Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

Mr. Carlisle posted:

Just read a bit of the most recent Strikeforce thread trying to get the swing of things and I see alot of people celebrating Fedor being dealt another loss - is there a reason that he seems pretty hated here?

I like Fedor personally but despise his cult of personality (see amokgonzo/treazn's post history) and the management that kept him from fighting top competition for so long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nocturama
Dec 26, 2007

I've never seen a dislike of fedor besides in the sas threads. he's been a fairly good likable fighter and the hate fedor meme has just been picked up by every oval office trying to get accepted here

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
The SAS threads would heat up about Fedor whenever he had a fight coming, was offered a fight but turned it down, or was in contract negotiations with the UFC again. The "Fedor debate" (whether or not he was overrated or deserved his ranking) has been going on in SAS threads for years.

The Fedor "Agony and Ecstasy" thread (now the Overeem ducking thread) started in SAS and became the main place to complain about Fedor and his fans. Once that thread was created, much of the Fedor talk stopped appearing in the B-League and UFC threads. This is also compounded by the fact that Fedor fought so infrequently over the last few years that he just didn't come up in conversation as often as he did when the UFC was trying to sign him.

Gomi Pile
Jan 19, 2011

by Ozmaugh

nocturama posted:

I've never seen a dislike of fedor besides in the sas threads. he's been a fairly good likable fighter and the hate fedor meme has just been picked up by every oval office trying to get accepted here

fedor has stubborn, shady management who bully promotions and trash talk fighters while avoiding fights. his interview style is terribly off putting. his fans, for a very long time, have been insistent that he is the best ever.

most people with eyes and brains who watch his fights understood that he is fast, has power, and has a very aggressive top game. they also understood that he is small, and has lovely defense (both standing an on the ground).

the reality havers would post stuff that was objectively true, then fedor fans would basically just agitate them. it feels really satisfying to watch yourself be validated as weirdos post long weepy things about how their lives are ruined.

nocturama
Dec 26, 2007

i don't think calling him a racist every second post is objectively true though

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
Maybe not but it's fun.

nocturama
Dec 26, 2007

that's what I'm getting at. its cool to hate fedor here, so anyone who likes the dude stays quiet and everybody else joins in

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
No, just like any fighter you can be a fan if you're not stupid about it. It just so happens that Fedor fans are usually defensive and a little stupid about their favorite racist, which makes them more annoying than the average fighter fan.

nocturama
Dec 26, 2007

fedor and bj got me into mma, so I'm used to reading poo poo here from hating motherfuckers, and I can deal with with it, it just gets boring and tiresome reading the same poo poo over and over

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
^^^ It is more tiresome to see "Fedor is the best ever" for 7 years when that hasn't been true for 5 years.

nocturama posted:

that's what I'm getting at. its cool to hate fedor here, so anyone who likes the dude stays quiet and everybody else joins in

Why would you like a racist?

Gomi Pile
Jan 19, 2011

by Ozmaugh

nocturama posted:

fedor and bj got me into mma, so I'm used to reading poo poo here from hating motherfuckers, and I can deal with with it, it just gets boring and tiresome reading the same poo poo over and over

those guys are the worst

Gomi Pile
Jan 19, 2011

by Ozmaugh
antonio mckee got me into mma.

nocturama
Dec 26, 2007

ok I lie. it was hong man choi

nocturama
Dec 26, 2007

really it was shogun but only because he's so dreamy

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

nocturama posted:

Have you considered Arona

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

projecthalaxy posted:

Shogun doesn't fishhook my heroes.

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002

nocturama posted:

i don't think calling him a racist every second post is objectively true though

it's all been worth it

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.
could we enforce a no fighter bashing rule fatherdog. thx

nocturama
Dec 26, 2007

projecthalaxy posted:

shogun-arona safely in the wank bank

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Bubba Smith posted:

I don't even enforce a no fatherdog bashing rule, I'm certainly not going to spend my time as a moderator protecting professional fighters' delicate feelings

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

My thanks to everyone that posted an answer to my question about Fedor. I had only read bits and pieces of the story as to why people are divided on him before and obviously alot was left out about his shady management and things like that. I had read that their nonsense had caused the Fedor/UFC deal to go sour and I didn't know how much of that was Dana White being Dana White or if they really were that bad. With their apparent history of feeding him fighters Goldberg style (For those that don't know Goldberg was a pro wrestler that had an 'undefeated' streak of like 175-0 before he was finally beaten and built his streak mostly by beating jobbers (cans) to get there) I'd have to wonder if they ever really wanted him to get signed to UFC at all regardless of how much money and control were tossed at him by White. Thanks again!

