Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

The problem with Segoe is that it doesn't have a huge unicode bank for Chinese, Japanese, or Korean characters. It does have Cyrillic and Arabian though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

dissss posted:

I don't know if its suitable for Symbian but the Segoe UI (the default Vista/Windows 7 UI font) looks pretty good on Android.

There is a Zune version too (Zegoe) might also be worth a look

Seconding this, Segoe UI looks amazing on my phone.

JSW2
Apr 26, 2008

LiquidRain posted:

I have no good will towards Nokia. I know why I bought my N8 and I know when I'm getting rid of it.

Your best bet to get international language support is to try and convince someone from the region you'd like to copy the fonts off their Z: and send them to you. I tried pleading on Howard Forums for someone with a HK phone to do this, but I had no luck in getting a response. If you do get your hands on the .ttf files, you can just drop them in E:\resource\fonts on your N8 (hook up your N8 in mass memory USB mode or you don't get write access) as the following: [. . .]

You can use any unicode TTF font file in there, actually. Just rename anything from your Windows/Mac to those 4 files. Be warned, though, that the majority of TTFs you'll find take up a lot more screen space than the S^3 font. Also be warned that the S60v5 font is different than S^3 and that, while it works and will render int'l fonts, looks ugly when rendered on S^3.

Mind if I ask what your reasoning for both is and was? I haven't heard too much in the way of good first-hand accounts. Also, if it's orange or dark grey, I may be interested in it once I sort this out. (Edit: Okay, apparently you bought it for the same reasons I want it, Ovi Maps and the camera.)

Thanks again for all the information; you've been a great help. I'll have to mull it over and see what Nokia has to say on Friday before going any further with this I guess.

One final question though: If I go through the steps of placing a new font in E:\, is it pretty simple to revert to the original S^3 fonts?

"LiquidRain"[edit2 posted:

If you live in a Euro region or any region with actual, physical Nokia care centres, you can try visiting. I don't though, so fun times!

Nope, I live and work in the US.

As far as the Symbian repository goes, isn't the Chinese font (and therefore possibly others) open-sourced? I could've sworn I read that while trying to find more info on this.

big mean giraffe posted:

Seconding this, Segoe UI looks amazing on my phone.

What OS are you running? Android or Symbian?

JSW2 fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Feb 10, 2011

WorldWarWonderful
Jul 15, 2004
Eh?

JSW2 posted:

(Edit: Okay, apparently you bought it for the same reasons I want it, Ovi Maps and the camera.)

He also bought it because he's a giant klutz and the N8 is an absolute tank. :q:

I'm very satisfied with mine but I'll still be the first to admit it still needs improvements, and it's not a phone I'd recommend to anyone who isn't used to Nokia's....special way of doing things.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

WorldWarWonderful posted:

I'm very satisfied with mine but I'll still be the first to admit it still needs improvements, and it's not a phone I'd recommend to anyone who isn't used to Nokia's....special way of doing things.

But... but it's battery and memory efficient!

I went back to my N82 yesterday to try and mess around with SportsTracker. Good lord, it felt like putting on shoes made of concrete and walking uphill.

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

JSW2 posted:

(Edit: Okay, apparently you bought it for the same reasons I want it, Ovi Maps and the camera.)
The camera was #1. I'm going travelling a lot this year, and while I have a DSLR, sometimes you can't use one. My DSLR also does not take video. I didn't want a point and shoot, as it'd be 1 more gadget to bring/charge/etc. #2 was offline turn-by-turn nav, which has saved my rear end more than once. #3 was, as WorldWarWonderful said, the fact that I tend to physically abuse my devices, and Android phones generally aren't of high build quality. (and I'm not buying into the walled garden)

The N8 has until the time I get back from most of my travels (June) to be improved or I will once again ceremoniously dump Nokia, build quality or not. Every day I use my N8 I get more and more frustrated, now that I know what sweet, sweet Android nectar tastes like.

quote:

One final question though: If I go through the steps of placing a new font in E:\, is it pretty simple to revert to the original S^3 fonts?
You bet, just delete the files out of E:\ the same way you got them on.

quote:

