Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

punchdaily
Nov 8, 2010
Dragon Quest games are the only games I don't feel particularly bad about cheating during. While I beat 3,4,8 and 9 fair and square, I ran out of patience in the cloud castle boss and just game sharked it. I did the same for 5 because I had a bunch of other games to get to. I kind of regret it now, because it's a totally brilliant way to set up an RPG, and it probably wouldn't even seem that hard to me now, but man, I just wasn't in the mood to grind after a certain point.

7 was just a pain in the rear end after a point. I only used it to level up classes, and maybe levels, but even then. I did like the monster zoo and populating the town. And the way that one was set up. I'd love it if they rereleased it on the 3DS or something similarly handheld.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

:dukedog:

“punchdaily” posted:

7 was just a pain in the rear end after a point. I only used it to level up classes, and maybe levels, but even then. I did like the monster zoo and populating the town. And the way that one was set up. I'd love it if they rereleased it on the 3DS or something similarly handheld.

7 seems ripe for a 3DS re-release now that the game carts have more memory.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Terpfen posted:

7 seems ripe for a 3DS re-release now that the game carts have more memory.

This is pretty much the only thing that would convince me to buy a 3DS (right now, at least).

goldjas
Feb 22, 2009

I HATE ALL FORMS OF FUN AND ENTERTAINMENT. I HATE BEAUTY. I AM GOLDJAS.
The over-reliance on metal slime grinding and effectively having to use some sort of guide has always been an annoying part of the DQ games for me I'll admit. You'll never find all the tiny medals if you don't use a guide, and you generally will need the tiny medal reward items to beat most of the DQ games due to them all being fairly difficult. I know people say they've beaten like DQ 8 and 9 without stopping to metal grind...but I couldn't pull it off.

I don't think I had to metal grind in the remakes of 4 and 5 at least, or it wasn't that bad since I don't remember doing it (but I do remember having to do it in the originial versions of 4 and 5). Hopefully the remake of 6 will be like that as well.

DW/DQ2 is probably one of the hardest RPGs ever made actually. That cave leading to the snow area before the final area was just loving nuts.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

goldjas posted:

I know people say they've beaten like DQ 8 and 9 without stopping to metal grind...but I couldn't pull it off.

I beat DQ8 without metal-grinding, but I did do a fair bit of regular grinding throughout because I'm a sperlord and had to fully upgrade all my people at every new town. I also skipped the optional bosses, which I know you have to metal-grind for.

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

goldjas posted:

That cave leading to the snow area before the final area was just loving nuts.

I honestly have no loving idea how I did that, especially without save states.

Agnostic watermelon
Jul 1, 2009

I'm a lil' Brony!

Ornamented Death posted:

This is pretty much the only thing that would convince me to buy a 3DS (right now, at least).

If you don't think SE is going to flood the 3DS with DQ and FF stuff you're crazy.

[e] Was anyone able to find a copy 6 yet?

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion

goldjas posted:

The over-reliance on metal slime grinding and effectively having to use some sort of guide has always been an annoying part of the DQ games for me I'll admit. You'll never find all the tiny medals if you don't use a guide, and you generally will need the tiny medal reward items to beat most of the DQ games due to them all being fairly difficult. I know people say they've beaten like DQ 8 and 9 without stopping to metal grind...but I couldn't pull it off.

I don't think I had to metal grind in the remakes of 4 and 5 at least, or it wasn't that bad since I don't remember doing it (but I do remember having to do it in the originial versions of 4 and 5). Hopefully the remake of 6 will be like that as well.

DW/DQ2 is probably one of the hardest RPGs ever made actually. That cave leading to the snow area before the final area was just loving nuts.

I like Metal Slime grinding, I'm not exactly sure why v:shobon:v. Maybe I'm a sucker for large XP numbers.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever
Yeah, I finally got 6 today. Kind of ridiculous that Gamestop didn't have it until two days after release, but that doesn't matter now.

While I like the graphics of the DS remakes, it's kind of too bad that they didn't keep the original SNES graphics. It's been a while since I played it, but I remember it being pretty good-looking, about on par with Chrono Trigger.

