Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

I'm cool with the Solaris cover. It's a bit ... non-threatening compared to the original artwork but it's kinda serene and I can dig that.

Solaris is a furious jizz everywhere while I order for me. I haven't seen any of the other films announced but figured it's about drat time I saw Diaboliques.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Friedpundit
May 6, 2009

Merry Christmas Scary Wormhole!

Magic Hate Ball posted:

What drives me nuts is that it's not really reversible. Right-side up, it looks like Chaplin puking into his own hat, and if you turn it upside-down, you get...um...

...Chaplin with a goiter?

:tinfoil:

Friedpundit fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Feb 15, 2011

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Diabolique - I will probably buy... haven't seen it for 10 years, but I really liked it

Solaris - I was kind of on the fence about it at the time, but in the interim I've warmed up much more to Tarkovsky so I think I'll take the plunge

Smiles of a Summer Night - Do you see my avatar? This is a no-brainer, Bergman's best comedy

Fat Girl - I like it a lot more than most people, but still not enough to buy it

Something Wild - I barely remember this movie, but Melanie Griffith annoys me to no end, so this is a rental at best.

Pale Flower - never seen it, rental. Shinoda is hit (Double Suicide) and miss (Samurai Spy) with me, but this looks good.

The Great Dictator - not a fan, no thank you.

All in all, a decent month for me, and a slight step up from the last few months. The lack of an Eclipse set is disappointing, but that's a pretty full slate of releases already.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Criterion has teamed up with Hulu Plus

quote:

Starting today, there are more than 150 of our most important films online on the Hulu Plus subscription service. Over the coming months, that number will swell to more than 800 films. For the true cinephile, this should be a dream come true. On Hulu Plus, you’ll find everything in our library, from Academy Award winners to many of the most famous films by art-house superstars like Ingmar Bergman, Akira Kurosawa, and Federico Fellini to films so rare that they have never been seen in the U.S. in any medium. Some of these lost gems have been so hard to see that even most of the Criterion staff will see them for the first time only when they go live on Hulu Plus! Each month, we’ll be highlighting a mix of programs, centered on themes, directors, actors, and other creative artists, as well as celebrity picks, and mixing them with deep cuts from the catalog that will be unknown to all but the most prominent cinephiles in the world.

Criterion has always been a company driven by its mission, not by any particular medium, and while we still see our core business as producing the world’s best DVD and Blu-ray versions of the world’s best films, this new venture with Hulu represents a huge expansion of our reach. Not only will Hulu users have access to the largest digital archive of Criterion movies for the first time, Hulu Plus subscribers will now be able to stream our films (and yes, before long, many of our supplements too!) on a wide array of devices, including iPhones, iPads, PlayStations, and Internet-connected television sets.

And finally, why Hulu? In short, because they get it. As their regular viewers know, the Hulu user experience is exactly what it should be: simple, elegant, and focused on the content. Hulu has built their brand on letting the shows and movies take center stage. Nobody does it better, and we’re honored that they see Criterion as a good match for their audience. We’re going to do all we can to make the experience of Criterion on Hulu Plus an exciting adventure for all of us, so please check it out and let us know what you think. (For more details on how it will work, here’s a blog post by Hulu’s Eugene Wei.)

http://www.criterion.com/current/po...ampaign+Monitor

http://www.hulu.com/criterion

I don't have Hulu Plus but hopefully they didn't put ads in the middle of the movies (at the beginning would be fine)

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Feb 15, 2011

STEVIE B 4EVA
Nov 13, 2005

girl in the slayer jacket            i am searching for you

Sporadic posted:

I don't have Hulu Plus but hopefully they didn't put ads in the middle of the movies (at the beginning would be fine)

What about an ad for RAID in the middle of Naked Lunch?

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

STEVIE B 4EVA posted:

What about an ad for RAID in the middle of Naked Lunch?

Jello pudding in the middle of Salo?

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

zenintrude posted:

Jello pudding in the middle of Salo?

Scissors in Antichrist.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

You guys need to read the whole stories!

