Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.
At the track racing now... won my first heat and got second the next :smug:

Can't wait for the main!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

poo poo, startin out on top!

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

Phat_Albert posted:

poo poo, startin out on top!

Not only did I start out on top, I won the main too! :hellyeah:

KING OF SLOW PEOPLE WOOHOO! They suggested I don't do novice again though :(. There's a big gap between my times and the other classes though. However, I did make huge improvements in practice after all the races were over... can't wait to go back! They have more races on Saturday, might do those. Or be unamerican and do the next practice day this sunday while the rest of the country watches the superbowl. Shouldn't be too crowded then.

Just ordered some lipo batteries...

SGT. Squeaks
Jun 18, 2003

Two men enter, one man leaves. That is the way of the hobotorium!
Awesome man! Now the addiction starts.

I just barely finished putting together my SC10 for this race season. Running a Tekin RS ESC, 19T Komodo Dragon Pro, Futaba 3PM, and some airtronics servo out of my 1/8th Inferno GT that I sold yesterday. I also got my new body. A j-concepts raptor. Be painting that up next week.

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.
NN

SGT. Squeaks posted:

Awesome man! Now the addiction starts.

I just barely finished putting together my SC10 for this race season. Running a Tekin RS ESC, 19T Komodo Dragon Pro, Futaba 3PM, and some airtronics servo out of my 1/8th Inferno GT that I sold yesterday. I also got my new body. A j-concepts raptor. Be painting that up next week.

Racing mod SCT today and getting topped up, heh. Knew it would happen but going against faster people makes YOU faster. Been during pretty consistent (but slow) laps, not crashing much.

I picked up a STRC low CG kit for my slash yesterday and installed it. What a pita. It was jot designed for the 4wd bellcrank that the vxl has, so I had to dremel the gently caress out of the body pan. Definitely dropa the weight down. I can tell it corners flatter. But... my Goddamn rear shocks blew out already so its obviously not handing like it should :saddowns:. Probably going to get some big note replacement shocks tomorrow....and maybe a SC10

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Well, I spent a full 6 hours yesterday running practice at the new track at S+N Trackside in Milwaukee with my 4x4 Slash. I've got it dialed pretty good, and I was far from the slowest guy on the track, but I'm still driving it like I drove my Stampede, which is basically steering with the rear wheels. It looks cool to see a Slash drifting around the whole track, but its far from the fastest way around the track.

I need to figure out how to get the front end to grip better, so it stops pushing, and I'm less inclined to steer via over-steer. I'm going to start by loosening up the front swaybar, and we'll see how that goes.

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

Phat_Albert posted:

Well, I spent a full 6 hours yesterday running practice at the new track at S+N Trackside in Milwaukee with my 4x4 Slash. I've got it dialed pretty good, and I was far from the slowest guy on the track, but I'm still driving it like I drove my Stampede, which is basically steering with the rear wheels. It looks cool to see a Slash drifting around the whole track, but its far from the fastest way around the track.

I need to figure out how to get the front end to grip better, so it stops pushing, and I'm less inclined to steer via over-steer. I'm going to start by loosening up the front swaybar, and we'll see how that goes.

What tires are you running? I found the stock tires to suck rear end. Ended up going with some Jconcepts Subcultures, which isn't a great matchup for this very hardpacked indoor track but works way better than the stockers. Just about everyone there is running Barcodes.

Made some serious improvements at today's practice session. Much better at judging speeds needed, corning MUCH faster, taking better lines. Just feeling much more in control in general.

Also, it must have been fate. Picked up a used SC10 with factory team shocks on it for a great price :). I will say though, the servo on the SC10 is MUCH slower than the slash's unit. Just seems slower to react, but it also seems there is more steering lock available.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

Alright guys, I have a possibly stupid question for you. I know the Revos have a failsafe where if for whatever reason they lose signal, they won't just go tearing off at full throttle into the nearest solid object. What i'm wondering is, what happens when this failsafe kicks in? Would it cause my Revo to, say, suddenly roll to a stop and go WOT?

The reason I ask is, I haven't run it in months, ever since that incident. My friend thinks maybe i should charge the receiver, put some fuel in it, and try to start it and see if it responds and goes anywhere. I'm, however, afraid to so much as start it because i don't want it firing up and immediately going WOT and exploding the motor into tiny shards of flying metal bits.

