Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Killer_Bees!
Dec 25, 2005

I, for one, welcome
our new insect overlords.
Buglord

Eyespy posted:

Acrylic Gesso. You can get it at most any art store, it comes in black and white, gives no gently caress about humidity and for ~$12 AUD you can undercoat your whole army with one pot.

Cheers for that Eyespy, will scoot down on the weekend and see if I can nab some in this dinky town, $12 is much more reasonable. You still stuck in Mackay? or are you one of the lucky ones who escaped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuckface the Hedgehog
Jun 12, 2007

Eyespy posted:

Acrylic Gesso. You can get it at most any art store, it comes in black and white, gives no gently caress about humidity and for ~$12 AUD you can undercoat your whole army with one pot.

This.

The spray paints and primers you get from Bunnings and such are alright for a few bucks, but it aint no krylon flat and paint flows wierd on them. If youre on the east coast, seeming as our country is trying to flood us out at the moment, I would definatly go with gesso. Just handle the model carefully until you have the basecoat down as gesso tends to rub off.

If you have to go to one of those art stores that only sell pipecleaners and poo poo the gesso will be like 20 bucks, but its still cheaper than 22 bucks when you factor in you get half a liter of the poo poo.

Eyespy
Dec 20, 2004

When I talk about the doomed, the scum, the people who no longer give a shit...When I talk about the filth of the city...I'm talking about you.

Killer_Bees! posted:

Cheers for that Eyespy, will scoot down on the weekend and see if I can nab some in this dinky town, $12 is much more reasonable. You still stuck in Mackay? or are you one of the lucky ones who escaped.

There's no escape from a black hole, that's just elementary physics.

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?

Killer_Bees! posted:

So quick question, I have got back into the hobby after a couple years hiatus and I need to get my hands on a large amount of spraypaint/undercoat. I walk into my local GW reseller and find GW cans at $22 Aus!!! so what do you Aus warhams recommend for undercoat and priming large amounts of models without being gouged by our terrible Australian pricing. I did pick up some sepia wash and devlin mud, god drat this stuff is like magic.

My go to primer right now is Fiddly Bits grey primer. At around $3 a can I find it hard to go past. Also, you get the easier coverage that comes with a white undercoat, but if you miss a spot it doesn't matter too much because it isn't as obvious as white.

Please don't use gesso, it takes too long to prime and it leaves a chalky residue to the model that is horrible to paint on.

Calico Noose
Jun 26, 2010
Personally i use Fiddly Bits flat black and i've had no complaints. That said i'm an average painter at best and i've never used anything else to prime so for all i know it's terrible and switching it for something else could vastly improve my painting.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Friends don't let friends use gesso.*

*Except maybe if you're using it on bases, as it does a good job getting it crevices and seals sand down pretty well.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Fyrbrand posted:

I prefer the texture of spray primer, but gesso will totally do in a pinch. It's more useful the more detailing there is, on large smooth surfaces it's horrible.

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?

Calico Noose posted:

Personally i use Fiddly Bits flat black and i've had no complaints. That said i'm an average painter at best and i've never used anything else to prime so for all i know it's terrible and switching it for something else could vastly improve my painting.

Fiddly Bits flat black is ok, it goes on a little thick though, but will work. The problem is that it is not a primer. You want a surface for you paint to stick to and a primer is the best way to do this rather than just a spray paint.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Fyrbrand posted:

*Except maybe if you're using it on bases, as it does a good job getting it crevices and seals sand down pretty well.

How does it feel to be so terribly wrong?

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

Gesso's great for undercoating big terrain pieces, that's about the only concession I'll make for using the stuff.

:colbert:

(but then I don't live in a ridiculously humid country and spray undercoating has never ever been a problem, hurrah!)

Hell Diver
Feb 2, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Gesso's the only thing I can use out here, but I'm fairly pleasantly surprised by it. It dries perfectly and really is good for sealing basing material down. It's a nightmare to use on some metal models because you'll constantly keep finding little bits you missed as you go along.