I'd forgotten how good the music was. The town theme is so drat cheerful. Party Chat should be fun, too, once some folks join the team.

e: I like metal grinding because it feels more rewarding to get big chunks of EXP after patiently hunting them, rather than gradually levelling the normal way.

Metals are kind of bad for DQ6 and 7, though. You want to focus more on grinding up your classes instead of your levels.

Mountaineer fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Feb 16, 2011

SereneCrimson
Oct 10, 2007

I am the morning sun, come to vanquish this horrible night!

Agnostic watermelon posted:

After calling a couple places (who were pretty sure the game didn't even exist), I found a copy at this tiny little game shop in a shopping plaza.

And y'know what? :colbert: I have beef with the packaging.

DQ4 - Sword for a T, little graphic with logo
DQ5 - Sword for a T, little graphic with logo
DQ6 - No sword for a T, no graphics with logo
DQ9 - No sword for a T, little graphic with logo

DQ 4 & 5 - White spine with coloured "Dragon Quest #" and tiny subtitle
DQ 6 & 9 - Black spine with white "Dragon Quest #" and tiny subtitle.

Nintendo! :argh: why did you copy the designs from DQ9? Now it's not consistent with the other 2 Zenethia titles.
(And Honestly, Nintendo of Canada, is that giant "Jouez en Francais" tag really necessary?)

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!
The subtitles annoy me. :mad:

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

LooseChanj posted:

The subtitles annoy me. :mad:

Yeah, they are kind of dumb. "Realms of Revelation" in particular sounds kind of cheesy, and isn't not a really good translation either, as is 4's subtitle. I can see they're going for a "(Word with same starting letter) of (Word with Same starting letter)" thing but it just comes across as forced.

If only I didn't have such a backlog of games to clear out I'd snatch up DS 6 in a minute though, if only for nostalgia--I played the hell out of that game with my roommate in college. It's easily the best in the series IMO. (Haven't played 9 yet though)

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Genpei Turtle posted:

If only I didn't have such a backlog of games to clear out I'd snatch up DS 6 in a minute though, if only for nostalgia--I played the hell out of that game with my roommate in college. It's easily the best in the series IMO. (Haven't played 9 yet though)

Hey cool I'm not the only one who gets all nostalgic for 6. I have a feeling I'm probably going to be let down a little replaying it in this release, but I'm still gonna end up blazing through this even if it's not living up to old memories.

(I can kind of see how 5 got so much praise now that I play them as an adult, though. Daaaaaamn.)

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

I love the Dragon Quest series. I owned a copy of Dragon Warrior was a wee lad and never was able to make it very far. I remember finding the concept of being alone in the game world somewhat frightening, as I was used to playing Final Fantasy on the NES where I had a party of companions. I never ended up beating it until I bought Dragon Warrior 1+2 for the gameboy color years later. I've still never played the original versions of 2-4, but I'd really like to get my hands on the NES carts someday soon.

I played the remake of 4 on the DS and loved it, and I'm about halfway through the remake of 5 now. I made the mistake of waiting to pick up 5DS and ended up not being able to find it for nearly a year, so I went ahead and ordered 6DS and should have it arriving tomorrow. I'm going to wait until I finish 5, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't insanely excited to jump right into it. The DS translations have so much charm to them, and I love the world setup. Not to mention visiting some of the same places in 5 as I did in 4 (like retrieving the mirror that reveals true form in both games was awesome). I own 7-9, but I never put a lot of time into 7 or 8. I'd like to go back and tackle them during the Summer lull and see what I've been missing out on. 9 is fantastic, though, and I would highly recommend it. It doesn't have the same retro charm as the Zenethia Trilogy remakes do, but it is a fantastic game in its own right.

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

Genpei Turtle posted:

I can see they're going for a "(Word with same starting letter) of (Word with Same starting letter)" thing but it just comes across as forced.

:aaaaa: I did not notice that for some reason! I thought that DQ4's "Chapters of the Chosen" was a great subtitle, but i'd have to agree with the others.

