Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
This burrito is delicious, but it is filling.
The Teacs are awesome machines, I own the big brother, the A-3340S, and I treat it well and in return it makes amazing recordings. Stock up on heads if you can find them and are using the machine a lot. The only reason I got a 3340 over the 2300 or 2340 is that I needed the 10.5" reel capacity and 15IPS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

I'm a fucking pain machine and if you even touch my fucking car I WILL FUCKING DESTROY YOU.
Yea wanted a reel as I'd never played with one, going to clean and fix both up (m-10 needs it) and trade for store credit to a local place.

edit- it looks like the M-10 can do 10" reels with an adapter. Couple of the tapes seem to not ride the pinch roller right, slinging off to one side, the teac manual says its just because its a bad or warped tape.

Not an Anthem fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Feb 14, 2011

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
It's possible your reel table is misaligned. Do the reel flanges rub against the machine?

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

I'm cleaning out the house, so I threw my Allied 333 receiver on eBay if anyone's interested. It's got a ton of watchers, but nobody's broken the ice yet.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290534292618&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

I'm a fucking pain machine and if you even touch my fucking car I WILL FUCKING DESTROY YOU.

Ron Burgundy posted:

It's possible your reel table is misaligned. Do the reel flanges rub against the machine?

No, most tapes play fine, just 2 don't. Is that a weird thing to happen? I think its the pinch roller, the guy (orig owner) said it has a lot more play than it used to. Saw online that cleaning/oiling things clears that up.

If I want to demag the heads is it ridiculous to bring it into a stereo repair place that has demagnetizers and ask them to do just that?

Not an Anthem fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Feb 15, 2011

Owsla
Aug 31, 2003

Where are my bitches?
Has anyone seen TDK's new turntable?

The yellow bars in the second picture are a graphic EQ that's hidden below the plinth surface, only appearing when music is playing.

Everything is aluminum/acrylic/leather (leather = the dust cover, I dig it personally) and it takes a standard cartridge.

Here's a lovely video Wired did on it at CES.

Amazon has two models on pre-sale right now, one with USB out and a built in pre for $400 and one without either feature for $300.

Everything I've seen in the press so far mentions the built-in pre-amp and USB out as big selling points, to me those are pretty undesirable features honestly as I'd rather use my existing pre-amp and don't plan on transferring vinyl to mp3 ever. Luckily the version without either feature is $100 less.

There's a pretty negative review on Amazon from an early tester but frankly she sounds retarded and none of the issues mentioned would take me more than 10 minutes to sort. Barring some sort of horrible revelation about the quality of this thing I'm grabbing one asap when they go on sale in March and throwing a Shure m97xe on it : )

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005

Not an Anthem posted:

If I want to demag the heads is it ridiculous to bring it into a stereo repair place that has demagnetizers and ask them to do just that?

I'd actually recommend you had someone show you the first time, as it is quite easy to permanently destroy your heads if you do it wrong.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

Owsla posted:

Everything I've seen in the press so far mentions the built-in pre-amp and USB out as big selling points, to me those are pretty undesirable features honestly as I'd rather use my existing pre-amp and don't plan on transferring vinyl to mp3 ever. Luckily the version without either feature is $100 less.

It's probably unfair to call either of these "undesirable" features unless they actually interfere with sound quality -- they're just features that you don't have much use for and wouldn't pay extra for.

I don't have a pre-amp (fortunately, by woefully out of date bookshelf system amplifies through the Video input) and, while I don't really plan to rip vinyl to MP3, this thing pretty much looks like sex in my eyes. Good looking out.

Owsla
Aug 31, 2003

Where are my bitches?
Fair point about calling them undesirable features although I'm assuming better sound is possible with the bring your own pre-amp route. Regardless, it is nice to have the cheaper version offered.

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

The leather "dustcover" looks like crap, as does the gold tinted aluminum. Equalizer.. really? The fact that they don't publish any specs on it is really suspect, or dumb? RB, thanks for the tip.

Owsla
Aug 31, 2003

Where are my bitches?
To each their own on the looks I guess.

