Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

Mr. Carlisle posted:

Are training breaks and fractures common when doing conditioning like this? You always hear about guys being pulled out of fights from a 'training injury' and I've always wondered if there were more common ones that happen in training.

That I can't tell you, I've never trained kicking so I have no personal experience. However I doubt it. Injuries in training are usually muscle pulls/tears and tendon damage as far as I'm aware.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1

Mr. Carlisle posted:

Thanks! I had no idea bone tissue actually did increase density like that. I knew fractures and breaks obviously healed back together but I had no idea bones could be conditioned to absorb more damage over time.

Are training breaks and fractures common when doing conditioning like this? You always hear about guys being pulled out of fights from a 'training injury' and I've always wondered if there were more common ones that happen in training.

One of the quotes you'll hear from a lot of fighters regarding injuries will be that nobody comes into a fight at 100%. Basically, practically anyone who is training hard enough to fight at the highest levels of the sport is going to get injured during training, and it's managing those injuries and working through them that is part of your whole training process. Obviously you want to minimize them, and sometimes you can't do anything about it and you have to call off your fight.

Sometimes you do something stupid like full contact sparring hours before your fight, get cut on your face in the dressing room, and the doctors won't clear you to fight. :)

JamMaster Flash
Dec 3, 2003

I have made a thread:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3388521

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Maybe this is the right place to through it out there -- there's a lot of Brazilians in MMA, and in Portuguese, an initial R is pronounced as an H, so Royce Gracie is "Hoyce." In other positions, it's just an R.

An initial H is silent, same as Spanish, and initial J isn't an H, but normal J like Jack.

Oh, and the equivalent of ñ is nh. There's diminuitive -inho that works like -ito in Spanish. It shows up in quite a few nicknames for Brazilian fighters.

MysteryNad
Dec 5, 2003

Here in my guard
I feel safest of all
I can lock up my guard
It's the only way to fight
In guard
From what I know about Romance Languages, the whole initial R as an H thing is confined to Brazilian Portuguese and only to specific regions of Brazil. Most Brazilian fighters come from the southern Rio/Sao Paolo/Curitiba area where this pronunciation is correct.

Also, the Gracie family likely had a big impact on how Brazilian names are pronounced in English because they intentionally gave so many of their kids strange names that start with R's pronounced H's. Hence, ending up with early MMA announcers stumbling trying to mispronounce names like Carlos Bahheto(Carlos Barreto).

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009
NO ONE SPOIL GAME OF THRONES FOR ME!

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)
As far as I know a "R" ("Royce") starting the word or two Rs in a row ("Barreto") are pronounced like H everywhere on Brazil, not just São Paulo/Rio/Curitiba/whatever.

The other informations are correct.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

A Pale Horse posted:

That I can't tell you, I've never trained kicking so I have no personal experience. However I doubt it. Injuries in training are usually muscle pulls/tears and tendon damage as far as I'm aware.

Most of the time we wear pads, like long soft shin guards that soften everything. We did some shin kicking from time to time.

Traditionally Thai boxers will kick and elbow tree trunks to build up their shin bones. It hurts a little when you're starting out, but as long as your sensible nothing should break.

The thing with bones is like anything rigid, at some angles they're strong as concrete, at others... not so much.

Gomi Pile
Jan 19, 2011

by Ozmaugh
can someone please edit the genki sudo picture so that it says "we are all id=one" thank you

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

BlindSite posted:

Traditionally Thai boxers will kick and elbow tree trunks to build up their shin bones.

This is a little misleading. Extremely poor Thai camps (when necessary) use banana trees, which are more like a thick stem than an actual trunk; they're not like kicking solid wood. And the very first thing a camp buys when it gets some fighter purse money is generally a bag and pads.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

fatherdog posted:

This is a little misleading. Extremely poor Thai camps (when necessary) use banana trees, which are more like a thick stem than an actual trunk; they're not like kicking solid wood. And the very first thing a camp buys when it gets some fighter purse money is generally a bag and pads.

