Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006

El Duke posted:

Not before having a match that even JR, on commentary, said set wrestling back twenty years.

In a tag match against Al Snow and Head, Christopher pinned Head by attaching a bottle of Head and Shoulders, so he could put its shoulders to the mat.

I feel really bad because I'm giggling like a child at that image.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sugar Blaster
Dec 15, 2004

All ears, all eyes, all the time!

Captain Charisma posted:

Am I crazy, or did Too Cool start off as a heel team with that gimmick, with the point that they were out of touch, uncool losers trying to be what they perceived as cool?
I don't know WHY I remember this, but they announced on Sunday Night Heat that they were changing their name to Too Cool and then (I think) Brian Christopher got injured shortly after, they were AWOL for a while and when they came back they added Rikishi to the group and that's when they became faces.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

El Duke posted:

Not before having a match that even JR, on commentary, said set wrestling back twenty years.

In a tag match against Al Snow and Head, Christopher pinned Head by attaching a bottle of Head and Shoulders, so he could put its shoulders to the mat.

People are talking about this like it was a bad thing.

El Duke Silver
Aug 15, 2008

rarely goes out and should never be approached

Pneub posted:

People are talking about this like it was a bad thing.

It was Al Snow's WWF wrestling debut, on PPV, in the middle of the show. The match itself was bad, as well. The idea sounds kind of funny out of context, but during the PPV, debuting a guy who had a pretty hot gimmick in ECW, it was pretty rough all around.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

El Duke posted:

It was Al Snow's WWF wrestling debut, on PPV, in the middle of the show. The match itself was bad, as well. The idea sounds kind of funny out of context, but during the PPV, debuting a guy who had a pretty hot gimmick in ECW, it was pretty rough all around.
Wasn't Al Snow part of the New Rockers years before that?

Whitey Bear
Nov 29, 2006

The Streetwise Pimp

BlueArmyMan posted:

2) What was the reasoning behind the Honky Tonk Man being IC champ for so long? Were there no other wrestlers the title could've been moved to, did he politic to keep it, or was it a way to keep him satisfied?

Honky's win was incidental as he was substitute for Butch Reed, who no-showed the title match. After that happened Randy Savage was supposed to take the I-C title from HTM but HTM threatened to jump to Crockett if this happened. I think the WWE realized he was a valuable enough heel that people would pay to see him get beat but even more importantly I think they decided to relent, bide their time, and pay HTM back in the best way they could, in a squash match against the Ultimate Warrior. After that match there wasn't anything particularly threatening about Honky anymore but people still wanted to see him get beat.

To placate Savage he was instead booked to win the WrestleMania IV title tournament instead of Ted DiBiase. Apparently, this has been a point of contention between Honky and DiBiase ever since.

LividLiquid posted:

Yes, as Leif Cassidy.

LightsGameraAction
Sep 4, 2006
Not that I'd expect any company to be forthcoming with info like this, but has there ever been a case where a finish got messed up in a title match? Like the wrong guy was pinned or something, so that the guy who wasn't booked to win wins?

I'm talking legitimate accidents, not something like the Montreal Screwjob.

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.

LightsGameraAction posted:

Not that I'd expect any company to be forthcoming with info like this, but has there ever been a case where a finish got messed up in a title match? Like the wrong guy was pinned or something, so that the guy who wasn't booked to win wins?

Cena botched the ending to a Royal Rumble, and accidently eliminated Batista, who was meant to win it. It caused a bit of visual chaos, as Cena, Batista and a bunch of referees tried to stall for time in the ring, while everyone rang around backstage trying to find an on-air authority figure who could run out and reverse the decision.

Usually, they go out of their way to make sure the booked winner still goes over, like the incredibly awkward match where Austin breaks his neck, and Owen has to fall over helplessly and lie prone on the mat for 3 seconds, while Austin's palalyzed body "pins" him.

Tyma fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Feb 11, 2011

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

El Duke posted:

Ouch. I guess it was good that I was WCW at the time.

Pneub fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Feb 11, 2011

Save Russian Jews
Jun 7, 2007

who the fuck is this guy anyway, i can't even see his face

Lipstick Apathy

Tyma posted:

Cena botched the ending to a Royal Rumble, and accidently eliminated Batista, who was meant to win it. It caused a bit of visual chaos, as Cena, Batista and a bunch of referees tried to stall for time in the ring, while everyone rang around backstage trying to find an on-air authority figure who could run out and reverse the decision.