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

nocturama posted:

one of us one of us

This forum is the best because we acknowledge that our love of the sport all arises from barely suppressed homoerotic passion.

Gorefluff
Aug 19, 2004
cuddly minotaur
If Fedor fought more (and thus likely lost more) and didn't have M-1 behind him making ridiculous demands before/after/during each fight, he'd probably be a huge fan favourite around here. He's a weird, fat, bald middleweight who hosed up legit heavyweight guys in his prime, which is basically the perfect formula for an underdog fan favourite, but his long winning streak both makes him unreasonably popular among idiots which also feeds into and makes him unreasonably subject to hatred here. If he had a few more early losses and wasn't so coveted and protected by M-1 as their meal ticket, he could have moved to a good training camp and been the scrappy, durable, undersized yet dangerous Russian crazyman that everyone loves to watch, win or lose. Watching Fedor fights really stoked my love of MMA in general, but I have also never read a single post on Sherdog, which makes me a rare and lucky type of fan.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

La morte non ha sesso

Mr. Carlisle posted:

My thanks to everyone that posted an answer to my question about Fedor. I had only read bits and pieces of the story as to why people are divided on him before and obviously alot was left out about his shady management and things like that. I had read that their nonsense had caused the Fedor/UFC deal to go sour and I didn't know how much of that was Dana White being Dana White or if they really were that bad.
Less people disdain Fedor the fighter than Fedor the phenomenon. He's coasted on his rep as Greatest Fighter of All Time by a) remaining undefeated and b) having beaten Nog and Cro Cop. Since then he barely maintained relevance by fighting guys who aren't relevant to any kind of heavyweight rankings, and he's been the center of a shitstorm of fights, events, and promotions that kept falling through. M-1 Global and Affliction MMA both failed because they bet the farm on him, though that's not really his fault.

His management are basically Russian mafia types who are so used to operating in a post-Soviet kleptocracy that they don't remember where business ends and racketeering begins. His manager Vadim Finkelstein came right out and said "Hey, we just asked the UFC to build us a stadium in Russia and also give us a piece of the action on every future UFC event they hold in Russia; what's the big deal?"

freud mayweather
Jan 29, 2009

Bubba Smith posted:

oh god. more than the lovely posters, the no bashing rule is what keeps me away from sherdog. they always give me the yellow card things for calling fighters gay babies.

but fighters are almost exclusively gay babies.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Gorefluff posted:

Watching Fedor fights really stoked my love of MMA in general, but I have also never read a single post on Sherdog, which makes me a rare and lucky type of fan.

Watching a highlight video of him and hearing how well Brock Lesnar was doing in his MMA transition (this was when he was gearing up for a title bout) were the things that got me to start paying attention to MMA. Well that and Gina Carano but that's an entirely different story altogether, haha. The more I learned about it the more fascinating it started to become to me. I got back into pro wrestling around the same time and though I watch far more wrestling than I do MMA I still like reading about it and following the threads here. I've never visited Sherdog either due to the amount of backlash it seems to get from the folks here who know their stuff.

Halloween Jack posted:

Less people disdain Fedor the fighter than Fedor the phenomenon. He's coasted on his rep as Greatest Fighter of All Time by a) remaining undefeated and b) having beaten Nog and Cro Cop. Since then he barely maintained relevance by fighting guys who aren't relevant to any kind of heavyweight rankings, and he's been the center of a shitstorm of fights, events, and promotions that kept falling through. M-1 Global and Affliction MMA both failed because they bet the farm on him, though that's not really his fault.

His management are basically Russian mafia types who are so used to operating in a post-Soviet kleptocracy that they don't remember where business ends and racketeering begins. His manager Vadim Finkelstein came right out and said "Hey, we just asked the UFC to build us a stadium in Russia and also give us a piece of the action on every future UFC event they hold in Russia; what's the big deal?"