I should probably have qualified it by saying that kicking trees of softer wood was their "traditional" method, and I have seen it done when I was in thailand. But yes, you're right, kicking a heavy bag or each other in pads will have the same overall effect.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
If you want to see an extreme example of bones changing, try to find a picture of an MLB pitcher's arms side by side. Their throwing arm's wrist bone is noticeably thicker.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Why are heavyweight boxers such a big deal while heavyweight MMA fighters are The Worst?

Mons Public
Jun 22, 2006

Sometimes I look for Rupees.

Jack of Hearts posted:

Why are heavyweight boxers such a big deal while heavyweight MMA fighters are The Worst?

clearly you don't watch boxing

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002

Jack of Hearts posted:

teach me your time travelling secrets, i have a lot of gambling to do

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Yeah, I meant historically.

e: Although actually the question sort of applies to K-1 kickboxing as well. How come other sports get awesome big dudes?

Tacky-Ass Rococco fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Feb 12, 2011

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Jack of Hearts posted:

MMA didn't exist historically. The heavyweight division sucks in both sports right now because both sports are centered in American, and in America basketball and football are such incredible money machines they suck up most guys that big with athletic talent.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Jack of Hearts posted:

e: Although actually the question sort of applies to K-1 kickboxing as well. How come other sports get awesome big dudes?

Holland doesn't have football and basketball sucking up all the talented big guys, is why.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

fatherdog posted:

MMA didn't exist historically. The heavyweight division sucks in both sports right now because both sports are centered in American, and in America basketball and football are such incredible money machines they suck up most guys that big with athletic talent.

With the financial strain on many wrestling programs I wonder if this is only going to improve at all, even with the explosion of MMA.

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
Also the Dutch are statistically the tallest people on Earth

Ho Chi Meeeeee
Jun 13, 2008

let me shovel out your brains
hang my image in your skull
so I can be the vision
in your nightmares from now on

fatherdog posted:

Holland doesn't have football and basketball sucking up all the talented big guys, is why.

:stare:
American football, sure, but holy poo poo you are wrong about basketball, basketball is solidly about the number 2/3 most popular sport in the world and has a moderate, growing following in europe (with Spain/Italy/Greece being the biggest watchers of NBA or Euroleague) lest you also forget the other sports in Holland that are popular such as rugby union, cricket, volleyball, cycling etc.

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
Yeah but those sports suck.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
Cricket isn't popular in Holland, or if it is then they have the sorriest excuse for a national side imaginable.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Neurosis posted:

Cricket isn't popular in Holland, or if it is then they have the sorriest excuse for a national side imaginable.

They do have a side and yes they suck. Massively suck

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

Oh Em Gee posted:

:stare:
American football, sure, but holy poo poo you are wrong about basketball, basketball is solidly about the number 2/3 most popular sport in the world and has a moderate, growing following in europe (with Spain/Italy/Greece being the biggest watchers of NBA or Euroleague) lest you also forget the other sports in Holland that are popular such as rugby union, cricket, volleyball, cycling etc.

Popularity with spectators doesn't necessarily mean it's the same as the ridiculously massive high school/college sports scenes over here which vacuum up a big percentage of tall people with any drive to compete athletically.

K8.0 fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Feb 12, 2011

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Other than the YAMMA pit, what are some other non-standard MMA locations? I remember seeing I think Muay Thai in like a 3'x30' cage.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

projecthalaxy posted:

Other than the YAMMA pit, what are some other non-standard MMA locations? I remember seeing I think Muay Thai in like a 3'x30' cage.

Nick Diaz once fought in an 8 sided ring: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3ULJa3ylek

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
I remember something about a platform swimming in water with no walls and you could fall down, I think they use that in san shou but i kind of remember some russian b-league also having something similar.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

niethan posted:

I remember something about a platform swimming in water with no walls and you could fall down, I think they use that in san shou but i kind of remember some russian b-league also having something similar.

You sure you arn't thinking of Soul Calibur?