As far as the Symbian repository goes, isn't the Chinese font (and therefore possibly others) open-sourced? I could've sworn I read that while trying to find more info on this.
It's entirely possible the Chinese part might be open-sourced, but what matters is what happens when you're reading English. I currently have Meiryo UI on my phone and the E n g l i s h l e t t e r s a r e r e a l l y w i d e. It's a pain in the rear end, which is why I want the original S^3 font with Japanese/Chinese characters, so I can read both kanji and retain nice English rendering as well.

quote:

What OS are you running? Android or Symbian?
Segoe UI is nice on Symbian but fatter than the default S^3 font, which is something I'm finding almost universal amongst all replacement fonts. You really need a skinny font or it feels like it just uses a massive amount of screen space. I think the font rendering is really tuned to Nokia's font, understandably.

LiquidRain fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Feb 10, 2011

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
Looks like the ride is over:

http://conversations.nokia.com/2011/02/11/open-letter-from-ceo-stephen-elop-nokia-and-ceo-steve-ballmer-microsoft/?sf1066305=1

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

I must admit I'm a little disappointed they went with WP7 as opposed to Android. I can see this being good for Microsoft though because this gives them an instant shot of credibility. I'm also a little disappointed that this may effectively kill Meego development. And yes, a little part of me is sad to see Symbian go too.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Wow, why not android? Seriously, hitching yourself to a company whose mobile strategy has been sketchy at best is doing no favors to your own company at all.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Peven Stan posted:

Wow, why not android? Seriously, hitching yourself to a company whose mobile strategy has been sketchy at best is doing no favors to your own company at all.

Microsoft need Nokia as much as Nokia needs anybody right now. Meanwhile, everyone who isn't Apple is making Android phones so there's a lot less opportunity to stand out.

It definitely a gamble, but it's not hard to see how they got here.

Otik
Apr 6, 2005

Psycho log baby
I can see the conversations in the board room at Espoo right now. Symbian has reached the limits of its potential and MeeGo is simply not ready to base an entire product line on yet.

Nokia needed a modern OS now or risk completely losing any hold over the smartphone market by the time MeeGo was ready for prime-time. Of course, this is at a time when Nokia is starting to lose their massive advantage at the bottom end by former KIRFers starting to make decent phones at minimal cost.

I'll be interested to see what they bring out and how things go.

FAKE EDIT: Oh, and I'm an IT grad looking for work in Helsinki. Things are going to get even harder for me over here once the layoffs start and there are even fewer jobs available *sigh*

WorldWarWonderful
Jul 15, 2004
Eh?
Symbian is a powerful OS hampered by a terrible UI and Nokia's seriously-:wtc: way of doing things. I haven't used Windows Mobile 7 at all but from what I understand it's adopted Apple's "walled garden" way of doing things, which is why I'd prefer Android or Meego.

I can sort of understand why they went with Microsoft but I'm a bit let down they didn't choose Android. It's going to be interesting to see how they perform, but it'll be a while before we see much.

Edit: So, what are we changing the thread title to :q:

WorldWarWonderful fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Feb 11, 2011

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

Adopt Android, port Qt to Android, port Ovi Store to Android, run Qt apps on both Android and Symbian.

Or just hire an ex-Microsoft execute and hand them the reigns to your company.

Gonna quote the joke going around: Microsoft just bought Nokia for $0.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

LiquidRain posted:

Microsoft just bought Nokia for -$1 * (# of Windows Phone 7 licenses Nokia needs). :v:

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

So much for my N8 getting better software down the line. I wonder if they'll even bother with 2.0 now (or even rolling out 1.1).

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

DuckConference posted:

So much for my N8 getting better software down the line. I wonder if they'll even bother with 2.0 now (or even rolling out 1.1).
I was going to say that I'd like my Ovi Store back (which 1.1 will restore) but who cares? There won't be any interesting new apps coming out now. Nobody's going to bother developing for Symbian or Qt. There's no point.

Nokia just effectively abandoned everything.

Elop said we'll see "enhancements" to Symbian, but yeah loving right. Still waiting for 1.1 to hit NAM and I've heard that update song and dance and that was before Symbian was abandoned.

Welp, time to start looking at Android phones again, build quality or not.