As far as the specs, at this price point I don't expect greatness but I agree, I'd like to see them published before I were to buy. Considering there are only maybe 10 of my 400 or so records that I'd actually consider 'great' sounding, I've more or less decided I want something that will spin at a steady speed and accept a good cartridge while looking awesome on my desk.

It feels terrible to actually type that out but I'm not alone by any stretch, look at the Pro-Ject Debut III (along with just about every other sub $2000 belt drive) - absolutely terrible specs and people can't stop buying and recommending them.

Ghumbs
Jan 1, 2006

Sub-$2k tables have bad specs? In which sense? No blinky EQ?

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.
I've been asked to look at an old Tandberg reel to reel recorder that's broken. I don't know the model number or any additional fault symptoms aside from the reels not turning.

Anyone have some tips as to what's likely to fail? Obviously belts and other mechanical parts are pretty likely, but surely someone makes repair-kits for that.

Do things like the drive electronics or other parts tend to fail in reel to reel recorders?

unlock
Oct 23, 2008

by T. Finn

QPZIL posted:

Problem is I don't really show off my collection, I just like being able to browse through it easier, and hold everything closer to my turntable. But that's just me \/:)\/

Why don't you go gently caress yourself

Owsla
Aug 31, 2003

Where are my bitches?

Ghumbs posted:

Sub-$2k tables have bad specs? In which sense? No blinky EQ?

Yup, no blinky eq :hurr:

How about this, show me a decent priced belt drive table with wow and flutter and signal to noise ratio that compares favorably to a technics 1200/1210.

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
The newer photos of the TDK table look pretty good. Adjustable counterweight, and it looks like an anti-skate dial in the plinth. The $300 dollar model is in a similar price range to those awful 3 in one cd recorder nightmares.
As always the best value/quality is second hand vintage, but for the general public who NEED something new, this is a very nice offering.

Also you are spot on Owsla. You cannot come close to the 1200 at anywhere near the price.

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

longview posted:

but surely someone makes repair-kits for that.

Terry's rubbers for rubber rollers and you can get belts online. I'm working on my first reel to reel repair and it involves cleaning out a lot of bullshit.

Ghumbs
Jan 1, 2006

Owsla posted:

Yup, no blinky eq :hurr:

How about this, show me a decent priced belt drive table with wow and flutter and signal to noise ratio that compares favorably to a technics 1200/1210.

A Pro-Ject RM5 with a Speed Box (my setup) would come close. But keep in mind wow/flutter and s/n are two big specs, but they aren't the entire picture. The PRo-Ject 9c tonearm and certainly Rega tonearms better the Technics. It's not entirely fair to compare it with the Debut III since it's hundreds less than the Technics.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

unlock posted:

Why don't you go gently caress yourself

Just so you know... the post you're replying to is almost two years old.

Bensa
Aug 21, 2007

Loyal 'til the end.
My Beocenter 1800 seems to have given up for now, its almost 40 years old so going for that long without any maintenance is pretty good. The right channel starts howling after a couple of seconds of being on. I'm guessing there's a short, but due to it not being immediate it seems like its caused by heat expansion. Its hard to search for any similar cases since everyone just assumes it to be feedback, which it is in most cases.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

I'm in need of a receiver for my Rega P1 and I was thinking about going the vintage route. What models should I be looking for on eBay? I'd only like to drop $200 or less. Is the Pioneer SX-550 any good?

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Feb 20, 2011

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Finally got my turntable set up, it's an old-rear end Pioneer PL-10 that I got for free several years back. It's from around 1975 and I've no idea if it is meant to be good. It does play rather nicely though.

It looks like this:

Dankness
Nov 26, 2003

Martie is a pimp.
I mentioned in a previous post that I've got a Pro-Ject Debut III that's been a willing servent and I was looking to purchase some upgrades for it. I've decided to pass and attempt to sell it and get something else. Wanted to see what you guys thought.

I've noticed a wobble on both the platter and the spindle that the platter sits on. This wobble is horribly noticeable on all heavy vinyl. So far I don't know how to tell if there is a difference in the sound because I don't have another turntable and my friend's configurations are so different than mine.

