Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Anyone seen Jimmy 2-shoes?

I just watched an episode and it was pretty much "That's not funny..." the show.

Points for some neat backgrounds though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Sockser posted:

Jeremy's little sister is totally a jerk

Only when she's on the clock. Off-duty she's pretty okay.

Tartarus Sauce
Jan 16, 2006

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

readingatwork posted:

Wait. Is My Little Pony as a franchise even allowed to be good!?

If it's being done by Lauren Faust, then yes! (She's the wife of Craig McCracken, and she worked with him on "Foster's Home" and "The Powerpuff Girls.")

quote:

I just watched an episode and it was pretty much "That's not funny..." the show.

Yep. Jimmy-Two-Shoes just seemed dumb all around--plus, I'm not a fan of that angular artistic style, which has become entirely too common as of late.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

readingatwork posted:

Also, I'm reading the backlog of this thread and am noticing a lot of hate for Johny Test. I've never seen it so I'm going to have to go and see if it's really that bad.

*whipcrack* Yeah it's *guitar whammy bar* that *whipcrack* bad *whipcrack*

This comprises about 5 frames of animation that despite what you would think contain lots of character movement.

mobo85
Apr 21, 2007

I've just insulted the macaroni and cheese recipe of a whale! What part of that is not evil?

404GoonNotFound posted:

Only when she's on the clock. Off-duty she's pretty okay.

Exactly. Heck, she even taught Candace how to get Phineas and Ferb to bust themselves!*

*Results may vary.

Horse Pepsi
Aug 26, 2010

by T. Finn
Power Rangers is returning with Power Rangers: Samurai on Nickelodeon (tonight at 8PM ET and Sundays at noon after this week). Paul Schrier is returning as Bulk and apparently the theme song is a redone version of the original MMPR theme. :toot:

Can't wait to see how they adapt the series for the next season, though. The Super Sentai has a pirate motif and the Rangers have the power to change into all 35 previous Super Sentai teams. :aaa:

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
Sundays at noon is good. My DVR is usually busy with Adventure Time/Regular show.

mobo85
Apr 21, 2007

I've just insulted the macaroni and cheese recipe of a whale! What part of that is not evil?

Horse Pepsi posted:

Power Rangers is returning with Power Rangers: Samurai on Nickelodeon (tonight at 8PM ET and Sundays at noon after this week).

To steal a line from NBC News, they're not "returning"- that would indicate they had gone somewhere. Believe it or not, Power Rangers series were in production up to 2009. Haim Saban recently bought back the rights to the franchise from Disney, and he hopes this new incarnation will make them as inescapable as they were back in 1993. Will it work? Only time will tell.

Horse Pepsi
Aug 26, 2010

by T. Finn

mobo85 posted:

To steal a line from NBC News, they're not "returning"- that would indicate they had gone somewhere. Believe it or not, Power Rangers series were in production up to 2009. Haim Saban recently bought back the rights to the franchise from Disney, and he hopes this new incarnation will make them as inescapable as they were back in 1993. Will it work? Only time will tell.
I know, but they were dead in the water with Disney (no new series probably and only a piss poor "remastering" of the original MMPR episodes) until Saban bought it back.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

quote:

Paul Schrier is returning as Bulk

:stare: How in the hell is this going to work...

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Dexo posted:

Well, first he put his head in a tube, then he got the glowing dye...

Horse Pepsi
Aug 26, 2010

by T. Finn

Dexo posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTvOhTJUEC4

Apparently that might be Skull's storyline kid, Spike. :stare:

Horse Pepsi fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Feb 8, 2011

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Horse Pepsi posted:

Power Rangers is returning with Power Rangers: Samurai on Nickelodeon (tonight at 8PM ET and Sundays at noon after this week). Paul Schrier is returning as Bulk and apparently the theme song is a redone version of the original MMPR theme. :toot:

Really? I get that he's a legacy character, and maybe since kids have been watching the re-run MMPR they'll know who he is, but just let the man retire.

Horse Pepsi posted:

The Super Sentai has a pirate motif and the Rangers have the power to change into all 35 previous Super Sentai teams. :aaa:

:aaaaa:

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

TwoPair posted:

:aaaaa:
Yep.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=m3urDHmHhio

Click here for the full 1600x1374 image.

For reference:

The team.

The mecha.

The ranger forms, divied up by color.

The first pic of the sixth ranger, looking silly as hell.

404GoonNotFound fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Feb 8, 2011

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Oh man, I can't stop laughing. It's like the costume designers were just sitting around saying "How do we get the idea that he's the sixth ranger across to the audience?" then a few minutes later one guy said "We could glue tiny versions of all the old 6th ranger helmets to him...", and then they just went with it.

Oh, and the Red Sentai guy's name is Captain Marvelous. I don't want that part to get changed in translation at all.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

TwoPair posted:

Oh man, I can't stop laughing. It's like the costume designers were just sitting around saying "How do we get the idea that he's the sixth ranger across to the audience?" then a few minutes later one guy said "We could glue tiny versions of all the old 6th ranger helmets to him...", and then they just went with it.

