Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Pontius Pilate posted:

No, he means Americans, because it's a perfectly acceptable term for US-specific people.

Yeah but its dumb. That's like saying European when you really mean someone from France. If you're talking about the United States, say the United States. Don't refer to the whole drat continent when you're really talking about one country.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DogDodger
Nov 19, 2006

Hellcat likes it rough.
Yeah, why refer to people from the only country with America in its name as Americans? It's nothing like calling French people Europeans actually.

Anyway, TT RS is getting closer to Americans' driveways. The final hp figure is still up in the air as either 340 or 360.

quote:

* Enhanced mag ride (standard) that sharpens throttle response, tightens steering and opens the exhaust in sport mode.
* Delete option available for the standard fixed rear spoiler.
* Perforated leather seat inserts exclusive to the RS, available in black or silver.
* Meatier, perforated leather steering wheel.
* Single trim level, with several packages and stand-alone options.
* Carbon fiber trim on the air intake plenum and oil filler surround.
* Exclusive RS colors still under consideration.
* Bright silver 19” wheels standard, titanium finish optional.
* Price in the low $60s (Audi is still working the numbers).
* Available this summer as a 2012 model.
* “Well under 1,000” to be imported, probably over two model years.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

Coredump posted:

Yeah but its dumb. That's like saying European when you really mean someone from France. If you're talking about the United States, say the United States. Don't refer to the whole drat continent when you're really talking about one country.

Dumb or not, everyone knows what he meant, which is all that really matters. What else would you call someone from the US, a "United States of American?"

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

Coredump posted:

No, because it's the United States of America so it has been a traditional way to call US citizens for quite a while now. Not like European from a specific European country. And plenty of those Europeans will call US citizens Americans. Yes, it can get kind of confusing but we are blessed with context.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Morphix posted:

Aaah, ya I can concede to that point. Just seems like US automakers level of laziness when compared to how much development seemingly goes into their other platforms. Least it's not spread through the whole product line I guess...

If it's not broken (and considering they still move them at their ridiculous price, it's not), don't fix it.

If Ford was selling Panther platform cars for over $100,000, they'd still be making them.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
I've never really understood the cupholder hate from so-called "driving purists." I mean, plenty of professional race drivers have hydration systems built into their cars. If it had a smoothie machine and burger warmer that would be ridiculous, but how is somewhere secure to put your water bottle so it doesn't fly around the cockpit under cornering and get stuck under your pedals really something that detracts from the 'purity' of the car? Even beyond the car's utility as an everyday practical mode of transportation, even if you're on the track or whatever you probably should be staying hydrated (Nomex and fear sweat makes you dehydrate like a bitch). It seems like an American euro-fetish thing just because a lot of euro imports didn't have them for a while (and now seem to design really willfully bad ones).

OXBALLS DOT COM fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Feb 15, 2011

heat
Sep 4, 2003

The Mad Monk
The cupholders in my Integra are just barely too small to hold a can of Arizona tea :mad:

awesome-express
Dec 30, 2008

My euro-spec e39 doesn't have any cupholders and is a manual. Trying to drink some water while driving is a huge pain in the rear end.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Coredump posted:

Hhmm yes okay next time I will instead write "but citizens of the United States of America am I right?

Get the gently caress over yourself.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Morphix posted:

Why dumb Americans? It's a luxury SUV, I'm not sure what 'image' it's supposed to be projecting that the Range Rover doesn't, they're both 'gently caress off I'm driving here' status mobiles with various levels of utility and comfort.

People keep saying this but in reality its nothing of the sort - its expensive but not supposed to be a luxury entry.

Also I doubt they've lost a single sale from the gaudy chrome trim, in fact I'll bet many of the same have come from the sheer vulgurness of it all.

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

DogDodger posted:

Yeah, why refer to people from the only country with America in its name as Americans? It's nothing like calling French people Europeans actually.

Anyway, TT RS is getting closer to Americans' driveways. The final hp figure is still up in the air as either 340 or 360.

Is this thing still going to be only available with DSG?
If so, that makes me sad.

