Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Oh, I just looked on the Justified page and it said that it's coming to Hulu in 2011. I didn't know if there was a delay. 30 days delay sounds absurd

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kneel Before Zog
Jan 16, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
My mates and I finished Misfits. Is Skins like Misfits without the supernatural powers?

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...
I believe season 1 of Justified was an 8 day delay, as was Terriers.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Mu Zeta posted:

Oh, I just looked on the Justified page and it said that it's coming to Hulu in 2011. I didn't know if there was a delay. 30 days delay sounds absurd
Yeah, it sucks, but they've been using 30-day delays a lot lately. I think all their Fall '10 shows (Sunny, League, etc.) were on 30-day, and Archer is now.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Feb 13, 2011

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL

Kneel Before Zog posted:

My mates and I finished Misfits. Is Skins like Misfits without the supernatural powers?

Only in that it's about a group of friends who like to do drugs. The main antagonist in season 1 of skins is way more interesting to watch than any villain in Misfits though.

Stormageddon
Jan 16, 2008
I am actually just a sentient program made to shitpost, and am still getting my human speed calibration down.
on the second season of Frasier binge. Gotta say despite kelsey grammar being one of the most painfully unfunny people in the world now, this show really was gold.

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by sebmojo

Mr.Graves posted:

If you like Kitchen Confidential then you really need to give the series Whites the time it deserves. Why am I so annoying about Whites at the present moment? Because A) I am an rear end in a top hat and B) although you will never get a second season of Kitchen Confidential, if enough people get a cult following over Whites then maybe, just maybe a show with an awesome cast that is witty, British humour and genuinely funny might have a chance at a second season.

The last I heard, episode 6 of Whites was the series finale. Make me wrong!

Maybe this will be funnier if you post it a third time?

Finished Terriers and it was pretty good, nothing special. It's overhyped in this thread though.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Kipory posted:

on the second season of Frasier binge. Gotta say despite kelsey grammar being one of the most painfully unfunny people in the world now, this show really was gold.

He is hilarious in Cheers and the cast on Frasier was amazing. David Hyde Pierce made that show.

Shadowknight
Jan 28, 2011

WE GET IT! YOU REALLY FUCKING HATE GEOFF JOHNS! NOW SHUT THE FUCK UP ABOUT IT IN EVERY GODDAMNED POST!
In the last couple of months:

Dexter seasons 1 & 2, which were pretty good overall. I've heard mixed things about the following seasons, so I'm not sure if I should continue or not. I have to watch it via the Wii on Netflix, and I'm really starting to get put off by the poor image quality of the streaming.

Rome seasons 1 & 2 - The first four episodes were kind of dull, then it picked up from there. I liked season 1 from episode 5 onward, but didn't care for season 2. Second season got too dark, making everyone unlikable, and I got bored with the over-focus on Octavian at the expense of everyone else. It seem Octavian spent more time talking about doing things than actually doing them (on screen, at least) whereas season 1 showed Ceasar actually acting on his desire to rule Rome instead of just talking about it.

Mad Men: first 1.75 season were great, and from there dropped to merely good. It's refreshing to have a series where the characters aren't stating the obvious all the time, and that the producers allow for subtlety and ambiguity in terms of characterisation. Makes me wish season 4 was out on blu-ray now, instead of coming out late next month.

Azmodaii
Aug 16, 2008
just finished watching Burn notice till the last aired episode and drat its a good show. Watch it if you haven't already, very likeable characters.

I also love lie to me but I notice that it doesn't even have a topic on TVIV, do people hate it? :/

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Burn Notice does have a seasonable following, it's got quite a good following.

Tiny Baby Kittens
Feb 16, 2010

Shadowknight posted:

Dexter seasons 1 & 2, which were pretty good overall. I've heard mixed things about the following seasons, so I'm not sure if I should continue or not.

Season 3 is easily the worst imo - but season 4 is amazing, I think it would be worth it to at least push yourself through 3 just so you can watch 4. Season 5 is alright.

Stormageddon
Jan 16, 2008
I am actually just a sentient program made to shitpost, and am still getting my human speed calibration down.
I think 5 was worse than 3, but yeah, the first two are def amazing.