LiquidRain fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Feb 11, 2011

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

New thread title.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!
This is probably the best move for Nokia (aside from maybe licensing webos). Why? Nokia would get lost amongst the crowd in the Android arms race. Nokia always has solid hardware, but it's rarely bleeding edge. There's not much wiggle room for them amongst Samsung, HTC, motorola and LG. They have a chance here to really shine as the premier Windows Phone manufacturer. They ARE going to have to work their asses off to bring WP7 up on par with Android and iOS though. I predict a heated battle over third place between HP, Nokia/Microsoft, and RIM.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I do think this was the best OS choice for Nokia, however that's only half the battle.

Until they iron out their relationships with US carriers and start getting subsidized smartphone hardware into retail stores, their presence in the US market will remain non-existent.

Lot 49
Dec 7, 2007

I'll do anything
For my sweet sixteen
All you have to do to stand out in the Android crowd is use stock android.

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

The sad part is, he wasn't always evil.
I think it's a great move for Nokia. It's the best OS choice for Nokia and MS gets a huge 'exclusive' partner for WP7.

I don't even think the biggest issue is Nokia's North American partnerships, but the maintaining the goodwill with the existing Nokia blind faithful, particularly Europeans who appear to be taking this as some sort of Americanisation of their company.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

I'm really surprised that they binned Symbian though. I honestly thought they were just going to push it down into their low end to make the dumbphone smarter.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

LiquidRain posted:

Adopt Android, port Qt to Android, port Ovi Store to Android, run Qt apps on both Android and Symbian.

Or just hire an ex-Microsoft execute and hand them the reigns to your company.

Qt has already been unofficially ported to Android, actually. I'm sort of hoping Google may adopt it officially at some point to have a hedge against losing their Java lawsuits, but that's a long shot.

Otik
Apr 6, 2005

Psycho log baby

ZShakespeare posted:

I'm really surprised that they binned Symbian though. I honestly thought they were just going to push it down into their low end to make the dumbphone smarter.

I agree. Is there any way that they'll be able to cut down MeeGo to work on bargain-bin hardware? They've released charts suggesting the total phasing out of Symbian in favour of Windows Phone 7 across all markets, but I can't picture the developing world being able to afford the hardware necessary, and that market is so important to Nokia that they simply can't afford to cock it up.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

Kobayashi posted:

Microsoft just bought Nokia for -$1 * (# of Windows Phone 7 licenses Nokia needs). :v:

Actually I am wrong. Microsoft paid Nokia "hundreds of millions of dollars" to go Windows Phone 7.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

LiquidRain posted:

I was going to say that I'd like my Ovi Store back (which 1.1 will restore) but who cares? There won't be any interesting new apps coming out now. Nobody's going to bother developing for Symbian or Qt. There's no point.

Nokia just effectively abandoned everything.

Did you honestly expect Nokia to support the N8 for years to come? Most Nokia phones are born then kicked out of the nest, especially the North American ones.

Say what you want about Apple, but their approach works because they release one and only one phone at a time so the intensity of coverage and attention is so much greater than when Nokia releases four phones at a time two or three times a year. With Nokia's release schedule, there's no time for build up or hype. Consequently no one but hardcore Nokia fans get excited about new Nokia phones.

What this also does for Apple is it allows the developers and engineers time to work out the bugs in their software so while the first iPhone was definitely nothing to write home about and had a lot of shortcomings, the current iOS version on the iPhone 4 is awesome. I think a large part of this is because Apple has worked on a total of 5 phones (including the iPhone 4 CDMA variant) over about 5 years, all running the same operating system.

So what should Nokia do?

-Simplify the product line by offering one N-series touchscreen and one E-series keyboard phone per year max. Stop the shotgun approach and focus on making the best phones possible instead of releasing a steady stream of what are effectively stopgap phones one after another.

-Stop making a big deal out of releasing low-end phones because it takes away from the buzz that your premium phones should generate. Just put the cheap phones out there and let the carriers worry about selling them.

-Make a truly premium phone to give Nokia a chance at the high end. The problem with Nokia's current flagships like the N8 are that they are compared to the iPhone because they are Nokia's best phones but in reality they are mid-range phones. This makes Nokia look bad because they are tying their own hands behind their back by trying to make a high-end phone at a mid-range price point. If the phone is good and sexy enough, people will pay money for it. People are paying ~$800 for iPhone 4s and even lining up for hours for the privilege. When was the last time anyone ever lined up to buy a Nokia?