I researched the issue online and saw some people complaining about a bearing issue. Didn't see anything about a potential repair. Did I make the wrong decision putting it on craigslist?

Paperweight
Jan 17, 2007
Am I doing this right?
My friend's Pro-Ject Debut III was the same way. The platter sits on a plastic subplatter. A pretty basic design that Rega also uses. The platter itself is fairly consistantly flat moreso than the subplatter. I removed the platter and observed the subplatter as it spins in a circle. One spot or another will inevitably be higher than the rest. I took a file and worked it down flat, rechecking it often. Removing the hump helped quite a bit. The plastic marks easily with a pencil or Sharpie. Sometimes having the platter on top can help locate the high spot as it spins.

The acrylic platter and Speed Box are nice upgrades for the Pro-Ject table. I have a Rega P2 I upgraded with a Mitchell TecnoWeight, Groovetracer machined steel subplatter and acrylic platter. I have a strong urge to upgrade to an open box or demo P5 table. I've seen them for less than $1k but they go fast. The upgrades I can transfer over without a hassle. I want to try out an Ortofon 2M Bronze or Black and Rega's power supply upgrade.

Found a really neat used vinyl shop in Greensboro, NC called Remember When Records. Friend stopped by there Saturday. He said the owner is as anal as me lol. He cleans, grades and resleeves his records and sells nothing less than very good condition. I'll probably stop by there this weekend to check it out and make some purchases, finances permitting.

Edit: I think the problem pops up from trying to put a steel rod through a molded plastic part. It would probably require the factory to check how true and square everything is and shave and balance the plastic subplatter. It's a budget table so that was skipped for economic reasons.

Paperweight fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Mar 3, 2011

Dankness
Nov 26, 2003

Martie is a pimp.

Paperweight posted:

My friend's Pro-Ject Debut III was the same way. The platter sits on a plastic subplatter. A pretty basic design that Rega also uses. The platter itself is fairly consistantly flat moreso than the subplatter. I removed the platter and observed the subplatter as it spins in a circle. One spot or another will inevitably be higher than the rest. I took a file and worked it down flat, rechecking it often. Removing the hump helped quite a bit. The plastic marks easily with a pencil or Sharpie. Sometimes having the platter on top can help locate the high spot as it spins.

So in this case it was the subplatter that was the issue. Interesting. I'll have to reverify sometime to see if the subplatter is also the problem on mine. Would be nice to see it closer to normal. Might not feel so bad about ditching it on craigslist!

Owsla
Aug 31, 2003

Where are my bitches?
I saw this on eBay and couldn't help myself. I love this generation of Pioneer gear, I'm on the hunt for a nice SX-750 or SX-850 receiver now.

It's a Pioneer PL-550, one step down from the top of the line in 1976, the PL-570. The only difference between the two is the lack of automatic return on mine (probably better, less things to break really)

It's a quartz locked direct drive with adjustable VTA. I've heard the Denon DL-110 and 160 pair very nicely with this one, despite it's tonearm shape/weight shortcomings.

Not my table but same model showing the nice tonearm adjustments

It will need a gentle overall cleaning and some light metal polish on the control panel bases. I'll probably attempt to restore the dust cover with my buffer but may resort to buying a new one from the eBay guy that sells new replacements for every dust cover ever.

I'm also considering tearing it down to the bare mdf cabinet and putting on a new covering of nice walnut veneer, it worked out really well and was easier than I ever would have thought when I put it on my DIY speakers.

Anyone have any experience with this family of tables? I've found a few threads on other sites and everyone seems to be very positive about them.

Ghumbs
Jan 1, 2006

Owsla posted:

I saw this on eBay and couldn't help myself. I love this generation of Pioneer gear, I'm on the hunt for a nice SX-750 or SX-850 receiver now.

It's a Pioneer PL-550, one step down from the top of the line in 1976, the PL-570. The only difference between the two is the lack of automatic return on mine (probably better, less things to break really)

It's a quartz locked direct drive with adjustable VTA. I've heard the Denon DL-110 and 160 pair very nicely with this one, despite it's tonearm shape/weight shortcomings.