Oh, and the Red Sentai guy's name is Captain Marvelous. I don't want that part to get changed in translation at all.

To be fair, there is a precedent.*
*The upgraded form of Kamen Rider Decade from two years ago. And yes, fans thought it was silly then too.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

404GoonNotFound posted:

To be fair, there is a precedent.*
*The upgraded form of Kamen Rider Decade from two years ago. And yes, fans thought it was silly then too.

It's even more absurd in action.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTId3LZSkyg

But at least like in Decade it seems to be more of a super mode thing than him always walking around like that.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Horse Pepsi posted:

Paul Schrier is returning as Bulk

No loving way.

e: And his sidekick is Skull's kid. I need to watch this.

BENGHAZI 2 fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Feb 8, 2011

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Dexo posted:

It's even more absurd in action.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTId3LZSkyg

But at least like in Decade it seems to be more of a super mode thing than him always walking around like that.

I'm a little disappointed he didn't call out Kamen Rider G. His thing is alcohol.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

MurraneousX posted:

I'm a little disappointed he didn't call out Kamen Rider G. His thing is alcohol.

It really only called out the previous nine Heisei shows.

Also, the "Wise mentor" in PR:S is Grumm from SPD. This show is basically HEY LOOK AT THIS OLD poo poo and I'm digging it.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
Umm, okay, apparently GWAR recorded two songs for the Kids Next Door episode "F.O.O.D.F.I.T.E." That's kinda awesome.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
Apparently they led off PR:S with the third episode, so there was almost no character development and zero introduction to anything because one would assume you already know what's going on after two episodes. Absolutely terrible. Now to get really goony:

-The dub work was sub-par at best, several characters were fighting not to let their accents slip through
-There's a totally unnecessary (and terrible) costume change to use their zords
-Practically no effort in their technique and item naming. They're samurai. Throw a couple Japanese words around. I doubt you're gonna confuse kids that much, a lot of them watch anime these days.
-Why bother changing the morpher from Shinkenger if it's going to be used in the exact same way? You went from a cell phone that turns into a calligraphy brush to a cell phone with a CG light on top. Brilliant.
-Speaking of morphing, how low-effort is their morphing phrase this year? "Go, Go, Samurai!" :downs: I realize that "It's morphin' time" isn't exactly that much greater, but it's iconic. That's like getting mad at every Kamen Rider saying "Henshin" when they transform.
-The super sappy teamwork bullshit seems really forced this season, and "Rangers together, Samurai forever" ain't helping the case.
-They've apparently confused samurai and ninja at several points.
-The megazord toy is remolded and lovely, and that drives me insane.
EDIT: Also, "folding" zords. They won't even use the word origami. God drat. Also hilarious because the toys can't go into their box forms.

End rant. :goonsay:

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

SpazmasterX posted:

-The megazord toy is remolded and lovely, and that drives me insane.
EDIT: Also, "folding" zords. They won't even use the word origami. God drat. Also hilarious because the toys can't go into their box forms.

Wait what? They cut the budget on the US mecha release that much?

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

404GoonNotFound posted:

Wait what? They cut the budget on the US mecha release that much?

Check the reviews on youtube. They made most of them solid plastic.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
Are they still making PR in New Zealand?

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

Dr Tran posted:

Are they still making PR in New Zealand?

Production is still set in New Zealand but will have a mixed American/Canadian/New Zealander/Australian cast.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
Is it still in production? I wonder if they'll do an RPM team up.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

I don't understand the logic here. They're skipping Goseiger, which was built as a tie-in to a dice/card/something game?

That's ... un-American!

I am super stoked about this new series though. No clue how they'll handle Sentai older than Zyuranger in the American version

e: Or the Yellow Ranger turning into dudes

e2: Or Blue turning into the blue Ninja Ranger :crossarms:

e3: YELLOW TURNS INTO JOKER FROM JAKQ. gently caress YEAH.

e4: Do they morph by turning an action figure into a key and putting it in a cell phone?

Sockser fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Feb 10, 2011

mobo85
Apr 21, 2007

Sockser posted:

I don't understand the logic here. They're skipping Goseiger, which was built as a tie-in to a dice/card/something game?

e4: Do they morph by turning an action figure into a key and putting it in a cell phone?

Those both sound like they'd violate FCC regulations against "host selling."

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!
Poor Trini, she never got any storylines. And she turned into a man when she morphed. That'd be uncomfortable. Right?

First episode of the new Power Rangers Samurai was ok. I don't think much of the lead kids yet and this Sensai guy seems irritating. Bulk's welcome back, but Spike, Skull's kid? Not so much.

So the Pirate theme with retro powers is the go with the new Japanese PR? Interesting. I assume there's going to be a finale with an army of rangers. Ie one from every season.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Sockser posted:

That's ... un-American!