Usually, they go out of their way to make sure the booked winner still goes over, like the incredibly awkward match where Austin breaks his neck, and Owen has to fall over helplessly and lie prone on the mat for 3 seconds, while Austin's palalyzed body "pins" him.

Owen 3:16 says "I Just Broke Your Neck [and still lost]"

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009

This doesn't answer your question but in Foley's first book he talks about how he was joking around backstage before his title match against Ron Simmons, who was WCW champion at the time. Foley said that if anything were to happen to Ron, he could be the first white man in the history of wrestling to ever beat a black man for the world title. This was overheard by Arn Anderson, who then walked over to Foley and said "Cactus, i don't care if he has a heart attack in there. You will roll him on top of you."

Wheresmy5bucks
Feb 10, 2007

So, where is it?
I thought when the Radicals first came to WWF, they were suppose to pin the New Age Outlaws in a series of matches to get a contract. Eddie broke his arm, and told Road Dogg I believe to pin him, and the NAO won the match.

The common story surrounding it was I think Malenko lost to X-Pac, Eddie/Saturn were suppose to beat the NAO, and Benoit was meant to steal a win over Triple H.

I don't know if it went as booked all along or it was really changed on the fly.

El Duke Silver
Aug 15, 2008

LividLiquid posted:

Yeah, I meant as Al Snow, coming from ECW with the Head gimmick in tow.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA

El Duke posted:

Yeah, I meant as Al Snow, coming from ECW with the Head gimmick in tow.

Lateslip but that head and shoulders gag was from an episode of Raw.

El Duke Silver
Aug 15, 2008

Moose Bigelow posted:

Lateslip but that head and shoulders gag was from an episode of Raw.

Then it also happened at KOTR98: http://www.prowrestlinghistory.com/supercards/usa/wwf/kingring.html#98

Edit: and this was also his first WWF match with the Al Snow/Head gimmick, because this match was for a meeting with Vince McMahon to get a contract, which Lawler had been promising. So it happened here first, either way.

El Duke Silver fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Feb 11, 2011

Minges
May 4, 2006
'Cause everybody hates a tourist
I remember on Shotgun for a while, one of Too Much was injured. He'd do guest commentary wearing gramma sweaters while some indy scrub (I forget whom, I ask somewhere online every couple of years because I never write it down) filled in with the healthy partner. The injured partner got all jealous while the healthy partner and the fill-in acted innocent and there were a lot of veiled "we're not loving" jokes.

My point is Shotgun, Metal, Jakked and Heat were the best shows. Also does anybody remember who that guy was?

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

Tyma posted:

I just re-watched that Rumble and if that was an accident, they really have their poo poo together because there really wasn't any stalling for time. The refs were doing the raising the hand of the winner ref fight routine in like 2 seconds and the cameras were in the right spots at the right times. I really don't know that it was an accident.

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People

Minges posted:

I remember on Shotgun for a while, one of Too Much was injured. He'd do guest commentary wearing gramma sweaters while some indy scrub (I forget whom, I ask somewhere online every couple of years because I never write it down) filled in with the healthy partner. The injured partner got all jealous while the healthy partner and the fill-in acted innocent and there were a lot of veiled "we're not loving" jokes.

My point is Shotgun, Metal, Jakked and Heat were the best shows. Also does anybody remember who that guy was?

Shotgun was legit the best WWF show for awhile. They experimented with the more adult oriented stuff there before it made it to RAW.

I remember an eight man where Too much came out with the harris twins when they were in DOA and rode bitch on the back of the motorcycles while wearing hot pink helmets.

Bearnt!
Feb 6, 2004

No onions, no onions

Whitey Bear posted:

Honky's win was incidental as he was substitute for Butch Reed, who no-showed the title match.

I recall Butch Reed going on record somewhere saying this isn't true and it's a rumor that's been going on for awhile now. As far as he knows there were never plans to put the IC title on him nor was he late to said show. Come to think of it when Honky wins the title I'm pretty sure Reed is shown amongst other heels in the back celebrating with him.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
HTM is my favorite discussion topic because everyone just winds up calling him Honky.

Bad Gandalf
Sep 19, 2010
Who the hell did Santino Marella piss off?

