Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

StickySweater posted:

Yeah, if you know codes to certain areas you're not supposed to know in the game, and use them to enter those areas you can sometimes upset the game. I did this with the subway as well and saw Anna and Gunther there, but they didn't acknowledge me.

Later (I believe) this led to a rather confusing confrontation with Paul in the medical lab where he told me about how he had survived, but right next to us was another one of him only dead on the table. Somehow, I managed to satisfy both requirements for him being both alive and dead. (Picture a page or two back)

I never got to see if anything else got messed up that run through because I was having hard drive problems and I ended up losing the save. (No, my 2 TB hard drive! How could you fail me so?! :cry:) I replaced the hard drive since then with a cheaper, smaller one. I didn't want to go through the whole game again though since I was literally at Area 51 when it happened. I'm just not willing to go through the whole thing again right now.

I'm currently trying (for the third time) to force myself through Invisible War with all of the graphical attachments and modifications in place, but I seriously doubt I have the ability to get through it. So sad. :(

BTW, if you're looking to mod-up Invisible War, the Official Steam Forums has a thread that is the most comprehensive, although there are others out there, this has all of the relevant information in one place.

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1322973

There's a thread for the original Deus Ex there too. That one is less vital since the Kentie site pretty much covers it all anyway. Only exception is that the steam thread provides a slightly less bright version of ENB. As far as I know, it's only available there. (see post here)

The only Invisible War mod I want is the one which completely re-designs the engine. And maybe a story re-write cause some of the poo poo can get really far fetched. Teleporters my rear end. This ain't Half-Life. Interesting weapons would help, too. Get rid of unlimited ammo. A new art style. About the only thing impressive about IW is the lighting and shadows. Hrm.

And 10 years later only now do I learn about the hidden safe in Manderley's office. :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

XausF1 posted:

And 10 years later only now do I learn about the hidden safe in Manderley's office. :psyduck:

Because it's hidden in the sense that it's literally impossible to get to unless you noclip through the wall. Unless Biomod added a door or something.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Clonexx posted:

I've been playing PC games for 25+ years now and I am sad to say that for some reason, I never played Deus Ex. After hearing so much about the game over the years and with Human Revolution coming out, I decided to finally buy it on Steam.

I installed it and did the recommended installs of the fixed EXE and using the D3D10 renderer. Everything runs absolutely fine except for 2 things. The first is that every single object seems to clip into whatever it's sitting on just a little bit. For instance, a Datapad sitting on a desk is only 3/4 to 1/2 visible because the rest is through the desk. However, I can deal with that, it's not a big deal.

The major issue I am having is menus. Anytime a menu is brought up where you have to use the mouse to click on things, the mouse is incredibly slow. It basically acts exactly the same way a game would behave if you ran it on a machine that wasn't fast enough to handle it. This includes the main menu before getting into the game and any menus inside the game, including inventory. This is making it extremely difficult to play and enjoy.

Has anyone else run into that issue and found a way to fix it? I am running on Windows 7 64bit with 4GB ram, a decent Nvidia card and a single core processor.

Pope Guilty posted:

I have had that mouse lag issue in lots of games, including Deus Ex- basically any game where the main interface isn't moving a cursor around with a mouse, I expect mouse lag.
This fixed it for me:

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-1409941.html

(Installing the latest MS Visual C++ Runtimes) http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=a7b7a05e-6de6-4d3a-a423-37bf0912db84

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another

XausF1 posted:

The only Invisible War mod I want is the one which completely re-designs the engine. And maybe a story re-write cause some of the poo poo can get really far fetched. Teleporters my rear end. This ain't Half-Life. Interesting weapons would help, too. Get rid of unlimited ammo. A new art style. About the only thing impressive about IW is the lighting and shadows. Hrm.

Teleporters? I don't recall one ever being mentioned

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

Cicadalek posted:

Teleporters? I don't recall one ever being mentioned

The teleporter which only someone with Denton DNA can use which is in the ApostleCorp lab in Trier, Germany. The one that takes you to Antarctica.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
Oh I thought you meant the original, please excuse my Bullshit.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
I just played through IW for the first time on the off chance that there would be jokes in DX3 about it or references I might not get otherwise. I was kind of bored the whole time, the mediocrity was really depressing. Oh look, I'm approaching an objective. Do I go through the front door or the conveniently human sized air vent? Repeat until end of game. No characters worth remembering, no consequences to your actions, universal ammo, it's just boring.