Alot of great information in this post, thank you. In a way it kind of seems unfortunate that Fedor relies on these shady people as much as he does. He seems like a genuinely skilled fighter that could probably have worked his way up the ladder on his own (hardcore fight fans may disagree - just saying this from a casual fan perspective I guess) but who knows if he would have had the hype surrounding him that he did before his first real loss. It's hard to say if they actually managed to build him into what he is by using their shady tactics or if he could have done it himself. The backstage nonsense of MMA to me is more interesting than the actual in-ring (octagon?) stuff in the same way that it is with pro wrestling.

platero
Sep 11, 2001

spooky, but polite, a-hole

Pillbug

fawker posted:

The only one I know of is on MiddleEasy
http://middleeasy.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=3019&Itemid=107

Thanks a ton for that.

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

Mr. Carlisle posted:

Alot of great information in this post, thank you. In a way it kind of seems unfortunate that Fedor relies on these shady people as much as he does. He seems like a genuinely skilled fighter that could probably have worked his way up the ladder on his own (hardcore fight fans may disagree - just saying this from a casual fan perspective I guess) but who knows if he would have had the hype surrounding him that he did before his first real loss.

I can only speak for myself, but Fedor would've still been a good fighter with a good record if he hadn't ducked so many guys and taken easy fights. If he'd fought Ricco, Barnett, Kharitonov, and other guys like that in PRIDE when he had the chance, rematched Cro cop, fought Monson instead of ducking him and facing Lindand, or signed with the UFC, he absolutely would have picked up some more losses that brought his record more in line with the other top HWs.

Fedor has attributes that make him a good fighter, and yeah, if he'd had a modern training situation he would definitely have been a better fighter. But as it is, he had serious deficiencies in his grappling his entire career that he covered up with his great reflexes, and he got dominated by guys who were strong top position jiu jitsu players

a troll i posted a couple years ago:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3046574&pagenumber=29&perpage=40#post355598928

quote:

Fedor's career and status as a top heavyweight is a complete farce. All of his notable career accomplishments were shadows of Nogueira's accomplishments. Let us take a trip back in time.

In 2000, Nogueira faced TK in rings and fought him to a draw. Just a few months later, TK beat Fedor with one punch. Nogueira went on to WIN that rings tournament. So lets get this straight. Nog and Fedor both enter a tournament. Nog wins the tournament. Fedor dicked around in rings a little longer and matched Nogeuira's accomplishment.

In 2002, Fedor came to PRIDE. Nog had been in PRIDE for awhile and was the first ever PRIDE heavyweight champion. Nog had defeated Goodridge, Mark Coleman, Heath Herring and Enson at that point.

Fedor beat the gently caress out of Herring but Herring was still going for reversals at the end of the match and Fedor was completely gassed out. The doctors saved him by stopping the fight on cuts. Of course, Nogueira had won a decided, unquestionable decision over Herring before Fedor ever got in the ring with him.

Styles make fights though and poor Nog matches up none too well with Fedor, who defeated him by a comfortable decision. The fight wasn't nearly as bad a beating as you would be lead to believe. Fedor won with a few good flurries. Nog wasn't able to mount much offense from his back. So Fedor became the SECOND PRIDE Heavyweight champion. I don't want to compare Fedor's performance to Sean Sherk. But I'm mentioning him.

So now that he finally beat a good fighter, Fedor went on to prove to the world he was the greatest by almost getting KO'd by Fujia and beating up Gary Goodridge (already on Nog's Hitlist).

In the meantime, Ricco Rodriguez came to PRIDE and we were finally going to get a good chance to see some cross over between organizations. Ricco beat Nog basically the same way Fedor did but to protect fedor the PRIDE officials called it a Nog win. If Ricco had won Fedor would have had to deal with a good wrestler with a strong top game, his previous experience being with Arona, where it was obvious he would have died in a real MMA bout.

In the PRIDE HW GP Fedor faced Mark Coleman and used the technique Nog already pioneered to beat him, the armbar. Next Fedor faced Kevin Randleman, who he submitted after Kevin started having an out of body experience. Randleman probably threw the fight like he did in the Cro Cop rematch. Fedor's semi-final fight was against Ogawa, a retarded judoka who lost to Yoshida in MMA.