Wojtek
Oct 17, 2008

Alex_OA posted:

What do you mean? Santino is over as gently caress and has the meaningless tag team titles. He gets more mic time than midcarders and constantly loses, yet has a recurring role on the A show.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

Wojtek posted:

What do you mean? Santino is over as gently caress and has the meaningless tag team titles. He gets more mic time than midcarders and constantly loses, yet has a recurring role on the A show.

I also heard he is one of the few guys who gets to write his own script.

Bad Gandalf
Sep 19, 2010

KungFu Grip posted:

I also heard he is one of the few guys who gets to write his own script.

Serious? It just comes across like he acted cocky or whatnot backstage so they give him all these goofy rear end angles. Fair play to him if its all his idea though.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

also honky got his reign because steamboat wanted to take time off to be with his kid, when the original plan was for him to have a lengthy reign.

LightsGameraAction
Sep 4, 2006

Alex_OA posted:

Serious? It just comes across like he acted cocky or whatnot backstage so they give him all these goofy rear end angles. Fair play to him if its all his idea though.

Although if I remember correctly he was brought up through OVW(or was it FCW?) and Jim Cornette basically wanted to kill him.

El Duke Silver
Aug 15, 2008

Although if I remember correctly he was brought up through OVW(or was it FCW?) and Jim Cornette basically wanted to kill him.

He kept corpsing during bits and Cornette ended up slapping him something like ten times in a row once after he'd been repeatedly told to work on it.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

El Duke posted:

He kept corpsing during bits and Cornette ended up slapping him something like ten times in a row once after he'd been repeatedly told to work on it.

They had the Boogeyman make a surprise appearance (also his professional debut) in OVW and...just watch the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26uu4-0kxjA

ncumbered_by_idgits
Sep 20, 2008

Alex_OA posted:

I thought I read somewhere (likely WH2K) that the comedy heel thing started out as his idea.

Sugar Blaster
Dec 15, 2004

All ears, all eyes, all the time!
He's also not a very good wrestler, so this comedy stuff is probably the best way to use him.

Hirams Bitch
Oct 24, 2008

Sugar Blaster posted:

He's also not a very good wrestler, so this comedy stuff is probably the best way to use him.

He's improved a lot though. He's clearly pretty athletic. It's hard to judge how good he actually is though without him being in a non-comedy match.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Pneub posted:

Ouch. I guess it was good that I was WCW at the time.

Haha. Probably not since this is the same time WCW came up with the brilliant idea Dennis Rodman and Karl Malone in PPV main events.

Picking WCW over WWF then would be like picking TNA over WWE now.

Save Russian Jews
Jun 7, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Super Ninja Fish posted:

Haha. Probably not since this is the same time WCW came up with the brilliant idea Dennis Rodman and Karl Malone in PPV main events.

First half, right.

Second half, wrong.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Super Ninja Fish posted:

A brilliant idea that resulted in one of the biggest buyrates of all time. So yes, it was brilliant on their part.

Save Russian Jews
Jun 7, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

MassRayPer posted:

A brilliant idea that resulted in one of the biggest buyrates of all time. So yes, it was brilliant on their part.

but what about what it has done to our sportttttt?!!!

No really, it made a ton of money and gave us a gif of Karl Malone and DDP spinning around pointing. It owned.

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

i love it when you call me big poppa

Alex_OA posted:

From all accounts, Santino's best friends are Randy Orton and John Cena, and routinely when someone asks a WWE wrestler who the funniest guy in the lockerroom is, they say Santino. He may actually be one of the most liked guys in the company.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Super Ninja Fish posted:

I know two other people already said something but there was a reason WCW won the ratings war when they did. It wasn't all poo poo. I mean there was some poo poo but there was a ton of good stuff. Just because WWF survived and you are a fanboy now doesn't mean everything back then was terrible.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

CSammich posted:

He's improved a lot though. He's clearly pretty athletic. It's hard to judge how good he actually is though without him being in a non-comedy match.

It's sort of a self-fulfilling prophecy. He's not that good, so keep him in short comedy squashes. Which means he only gets good at that. So you can't give him a TV match which is serious. And so he doesn't get house show matches which are serious to improve in. So he sucks and you can only use him for comedy squashes...

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
Santino pulls out a brand new cool spot in like every single match that goes longer than a minute.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
JON GETS STABBED TO DEATH
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON
Everyone marked out for the cobra at the royal rumble. Santino rules

Plus poo poo like this too http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_Pt5Zo4ycE