I just got DQ6(no slimes available :( should've gone to rich part of town where I got Slime shirt and poster for DQ9) and tried playing it last night... Then I got called into work soon after. Hope I have more time tonight!

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."
I tried to find Dragon Quest 6 on Monday, thinking that was the release date, but no stores had it. Some of the Gamestops I went to said they're not likely getting in any copies due to an apparent low print run, and a Game Trader nearby said that the game is likely to be one of the rarest DS games. I still haven't been able to track down a copy in Central Florida.

Is it true DQ6 is going to have a very low print run? :(

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

Alpha Kenny Juan posted:

:aaaaa: I did not notice that for some reason! I thought that DQ4's "Chapters of the Chosen" was a great subtitle, but i'd have to agree with the others.

I just got DQ6(no slimes available :( should've gone to rich part of town where I got Slime shirt and poster for DQ9) and tried playing it last night... Then I got called into work soon after. Hope I have more time tonight!

I don't know how much you care, but if you got it from Gamestop/EB Games you are guaranteed your pre-order item as long as you didn't pre-order at the last minute. The reason they always end up "accidentally" short is because they give them to friends, take them for themselves or give them out to people to buy a copy off the shelf. If you call the district manager and file a complaint with him, he will have a slime plush to you ASAP.

Captain Vittles
Feb 12, 2008

I'm not a nerd! I'm a video game enthusiast.

goldjas posted:

I finished DQ3 GBC, DQ4 DS, DQ5 DS, DQ8 and DQ9 without ever consulting a FAQ or walkthrough and easily managed to find enough medals to get all the rewards. Almost all the games with a "find X, get reward 1; find Y more, get reward 2; etc" models offer ~10 more medals than you need to get all the items, so if you miss a few it's no big deal. The reward items are also most definitely not necessary to finish, but I will definitely agree the games are much grindier without the fancy-rear end high level items. I will also admit I consulted FAQs when possible for DW7, because that game got too drat annoying after umpteen hours of grinding for job levels and rare hearts and whatnot.

And yes, DW2's Cave to Rhone is an absolute loving evil nightmare hell. I remember once getting within sight of the exit when I was ambushed by Attack Bots and slaughtered. I loved DW2, but that game was very unfair at points.

DQ6 is a total blast, though gameplay-wise I've been spoiled by DQ9. I miss being able to use the stylus for everything and I miss the far more intuitive inventory control. I'm happy to have party chat again, though, as there's some funny stuff that comes out of your allies from time to time. I'm close to unlocking Alltrades Abbey; I can't wait to get all :spergin: over my job choices.

EDIT:

Syrg Sapphire posted:

(I can kind of see how 5 got so much praise now that I play them as an adult, though. Daaaaaamn.)

This is exactly how I feel about 5. The Super Famicom version was kinda meh to me; it still had a lot of the great DQ fun I remembered from the NES games, but it felt like it didn't transition to the 'next gen' console as smoothly as the Final Fantasy games did. The remake fixed some of the bothersome things (like only 3 active party members, bah!) and allowed the game to really shine.

Captain Vittles fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Feb 16, 2011

ALL YOUR BASE
Nov 3, 2002

:smugdog:

spacebard
Jan 1, 2007

Football~

Genpei Turtle posted:

Yeah, they are kind of dumb. "Realms of Revelation" in particular sounds kind of cheesy, and isn't not a really good translation either,

...And it was originally going to be "Realms of Reverie", which is a drat good sub-title. However, Revelation actually fits plot-wise.

:words: Explanation: The characters have a revelation about the realm that's referred to as "Realms of Revelation". However, the term is used by residents of the world above to describe the world below, in which case makes "Revelation" not make any sense whatsoever as those residents have no idea as to the truth. Realms of Reverie, or in the case of the DS fan translation, The Trancing Tracts, explains this better since nobody can see residents of the world above they think the world below is entrancing, dream-like, or a holodeck.