(edit) I see in the article now that it says 'six-speed manual only.'
Ill wait and see if it actually shows up like that though. Hope so.

Franco Caution fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Feb 15, 2011

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.
Has anyone linked Chris Harris' epic anti-Ferrari rant yet?

http://jalopnik.com/!5760248

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Hhmm yes okay next time I will instead write "but citizens of the United States of America am I right?

Get the gently caress over yourself.

B..but Canadians are Americans too!! Maybe sometimes they don't want to get lumped in with US. Get it...US?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Dr JonboyG posted:

For Jalopnik links, if you use http://ca.jalopnik.com/, it displays as the old layout, so for example the Ferrari rant is http://ca.jalopnik.com/5760248

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan

awesome-express posted:

My euro-spec e39 doesn't have any cupholders and is a manual. Trying to drink some water while driving is a huge pain in the rear end.

Mine hasn't had working cupholders since like six months after I bought it. Such pieces of poo poo.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

InitialDave posted:

For Jalopnik links, if you use http://ca.jalopnik.com/, it displays as the old layout, so for example the Ferrari rant is http://ca.jalopnik.com/5760248

Thanks for that. I hate Jalopnik's new layout.

Personally, I've always wondered what would happen if every Ferrari owner whose car was less than 5 years old was suddenly trapped in their cars and burned to death. I posit a net improvement in the world. I am obviously quite biased, but every new Ferrari owner that I've ever met so far has been a right dickhead.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

oribiasi posted:

Nah, that car is safe. I test-drove the 2SS model a few months ago and it's slick but holds the road. I didn't push it to the limit but its no Corvair.

I meant because the windows are gun slits. Also a car being safe doesn't mean some asswipe won't throw it over a cliff doing a mad tyte doriftu

Imperador do Brasil fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Feb 16, 2011

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
He also says Miatas are poo poo, so I really don't know which car I should aspire to any more. :ohdear:

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
On a Chris Harris roll, he does a quick review the MP4:
http://www.evo.co.uk/carreviews/evocarreviews/263737/new_mclaren_mp412c_review.html
It's crazy that its suspension is designed with minimal sway bars. That must be the holy grail of independentness. No LSD!

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
There's a suspension walkaround here. It's surprising how simple the idea is - just a braided oil line going from the compression side of the left shock to the rebound side of the right, and vice versa (there's a controller in the middle but still) so I guess it should be no surprise that the QX56 also uses it. I think BMW also does something similar with the "active roll bar" on their 7 series?

The McLaren actually has a anti-anti-rollbar(pro-rollbar?) in the rear - to resist downforce without affecting roll. Some :science: poo poo.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Isn't the Z-bar something dirt track cars use to tune weight transfer?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Dr JonboyG posted:

Ferrari has gone truly mad.

I bet good old Enzo (cranky bastard that he was) is spinning wildly in his grave.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

kimbo305 posted:

On a Chris Harris roll, he does a quick review the MP4:
http://www.evo.co.uk/carreviews/evocarreviews/263737/new_mclaren_mp412c_review.html
It's crazy that its suspension is designed with minimal sway bars. That must be the holy grail of independentness. No LSD!

I don't know if I'm on ignore or something, but I posted that exact link on Monday. :(

Here are the other UK mags:

Car: http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/Drives/Search-Results/First-drives/McLaren-MP4-12C-supercar-CAR-review-2011/

http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/Drives/Search-Results/First-drives/McLaren-MP4-12C-watch-CARs-video-review-here/

Autocar: http://www.autocar.co.uk/CarReviews/FirstDrives/McLaren-MP4-12C-3.8-V8/255434/

Autocar video with Jenson Button: http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-video/mclaren-mp4-12c-driven-jenson-button-video/

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Dr JonboyG posted:

I don't know if I'm on ignore or something, but I posted that exact link on Monday. :(

Ah, sorry. I was tracking Evo coverage, and when you said embargoes were down, I thought that was referring to their last piece in their series. My bad for not even clicking on it, though.

ozziegt
Jul 8, 2005

cool under pressure

Throatwarbler posted:

There's a suspension walkaround here. It's surprising how simple the idea is - just a braided oil line going from the compression side of the left shock to the rebound side of the right, and vice versa (there's a controller in the middle but still) so I guess it should be no surprise that the QX56 also uses it. I think BMW also does something similar with the "active roll bar" on their 7 series?