I'm mostly trying to figure out what happened to it the night that happened and whether or not my transmission is busted, my clutch is shot, that was the failsafe, or something else. Has anyone had something like that happen before, or does it sound at all familiar?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

needknees posted:

What tires are you running? I found the stock tires to suck rear end. Ended up going with some Jconcepts Subcultures, which isn't a great matchup for this very hardpacked indoor track but works way better than the stockers. Just about everyone there is running Barcodes.

The stockers do suck rear end, I'm running Pro-Line Caliber M2's.

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.
I really need to stay the gently caress away from the LHS. I wanted a faster/torquier servo for the SC10 I just got (the stock one is weak as hell, <25oz in, .15sec). I did some research and the Savox servos seemed well regarded and reasonably priced. The shop had them for the same price as online so I figured what the hell. Ended up with this one: http://www.savoxusa.com/Savox_SC1258TG_Digital_Servo_p/savsc1258tg.htm

It might be a handful with the crappy transmitter that comes with the RTR SC10... so, I'm looking at halfway decent TXs. Any thoughts on what to look at in a moderately priced TX? I'm thinking about the Spektrum DX2S . Seems like it would work pretty well for what I want. Telemetry would be nice, and the extra adjustments a nicer radio has would also come in handy... that new servo might be a bit much without it.

What other ones should I consider?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Airtroncs MX-3X. Guy I race with just got one and its a nice radio.

wav3form
Aug 10, 2008
I like the higher end Airtronics and I just sold my M8 backlight version on Ebay that I had forever but it's still one of the best radios. KO Propo is another favorite of mine.

SGT. Squeaks
Jun 18, 2003

Can't go wrong with the airtronics, I personally run a Futaba 3-PM. Been running futaba since the beginning and love the way they feel. I'm not a big fan of the DX2S. It feels very plasticy. Besides, I'd get something with 3 channels. If you ever race something like 1/8 nitro or electric with mechanical brakes you'll need 2 servos, a battery, and a transponder.

SGT. Squeaks fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Feb 8, 2011

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

SGT. Squeaks posted:

Can't go wrong with the airtronics, I personally run a Futaba 3-PM. Been running futaba since the beginning and love the way they feel. I'm not a big fan of the DX2S. It feels very plasticy. Besides, I'd get something with 3 channels. If you ever race something like 1/8 nitro or electric with mechanical brakes you'll need 2 servos, a battery, and a transponder.

Good point. I don't know if I would ever utilize it but it doesn't make much sense to drop a bunch of money on a transmitter just possibly need another one down the road.

I'll have to go fondle some radios today. I played with a lower end futaba yesterday and even at that pricepoint it felt pretty good. Would it be worth the extra $ to jump from the 3-PM to the 4PL? Even though I'm not to the point where it would matter all the telemetry data would be nice to have. The more (semi) useless information the better!

SGT. Squeaks
Jun 18, 2003

I dunno man, guess it depends on how much you use that stuff. I find that I never set stuff like that up. I just turn it on, adjust endpoints, and drive. I never mess around with any fancy features. But some people depend on that stuff.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

If you want an Airtronics MX-3 FHSS in great shape, I know a certain forum member that's selling one for a song in SA-Mart
:v:

Hypnolobster fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Feb 11, 2011

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

its a bit old now but speedhunters did a tour of the HPI office in the US. Some nice pictures in there.

Playing with my Takara/Tomy Drift package cars is a blast. I dropped in some modified Tamiya 4WD motors and now they run a lot better on carpet or smooth concrete.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Ugh, so there is a "that guy" at my local track. The guy who drives some crazy exotic buggy that's so fragile it must be made of paper mache, and he yells at everyone on the track because he's the only one on earth who can drive even half decently. Of course he hates all the short course trucks running on the track, despite the fact that short course is whats keeping the lights on, not whatever he's running.

He also brings the added advantage of his young son who comes along and drives his own ridiculous buggy. So that guy stands out on the track like he's marshaling when his son runs, except he doesn't marshal, he just barks commands at his son and yells at everyone else to stay away, and if you flip your car near him, he doesn't do poo poo about it.

gently caress you, that guy, you'll be the one who drives everyone away and helps pound another nail into the coffin of mainstream RC popularity.

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Feb 13, 2011

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Drive your SC truck into his foot. If he steps on it, tell him he can buy another one for you. That's the temptation, anyway...not great for the hobby or the track/shop owner...ugh, I hate the 'soccer dad' and the mentality.

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

Phat_Albert posted:

Ugh, so there is a "that guy" at my local track.