Season 4 could have used a little more substance, it felt like they ran out of ideas mid way through but had to drag it out in order to make more episodes. Still a fantastic season, despite dragging somewhat.

bobkatt013 posted:

He is hilarious in Cheers and the cast on Frasier was amazing. David Hyde Pierce made that show.

Yeah, the whole supporting cast really is top notch. The accidental gay date episode in the second season is probably the hardest I've laughed at a traditional sitcom in a while.

"Dad wanted to tell you, but I won the coin toss"

Also, this scene will forever be one of the best:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OLOOHfjFazc

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Shadowknight posted:

Dexter seasons 1 & 2, which were pretty good overall. I've heard mixed things about the following seasons, so I'm not sure if I should continue or not. I have to watch it via the Wii on Netflix, and I'm really starting to get put off by the poor image quality of the streaming.

I recently went through the same ordeal and ended up watching 3 and 4 anyways. I still think that 2 is the series' peak but neither 3 nor 4 never felt like a waste of time. 4 is definitely the better of the two but that's largely because I'm gay for John Lithgow and he was awesomely creepy in season 4.

Or, alternately, you could just watch this and call it a day:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WM5_pac-4Is

Stormageddon
Jan 16, 2008
I don't think I've loved hating an antagonist as much as I did in Season 2 of Dex. They were perfectly acted and written, they got despicable so right with them.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."
Basically any time you've enjoyed a show and have to ask "should I continue on?" the answer is yes, whether it's Dexter or Veronica Mars or BSG or any other show this comes up for recently. No harm in deciding for yourself, and a lot of the "problems" of those shows in later years are related to expectations or don't come across in binges.

HateTheInternet
Dec 19, 2004

He just put the kibosh on me, do you know what the kibosh means, it's a kibosh!

jeffersonlives posted:

Basically any time you've enjoyed a show and have to ask "should I continue on?" the answer is yes, whether it's Dexter or Veronica Mars or BSG or any other show this comes up for recently. No harm in deciding for yourself, and a lot of the "problems" of those shows in later years are related to expectations or don't come across in binges.

This. Anytime I've expected a show to drop in quality (S3 of BSG, S5 of West Wing, S4 of Buffy, S5 of the Wire, S4/5/6/7 of the Office, etc.) I've instead been pleasantly surprised and left wondering what the hell everyone's problem was.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

jeffersonlives posted:

This is very true, especially the last part. Of course if you don't like the way a plot wraps up it's not going to change if you watch it one at a time or all together, but frequently a LOT of other problems, especially relating to pacing, filler or unpopular subplots, matter a lot less when you don't have to wait a week for a good episode following a particularly lovely one.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

With the obvious exception of Heroes.

I also think you're perfectly justified in bailing on Weeds after season 2 or 3, but that's more debatable.

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!

A Violence Gang posted:

I also think you're perfectly justified in bailing on Weeds after season 2 or 3, but that's more debatable.

Yep. I already went into Weeds with lower standards than I usually hold my shows up to which allowed me to enjoy a whole lot of the first two seasons because the really good parts (anything Kevin Nealon did) almost entirely offset the bad (anything the lead actress did).

Around midway though season 2 the ratio of good to bad changed and made me actually ask that question about bailing. After a few opinions and spoilers for the next two seasons, I finished up season two and never looked back. Despite having enjoyed it at one point, it was clear the show was going places I didn't particularly care about. So bailing was the definitely the right idea when there were other shows I wanted to use my time to catch up with instead.

Jenny of Oldstones
Jul 24, 2002

Queen of dragonflies
We're vacationing in Hawaii for a bit, and yesterday saw some filming locations of Lost -- including the Orchid station (still standing in an old dilapidated amusement park), the temple (eerily also still standing, and made of temporary material, though the top of the temple was actually CG), the original crash site and secondary beach camp, the waterfall and pond where Sawyer and Kate found the marshall's locked box containing Kate's things, the rainforest, the hills where a lot of scenes took place such as Hurley's Dharma Van scene, the coconut palm forest, the hotel Jin got a job at, the walkway where Jin bumped into a woman in orange and met Sun, the graves of Shannon and Boone and Locke's grave he was digging for himself (these mounds are strangely still there), the Nigerian village, the Nigerian drug plane's crash site, the Nigerian air strip, the shrimp shack where Sawyer killed the guy he thought was Sawyer (we ate there!), etc. Tomorrow we're going to check out the area of the cliffs, base of the statue, and rocks where several scenes were shot, including where Desmond killed the original button pushing guy.