"Movies, unlike most of our TV programs, aren’t shot with ad breaks in mind, and it has always been tricky to find opportune moments to inject ad breaks in movies on Hulu.com so that we can compensate content owners while maintaining the optimum user experience. For Criterion, thanks to our advertising partners, Hulu Plus subscribers will be able to watch the Criterion Collection free of interruption. (Any ads will play up front.) For those who don’t have a Hulu Plus subscription, each month we’ll still rotate a few Criterion titles through Hulu.com with our normal periodic ad breaks."

Other highlights: Criterion has streaming rights to "over 800 movies", and they're going to start putting up the DVD supplements as well.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Sporadic posted:

Criterion has teamed up with Hulu Plus

I've never really considered this service before, but looking through their selection they seem to have literally every show I watch on a regular basis. I don't really care about watching something the night it airs, either.

Between Netflix and Hulu, that would be around 20 bucks a month for all my television needs plus access to basically the entire Criterion Collection and all the Asylum movies I can handle. Living in the future is great.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

That's pretty cool. Here's the titles I see up there without a current Criterion release:

a shitload of Zatoichi
a shitload of Chaplin (The Circus, City Lights, Gold Rush, Limelight, more)
a bunch of Korda
Hullabaloo Over Georgie and Bonnie's Pictures
I Was a Teenage Zombie
Obsession (1949)
The Ballad of the Sad Cafe
The Cars That Ate Paris
The Challenge (1938)
The Plumber
Things To Come

I dunno if I'd want to pay the subscription fee right now, but maybe somewhere down the road.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I went ahead and tried a few things out since I'm all excited. The 720p streaming looks really good, but it's not available on every film (I looked at Modern Times and Mala Noche). There weren't ads at the beginning of either, so maybe they haven't worked that out yet. It's obviously not a blu-ray replacement but a good resource for just checking out movies you were on the fence about. Hopefully it'll cut down on disappointing blind-buys.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

drat, I could've sworn Written on the Wind had a Blu-Ray. I have to hold off on the original now to wait. Man that movie's gonna look great in HD.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Hulu just added a boatload of Criterion flicks: http://www.hulu.com/criterion

But they all require the premium Hulu plus subscription. :(

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

mod sassinator posted:

Hulu just added a boatload of Criterion flicks: http://www.hulu.com/criterion

But they all require the premium Hulu plus subscription. :(

Yeah, this may have come up already.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

FitFortDanga posted:

I dunno if I'd want to pay the subscription fee right now, but maybe somewhere down the road.

Definitely down the road. They said they'll eventually have ~800 streaming Criterion movies and will slowly add the commentaries, but i still wish it meant 0 ads. I know it's only going to play before the movie but c'mon, if Netflix can do it then they should be able to.

Mu Zeta fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Feb 15, 2011

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Why would there be ads if you're already paying for the premium service?

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Hulu puts ads in everything (except their criterions). Hulu Plus just gives you access to more content + the ability to use Hulu on the PS3/other things.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

You've obviously not used an XBOX with a Gold account... loving ads everywhere.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Because the ads still pay for a hell of a lot more than a subscription does.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

zenintrude posted:

You've obviously not used an XBOX with a Gold account... loving ads everywhere.

Or cable television.

tickle monster
Aug 20, 2006
is in your closet

JohnWilkesGoonth posted:

Other highlights: Criterion has streaming rights to "over 800 movies", and they're going to start putting up the DVD supplements as well.

This is the best part of all this. It kills me that there are no supplements available when streaming from Netflix. If Hulu Plus allows audio commentary, sold.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Black unicorn... nothing comes to mind.

bmmello
Jul 11, 2002

Black Moon perhaps?

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

BLACK STALLION

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

bmmello posted:

Black Moon perhaps?

That'd make sense, Criterion loves Malle.

bmmello
Jul 11, 2002

FitFortDanga posted:

That'd make sense, Criterion loves Malle.

I like him very much too, but haven't seen that one. Have you?