The Pebbler
Nov 22, 2006

by T. Finn
Man, sector 4 of area 51 is always such a let down. The enemies are easy to kill and you can stop them from spawning. I think there's only like 4 mj12 troopers in the whole place.

Also does anyone know of any really good Deus Ex map packs?(Excluding TNM)

Colinrobinson
Apr 10, 2005

Yeah I'm not positive what my deal is either, so I just sort of keep on truckin'

The Pebbler posted:

Man, sector 4 of area 51 is always such a let down. The enemies are easy to kill and you can stop them from spawning. I think there's only like 4 mj12 troopers in the whole place.

To be fair, you have been (most likely) murdering MJ12 troopers left and right for a bunch of levels, now. Unless they were getting cloned in the UCs (which would have been interesting), they've got to run out of cannon fodder sometime!

Sam.
Jan 1, 2009

"I thought we had something, Shepard. Something real."
:qq:

Dr_Amazing posted:

What happens if you kill Anna right there? I always got my rear end kicked at the subway and woke up in the MJ12 prison. Can you just avoid that whole section entirely by not getting caught?

On a similar note, what happens if you defeat the waves of UNATCO troopers and MIBs at Paul's apartment?

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Sam. posted:

On a similar note, what happens if you defeat the waves of UNATCO troopers and MIBs at Paul's apartment?

You're free to roam Hell's Kitchen. Hit up the bar first.

Sam.
Jan 1, 2009

Pope Guilty posted:

You're free to roam Hell's Kitchen. Hit up the bar first.

So how do you end up in the MJ12 prison? Or do you just get to go straight to Hong Kong?

Chunderbucket
Aug 31, 2006

I had a beer with Stephen Miller once and now I like him.

Sam. posted:

So how do you end up in the MJ12 prison? Or do you just get to go straight to Hong Kong?

Plotwise you're meant to take the subway, where Gunther is waiting.

Sam.
Jan 1, 2009

Chunderbucket posted:

Plotwise you're meant to take the subway, where Gunther is waiting.

So no way to completely skip getting captured?

Mystic Cave zOWNd
Dec 22, 2006

Trixie bravely turned her tail and fled

And there was much rejoicing.
None at all. Even if you gib yourself with fall damage you'll end up in prison.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Basically once you send the signal to the NSF, if you die, you wake up in the Majestic-12 cell. The other possible way forward is if you make it to Gunther at the other end of the subway, you can either choose to fight (and die, and wake up in the cell) or surrender (and wake up in the cell).

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

Mystic Cave zOWNd posted:

UNATCO Trooper: We're gonna need duck tape. Lots and lots of duck tape.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Mystic Cave zOWNd posted:

We all know the best death.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipl1iKQpK7s#t=4m10s

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Hogburto posted:

I knew what this was before I clicked on it. There is something seriously wrong with me.

Cheezymadman
Mar 29, 2010

by Fistgrrl

Dr Snofeld posted:

UNATCO Trooper: We're gonna need duck tape. Lots and lots of duck tape.

It's actually duct tape. It was created for taping ducts.
:goonsay:

Content: I just played through again, and managed to avoid fighting Anna Navarre altogether by shooting her with a GEP rocket as soon as I stepped off the subway train. Her "run up to you and initiate conversation" routine hadn't kicked in yet I guess, and she was still a green reticle, but it was quite satisfying, since I hadn't gotten her killphrase on that playthrough.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Cheezymadman posted:

The kind you will spend massive amounts of time crawling through.

orange lime
Jul 24, 2008

by Fistgrrl

Hogburto posted:

Is that some modified copy of the game? He seems to be skipping over some sections -- like when he goes to talk to Sam Carter, I remember him having to actually walk over to the door to unlock it before you could get in. This dude gets into the armory as soon as the conversation finishes.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

orange lime posted:

Is that some modified copy of the game? He seems to be skipping over some sections -- like when he goes to talk to Sam Carter, I remember him having to actually walk over to the door to unlock it before you could get in. This dude gets into the armory as soon as the conversation finishes.

He's exploiting glitches. I think there's a description of them somewhere but I don't know offhand.