:toot: Bought DQ6 today at Target. Plenty of copies.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

spacebard posted:

...And it was originally going to be "Realms of Reverie", which is a drat good sub-title. However, Revelation actually fits plot-wise.

In the original Japanese version, that place (and the subtitle) was "Maboroshi no Daichi" which roughly translates as "the land of illusion." The spoiler part of your post makes it sound like they translated "Illusion" as "Revelation" in the game in a hamfisted attempt to make the subtitle make more sense, TBH.

You're right that "Realms of Reverie" is in fact a much more apt name, but (large spoiler) it's too much of a spoiler because the land in question is literally created from the dreams of the people in the real world.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Armitage posted:

Is it true DQ6 is going to have a very low print run? :(

It's kind of up in the air unless someone has harder facts. I know DQ5 got a tiny run since DQ4 didn't sell so hot, but they changed publishers (from Square to Nintendo) and I don't know if they're operating on "DQ5 didn't sell too hot" logic or "DQ9 was a good job, let's keep pushing the brand".

FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!

SereneCrimson posted:

DQ 4 & 5 - White spine with coloured "Dragon Quest #" and tiny subtitle
DQ 6 & 9 - Black spine with white "Dragon Quest #" and tiny subtitle.

My OCD dreams of a trifecta of symmetry, RUINED! :argh:

Oh well, I'm still getting this just as soon as I can.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Syrg Sapphire posted:

It's kind of up in the air unless someone has harder facts. I know DQ5 got a tiny run since DQ4 didn't sell so hot, but they changed publishers (from Square to Nintendo) and I don't know if they're operating on "DQ5 didn't sell too hot" logic or "DQ9 was a good job, let's keep pushing the brand".

What's the point of spending a small fortune on translation and other localization issues only to make a small run?

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Saoshyant posted:

What's the point of spending a small fortune on translation and other localization issues only to make a small run?

They wanna hit as close to the mark as possible. If they print 500,000 copies and sell 250,000 right away but then it takes another 2 years to sell off the rest, then they'd rather have printed 300,000 and it taken 6 months to get rid of the excess. Completely made up numbers btw.

e: upon further wiki research it looks like I overestimated. The DS version of DQ5 may have sold as low as 80,000 units in NA. Anyways, same principle regardless.

e2: I guess I'll just link this source I'm looking at. http://www.dragon-quest.org/dqde/wiki//index.php?title=Worldwide_Dragon_Quest_Sales
It's kind of amazing that they even bother with English versions as the NA and Europe combined sales are less than 7% overall.

MMF Freeway fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Feb 17, 2011

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

Also localization doesn't cost nearly as much when no voice-recording work is required.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

SpermyShermy posted:

Also localization doesn't cost nearly as much when no voice-recording work is required.

This. Even good localizers won't make a whole ton of money on one project, and if you threw, say, Robin and myself at one of these games the total cost for the actual text translation would be well in the lower five figures. Voicework takes up a TON of the budget in modern game translation.

Anyway, re: 2, I think part of the reason 2 doesn't get much love these days is because... well, it's been outdone. Its own franchise outdid it almost immediately with 3 and 4, and a bunch of competing RPGs of the era also outdid it in terms of scope and playability. It wasn't the first title so it wasn't "groundbreaking", and it didn't really innovate in the same way later titles would. It was big in its time, but it's clear these days it was just a stepping stone game, and frankly it's a clunky play today.

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

Agrias120 posted:

I don't know how much you care, but if you got it from Gamestop/EB Games you are guaranteed your pre-order item as long as you didn't pre-order at the last minute.

And this is the group I fall under.
:negative:

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

OFF MY MEDS AGAIN PLEASE DON'T USE BIG WORDS

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK

SpaceDrake posted:

Anyway, re: 2, I think part of the reason 2 doesn't get much love these days is because... well, it's been outdone. Its own franchise outdid it almost immediately with 3 and 4, and a bunch of competing RPGs of the era also outdid it in terms of scope and playability. It wasn't the first title so it wasn't "groundbreaking", and it didn't really innovate in the same way later titles would. It was big in its time, but it's clear these days it was just a stepping stone game, and frankly it's a clunky play today.