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Seaweed!? Get the fuck out!
^^^^^^^
You're not actually missing them: you're either rubbing them off or the gesso is shrinking and pulling away from the details. :suicide:

Eyespy posted:

My... My thunder! :negative:
Though your post is a bit more informative to the Australian market, by far.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 32 days!
For any newcomers who may not be familiar with what we're talking about in regards to gesso, here's a good guide that gives you some idea what to expect when priming with gesso, and below is a before-during-after pic from the same site.

For the most part I tend to prime with gesso almost exclusively; no fuss, just glop it on a figure and wait for it to shrink & dry. No need to worry about inhaling spray primer fumes, no need to have to wait for weather conditions to be just right so the primer doesn't fuzz, and if for some reason you're dissatisfied with how the gesso dried, it's quicker to strip the gesso off the figure than it would be with spray primer.

One caveat for US folks: gesso comes in many varieties, but at all costs avoid the tubs of white gesso you can find at places like Walmart. Sure, it's cheap, but it dries like poo poo, with the added bonus of having ammonia in it (probably to help speed the drying process), so it stinks, too. :barf:

Your best bet is to hit up an arts & crafts store like Hobby Lobby or Michaels, and look in the area where they sell painting supplies. I seem to recall one goon got some Bob Ross-brand gesso, which had the added bonus of letting them visualize happy little trees. :3:

Sydney Bottocks fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Feb 17, 2011

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Spray-priming is fine, and I did it for years (and I still will on large projects or big batches of stuff) but gesso is amazing to have on hand. No more worrying about humidity or temperature, and definitely no going outside in the freezing cold to prime stuff. I do my priming at the end of the night when I am tired and losing concentration for real painting; just glob it onto whatever project is next, and it'll be ready the next day to work on.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
Nothing wrong with priming with gesso, the only advice I'd add is that if you're priming metal models, you'll want to mix some water in with the gesso and do a few thin coats. The reason for that is that I've found gesso (perhaps as it gets older) to not suck perfectly into details on metal like it does with plastic.

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

Goff Boyz iz da rudest Boyz

SKA SUCKS

Fyrbrand posted:

I beg to differ :colbert:. Spray priming 200 guys, then having to go back and get all the spots the spray couldn't reach gets old real fast. Besides I can sit my rear end on the couch and gesso my guys while watching the terrible TV shows my wife likes to watch.

Killer_Bees!
Dec 25, 2005

I, for one, welcome
our new insect overlords.
Buglord
Oh god so many options, cheers for all the suggestions, I will do a shop this weekend and pick up a bunch of the options and report back on my impeding adventure in north QLD's limited options. I am a sucker for sprays though, I was using GW spray followed up by a rough clean up with a black paint to catch details or missed parts. I have always found sprays look terribly flat if left just on their own and not tidied up.

Eyespy
Dec 20, 2004

When I talk about the doomed, the scum, the people who no longer give a shit...When I talk about the filth of the city...I'm talking about you.

Killer_Bees! posted:

I am a sucker for sprays though

Thin down Gesso 50/50 with water and you can use it in a cheap airbrush to undercoat.

You're welcome :smug:

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 32 days!
Having moved to NYC, gesso will truly be a godsend when I start getting back into the hobby, as I can prime indoors and avoid both bad weather and disapproving looks from the neighbors. :haw:

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Seaweed!? Get the fuck out!
Or just spray on your roof like every other gang member person does. :v:

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Oath work! These are hard to photograph.

spacegoat
Dec 23, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nap Ghost
Holy poo poo that's a rad skyboard. You should paint BFG stuff.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

spacegoat posted:

Holy poo poo that's a rad skyboard. You should paint BFG stuff.

lol, I have 10 of those, and that was the first thing I thought, that the hellions are the cheapest BFG army ever.

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....

Killer_Bees! posted:

Holy poo poo don't buy white gesso, mainly the mont marte one. Ruins models.

Big Willy Style posted:

My go to primer right now is Fiddly Bits grey primer. At around $3 a can I find it hard to go past. Also, you get the easier coverage that comes with a white undercoat, but if you miss a spot it doesn't matter too much because it isn't as obvious as white.