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005
http://www.techradar.com/news/phone...rc=rss&attr=all

1000 employees walk out

Guess they see the writing on the wall.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Godinster posted:

1000 employees walk out

There's always going to be some uncertainty around big changes like this. I did find it amusing that some of them used "flex time" as a walkout, those crazy europeans. :)

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Maneki Neko posted:

There's always going to be some uncertainty around big changes like this. I did find it amusing that some of them used "flex time" as a walkout, those crazy europeans. :)

The funny thing is that if Elop wants to relocate Nokia's head office to the US, the best case scenario is for these employees to just quit because it means no severance.

Otik
Apr 6, 2005

Psycho log baby

HPL posted:

The funny thing is that if Elop wants to relocate Nokia's head office to the US, the best case scenario is for these employees to just quit because it means no severance.

Head Office is in Espoo, not Tampere.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

Godinster posted:

1000 employees walk out

Isn't Nokia basically the national industry in Finland? I can see why it'd get so political over such a drastic shift.

Shares are down 13% though? Ouch. I thought there'd be more positivity surrounding a new direction for Nokia, seeing as how the old one was working out for them.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

ZShakespeare posted:

This is probably the best move for Nokia (aside from maybe licensing webos). Why? Nokia would get lost amongst the crowd in the Android arms race. Nokia always has solid hardware, but it's rarely bleeding edge. There's not much wiggle room for them amongst Samsung, HTC, motorola and LG.

I'd have thought it'd be even harder to differentiate themselves in WP7 given you can't chuck a skin over it like you could in Android.

Aside from Motorola the big Android handset producers are also doing WP7 models remember.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

The number of models that HTC, LG, and Samsung have out though are far fewer than they have for Android and they are obviously on a slower release schedule so the market is a bit less crowded.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

bull3964 posted:

The number of models that HTC, LG, and Samsung have out though are far fewer than they have for Android and they are obviously on a slower release schedule so the market is a bit less crowded.

For now, and given no one is buying them that's to be expected. Once WP7 takes off as a platform things are going to speed up considerably

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

dissss posted:

I'd have thought it'd be even harder to differentiate themselves in WP7 given you can't chuck a skin over it like you could in Android.

Aside from Motorola the big Android handset producers are also doing WP7 models remember.

HTC, Samsung, and LG will likely always prioritize their Android phones over their Windows phones. Nokia has an opportunity here to be the quintessential Windows Phone experience. Depending on the nature of the partnership with Microsoft they can own the hardware and software experience in much the same manner that Apple does to make a really slick product. At least if they are smart they will.

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

The sad part is, he wasn't always evil.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

ZShakespeare posted:

Nokia has an opportunity here to be the quintessential Windows Phone experience. Depending on the nature of the partnership with Microsoft they can own the hardware and software experience in much the same manner that Apple does to make a really slick product. At least if they are smart they will.

The whole point of WP7s relatively strict hardware requirements is that any WP7 phone should provide the 'quintessential Windows Phone experience'.

Anyway it'll be interesting to see what happens to the track - six months from now and we'll know if this move has paid off

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

dissss posted:

For now, and given no one is buying them that's to be expected. Once WP7 takes off as a platform things are going to speed up considerably

Microsoft has much tighter hardware restrictions so the handset variety will never be quite as extensive or varied as it is with Android.

There are only so many variations of "slab with 1ghz snapdragon" that you can put on the market. Release a big one, a small one, and one with a physical keyboard and your'e pretty much done for the year. Most of the Android handset release schedule is driven by the hardware. The have different form factors, newer radios, higher resolution screens, and new processors. However, if HTC wants to put an LTE radio, qHD screen, or a Tegra 2 in their next WP7 device, they have to wait for Microsoft's blessing.

So far, Microsoft has shown little interest in keeping up with everyone else on the hardware arms race. If Nokia can put out a really polished device with great build, high quality camera, excellent reception, and perfect support, then they could corner the market on WP7. There simply isn't enough room in Android's market to do that right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

frumpsnake posted:

Might as well name it the Nokia Samsung Focus. Even the curves on the back look familiar.

• Locked thread