I remember getting DQ 2 back in the NES days. Graphically it seemed like a downgrade from 1, and seriously ugly when compared to stuff like Final Fantasy, Phantasy Star, and some C64 RPGs.

Graphics were never Dragon Quest's strong suit. Nintendo apparently polished the hell out of the first one. Only to have to give it away.

Nintendo is trying to market Dragon Quest a bit now, but its still really half heartedly.

Its pretty bad since its in the midst of a pile of portable RPGs. Tactics Ogre remake, Ys 1 and 2, Nintendo's own releases. Lot of games in a small timeframe.

Dragon Quest has always been the most consistent RPG series but its never really captured the west at all. Heck back in the day I think we only got the first 13 episodes of the cartoon they had on TV. I never knew how it all turned out.

Its not anime enough for that crowd, its not western enough for that group.

Its just its own barely changing game. As comforting as a big old comforter and a hot beverage.

But the market in the west doesn't want that.

Which is why Japan loves it and we don't in some ways.

You can play NES Dragon Warrior and then go play DQ 8 or 9 and see its pretty much the same game foundation.

Try doing that with the Ultimas. U1 isnt anything like U9.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

I've never really played a DQ game other than a few minutes of 8 on the PS2, but this thread has inspired me and I've been getting back into playing my DS to get excited about the 3DS launching soon, so I picked up DQ4 as I figured it was a good starting point. Plus I've always heard GREAT things about it but could never really get past the NES graphics (which is weird cause I like other NES games but, eh.) I'm on chapter 2 and really enjoying it, and that includes wandering around grinding stuff in front of the starting towns, so maybe I'll be ok, haha. I've been itching for some old school RPGs, so I'm hoping this will fit the order. The russian dialects so far are making me laugh a lot. Not so much the scottish.

As an aside, did someone say they loved the prologue of IV? Cause it was, like, 3 seconds long for me. Did I do something wrong?

Manos del Sino
Apr 12, 2004

Original Pony
Soiled Meat

Quidnose posted:

As an aside, did someone say they loved the prologue of IV? Cause it was, like, 3 seconds long for me. Did I do something wrong?

I mentioned that I enjoyed the introduction chapters for each of the secondary characters in the party. It was the only DQ game that actually made interested in the story behind the tertiary party.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Captain Rufus posted:

I remember getting DQ 2 back in the NES days. Graphically it seemed like a downgrade from 1

What's interesting is that for us, it was. The Dragon Warrior we got was practically a remake, built on top of the Dragon Warrior 3 engine.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dragon_Warrior#North_American_localization

That was a bit of a backfire on Nintendo's part, since it meant Dragon Warrior 2 ended up looking a bit pants.

Also gently caress YEAH SLIME PLUSH. This thing is awesome, I've wanted one forever.

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

SpaceDrake posted:

That was a bit of a backfire on Nintendo's part, since it meant Dragon Warrior 2 ended up looking a bit pants.

It didn't look all that different to me, but I'm no aficionado. I just remember 2 being so much more complicated, and it was awesome. :colbert:

Actually, I thought 2 looked better than 1, the towns weren't silly lame square icons.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

I've only ever managed to beat DQ2 using the 1&2 GBC compilation years ago. BUT, I did not reference Gamefaqs once during my playthrough. Those caves still sucked, though.

drat, now I feel like playing DQ3 again but my Game Boy gave up the ghost some time ago. I managed to get pretty far with metal collecting but never got enough to take on the secret final boss.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I find it totally odd Dragon Quest never caught on in the West because it's literally the aesthetics of a Japanese RPG with the balls-to-the-wall-kick-your-rear end-unfairness of Western RPGs. I guess the old school WRPG market is (and was) smaller than I always thought it would be because DQ is the only JRPG series I actually look forward to because Ultima, the game that inspired its creation, was such a big thing for me as a child.

