

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

14 INCH DICK TURBO posted:

Hey, block windows

The rods, they just want to be FREE

ehnus
Apr 16, 2003

Now you're thinking with portals!

Ola posted:

There was a diving accident in the North Sea where the rack mixing the gas was misconfigured for just a few seconds sending a shot of about 50% oxygen into the diver's helmet. Given that he was working at 200-250 feet, the partial pressure was so beyond lethal, the symptoms shown on the body where not known to science before the accident.

Ouch, that's like a 4atm partial pressure. I'm curious what actually happened, if he had a full face mask on the convulsions might have been survivable. Anything after that? I'm not even sure what would happen.

SUSE Creamcheese
Apr 11, 2007

ehnus posted:

Ouch, that's like a 4atm partial pressure. I'm curious what actually happened, if he had a full face mask on the convulsions might have been survivable. Anything after that? I'm not even sure what would happen.

From reading the reports, it sounded like the blood in his lungs boiled, causing severe edema and death. :gonk::gonk::gonk:

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

ehnus posted:

Here's the report. http://www.dykkersaken.no/files/pdf/fatal_hoover_060203.pdf

It wasn't at 250 feet, it was an experimental dive to over 1000 feet... It's a bit of a derail for this thread, but I've been reading (and hearing courtroom recordings) about the atrocious conditions the North Sea divers worked under and there's no thread for "post stories about horrible government oversight failures and oil companies willingly sacrificing human lives for profit".

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

82Daion posted:

From reading the reports, it sounded like the blood in his lungs boiled, causing severe edema and death. :gonk::gonk::gonk:

I wouldn't call it boiled. Oxygen literally means "acid maker." I'd go with "burned through."

The fact we live on the stuff is pretty scary.

Hillridge
Aug 3, 2004

WWheeeeeee!
I've heard that in cases of drowning, suffocation, or any other incident where the brain is deprived of oxygen, it's the reintroduction of oxygen that kills the cells, not the preceding lack of it.

I'm not at all familiar with SCUBA diving. What does a higher than expected percent of oxygen in the air supply do at those depths? Is it essentially O2 at a higher pressure and it forces its way into your blood and tissues?

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

Hillridge posted:

I've heard that in cases of drowning, suffocation, or any other incident where the brain is deprived of oxygen, it's the reintroduction of oxygen that kills the cells, not the preceding lack of it.

I'm not at all familiar with SCUBA diving. What does a higher than expected percent of oxygen in the air supply do at those depths? Is it essentially O2 at a higher pressure and it forces its way into your blood and tissues?

Your body is used to oxygen at .21bar partial pressure (1atm x.21 (21% of air volume)). When you go to higher pressures the partial pressure of oxygen increases and from what I remember, your body can't respirate it effectively and it begins to interrupt metabolic and other body processes due to hyperoxia. Once you hit a certain threshold it begins to cause neurological, pulmonary, and occular problems with 1.4bar being generally the safe limit for O2 partial pressure at extended times. The deeper you go the lower % oxygen is in the air blend to keep te partial pressure to safe levels. These effects happens at sea level/space as well but it's less severe since the partial pressure is so low so you can get away with 100% oxygen enviornments for a pretty long time.

If he was at 1000 feet essentially he went from whatever they were using to 15bar partial pressure which is way beyond fatal. Even 50% at 30m can gently caress you day up.

Muffinpox fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Feb 11, 2011

antimatt
Sep 12, 2007

ultima ratio regum
I was in a feeder program for underwater welding back in high school and we learned a lot about oxygen toxicity. Wikipedia has a good article on it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oxygen_toxicity

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip
The remnants of an attempted jdm swap on a 9(8?) wrx

Bonus from the same shop

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

I'm trying to figure out what that little loop diagram is next to the rotary joke. Some kind of simple turbocharger system diagram?

E\/\/Right, yes, the big version... which I totally clicked on the first time. yep. moving on.

Fender Anarchist fucked around with this message at 10:19 on Feb 13, 2011

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
Looks like a diagram of a strap wrench in the big version of the photo.

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.
eh. I'm a blind idiot. Ignore this

Low Percent Lunge
Jan 29, 2007

14 INCH DICK TURBO posted:

Hey, pictures

I like to think this is a gigantic ship engine and that hole is large enough to step through.

Revolvyerom
Nov 12, 2005

Hell yes, tell him we're plenty front right now.

Whitey Ford posted:

I like to think this is a gigantic ship engine and that hole is large enough to step through.
Oh, jesus, it wasn't until you quoted it that I saw that giant gaping whole ripped through the side. I don't know how I missed that.

EssOEss
Oct 23, 2006
128-bit approved
Oh, that's a hole? The picture is so small I thought it was just some engine design feature (didn't even register as a hole, more like a bolt-on piece). Now it makes more sense.

Savington
Apr 9, 2007
I'm not Stinkmeister, this title is here so waar can tell the difference between Stinkmeister and myself in mafia games.
This happened to an Atlanta MiataTurbo guy. 100+y/o sweet gum tree fell in his yard and couldn't have possibly hit anything else. His brother-in-law was sitting in the blue Chevy about 3min before it happened, but decided to come back inside to say goodbye to family.

It ended up OK - his wife got a new RX330, all of the go-fast parts on his Miata survived, and the tree fell so hard it cracked the garage slab, which meant his insurance paid for his new, much larger garage. ;)

Savington fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Feb 14, 2011

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Engine shits itself on dyno:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUkXriHjQeI

teh jhey
May 23, 2004

Kitty needs more souls.

peepsalot posted:

The oil pouring out the bottom reminds me of slaughterhouse videos.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

teh jhey posted:

The oil pouring out the bottom reminds me of slaughterhouse videos.

The hilariously sad part is that you can tell its failed and they just kept running it.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

peepsalot posted:

That video lead me to this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wAUwF48VqY&feature=fvwrel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Plinkey posted:

That video lead me to this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wAUwF48VqY&feature=fvwrel

I'm sorry, he kind of deserved that, and the music just adds to the hilarity

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BFENUTtCpaQ&feature=related

And if your truck isn't moving while pulling the sled, chances are you should stop

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Feb 18, 2011