I am super stoked about this new series though. No clue how they'll handle Sentai older than Zyuranger in the American version

e: Or the Yellow Ranger turning into dudes

e2: Or Blue turning into the blue Ninja Ranger :crossarms:

e3: YELLOW TURNS INTO JOKER FROM JAKQ. gently caress YEAH.

Look at Blue in that cast pic again. He's drat near a tranny already. (Seriously though, they're altering the costumes for cross-gender rangers, like Pink as GekiViolet, the best ranger ever. Yeah, I said it. He's a goddamn Muay Thai Kickboxing werewolf with a swing dancing theme song)

Also, it's not Joker, it's BIG ONE :c00lbert:

E: Well gently caress, looking at it again it looks she's GekiChopper. He's... okay, I guess.

404GoonNotFound fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Feb 11, 2011

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Are the power rangers still color coded based on their race? I still remember one of those voiceovers during the credits to some Fox Kids show where the black guy came on and said "Hey everyone, it's Zack, the black ranger!" and I thought he was referring to the fact that he was the token black guy before realizing he meant the color of his uniform.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

raditts posted:

Are the power rangers still color coded based on their race? I still remember one of those voiceovers during the credits to some Fox Kids show where the black guy came on and said "Hey everyone, it's Zack, the black ranger!" and I thought he was referring to the fact that he was the token black guy before realizing he meant the color of his uniform.
Don't forget the pink ranger was a girl. And the red ranger, while a white guy, was supposed to be part Native American.

But no, they don't do that anymore.

Technically it stopped as soon as they added a green ranger who wasn't Irish. And they didn't continue it once they started switching out cast members.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

Cardboard Box A posted:

Don't forget the pink ranger was a girl. And the red ranger, while a white guy, was supposed to be part Native American.

Seems like you're pulling the red out of your rear end.

The yellow ranger was asian though v:shobon:v

and now she's (Thuy Trang) dead.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

The stairs lead down in both directions.

Sockser posted:

I remember reading online that the guy who played the original blue ranger (David Yost) was gay and got a ton of poo poo about it from the cast and crew while working on the show and its many spin-offs. He later tried to enter one of those christian-run programs designed to purge people of their homosexuality, but wound up having a nervous breakdown instead.

It's not easy being a power ranger it seems. :(

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
^^^

Holy poo poo! Do you have a link to this? I'd love to read it.

Tartarus Sauce
Jan 16, 2006

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

Macrame_God posted:

I remember reading online that the guy who played the original blue ranger (David Yost) was gay and got a ton of poo poo about it from the cast and crew while working on the show and its many spin-offs. He later tried to enter one of those christian-run programs designed to purge people of their homosexuality, but wound up having a nervous breakdown instead.

It's not easy being a power ranger it seems. :(

That's awful! Poor guy!

I was never a big fan of the Power Rangers--Batman and X-Men were more my thing--but he and the green ranger were my favorites, largely because they were cute, and because those are two of my favorite colours :).

I'm glad he's doing better now, after all that.

Readingatwork, here's an interview with David Yost:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TmlcuY8bOUk&feature=related

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Sockser posted:

Didn't somebody in the original Power Rangers cast, not any of the Rangers but one of the secondary characters, murder someone too?

edit:
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,514255,00.html

quote:

Orange County Superior Court Judge Frank F. Fasel on Friday imposed the sentence recommended by the jury that convicted 29-year old Skylar Deleon of killing Tom and Jackie Hawks of Prescott, Ariz.

Prosecutors say the Long Beach man and a teen actor in a "Power Rangers" TV series feigned interest in buying the couple's yacht and killed them during a test cruise in 2004.

Deleon overpowered them on a test cruise, tied them to an anchor and tossed them into the Pacific Ocean as they begged for their lives, according to the prosecution.

After the yacht killings, the prosecution said, Deleon and his then-wife Jennifer Henderson scrubbed the boat clean with bleach wipes in Newport Harbor.

The Hawks' bodies were never found.

:stare:

raditts fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Feb 12, 2011

thelaughingman
Mar 14, 2005
oooh I like madness!

raditts posted:

Didn't somebody in the original Power Rangers cast, not any of the Rangers but one of the secondary characters, murder someone too?

edit:
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,514255,00.html

:stare:

I think he was just an extra.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah, not really an actor.

Re: David Yost.

Well, everything I had heard up until just now was basically every other person involved in the show saying that he was kind of a dick and a poo poo to work with.

Then in august,
http://www.tmz.com/2010/08/26/blue-power-ranger-mighty-morphin-power-rangers-david-yost-gay-harassment-quit/

And then quickly, in response,
http://www.tmz.com/2010/08/27/mighty-morphin-power-rangers-blue-ranger-david-yost-gay-producer-scott-page-pagter-money/

So yeah. I'm more inclined to say that the dude was just kind of a dick.

e: and here
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NYmwuH-8QT0

e:
I don't know why I think these are so funny
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQHoi7rPics&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NrjcXp7eKSk&feature=watch_response
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OM5pV51kiho&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9GIVyDBwKU&feature=related

Sockser fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Feb 12, 2011