Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mrens
Feb 21, 2004

"I stopped doing Chemo and I fell 100% better"
:bravo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli

Bumming Your Scene posted:

Please Vote for Me

This is a :3: documentary about a first grade class in China that will, for the first time, have an election for their class monitor. A class monitor is the same thing as a hall monitor or teacher's aid. They are usually picked by the teacher, but this year the class will vote for their choice from the incumbent monitor, or two new challengers. The three candidates have a full blown campaign to win the votes of their classmates. Democracy!

This is fantastic!
The kid's are mini-Machiavellians and it's just so gripping to watch them turn on each other.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Kehveli posted:

Louis Theroux: The Ultra Zionists
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTszskhUrd0

The amazing thing about this is that without any sort of editorial slant, the Zionists seem like absolute cunts. They are quite happy for their words and deeds to drat them because they are so conviced of their righteousness.

It's like looking through a window into pre-war Germany.

Scary Monster
Oct 29, 2000

Enentol posted:

I know this isn't exactly a recommendation thread, but I figured it would be a pretty good place to ask.

Are there are great documentaries about the Center for Disease Control and the crazy high-level work they do there? I'm talking about the really nasty stuff like ebola and small pox.

Documentaries on ebola and scary diseases work too.

Hmm now why would you want to know so much about all that? :tinfoil:
I strongly doubt they do anything crazy or exciting at all. In fact it's probably the exact opposite and completely dull - nothing like X-Files. They gather intel to produce guidelines and information to companies, the public and first-responders and recommendations to the government to fund or subsidize research based on national circumstances. They are employed by the Department of Health, so pretty much everything there is to know about them is on their website or available for free upon request.

Small pox is extinct and Ebola is rare, swiftly shows symptoms and kills most who get it so it never spreads much. Though AIDS and malaria are the most important diseases in the world, rabies is the most deadly disease by far. With only 6 survivors in the past 4000 years, the only reliable treatment for symptomatic rabies is to tie the person down, pump them full of morphine and wait for them to die.
As far as I know all the serious work on disease in the US is done at universities and biotech companies, not the CDC.
There's a documentary about the only unvaccinated rabies survivor ever called The Girl Who Survived Rabies.

whose tuggin
Nov 6, 2009

by Hand Knit

Scary Monster posted:

Text and stuff...

There's also this place:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USAMRIID
Where they definitely do not conduct research on chemical weapons. That's illegal!

But I do like their containment system. The rooms all have a lower atmospheric pressure than the rest of the building, so if something got out in one, it'd get sucked up through the filtration system instead of blown out underneath a door like what a normal A/C would do.

Alastor_the_Stylish
Jul 25, 2006

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

The amazing thing about this is that without any sort of editorial slant, the Zionists seem like absolute cunts. They are quite happy for their words and deeds to drat them because they are so conviced of their righteousness.

No one reply to this!

The documentary was very good though.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
Got a copy of Fat Head finally. Going to check it out tonight.

http://www.fathead-movie.com/

Scary Monster
Oct 29, 2000

The Scientist posted:

There's also this place:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USAMRIID
Where they definitely do not conduct research on chemical weapons. That's illegal!

But I do like their containment system. The rooms all have a lower atmospheric pressure than the rest of the building, so if something got out in one, it'd get sucked up through the filtration system instead of blown out underneath a door like what a normal A/C would do.

Nothing fancier than what you'll see at a tech manufacturing plant or even a data recovery company employing 1-2 people in a rented basement apartment.

The only thing that anybody ever learned about chemical and biological weapons with military value is that explosives are better.

BattyKiara
Mar 17, 2009
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOgF6UBz5RI

A BBC documentary on how smallpox was beaten, and the question of destroing the very last smaples. Should we destroy them, or keep them for research?

Saga
Aug 17, 2009
[With apologies in advance if this has been posted previously]

Pablo's Hippos

http://www.britfilms.com/britishfilms/catalogue/browse/?id=5EC3C1351ae1e1753DTjW124DE8B

The fairly horrifying brief story of Colombian society and Colombia's incredibly violent history of drug-fuelled violence and the cartels, viewed through the satirical lens of a documentary about Escobar's private zoo and his pet Hippos, which have gone wild and bred like...well, Hippo-shaped rabbits, taking to the lakes and rivers of Colombia like...well, a Hippo-shaped duck to water. Or perhaps a Hippo to water? Narrated by an animated Muy Macho hippo.

Colombians won't learn anything new, but if you only have a general understanding of Escobar, the cartels and their role, it's pretty shocking. Also, darkly amusing.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine
My Father Pablo Escobar does a much better job of telling the story.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

cloudchamber posted:

My Father Pablo Escobar does a much better job of telling the story.