The DQ games are so lovingly crafted and perfect in design. They're linear but the world/dungeons are still large enough to reward you for exploring off the beaten path. They're tough but encourage employment of every spell which most JRPGs ignore poo poo like buffs and debuffs. The plot is like a combination of fantasy short stories with faerie realms and demon underworlds but it's always light-hearted and doesn't take itself too seriously. Some people find them grindy but aside from the original trilogy and maybe 7 I never found this to be true as long as you don't zip to your next destination. There's certainly a "science" behind DQ's difficulty which involves only buying what you can afford + what provides the largest bonuses. You really don't need to max out your equipment except near endgame.

I can't stand most JRPGs but DQ will always be the series I compare other JRPGs too. I can't think of a single DQ game I haven't liked, including the spin-offs like Swords. I'm going through DQV on DS for the first time and the first dungeon (haunted castle) was amazing.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Feb 17, 2011

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

DQV really benefited the most from the DS remake, really. The original version was amazing but it looks something like "upgraded NES game". The DS re-release gave it some modern polish, letting the good game behind it shine through.

And yeah, it's depressing that Dragon Quest never picked up here. I wonder how much NOA lost practically giving the thing away trying to recapture the Japanese success. :smith:

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!
Dragon Quest III had an SNES remake. Surprised people were saying there was none.

True that it never came out here (and never will), but it a fan-patch was made recently by http://www.dqtranslations.com/projects.

So if you wanted, you can play the Dq3 remake after all. I seriously doubt it'll be remade on the 3ds or any other system; it wouldn't be good business to make 3 after you just made 9 and 6. I suspect 6 will not do very well, either--the engine goes BACKWARDS from 9 and feels clunky as a result.

So this means we have our 15 year old SNES remake or nothing.

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

:dukedog:

al-azad posted:

I find it totally odd Dragon Quest never caught on in the West because it's literally the aesthetics of a Japanese RPG with the balls-to-the-wall-kick-your-rear end-unfairness of Western RPGs.

Remember, Final Fantasy only caught on when Sony ran nonstop commercials of Final Fantasy VII’s CG cutscenes. A lot of people tricked themselves into thinking it was some sort of supergame with the best graphics ever. Imagine their surprise when a text window and menu commands popped up. Imagine their greater surprise when they liked it. This is why Cloud is some vidya gaming superstar despite being a mediocre character: FF7 is everyone’s JRPG gateway game. (Ours was Dragon Warrior on the NES, most likely. Mine was.)

Basically, Dragon Quest needs a marketing campaign that allows people to draw incorrect but whoa-that’s-awesome type conclusions, and it needs to come up with a totally new realistic non-Toriyama-inspired graphical style.

Until then, it’s just not going to be a hit with the dudebro Call of Gears of Halo NFL 11 crowd, because they look at it and think “lame Japanese cartoony poo poo with big eyes and voice actors that make noises."

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

Terpfen posted:

and it needs to come up with a totally new realistic non-Toriyama-inspired graphical style.

Bull. loving. poo poo. <:mad:>

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

al-azad posted:

I find it totally odd Dragon Quest never caught on in the West because it's literally the aesthetics of a Japanese RPG with the balls-to-the-wall-kick-your-rear end-unfairness of Western RPGs. I guess the old school WRPG market is (and was) smaller than I always thought it would be because DQ is the only JRPG series I actually look forward to because Ultima, the game that inspired its creation, was such a big thing for me as a child.

This is sort of where the problem lies, though; not only was DQ having to play catch-up with Ultima in terms of design prowess (they only really started holding their own with III, and only began differentiating themselves and changing things up with IV and V) but the early DQs came out way late in the States. Remember, Dragon Warrior first came to the U.S. in mid-1989, when it was originally a 1986 release. In Japan it was basically uncontested and the only real comparison was Ultima IV. By the time it came to America, when it came to the established RPG crowd it had to go up against Ultima V (and VI soon after) which wasn't even a competition.

The delayed release really killed DQ in the States. Had it somehow come out here in 1986, it might've done better. By 1989 it was already being outdone on the PC, though, so none of the existing RPG crew really cared.