Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bizob
Dec 18, 2004

Tiger out of nowhere!

Ferrosol posted:

Both books are well worth a read though, as long as you do not mind constant flashbacks and a bit of purple prose. And I must say the way they deal with the Bondsmagi at the end of the first book is awesome

"Nice bird, rear end in a top hat."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cheradenine
May 29, 2009

Bizob posted:

"Nice bird, rear end in a top hat."

The best bit about that scene is how it flashes back to Chains warning Locke about the Bondsmagi and how, if he values his skin, he should kiss their arse if he ever meets one.

Edit: grammar

Cheradenine fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Jan 31, 2011

onefish
Jan 15, 2004

A Nice Boy posted:

Where did you hear this? I've heard several times that he turned it in a long time ago. Also, if he hadn't even turned IN the final manuscript, I find it highly unlikely Amazon would be listing a release date about a month away.

EDIT: Meh, internet information seems to back up it not being out anytime soon. Sigh.

The actual publisher is still listing the third book as out in February 2011 (http://www.orionbooks.co.uk/books/the-republic-of-thieves-hardback), so I believe it will happen. Haven't heard a thing from Lynch himself on the internet in months, though, so no idea how things will proceed afterward.

anathenema
Apr 8, 2009

onefish posted:

The actual publisher is still listing the third book as out in February 2011 (http://www.orionbooks.co.uk/books/the-republic-of-thieves-hardback), so I believe it will happen. Haven't heard a thing from Lynch himself on the internet in months, though, so no idea how things will proceed afterward.

It's been pushed back to November of 2011.

http://www.tor.com/blogs/2011/01/fiction-affliction-diagnosing-february-releases-in-fantasy

A Nice Boy
Feb 13, 2007

First in, last out.
Well, gently caress a duck.

Bizob
Dec 18, 2004

Tiger out of nowhere!
Early reviews of Wise Man's Fear are coming in, and are very positive so far:

http://www.publishersweekly.com/978-0-7564-0473-4

quote:

This breathtakingly epic story is heartrending in its intimacy and masterful in its narrative essence, and will leave fans waiting on tenterhooks for the final installment.

http://sf-fantasy.suvudu.com/2011/02/review-the-wise-mans-fear-by-patrick-rothfuss.html

quote:

I have finished The Wise Man’s Fear by Patrick Rothfuss.

The short review: It was everything I hoped it would be.

http://www.tor.com/blogs/2010/12/worth-waiting-for-patrick-rothfusss-the-wise-mans-fear

quote:

The Wise Man's Fear was worth waiting for. It's about as good as this kind of fantasy can possibly get.

The only review with more than slightly negative comments (and which was still overall positive) I've seen is from GRRM's bff at Pat's Fantasy Hotlist. http://fantasyhotlist.blogspot.com/2011/01/wise-mans-fear.html

quote:

It's also been said that a more sexually active Kvothe was sort of a wish fulfillment thing on Rothfuss' part. It's been compared to that of Guy Gavriel Kay with bearded characters. Keeping that in mind as I read along, I would have to agree on this. For a redhead male, Kvothe sure gets an inordinate amount of action in The Wise Man's Fear. And if you had trouble believing that Archie could have both Betty and Veronica, you may raise an eyebrow on more than one occasion in this second volume. Having said that, it's simply something that will make you smirk from time to time, and it doesn't take anything away from the reading experience.
Oddly enough, what is perhaps the book's most impressive aspect could also be its biggest shortcoming. Rothfuss has an amazing eye for details. His fluid prose and evocative narrative make the story come alive, creating an imagery that never fails to dazzle. And yet, it could be that Rothfuss is too in love with his creation and spends an excessive amount of time describing the minutiae of Kvothe's mundane life instead of focusing on the greater scheme of things. As I mentioned, Rothfuss does it exceedingly well, and it makes the story leap off the page. But overdone, it's simply overkill.

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN
I can't wait for this to come out... less than 3 weeks away! I already have mine pre-ordered with release day delivery too :woop:

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
Misread.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!