I've been meaning to, though, as it was made with Sven Nykvist. It would also make sense for them to release as I don't believe there's a good DVD of it.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

bmmello posted:

Nope. I've seen all the ones Criterion released (except a couple of the Eclipse docs) and Atlantic City and that's it. It looks interesting. I like most of his stuff.

PateraOctopus
Oct 27, 2010

It's not enough to listen, it's not enough to see
When the hurricane is coming on, it's not enough to flee

bmmello posted:

Black Moon perhaps?

That's a good guess, and Malle is Criterion-y as hell, but their drawing looks really horse-y, and the one in Black Moon is definitely a donkey with a horn glued to its head. So, dunno what to make of that. I haven't got a better guess than that, unless Criterion plans on putting out "Blade Runner"...or Legend...

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

PateraOctopus posted:

That's a good guess, and Malle is Criterion-y as hell, but their drawing looks really horse-y, and the one in Black Moon is definitely a donkey with a horn glued to its head. So, dunno what to make of that.

I think the more important detail is that the unicorn is "mooning" us.

Jack Does Jihad
Jun 18, 2003

Yeah, this is just right. Has a nice feel, too.

bmmello posted:

I've been meaning to, though, as it was made with Sven Nykvist. It would also make sense for them to release as I don't believe there's a good DVD of it.

Black Moon owns. It's my favorite Malle film, and there are no other films in his filmography like it.

And it's definitely a donkey. So glad they're releasing Black Moon, even though it has a perfectly decent R2 release.

PateraOctopus
Oct 27, 2010

It's not enough to listen, it's not enough to see
When the hurricane is coming on, it's not enough to flee

FitFortDanga posted:

I think the more important detail is that the unicorn is "mooning" us.

Didn't even register that...

azechiel
Mar 16, 2009

Jack Does Jihad posted:

and there are no other films in his filmography like it.

That could be said about pretty much every movie in his filmography. He's like Danny Boyle, never tackling the same genre twice.

The Lucas
Dec 28, 2006

edit: nvm

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Mulvaney says: "We do hope to re-release [Brazil] on Blu-ray in 2011 or 2012 but don't have an exact date set, so please stay tuned!"

Neo_Reloaded
Feb 27, 2004
Something from Nothing

FitFortDanga posted:

Mulvaney says: "We do hope to re-release [Brazil] on Blu-ray in 2011 or 2012 but don't have an exact date set, so please stay tuned!"

Single best news I have ever heard.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Haha, no kidding.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

The stairs lead down in both directions.

That's funny. I'm currently in the process of making backups for my Criterions and I had just got to the point where Brazil was next in the list and I though "Nah, I'll just hold off and see if they plan to re-release it on BluRay." I decide to back up For All Mankind instead, check this thread, and sure enough there's the news. I must have a sixth sense about this kind of stuff.

azechiel
Mar 16, 2009
I think Brazil is the one movie I'll break my "no buying blu-rays of DVDs you already have" rule. Goddamnit, this'll be my third time buying it from Criterion.

Clothes Optional
Oct 3, 2004

azechiel posted:

I think Brazil is the one movie I'll break my "no buying blu-rays of DVDs you already have" rule. Goddamnit, this'll be my third time buying it from Criterion.

The Christ. What kind of rule is that?

gently caress I'm dying to see Ugetsu and Sansho The Bailiff on the ray.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daunte Vicknabb
Feb 22, 2005

You are already dead
Ok, I thought about posting in the identify thread but I figure this is a good place to ask first.

I watched some Criterion DVD, certainly in B/W and I believe British, but not positive. At some point, the main character, a male, stops at either a farm or a pastors house or something in the middle of the night. The man at the house is an actor who was in basically nothing else except for, I believe, another random Criterion that I also watched. I now cannot think of what either of these two movies is, but if my random testimony leads to even a few guesses I can probably figure out my problems. It's not an Eclipse box movie.

Pastor/farmer/something man has a wife. I believe in the DVD book his character is even titled "Pastor/farmer/something man".