Mons Public
Jun 22, 2006

Sometimes I look for Rupees.
I remember there was this one tournament on a rope bridge above some spikes and when the guy got KOed he was uppercutted down to the spikes and the winner got bonus points.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

niethan posted:

I believe you're thinking of the M-1 event where the ring was on a pontoon moored to a ship, where the audience watched from yachts circling the pontoon. Aleks and Gayhard both fought.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Someone post XARM.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Halloween Jack posted:

I believe you're thinking of the M-1 event where the ring was on a pontoon moored to a ship, where the audience watched from yachts circling the pontoon. Aleks and Gayhard both fought.

There's also the leitai. It's a traditional fighting in Chinese combat sports. It's gravy when you do it out in the water:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mpviclkMdfc
You may remember this platform gimmick from any number of Jet Li movies.

Flying-Chip
May 2, 2004

XARM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oAAJ2GUzWz8&playnext=1&list=PLEA5687DAA38E2220

platero
Sep 11, 2001

spooky, but polite, a-hole

Pillbug

kensei posted:

Someone post XARM.

Speaking of XARM, does anyone have any working links to Shock Fights? I need video evidence of people with stunguns taped to their hands fighting.

fawker
Feb 1, 2008

ARMBAR!
The only one I know of is on MiddleEasy
http://middleeasy.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=3019&Itemid=107

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Just read a bit of the most recent Strikeforce thread trying to get the swing of things and I see alot of people celebrating Fedor being dealt another loss - is there a reason that he seems pretty hated here?

I've seen a ton of things in the past (on other sites lists and videos and whatnot) saying he was more or less unbeatable until his first real loss. Have people turned against him now that he's lost two in a row or has he largely been seen as overrated by PSP regulars?

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

Mr. Carlisle posted:

Just read a bit of the most recent Strikeforce thread trying to get the swing of things and I see alot of people celebrating Fedor being dealt another loss - is there a reason that he seems pretty hated here?

I've seen a ton of things in the past saying he was more or less unbeatable until his first real loss. Have people turned against him now that he's lost two in a row or has he largely been seen as overrated by PSP regulars?

He's definitely been seen as overrated, even back when he was good.

He basically fought one other great fighter, Nogueira, who was injured badly the first match, the second match an 'accidental' headbutt resulted in a cut on Fedor's head and stopped the match, and in the third fight fedor kept it standing with all his might and took a decision. Fedor's next biggest scalp is Cro Cop (who fedor ducked for well over a year), but he was really pretty much only seen as a great fighter because PRIDE was full of brawlers who Cro cop was able to KO pretty easily.

additionally, Big Nogueira beat everybody good fedor did before fedor did, and in several cases, Fedor used the same submission Nogueira had used to beat the guy (Coleman + Tim Sylvia off the top of my head). PRIDE used Nogueira to screen opponents for Fedor, including Ricco Rodriguez (who was a big HW with a great top game who could've given Fedor problems just like he had tonight) and Cro Cop. And also, Frank Mir beat everyone Fedor beat (including cro cop and nogueira), and by a wider margin, although neither of those guys was in their prime

And counter to "hes getting old" bullshit, Fedor got styled on by Arona just as bad as Bigfoot, only Arona wasn't allowed to throw strikes from the mount and some REALLY lovely guillotine attempts from Fedor won him that match because RINGS was retarded. Coleman got fedor's back, and he hasn't got any Jiu jitsu chops at all. Fedor's always had serious holes in his grappling game whether people want to acknowledge it or not

Bundt Cake fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Feb 13, 2011

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
He was an all right fighter who fought a lot of cans handpicked by his management, making it really easy to amass large unbeaten streak like his. The main problem is his fans are retarded and continue to think he's the best fighter ever when his record is mostly filled with crap fighters.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.

Mr. Carlisle posted:

I've seen a ton of things in the past (on other sites lists and videos and whatnot) saying he was more or less unbeatable until his first real loss. Have people turned against him now that he's lost two in a row or has he largely been seen as overrated by PSP regulars?
people like myself don't hate fedor himself, just his rabid fans and especially his awful management team M-1 Global (that he owns a huge stake of so gently caress fedor a little bit for that anyways).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.

Bubba Smith posted:

Antonio "Bigfoot" Silva, the only man to KO Fedor

also gently caress I was so close