Audi does this too in some cars but I think it goes from front right to rear left, and front left to rear right.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

As a Canadian, if something is referred to as "American" I'm going to assume you mean that bit between Canada and Mexico, and if you're incorrectly applying it to something Canadian, I'll politely correct you. And then I'll call you a oval office because I live in the UK.

Skyssx
Feb 2, 2001

by T. Fine

Linedance posted:

As a Canadian, if something is referred to as "American" I'm going to assume you mean that bit between Canada and Mexico, and if you're incorrectly applying it to something Canadian, I'll politely correct you. And then I'll call you a oval office because I live in the UK.

As an overly spergy Canadian living in the UK, the percentage needed to describe you is over 7 digits long, and therefore, pointless.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Skyssx posted:

As an overly spergy Canadian living in the UK, the percentage needed to describe you is over 7 digits long, and therefore, pointless.

is that really what people think of me? Overly spergy? Once I have gathered enough data and tabulated the results, I will be able to determine whether or not this upsets me.

DogDodger
Nov 19, 2006

Hellcat likes it rough.

ozziegt posted:

Audi does this too in some cars but I think it goes from front right to rear left, and front left to rear right.

And it leaks. :(

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
shut the hell up about this poo poo and post about new cars

Do you like (relatively)small trucks with big pushrod engines and vinyl bench seats? You're in luck!

http://blogs.insideline.com/straightline/2011/02/dodge-ram-code-name-adventurer-a-tradesman-with-20s.html

All for $24k.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
What in gods name kind of trucks do you deal with that those are considered small?

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

14 INCH DICK TURBO posted:

What in gods name kind of trucks do you deal with that those are considered small?

Most of the trucks around here are medium duty 4 doors, so a Ram 1500 regular cab is quite small by comparison.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

14 INCH DICK TURBO posted:

Conversely, what kind of trucks do you deal with that those engines are considered big?

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Well they're not new cars so they really don't count for this thread, but Rangers, Mighty Maxes, pretty much any actual, you know, small truck. I wouldn't have been caught off guard if you had used pretty much anything other than small to describe how ludicrously large new trucks are getting. Not trying to start a debate over why we've effectively killed the tiny truck market in America but come on, in no way shape or form are any of those anywhere close to being a small truck. Hell, the bed on the new F150 is practically up to my chest.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
Yeah I was gonna indignantly compare it to my old F100, but then realized that any short-bed, single-cab truck without even the jumper seats or anything is as close to "small" as we'll ever get. I don't know how anyone is supposed to actually put things into pickup beds these days.

sacre
Jan 26, 2007

Raluek posted:

Yeah I was gonna indignantly compare it to my old F100, but then realized that any short-bed, single-cab truck without even the jumper seats or anything is as close to "small" as we'll ever get. I don't know how anyone is supposed to actually put things into pickup beds these days.

Just buy a van...

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Short beds are so loving dumb.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Linedance posted:

What the hell? Canadians are Americans though. Just like the Germans are Europeans.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Coredump posted:

What the hell? Canadians are Americans though. Just like the Germans are Europeans.

Yeah, but English doesn't have a good demonym for the US, apart from American, unlike some other languages, so we just say American and derive the meaning from context.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

PT6A posted:

Yeah, but English doesn't have a good demonym for the US, apart from American, unlike some other languages, so we just say American and derive the meaning from context.

Yeah you're correct there. But what gets me is that folks from the US and Canada too I guess forget that other countries in the Americas can infact claim to be American, we don't own the term even though its used to refer to us most often in English speaking countries. From what I understand some spanish speaking people refer to people from the US as United Statesians in Spanish, estadounidense, rather than Americano.