It will need a gentle overall cleaning and some light metal polish on the control panel bases. I'll probably attempt to restore the dust cover with my buffer but may resort to buying a new one from the eBay guy that sells new replacements for every dust cover ever.

I'm also considering tearing it down to the bare mdf cabinet and putting on a new covering of nice walnut veneer, it worked out really well and was easier than I ever would have thought when I put it on my DIY speakers.

Anyone have any experience with this family of tables? I've found a few threads on other sites and everyone seems to be very positive about them.
Nice looking table. You mentioned building some speakers. What type?

Owsla
Aug 31, 2003

Where are my bitches?

Ghumbs posted:

Nice looking table. You mentioned building some speakers. What type?

Thanks. I made some silk dome Microbes from the DIY speaker thread on here.

I used a much thicker red oak veneer by a company called Band-It on the speakers compared to what I plan to use on the table. While it's avaiable conveniently at the Lowes down the road, Band-It only has red oak and birch from what I can find and I really want to use walunt on the table. I like that the walnut stuff I linked to is so thin (1/42") too, it should help avoid any issues with the platter scraping the base while it rotates.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Owsla posted:

Good god, I thought I would never see this turntable ever again. When I was about 10 years old, I was really into listening to records, whether it be dadrock or my own personal collection of records I'd buy at the swap meet and yard sales. I bought this same exact model for $10 at the swap meet about a year later because I thought it looked "neat" and also thought it was something more than just an ordinary record player. I'd put a new Audio Technica needle on it by recommendation of the guy at Radio Shack (whoda thunk it?), and man, that record player sounded sweet. Then it developed a short in one of the channels a few years later, and instead of fixing the problem, I simply gave the player away to Goodwill. I was about 15 and didn't know any better. This was also before the internet as we know it today, so I definitely didn't know any better.

Going by my memories of that sweet machine, you've got yourself a quality sex machine there, Owsla. Makes me wanna eBay that same model and relive the memory of dropping the needle to Rubber Soul coming out of my old Fisher 15" speakers.

Owsla
Aug 31, 2003

Where are my bitches?
Nice, very cool story. You should try to pick one up, they're regularly on eBay for under $300 shipped. I paid $190 shipped for mine but it's going to need some work cosmetically to be perfect in my eyes.

When I veneer the base it's going to cover the model info and company logo etc. I found the font they used on these older components and a vector file of their old company logo and I plan to print them out on water slide transfer paper (think model airplane decals) and put them on the new veneer before clearing and polishing it.

Aside from the make/model/logo, the 'UP' and 'DOWN' lettering is starting to wear off the tone arm lift control panel:

I've got it all laid out in Illustrator, just have to wait till the table gets here to measure the current lettering and adjust the scale/kerning etc for printing:

Owsla fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Feb 24, 2011

Owsla
Aug 31, 2003

Where are my bitches?
I got the table last night and it looks way better than it did in the auction pictures, the combination of the harsh flash and a crap camera didn't do the table justice.

I just sold my Technics 1210 a couple weeks back (someone offered me way too much for it) but I kept a spare headshell with a brand new Shure m97 cart installed. Well I put that headshell on the new table last night and did a quicky alignment, it sounds incredible. I love this thing :)

As much as I was having fun planning the restoration I'm probably going to leave well enough alone. I was able to repair one of the issues with the veneer already and plan to fix the final one over the weekend with a dab of wood glue and some light clamping. Hell, it looks incredibly close to new the way it sits now and functions perfectly, no real need to tempt fate here taking it down to nothing to put new veneer and decals on etc.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I just bought three old record players for 45 euros: a Perpetuum-Ebner 2001, a Garrard SP 25 Mark IV, and a Dual 1218. I haven't really gotten around to testing the other two yet but I managed to hook the Dual up to an old Luxor receiver and I was pretty pleased with the sound that came out - no wobble or rumble or anything. The cart and needle seem to be in pretty good condition as well (Dual DMS210 / DN211). It basically looks like this (only cleaner):

I'm pretty confident after looking at the insides that a good cleaning and lubricating the automatic mechanism (which doesn't work but nothing seems to be broken according to schematics) will make this a great system for playing those not-so-pristine singles and LP's I've accumulated.