When I get back home, I am going to watch the entire show again. After visiting these filming locations in person, I can't wait to compare them with the scenes on the show. Edit: I uploaded a few photos here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/lostfilminglocations/. Our Hawaiin internet is quite crappy, sorry to say, so could not upload all of them.

Jenny of Oldstones fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Feb 14, 2011

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Desmond posted:

We're vacationing in Hawaii for a bit, and yesterday saw some filming locations of Lost -- including the Orchid station (still standing in an old dilapidated amusement park), the temple (eerily also still standing, and made of temporary material, though the top of the temple was actually CG), the original crash site and secondary beach camp, the waterfall and pond where Sawyer and Kate found the marshall's locked box containing Kate's things, the rainforest, the hills where a lot of scenes took place such as Hurley's Dharma Van scene, the coconut palm forest, the hotel Jin got a job at, the walkway where Jin bumped into a woman in orange and met Sun, the graves of Shannon and Boone and Locke's grave he was digging for himself (these mounds are strangely still there), the Nigerian village, the Nigerian drug plane's crash site, the Nigerian air strip, the shrimp shack where Sawyer killed the guy he thought was Sawyer (we ate there!), etc. Tomorrow we're going to check out the area of the cliffs, base of the statue, and rocks where several scenes were shot, including where Desmond killed the original button pushing guy.

When I get back home, I am going to watch the entire show again. After visiting these filming locations in person, I can't wait to compare them with the scenes on the show. At some point when we get back home I'll upload our photos if anyone's interested.

Aah, that's awesome. I've always wanted to do a TV/Movie location hunt. Hawaii is a bit out of reach, but I've seriously considered a Monty Python and the Holy Grail tour of Scotland, there are websites that help you find the locations, and some of the castles are open to the public

Yomofo
Jun 7, 2005

by Cyrano4747
I love this thread.

Every time I post you guys hook me up with the best shows. I just finished Misfits and loved every second of it. The humor in that show was so refreshing, definitely not was I was expecting after watching a series like Heroes. I'm about to start season 4 of Spooks (MI-5) and I really like it. There's no way I would have ever found out about this show without posting, so a big thanks to who ever suggested it to me.
The next two I'm looking at are Rome and Spartacus. I tried to watch the 1st episode of Spartacus and the special effects were so over the top I had to stop. It just looked too cheap/fake to me. Should I give it another shot or will this irk me throughout the season?

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Yomofo posted:

The next two I'm looking at are Rome and Spartacus. I tried to watch the 1st episode of Spartacus and the special effects were so over the top I had to stop. It just looked too cheap/fake to me. Should I give it another shot or will this irk me throughout the season?

It gets toned down a lot after the first couple of episodes.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

I recently finished my second run through Veronica Mars and gently caress the haters, I'd rather have had a season 4 with her in the FBI (Goggins!) than no more Veronica Mars at all.
There, I said it.

The slow-motion chase scene with the pervy head master from the season 4 show reel killed me.

In case you haven't seen it before:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LG_dqD9RrKM

mcbexx fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Feb 14, 2011

Yeet
Nov 18, 2005

- WE.IGE -

Flatscan posted:

It gets toned down a lot after the first couple of episodes.

Yeah. I know it gets said a lot but the show gets completely awesome. The shadow of death fight will forever be etched in my mind. Also I think Crixus looks a lot like Ronnie from Jersey Shore.

sulphix
Dec 15, 2008
Just binged through all of Misfits this weekend. Loved the show and am kinda wishing there were more episodes in each season.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Yomofo posted:

Personally I'd recommend watching Rome first, then Spartacus. Spartacus is like Rome, but described by an ADD 13 year old.
Spartacus does start off rather unimpressive, but by about episode 5 it becomes amazingly awesome, and you'll be hooked.

