Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

I really dig it, but I didn't care as much about "Bad Romance" until the video came out and I'm guessing it's the same with this track.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Born This Way is like if Fancy was narrated by a tranny.

oswald ownenstein
Jan 30, 2011

KING FAGGOT OF THE SHITPOST KINGDOM

miss_chaos posted:

Are you making GBS threads me? Lady Gaga could fart, release it, and it would go straight to number one. Ryan Seacrest's station was playing it every hour on the hour all weekend. They announced they would be.

This one wasn't what I was expecting, but I listened to it a few times and I really enjoyed it. It is a kickback to dance-pop Gaga rather than weird Alejandro/meat dress Gaga which - while everyone loved it - became Gaga's schtick. It's not Bad Romance, but I really enjoyed and have been playing the hell out of it.

I don't know if you could call this new song a kickback to Gaga anything because it certainly isn't anything like the earlier hits.

Also, the more I think about it, the more it seems like pure pandering.

Hef Deezy
Jun 11, 2006

Show no fear. Show no emotion at all.

^burtle posted:

This is spot on. Love it.

The track veers from sort of cheesy to awesomely anthemic for me. I'm trying to disregard other opinions and make up my own, but there's *lots* of opinions for this one, so it's difficult. I'm pretty sure I enjoy it -- though I admit I loved Bad Romance and Telephone a lot more on first listen.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

^burtle posted:

Hef Deezy posted:

This is spot on. Love it.
Do you want to elaborate on this? I think it's an interesting concept for an interpretation, but I honestly can't see how it fits beyond the first verse.

MINT WIZARD
Apr 25, 2007

This isn't going to stop until Pictionary bans the word windmill.
Are there any gay people who really liked this song? I'm bisexual and I thought it was ok at best. I still assume the album is going to kick rear end, but if this isn't the worst song on the album I'm gonna be a little disappointed.

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

I'm gay and I think it's great but I think that's a really dumb question.

MINT WIZARD
Apr 25, 2007

This isn't going to stop until Pictionary bans the word windmill.
It is a stupid question, trust me I know, but I asked it in response to pandering being brought up, which bugged me.

drainpipe
May 17, 2004

AAHHHHHHH!!!!
Eh, put me down for another underwhelmed listener. For me, it's definitely missing that dark edge others have mentioned. Definitely like her with RedOne. I'll give her points for trying something new, but it just didn't jive with me. Oh well, can't win them all.

realqueenbetty
Nov 2, 2005

And then swing your swift sword, sister
Swing your swift sword now
Swing your swift sword, sister, sister
Swing your swift sword now
Sorry, Gaga, love you, but on to the next one.

THNDRTHF
Apr 14, 2004

so much for
bein' optimistic
Lady Gaga hasn't done poo poo since passing out after a cocaine binge.

Ashmole
Oct 5, 2008

This wish was granted by Former DILF
I like "Scheiβe", so maybe this song is just the odd one out.

N3RDSTER
Mar 27, 2010
Agreed, I really liked that remix, and I just hope the full song is as good. It's also the first "extended remix" (i.e. remix longer than 4/5 minutes) that I've actually been able to get all the way through without getting bored half way through.

That, and a pop star singing in German is certainly something different. A good something different.

A Fistful of Owls
Sep 2, 2006

I remember the day you followed me home.
Does anybody know if the CD is going to be awkwardly censored like the Fame Monster was? I'm tempted to get the deluxe edition but I'd prefer to not buy it if they're going to be edited tracks.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Yeah it's a bit too 'bright' for me. I like Gaga's darker sound. I don't think this is bad, but it's not what I was really hyped up for, I guess. I mean, I should have expected it to sound like this, but eh.

Action Man
Jan 31, 2007

Ok, so it's not Bad Romance, but I don't think it's realistic to expect that. Yeah, it was hyped into oblivion, but I feel like we can give the woman a break at this point. Maybe there'll only be 1 or 2 number one singles on this album :ohdear:
That being said I think it's a great track and I've been playing the hell out of it for the past two days due to its awesomeness. I'm not the least bit disappointed. It's a catchy dance track about being comfortable with yourself and it does a good job at being that.

:bigtran::hf::ese:

Obligatory Toast
Mar 19, 2007

What am I reading here??
"Born this Way" is just too close to "Express Yourself" by Madonna for comfort, I think.

Mediant
Dec 23, 2010

In Brightest Day...
In Dankest Night...
Well, I couldn't see if these were posted anywhere so:
http://necolebitchie.com/2011/02/04/lady-gaga-x-supreme-in-purple-magazine/

Ashmole
Oct 5, 2008

Mediant posted:

Well, I couldn't see if these were posted anywhere so:
http://necolebitchie.com/2011/02/04/lady-gaga-x-supreme-in-purple-magazine/

So there's a Perez Hilton and a Necole Bitchie...

inaniloquent
Apr 7, 2007

Je suis génie.
Haters gonna hate, the single is number one on iTunes in every country.

http://www.apple.com/euro/itunes/charts/top10songs.html

Myself, I don't know if I'm in love with this one, but I honestly don't have a problem with her singing about something besides a man or the club. It may be cheesy as gently caress, but it's pop music for chrissakes. I'm very interested in the rumors about Madonna rereleasing "Express Yourself" with how similar "Born This Way" is. Does anyone have a good lead on that?