Sam.
Jan 1, 2009

JC Denton taking a nap

(he got shot at LaGuardia but somehow he didn't die, he wasn't bleeding out and the camera didn't rotate and hitting escape didn't do anything)

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
You know, a lot people talk about how the Liberty Island intro is the thing that stops them from replaying the game, but for me it's the bloody French Catacombs that always stop me, just because they're so bloody boring :geno: Like I think they're an interesting idea for a setting, but they're just not well done and... kind of silly as executed.

(Still love you Deus Ex)

Makenshi
Apr 14, 2009

Zorak posted:

You know, a lot people talk about how the Liberty Island intro is the thing that stops them from replaying the game, but for me it's the bloody French Catacombs that always stop me, just because they're so bloody boring :geno: Like I think they're an interesting idea for a setting, but they're just not well done and... kind of silly as executed.

(Still love you Deus Ex)

The number of times I got lost in those bloody catacombs (yes I cant read a map). Never really got why people didnt like Liberty Island, it was always one of my favourite levels.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I've replayed the game so much that the catacombs have become muscle memory. I can blow through there in about 15 minutes.

I agree that's not one of the better done parts, too much time getting lost. It feels like every great game has something like that though. The sewers in Bloodlines are so bad I always just noclip through them. Fortunately nothing in DX is that lovely.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Incidentally, I would play an entire game that plays out like searching the Duclare Mansion. Exploring houses and finding hidden switches that open hidden passages 'n poo poo is the best.

The Pebbler
Nov 22, 2006

by T. Finn
How do you get lost in the catacombs? It's like a straight line from point A to B.

Crappy Jack posted:

Incidentally, I would play an entire game that plays out like searching the Duclare Mansion. Exploring houses and finding hidden switches that open hidden passages 'n poo poo is the best.

The mansion has the most awkward bathroom design ever. Then again pre-cathedral Paris feels like kind of a rush job.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Cheezymadman posted:

Nope, "duct tape" is a corruption of "duck tape", not the other way around. The latter predates the former by 30 years.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Zorak posted:

they're just not well done and... kind of silly as executed.
You just can't get hyped up about meeting a guy named Chad. It's impossible. If Earth President Chad invited me to dinner, I think I'd have to pass.

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib

Zorak posted:

(Still love you Deus Ex)

I was genuinely disappointed to find that the actual catacombs didn't have WWII bunkers you could poke around in.

Revener
Aug 25, 2007

by angerbeet
Has there been any fix for the black screen in Invisible War yet?

Hard Clumping
Mar 19, 2008

Y'ALL BREADY
FOR THIS

Crappy Jack posted:

That was one of the most interesting experiences in the whole game for me. I kept expecting the house to get raided by MJ12 and have to blow everything to poo poo, but the developers really took that line Nicolette had about the house staying the same to heart.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

KillHour posted:

I knew what this was before I clicked on it. There is something seriously wrong with me.

So did I. :ohdear:

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
Well, I did tell you.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Hard Clumping posted:

That was one of the most interesting experiences in the whole game for me. I kept expecting the house to get raided by MJ12 and have to blow everything to poo poo, but the developers really took that line Nicolette had about the house staying the same to heart.

Here's hoping that DX:HR captures that element of DX along with its looks-to-be-very-good take on DX combat.

Hard Clumping
Mar 19, 2008

Y'ALL BREADY
FOR THIS

Zorak posted:

Here's hoping that DX:HR captures that element of DX along with its looks-to-be-very-good take on DX combat.

As I implied in the other thread, this all depends on whether we can flush toilets and leave sinks on in bathrooms. This is a deal breaker.

orange lime
Jul 24, 2008

by Fistgrrl

Hard Clumping posted:

As I implied in the other thread, this all depends on whether we can flush toilets and leave sinks on in bathrooms. This is a deal breaker.

If my boss doesn't tell me to "quit screwing around" when I throw a potted plant at his head or dump an entire vending machine's supply of soy food on his desk, it just won't be Deus Ex.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cray
Dec 3, 2010
Speaking of the catacombs, weren't they supposed to be a tribute to Ultima Underworld? Same way the cathedral is like something from Thief and the ocean lab is very System Shock-y. I read that somewhere years ago and now I can't help but see vague Looking Glass references all over the second half of the game (not to mention the obvious 0451 thing at the start).