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

Cool tables Jerry

Owsla
Aug 31, 2003

Where are my bitches?
Hell yeah, incredible deal.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Owsla posted:

Hell yeah, incredible deal.

They were basically sold as scrap (pretty expensive scrap if you ask me - but I'm not complaining) because they hadn't been checked by an electrician. As far as I can tell there aren't any problems with the electric parts in any of the three turntables (the insulation, wiring, and solders seem OK) so it should be just a matter of changing the DIN-plugs for RCA and going over the clockwork for the automatic function. They might not be hi-fi turntables by today's standards but they sure look nice.

P.S. Gotta love vinylengine.com - it's a gold mine of info on old systems and cartridges.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Just got a Technics SL-BD3 for 30 €. I seem to have a knack for finding deals on mediocre record players. I don't much care for belt-driven TT's but it doesn't seem too bad and it's in good condition. The only problem is that it uses P-mount cartridges which I'm not familiar with. Are all P-mounts supposed to have the same specifications - i.e. can I just put in any old cart and it will do? The Technics cartridge it has now needs a new stylus but I was thinking of getting a Shure M92E because it's relatively cheap and it comes with a ½" adapter so I could use it on other TT's as well.

Paperweight
Jan 17, 2007
Am I doing this right?
Finally found a demo Rega P5 from a guy in New York. Also comes with a Rega Exact cartridge installed. I kind of feel like an idiot buying a turntable worth several times the receiver and speakers in my current system. I plan on building a really good phono preamp at least. I need to get the speakers off the floor and onto some stands. Records are all I've listened to in the past few months. I may give this CD player to my dad if he wants it.

Come to find out I can't use the Groovetracer platter with the P5 since it hangs down 2mm too low. Owner of Groovetracer offered to machine it down for $25 and shipping both ways. The subplatter and counterweight will be the first thing I change after I give it a quick listen out of the box. I still need to get a Rega turntable power supply to go with this.

Edit: Got the P5 in today. It's freakin beautiful and sounds great without any upgrades. The Rega Exact cartridge does vocals extremely well and seems to have a fairly high output.

http://www.npr.org/2011/03/05/134256592/whatever-happened-to-the-audiophile&sc=fb&cc=fp Neat story.

Edit: Trying it out with the Groovetracer subplatter installed and one of the Rega white drive belts. Couldn't get the counterweight stub off the end of the RB-700 to try the TecnoWeight. Probably just as well. The stock counterweight looks to be pretty well made. Stripping the threads, marring the stock endstub and damaging the bearings are not on the agenda today. I think I may need to increase the tracking force. It seems to have a bit more sibilance than I care for. A tenth of a gram more seems to have solved it.

VVVV That's what I'm talking about. That is nice.

Paperweight fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Mar 7, 2011

Bass Ackwards
Nov 14, 2003

Anything can be used as a hammer if you try hard enough.
I built an LM3875 Gainclone.

Rather, I started building it 5 years ago and only got around to finishing it a few weeks ago.

Nude:

Encased:

Really, everything they say about these is true - They sound stunning, and even more so considering the cost.

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

Metaxus, how much did you spend and whered you get plans?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paperweight
Jan 17, 2007
Am I doing this right?
http://www.chipamp.com/ Offers the lower powered chip amp kits.

http://www.audiosector.com/ These are up to 50 or 60 watts.

At one time, I wanted to build an amp based on a LM4780 in mono for 120 watts. The heatsink would have to be 4 times the size of one used for a 60 watt single chip. Even then, you'd probably still have to use a fan.

The really neat thing is the protection circuitry built into the chip. You'd really have to try to screw them up. You can use a slightly undersized heatsink as long as you keep the volume down. The one guy uses a bar of copper as a heatsink in his commercially sold 40 watt amp.

Most recent stereo and surround receivers use class D chips just like these. The sound quality is pretty drat good.