Obligatory Toast
Mar 19, 2007

What am I reading here??

inaniloquent posted:

Haters gonna hate, the single is number one on iTunes in every country.

http://www.apple.com/euro/itunes/charts/top10songs.html

Myself, I don't know if I'm in love with this one, but I honestly don't have a problem with her singing about something besides a man or the club. It may be cheesy as gently caress, but it's pop music for chrissakes. I'm very interested in the rumors about Madonna rereleasing "Express Yourself" with how similar "Born This Way" is. Does anyone have a good lead on that?
No idea, but someone did a kind of subpar comparison video, so you get the idea: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5eKAVVe1rXQ

inaniloquent
Apr 7, 2007

Je suis génie.
No, I definitely agree that they have similarities. Then again, "Express Yourself" sounds a bit like Staple Singers' "Respect Yourself" so people decrying the unoriginality really need to put things into perspective.

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!
http://bit.ly/dW4dPQ I made a YouTube Doubler of both songs, just for the heck of it.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I don't think a dark sound would have fit with the lyrics. As was said in this thread, they were very preachy lyrics, about a topic which is supposed to be happy. Gaga has done dark message with happy tone (Nothing else I can say, eh, eh, eh) but I honestly think if she was going to go for happy message and dark tone, it wouldn't have fit well with this song.

It had to be happy and poppy to fit the message, and it had to be very catchy and poppy to overcome the fact that the lyrics are really preachy.

Frankly it's a balance I don't think any other artist releasing music right now could achieve. And I don't want to hear about Firework or We R Who We R because they're just generic pop songs and don't have the same level of preaching to them.

And I think I'm probably the only person alive right now who doesn't see the comparison to Express Yourself, but I think you can actually more or less do the first verse of Vogue over the first verse of BTW.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

het posted:

Do you want to elaborate on this? I think it's an interesting concept for an interpretation, but I honestly can't see how it fits beyond the first verse.

It really doesn't unless you consider the whole of Fancy to be an overall song about female empowerment, which it really isn't.

Boo This Man
Mar 25, 2008

Not really a fan of the new single. Maybe the album will be better.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

^burtle posted:

It really doesn't unless you consider the whole of Fancy to be an overall song about female empowerment, which it really isn't.
Yeah, I agree. After thinking about it some more I think that interpreting it as being some kind of take (even if unintentional) on Fancy reflects more on the speaker than the song.

Hef Deezy
Jun 11, 2006

Show no fear. Show no emotion at all.

het posted:

Yeah, I agree. After thinking about it some more I think that interpreting it as being some kind of take (even if unintentional) on Fancy reflects more on the speaker than the song.

I personally was only saying "spot on!" to Fancy because of the opening verse and the overall celebratory vibe. I don't think Born This Way was inspired by Fancy or anything. I have just loved Fancy since I was very young, so the idea of a disco tranny version makes me smile.

Edit: And honestly, nothing can beat this duet of Fancy by Reba and Kelly Clarkson, I mean come on: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGIuJGqIa_Q

Hef Deezy fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Feb 13, 2011

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Hef Deezy posted:

Honestly, I personally was only saying "spot on!" to Fancy because of the opening verse and the overall celebratory vibe. I don't think Born This Way was inspired by Fancy or anything. I have loved Fancy since I was very young, so the idea of a disco tranny version makes me smile.
Fair enough, but I think it's sort of weird to jump to interpreting it as specifically transgender there.

FWIW my feelings on the song are that it's catchy enough musically but going out of its way to evoke Express Yourself is a misstep because that's a better song. I think Born This Way is actually more interesting lyrically but the melody doesn't stand out enough to make it seem like more than an homage.

Action Man
Jan 31, 2007

HookShot posted:

I think I'm probably the only person alive right now who doesn't see the comparison to Express Yourself

I'm with you here, I cant' loving hear what everyone's talking about. They sound similar-ish, but not that similar. It's like those magic eye things or something.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

Action Man posted:

I'm with you here, I cant' loving hear what everyone's talking about. They sound similar-ish, but not that similar. It's like those magic eye things or something.

The chorus is where it really kicks in. Same exact chord progression.

FadedReality
Sep 5, 2007

Okurrrr?
Gaga just showed up on the Grammys red carpet in an "incubator". So awesome.

edit: Complete with oxygen mask and tank and a fan.

squeee
Apr 23, 2009

the thrill of the chase.
I, too, was extremely underwhelmed with BTW. All the hype leading up to the song sunk it for me I think. I do hear the Express Yourself similarities and I do sort of get the homage to the 80's sound but, really Gaga? The eurotrance dubsteppy sound makes me think of Britney's newest single which coming from Gaga is a bit of a disappointment.

Hoping the rest of the album is better and that this is just a dud.

Just saw the incubator at the Grammy's after reading the tweet and this looks like it's going to be a good performance.

Neena
May 11, 2007

No male will ever handle my massive CoX!
Wait, I meant boobs! Wait!
FISTS, Shit!
Yep:

She's apparently staying in that thing until her performance.

Trip Larsen
Oct 4, 2006

My great-grandfather started Larsen Pork Products with little more than three pigs and a killing hammer. Today, I'm proud to say, we kill more pigs than pig hepatitis.
that looks like something from an Alien movie

Ashmole
Oct 5, 2008

Sir Crimson posted:

that looks like something from an Alien movie

Lady Gaga is actually a xenomorph.

That would be a cool song/video title...

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I find the Grammys and other award shows to be insufferably boring. There's just something about watching a circlejerk that doesn't appeal to me.

Is there a Gaga itinerary of what times I should be tuning in?

Jetfire
Apr 29, 2008
Raw footage of her appearance. Sorry it's kind of shaky.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Jetfire posted:

Raw footage of her appearance. Sorry it's kind of shaky.

This is like some sort of viral marketing for some found footage alien film :psyduck: I love it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Obligatory Toast
Mar 19, 2007

What am I reading here??

Neena posted:

Yep:

She's apparently staying in that thing until her performance.

So she's a raptor now, awesome.

• Locked thread