Dramatika posted:

I can't wait for this to come out... less than 3 weeks away! I already have mine pre-ordered with release day delivery too :woop:

Same! This, the new Strokes album... March is automatically a good month.

mastur
Mar 26, 2007

queefing the ice beard.
I am also excited.

He's doing a tour to support the book. I'll be attending the Oregon stop.

http://www.patrickrothfuss.com/content/tour.asp

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN
Awesome, I'll be going to the Houston date. Now if only Brandon Sanderson would also include Houston in his tours...

Maxwells Demon
Jan 15, 2007

Wait, is the book coming out in March or November?

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Maxwells Demon posted:

March. It'd be kind of weird to do a book tour eight months before the books is released.

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN

Maxwells Demon posted:

March - the book that was pushed back to November was the new Scott Lynch book we got derailed on

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all
I'm looking forward to it. It's been like two years since I chilled out with a good fantasy door stop, and I liked the first one.

:smithfrog: Yeah, I liked the book about the creepy little gay kid who went to hogwarts.

Maxwells Demon
Jan 15, 2007

Dramatika posted:

March - the book that was pushed back to November was the new Scott Lynch book we got derailed on

Sweet. Thanks for the clarification.

Also who cares if the author is in love with his own character. The story he writes around him is great, and it reads wonderfully.

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

Maxwells Demon posted:

Sweet. Thanks for the clarification.

Also who cares if the author is in love with his own character. The story he writes around him is great, and it reads wonderfully.

God drat I could make it to that book event in the DC area any other day than March 14. gently caress YOU PAT

In other news I am super excited for this book.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.
I wish it were less obvious that Patrick Rothfuss created the character he wishes he was, because I really do like the first book. I'll buy and read the second book in its entirety the day it comes out.

Ohvee
Jun 17, 2001

Benson Cunningham posted:

I wish it were less obvious that Patrick Rothfuss created the character he wishes he was, because I really do like the first book. I'll buy and read the second book in its entirety the day it comes out.
It's "Twilight for Boys", but I guess there really isn't anything wrong with that. I'm anxiously awaiting book two as well.

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Bizob posted:

quote:
It's also been said that a more sexually active Kvothe was sort of a wish fulfillment thing on Rothfuss' part. It's been compared to that of Guy Gavriel Kay with bearded characters. Keeping that in mind as I read along, I would have to agree on this. For a redhead male, Kvothe sure gets an inordinate amount of action in The Wise Man's Fear. And if you had trouble believing that Archie could have both Betty and Veronica, you may raise an eyebrow on more than one occasion in this second volume.

oh for gently caress's sake
I'll read the book, but I can already see myself skipping the cringe-worthy parts which I'm sure there will be a decent amount of :(

uberkeyzer
Jul 10, 2006

u did it again

Barbe Rouge posted:

oh for gently caress's sake
I'll read the book, but I can already see myself skipping the cringe-worthy parts which I'm sure there will be a decent amount of :(

Patrick Rothfuss: correcting "putting women on a pedestal" fantasy clichés by moving to "slayin' bitches across the universe" fantasy clichés.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Moving away from "She is a shy deer" to "Wanna gently caress that deer :stare:".

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Moving away from "She is a shy deer" to "Wanna gently caress that deer :stare:".

bestiality is always a welcome addition in a book.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

quote:

And if you had trouble believing that Archie could have both Betty and Veronica, you may raise an eyebrow on more than one occasion in this second volume.

Speaking as someone who has read Wheel of Time, there are harder concepts to swallow.

sethyqunt
Feb 15, 2011
One if the better fantasies out there. Of course its not going to be the next great classic, but as far as a fun book to read? Yeah its definitely that.

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

neongrey posted:

Speaking as someone who has read Wheel of Time, there are harder concepts to swallow.

I almost stopped reading WoT because of that poo poo. Luckily it's toned down later on in the series, but christ it was creepy.

Bizob
Dec 18, 2004

Tiger out of nowhere!
http://www.tor.com/stories/2011/02/excerpt-the-wise-mans-fear-by-patrick-rothfuss

Tor just spammed me with a link to an excerpt. Enjoy.