Yeah, the races at our LHS had that guy at our last race. He's probably in his 60s, and was running SC and 13.5 TC. None of the short coursers out there run anything more powerful than a 17.5, but he was running a 13.5. The advantage he had over everyone else was ridiculous, but he was still griping and grumbling any time something didn't go his way. I was holding 2nd with him with my stock Strike with the tired stock 12 turn, and was about 2 laps down from him. If he got bumped or hung up on a corner, he'd throw a fit. His attitude was totally toxic and it would usually cause an awkward silence for a minute or so, when the night was otherwise really lighthearted and fun.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

I've had to deal with people cheating in classes (either running underweight or incorrect motor) or being abusive, either to other racers or their children. I hate it when a father gets stuck into his son about the kid's racing skills, especially if the kid is very young

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

Hypnolobster posted:

If you want an Airtronics MX-3 FHSS in great shape, I know a certain forum member that's selling one for a song in SA-Mart
:v:

Thanks for the offer but I ended up snagging one for a song... along with another goddamn r/c car :argh:

Picked up a used Associated B4 last night. It's pretty goddamn silly. Dude had been out of racing for awhile and didn't remember what motor he had in there other than it was a LRP X11. I looked things over, decided it was a reasonable deal, and took it home :). Came with a MX-3 FHSS and a whole pile of wheels/tires and spares, including an extra motor. Since the guy couldn't remember what motor was in there I couldn't help myself. I threw a deans plug on there and got it running.

Holy. loving. poo poo.

The tires that were on there were not glued well, or over the years the glue had degraded, and one of them basically exploded when I blipped the throttle. I messed around with it for a few minutes and was totally blown away with how violently fast the thing was. I ripped the motor out and to my surprise it was a goddamn X11 6.5t motor. No loving wonder.

I threw the 13.5t reedy motor that came with my sc10 in there. Going to give it a proper flogging tomorrow... can't freakin wait!

SGT. Squeaks
Jun 18, 2003

YES!! Christmas came early(Or late, didn't get myself anything)! Can't wait to get it together and on the track. I've only ran 1/8th nitro, so I'm interested to see how this electric compares. From what I hear, quiet good.

SGT. Squeaks fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Feb 16, 2011

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

SGT. Squeaks posted:

YES!! Christmas came early(Or late, didn't get myself anything)! Can't wait to get it together and on the track. I've only ran 1/8th nitro, so I'm interested to see how this electric compares. From what I hear, quiet good.

ooooooooooooo. appropriate file name too!

Last night was my first time at the track with the new (to me) buggy and it went ok. Only broke one part! Of course it was within like the first 5 minutes of being at the track, but they had spares available. I'm thinking the plastic was just old and slightly brittle or something, because I barely touched the wall and snapped a front caster block. Made it the rest of the night with no issues though.

Holy hell is that thing a handful to drive compared to the SC10. I think a big part of it is you can get more aggressive with line choice with the truck, because if you happen to touch the wall or a pipe you're not going to explode some part on the drat thing. I was just potting around the track, really focusing on staying clean with the buggy. Even then, my "slow" laps with the buggy were on par with my best laps with the truck. At this point it's just getting comfortable with the responsiveness of the buggy... man was it fun!

needknees fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Feb 16, 2011

TDD_Shizzy
Feb 26, 2004

Had this itch yesterday to sell my nitro stuff and switch to electric. There just doesnt seem to be much sense to keep nitro now with all the new electric tech. Cant wait to get an electric to start playing with again.

Looking at getting a VXL Rustler (used of course, something to start with). As soon as i pick it up from the guy this afternoon I will be ordering a Turnigy 6 charger and a couple 5000mah lipos.

Question: The one im buying has a 27mhz radio still, if I wanted to upgrade to 2.4ghz and stay pretty entry level, what would you all suggest? (model memory might be nice, since rc cars are like crack and I just cant have 1)

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The cheapest way is probably the Traxxas 2.4G Link controller. iirc it has 10 model memory.

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
I bet you could find a NIB Traxxas 2.4Ghz radio on eBay for pretty cheap. What with those RTR unboxers and all.

So, I've been talking on IM with needknees lately, and it's hard not to go drop one of those new Tekin short course motors and an RS in my Slash 4x4. Right now I've got a Novak 13.5 and a Sphere TC in it. Anyone got experience with the longer can motors. More importantly, how much power should I drop in my 4x4? I think the 6.5t is probably more than enough.

TDD_Shizzy
Feb 26, 2004

Phat_Albert posted:

The cheapest way is probably the Traxxas 2.4G Link controller. iirc it has 10 model memory.