HateTheInternet
Dec 19, 2004

I've been slowly going through Farscape, only on episode 9. Pretty entertaining so far, but that low rumble you hear every 5-10 seconds during the scenes on the ship is incredibly distracting. Has anyone else noticed this?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

HateTheInternet posted:

I've been slowly going through Farscape, only on episode 9. Pretty entertaining so far, but that low rumble you hear every 5-10 seconds during the scenes on the ship is incredibly distracting. Has anyone else noticed this?

Once you reach a certain point you will no longer watch it slowly as it gets awesome.

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."
Just finished season 3 of Skins.

Naomi and Emily are so loving cute jesus christ. :3:

Also I wasn't expecting such amazing acting from this show, drat.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

HateTheInternet posted:

I always count episode 10 as the point at which the show really finds its feet. Maybe it's because I really like the MOTW in 10, but there's character stuff laid down from about that point that really starts the show down a more interesting path.

SolidRed
Jan 23, 2008
and if you didn't know.... NOW YOU KNOW - Christian Cage

HateTheInternet posted:

You are watching my favourite show in the world and the low rumble show is only in season 1. It never really bothered me, remember this is an Australian show and the budget for the first season was pretty low but as the cast gets it's sea legs the show becomes amazing.

The character development in shows like this is what makes them amazing, it's like how Spartacus would be a pretty god awful show if not for the attachment it makes you develop for the characters in it. Stick to it Farscape rocks!

JUICY HAMBUGAR
Nov 10, 2010

Eating, America's pastime.
Been slowly working through Buffy The Vampire Slayer and just hit "The Body".

Wow.

Baron von der Loon
Feb 12, 2009

Awesome!
We recently found out that UPC is hosting Medium, and I have to say that it's a pretty interesting television series. It has some interesting mysteries, and I really like the physic angle the series has. We're currently in Season 2, Episode 5. There's been a few bad episodes, but I overall like it.

Just recently read that they ended the series last year. Does anyone know if it has an open ending or did they manage to properly end the series?

Cadwalader
Jun 28, 2009

Bawk.
I travel a lot so tend to really binge on long haul flights and I have just done series 1 & 2 of Misfits which was superb, saving the Christmas special for my flight home Tuesday. Other mentions are series 2 of Trueblood which is ok for passing some time but Godrick and Eric should have been fleshed out way more, I loved Godrick. I also did The Wire series 4 in 2 evenings and it's still one of the greatest things I have watched.

The last one I have saved is Lie to Me, which I have watched the first two episodes of. I'm still a bit meh so far but gently caress it's Tim Roth, just how bad could it be?

HateTheInternet
Dec 19, 2004

Fatkraken posted:

I always count episode 10 as the point at which the show really finds its feet. Maybe it's because I really like the MOTW in 10, but there's character stuff laid down from about that point that really starts the show down a more interesting path.

Yeah, at nine episodes in it's been pretty monster-of-the-week so far. It's been one of those shows where it's good while you're watching it, but you don't miss it when you aren't. Glad to hear that it really picks up quick, though!

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
Just finished Spartacus, so much boobs and blood it's sensory overload. I've seen it mentioned that it takes a bit to get started, I think I started liking it around the 4 episode or so. While I enjoyed it, I think it was one of those shows that may have benefited from a 6 episode season. Some of the story arcs I got bored with.

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007

JUICY HAMBUGAR posted:

Been slowly working through Buffy The Vampire Slayer and just hit "The Body".

Wow.

I'm of the opinion that Anya's speech is probably the best written thing to have been on T.V.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MeKeV
Aug 10, 2010

rvdleun posted:

We recently found out that UPC is hosting Medium, and I have to say that it's a pretty interesting television series. It has some interesting mysteries, and I really like the physic angle the series has. We're currently in Season 2, Episode 5. There's been a few bad episodes, but I overall like it.

Just recently read that they ended the series last year. Does anyone know if it has an open ending or did they manage to properly end the series?

It's definitely not open ended.

My other half loved it all the way through. It soon got pretty samey for me though.