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN

Bizob posted:

http://www.tor.com/stories/2011/02/excerpt-the-wise-mans-fear-by-patrick-rothfuss

Tor just spammed me with a link to an excerpt. Enjoy.

Welp, I recognized 3 characters out of the excerpt, so apparently I should probably re-read Name of the Wind in the next week or so.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!
Man, I love Elodin. I'm looking forward to reading this book so much.

Eunabomber
Dec 30, 2002

Dramatika posted:

Welp, I recognized 3 characters out of the excerpt, so apparently I should probably re-read Name of the Wind in the next week or so.

I'm pretty sure the only characters from the excerpt that we've seen before are Elodin Kvothe and Fela.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.
Is that.... a real thing? Because it was awful. Now I'm worried about the new book.

Lyz
May 22, 2007

I AM A GIRL ON WOW GIVE ME ITAMS
I'm excited for the new book, even if that excerpt was pretty meh. I actually randomly picked up the first book again to read before I went to sleep (which meant a couple late nights), and recently I though "hey, shouldn't the author FINALLY be releasing the second book soon?" And lo and behold, it's a week away!

I think the thing I really like about this series is that not only is the writing great, but besides being a prodigy Kvothe makes some pretty spectacularly dumb mistakes. It keeps him from being TOO much of an insufferable douche.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
So would I like this series if I find mary-sue type characters really annoying?

anathenema
Apr 8, 2009

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Eh. It's 50/50.

On the one hand, Kvote is a superchildprodigygeniusboy who always gets what he wants and frequently does so without even trying. But on the other hand, a lot of people who said they hate Mary Sues have wound up loving this.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
If Patrick subverts the Mary Sue by showing Kvothe as an unreliable narrator with hints as to the inaccuracies, this will become awesome.

However, the first book does not bode well.

Evfedu
Feb 28, 2007

It's flawed as all get-out but it's so enjoyable in spite of it. Give it a go, if nothing else the first book is a breeze of a read.

Bizob
Dec 18, 2004

Tiger out of nowhere!

Evfedu posted:

It's flawed as all get-out but it's so enjoyable in spite of it. Give it a go, if nothing else the first book is a breeze of a read.

It really depends on what you are looking for. Its more like eating some really good chocolate cake than it is like eating a really well prepared steak.

Melche
Apr 29, 2009

It might be worth reading through the thread. There's a faction that thinks it's poo poo and a faction that thinks it's fun and the other faction are being a bunch of stick-in-the-muds. It doesn't descend too far into a bitch-fight, and spoilers are tagged.

I didn't like it, but it's not really worth re-opening the argument. I just dropped into the thread to have a look at that exerpt.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'
I remember reading half of this book when it came out due to the suggestion of a friend. If you like the fantasy genre you'll probably like it.

I think someone mentioned earlier how similar some of the concepts are to A Wizard of Earthsea, which is an absolutely beautiful book and much more intelligent and engaging than this book was. This guy really did lift whole concepts wholesale from Earthsea and it is kind of grating.
So if you are in doubt as to whether you will like this, don't read it and read Le Guin instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

onefish
Jan 15, 2004

Danger posted:

I remember reading half of this book when it came out due to the suggestion of a friend. If you like the fantasy genre you'll probably like it.

I think someone mentioned earlier how similar some of the concepts are to A Wizard of Earthsea, which is an absolutely beautiful book and much more intelligent and engaging than this book was. This guy really did lift whole concepts wholesale from Earthsea and it is kind of grating.
So if you are in doubt as to whether you will like this, don't read it and read Le Guin instead.

Okay, so yes, Le Guin's books, complete and utter classics of the genre, validated by decades and a few hundred thousand readers, may be better (though they're different types of books, and it's kind of an apples and oranges situation). But she did not invent the idea of the importance of true names to magic, and Rothfuss is not the first after her to use the idea, either.

Plus, interestingly enough, Le Guin herself gave a blurb for Name of the Wind, which she doesn't seem to do that often: http://www.patrickrothfuss.com/content/reviews.asp#ursulaleguin

• Locked thread