Please don't use gesso, it takes too long to prime and it leaves a chalky residue to the model that is horrible to paint on.

Where would you advise us Ausgoons pick this up?

!amicable
Jan 20, 2007

theironjef posted:

Oath work! These are hard to photograph.

How did you get that effect? Was it just stipling?

It looks loving awesome. Nice work duder.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Back when I lived at a dorm, I'd go behind my FLGS to spray prime stuff, leave it in the hallway where I could see it, and read codices and magazines while I waited for it to dry. Then I'd put it in a bag or something and just go back to my dorm. Or I'd prime behind the dumpster at said dorm. It was a lot of time spent spraypainting things behind buildings more or less. Now that I live in a duplex I just prime on my porch and leave stuff drying around the house.

Also, those skyboards are awesome. Paint a raider like that and airbrush a wizard or some Star Wars characters on the front of it.

Edit: Like this:

SRM fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Feb 17, 2011

!amicable
Jan 20, 2007

theironjef posted:

Wooo! The crew is almost done. I love the 80s.

He did.

NecronSchmecron
Apr 29, 2009

Ah, phooey!

SRM posted:

:stare:

E: I'm going to pretend these are photoshopped. Also, needs more Starship Enterprises. :D

NecronSchmecron fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Feb 17, 2011

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

!amicable posted:

He did.

I see no wizard :colbert:

!amicable
Jan 20, 2007

SRM posted:

I see no wizard :colbert:

That's because he is wearing a cloak of invisibility you cad.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

Actually the star fields are done with a toothbrush first, then basically a crapload of drybrushing for the stellar dust and fine-point detail to select individual stars to either highlight or get rid of. Working on a new sail now that's gonna have some red and purple nebulae, and I'm thinking about throwing in a comet.

As for wizards, these are Dark Eldar! They don't go in for that fancy psyker crap. Just glorious golden armor and anime blue hair.

edit.. drat it, I keep forgetting I used the Picard head for that raider.

theironjef fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Feb 17, 2011

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

theironjef posted:

Actually the star fields are done with a toothbrush first

Whatchoo talkin'bout?

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

Fix posted:

Whatchoo talkin'bout?

I paint my stars on with a toothbrush. Specifically this one:

Basically it's spatter painting.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

As in raking the bristles to spatter, or as in dabbing?

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
Raking.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Raking.

Yep. Wish it was some awesome secret, but I just mix up titanium white with some sunburst yellow and spritz in on. The trick to making it look good is really more about picking stars to get rid of or highlight, and drybrushing on the nebulae and stellar dust.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
I really wish there was a BFG/Firestorm Armada scene here because I really want to do this at some point:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9nOE6g0G63Q

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

I considered doing some planets but at this teensy scale I just don't think they'd come off anywhere near that good. Nebulous non-geometrical stuff is way easier to work on a weensy little curved surface. I'd love to take a crack at putting planets on a nice fat Eldar tank canvas though.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

theironjef posted:

Yep. Wish it was some awesome secret, but I just mix up titanium white with some sunburst yellow and spritz in on. The trick to making it look good is really more about picking stars to get rid of or highlight, and drybrushing on the nebulae and stellar dust.

Cool, thanks.

MasterSlowPoke posted:

I really wish there was a BFG/Firestorm Armada scene here because I really want to do this at some point:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9nOE6g0G63Q

Mind. Blown. Art cheats are the best cheats.

Fix fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Feb 17, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainPete
Apr 26, 2009

Grandpa Pap posted:

Your best bet is to hit up an arts & crafts store like Hobby Lobby or Michaels, and look in the area where they sell painting supplies. I seem to recall one goon got some Bob Ross-brand gesso, which had the added bonus of letting them visualize happy little trees. :3:

I saw the Bob Ross stuff at Micheals. It was half price, per volume, than the Liqutex stuff I bought. When I find the time, I'm going to buy some Bob Ross white, and pray that it's awesome...

• Locked thread