Thanks, that looks like its a pretty good option. I'll keep an eye out on ebay, unless anyone here has the itch to upgrade from their Link system to something else?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

TDD_Shizzy posted:

Thanks, that looks like its a pretty good option. I'll keep an eye out on ebay, unless anyone here has the itch to upgrade from their Link system to something else?

I just bought a used Link tx and rx for $20, so the deals are out there.

SGT. Squeaks
Jun 18, 2003

kuffs posted:

So, I've been talking on IM with needknees lately, and it's hard not to go drop one of those new Tekin short course motors and an RS in my Slash 4x4. Right now I've got a Novak 13.5 and a Sphere TC in it. Anyone got experience with the longer can motors. More importantly, how much power should I drop in my 4x4? I think the 6.5t is probably more than enough.

Hell yes! That would be an awesome combo. I haven't ran the Tekin Short course motors, but the RS is the coolest ESC ever. I put an RS with an Epic D3 17.5T (ROAR Class) in my SC10 last week and it screamed. Hook that thing up with the hotwire and it's incredible. I was able to tune the crap out of that thing and make the motor behaves the exact way I wanted. Big part of the reason I went with the Rx8 in my buggy.

TDD_Shizzy
Feb 26, 2004

Phat_Albert posted:

I just bought a used Link tx and rx for $20, so the deals are out there.

Yea, just picked a brand new link system and an extra receive for $50.

If I were to get the girl a mini of some sort, would the Losi Mini-t (1/18th) be the best bet? Or is there a kit out there better, if we dont need radio gear?

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
Welp, needknees did it. I ordered a new RS Pro, SC4X 6.5T, and 4 new battery packs to replace the semi-bulgy ones I had.

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

kuffs posted:

Welp, needknees did it. I ordered a new RS Pro, SC4X 6.5T, and 4 new battery packs to replace the semi-bulgy ones I had.

I am a terrible influence :haw:

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

I bought a Venom GPV-1 bike a week ago and have been tinkering with it to get it to actually handle correctly. It's all dialed in and feels really good now...too bad it's fated to just parking lot runs because nobody owns, let alone races, r/c bikes around here. Apparently I'm on the wrong side of the pond for r/c bike racing, and I'm not really a car/truck guy.

It is pretty hilarious getting off my real bike and pulling the r/c bike out of my backpack.

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

FuzzyWuzzyBear posted:

I bought a Venom GPV-1 bike a week ago and have been tinkering with it to get it to actually handle correctly. It's all dialed in and feels really good now...too bad it's fated to just parking lot runs because nobody owns, let alone races, r/c bikes around here. Apparently I'm on the wrong side of the pond for r/c bike racing, and I'm not really a car/truck guy.

It is pretty hilarious getting off my real bike and pulling the r/c bike out of my backpack.

Get a short course truck and hit an offroad track!

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

FuzzyWuzzyBear posted:

Don't sweat it, bikes in the UK are pretty much all 1/5th scale, so the GPV-1 is lost in the shuffle here too. I think when it came out there were a few guys running in the national series, but it's tapered off a lot since. I've still got mine (never raced it though) and just got a Mamba Micro system to go into it, which should perk it up a LOT, which of course leads to the front brake option and maybe other things.

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

needknees posted:

Get a short course truck and hit an offroad track!

We should do a trackday and then bust them out in the pits.

krushgroove posted:

which of course leads to the front brake option and maybe other things

I did the front brake upgrade, and my god is that a fiddly install. Took me about 4-5 hours and you better do it over a pure white table or you will lose various bits.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

I bought my first non-toy RC car today, a Tamiya TT-01D with an RX7 body, as seen below.

I played with it for about five minutes this afternoon and already broke the shell. This thing feels like it will be a lot of fun once I learn to drive it.

iqarus
Mar 31, 2008

open24hours posted:

I bought my first non-toy RC car today, a Tamiya TT-01D with an RX7 body, as seen below.

I played with it for about five minutes this afternoon and already broke the shell. This thing feels like it will be a lot of fun once I learn to drive it.

i came in here looking for info on drift R/C's. that tamiya is designed for drift right ?

they seem decently priced in comparison to some of the other "high end" brands.

whats the quality like, do they have a brushed motor ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Although I have nothing to compare it to, the whole thing seems pretty flimsy. I guess I'll have to wait and see how well it holds up.

This is the motor it uses http://www.tamiyausa.com/product/item.php?product-id=53068