In the same tournament, Nogueira only got one softball instead of three. He had to face Herring and Kharitonov. He submitted Herring this time, better his (and Fedor's) performances.

In the final, Nogeuira looked sharp and Fedor headbutted him to get out of the match. Four months later they rematched and Nog didn't look so sharp and he lost a decision much the same way he did the first time.

Fedor finally stopped ducking Cro Cop and he beat him by decision (Nogueira finished Cro Cop when they fought some time before). Fedor didn't face a meaningful opponent again until Tim Sylvia, who he beat by choke. Of course, in Tim's previous fight Nogueira had choked him out earning the UFC title.

In the mean time half-blind Nog had beaten Werdum and Herring too, this time beating Herring soundly standing instead of on the ground. He also fought Josh Barnett twice. Of course he unfortunately he lost to Mir, but when you spend your whole career fighting top fighters you tend to lose some.

So yeah, I guess you might question Fedor's legacy. If you loving thought about that poo poo for two seconds and realized Nog did everything first and did, way, way more.

:hellyeah:

dunc did a sweet one I forget when though

Bundt Cake fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Feb 13, 2011

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

The thing with fedor is the hive mind has a lot of love for guys who have the fight anyone, anywhere, anytime type philosophy, guys like Wandy, Coleman, Nogueira, to an extent BJ Penn.

They also seem to be in the business because they enjoy it or have to be there and they go out of their way to interact with fans, a combination of their love for the sport and their attitude has all lead to their losing at some point. With Fedor though it seems that he's disinterested in anything that doesn't advance his management or his bank balance, which is fine, objectively I'd probably do the same thing in his position but combine that attitude with his fans' bullshit and it's understandable some people just wish his fans would shut up and he'd go away.

If you're the best you fight the best and you WANT to fight the best, then you don't hide behind your management who're unsavoury at best, criminal at worst and fight in smaller, less competitive companies dodging the consensus number 1 promotion in the world.

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
Who's the hive mind?

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

henkman posted:

Who's the hive mind?

redditt /MMA is almost entirely crying over Fedor making excuses for him, calling Dana White dumb, or a combination. It's pretty pathetic. I'm guessing Sherdog is in a similar state, but I am not wading into that cesspool.

Basically: every MMA forum but here.

platero
Sep 11, 2001

spooky, but polite, a-hole

Pillbug

Xguard86 posted:

redditt /MMA is almost entirely crying over Fedor making excuses for him, calling Dana White dumb, or a combination. It's pretty pathetic. I'm guessing Sherdog is in a similar state, but I am not wading into that cesspool.

Basically: every MMA forum but here.

I got downvoted pretty hard on reddit for saying that they were gonna feed griggs to fedor, then fedor would lose to griggs.

Mons Public
Jun 22, 2006

Sometimes I look for Rupees.
i hang out on ebaums and been peepin that maddox guy

ForbiddenWonder
Feb 15, 2003

i'm a garv guy.

Ho Chi Meeeeee
Jun 13, 2008

let me shovel out your brains
hang my image in your skull
so I can be the vision
in your nightmares from now on
edit: wrong thread

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Have any ACs here in the US flirted with the idea of using an open scoring system for MMA like K-1 uses? I find bad decisions a lot easier to take if I know what's coming.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

The issue with the scoring is that the boxing system was used for a few reasons, there were judges in abundance familiar with it who could be used right away and both the rules and the judges gave the sport a much needed sense of authenticity.

I agree that it's time for something to change, not necessarily the 10 point must system, or a change in the rules, but perhaps better education for the judges, courses or something or the blooding of judges from other MMA rule systems into the new subset.

There's too much of a problem right now with the judges interpretations of aggression, octagon control and generally which fighter is dominating.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich
By "open scoring" I just mean scores being shown at the end of rounds instead of the end of the fight. It seems like such a minor improvement, but for some reason I find it very satisfying not to have to guess where the fight stands at the end of round two or whatever.

Plus we might see better performances if fighters know for a fact that they're behind and that they need to go for a dominant showing as the fight wears on.

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
On the other hand dudes who know they are leading 20-18 might play it safe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
That happens in every other sport, and you can argue it already happens in MMA.