But does it have animated hippos? I rest my case!

whose tuggin
Nov 6, 2009

by Hand Knit

Scary Monster posted:

Nothing fancier than what you'll see at a tech manufacturing plant or even a data recovery company employing 1-2 people in a rented basement apartment.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by this.

If this is the one I vaguely remember seeing, then I thought it was pretty cool:

http://www.hulu.com/watch/156059/virus-hunters

Description:Virus Hunters follows the front line workers in the war on viruses, their triumphs and defeats, and the challenges they face with a potential global pandemic on the horizon.

Bad news:Its on hulu. I hate that website. Its like watching regular TV, so many goddamned commercials.

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Dude, they oughta call you Piledriver!

Clever Betty
Requesting some recommendations of documentaries about the following topics: Religion and Beer.

Religion-wise, I really like the Louis Theroux one about Westboro (and all his stuff really), and documentaries that discuss issues about Atheism or Fundamentalism.

Beer-wise, I'm looking for more technical information about breweries and stuff like that. I really enjoyed Beer Wars and I'm getting into Brew Masters on Discovery.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

I watched this and thought the exact same thing; those Jews are complete, total assholes.

eggyolk
Nov 8, 2007

Handen posted:

I watched this and thought the exact same thing; those Jews are complete, total assholes.

Agreed, it's amazing Louis can grit it out and ask the questions he does,
playing innocent and all. Just watching it brought a queezy feeling.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007

Handen posted:

By "those Jews" do you mean "those particular Jews in the documentary"?

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Lone Rogue posted:

It's quite amazing, the human mind. Because they told me after the faith healer, she did seem like she was better. She was happy, active and the colour in her skin seemed to come back. But it was all just in her head. The cancer was getting worse and worse and she just wasn't showing it.
Okay - now - bear with me just a second here. If I was dying of cancer and had the choice of body-wrecking chemo and radiation for another 12 months, and then death, OR 6 months of happiness in denial and then a fast drop into the coffin... having seen a girlfriend choose the misery of chemo and death, I'm going to go with happy denial.

That said, I don't need faith healing to put me in the river of denial.

DrLaserfalcon
Nov 7, 2010
For those looking to docu-bing, Frequency has an ad-free collection of documentaries pulled from various sources.

http://www.frequency.com/topic/documentary

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Pocket Billiards posted:

Have you not ever dealt with the Orthodox?

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

magnificent7 posted:

Okay - now - bear with me just a second here. If I was dying of cancer and had the choice of body-wrecking chemo and radiation for another 12 months, and then death, OR 6 months of happiness in denial and then a fast drop into the coffin... having seen a girlfriend choose the misery of chemo and death, I'm going to go with happy denial.

That said, I don't need faith healing to put me in the river of denial.

It wasn't happy denial though. Sure, it's happy denial to us, but for her, God saved her life by having this healer save her of her cancer problems.

And her friends and family had to see her convinced that she was free of her cancer... and then she was dead.

I'd probably choose no chemo as well.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

Pocket Billiards posted:

I want to say just those particular jews in the documentary, but the documentary seems to showcase how Jews from all over the world are teaming together to pool the funds to essentially "buy" the Palestinians out of the West Bank. And I used the word "buy" very loosely. It's like they're using the holocaust as an excuse to justify some sort of "soft" genocide, and that's a HUGE what the gently caress?

whose tuggin
Nov 6, 2009

by Hand Knit
You know that by derailing this thread about jews, your just contributing to the massive zionist conspiracy, right?

***ALTERNATE***

You know that by taking trivial offense to that comment about jews, you are feeding the massive hate machine that is the world's antisemitism, right?

Edgar Quintero
Oct 5, 2004

POTENTIALLY DANGEROUS
DO NOT GIVE HEROIN

Pocket Billiards posted:

Got a copy of Fat Head finally. Going to check it out tonight.

http://www.fathead-movie.com/

Hah, I wonder how much McDonalds paid this guy.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
I don't plan to have this contribute to a derail, but isn't the amount of Jews compared to Christians and Muslims like... extremely minimal? Isn't saying the Jews are pooling their funds together like saying the Scientologists are pooling their funds together? Aren't we talking about a population paper cut?

I don't know, I always hear about the Jews and then find out there's an extremely small amount of them out there. They just seem to dominate comedy bars and hate documentaries.

Communocracy posted:

I had some problems with Supersize me. Like how he was a healthy guy who kept himself in great shape and decided to stop keeping himself in great shape and taking the least amount of movements, to the point where he was even working less in the sack. He basically shut down his body for its usual routine and then stuffed it with an abundance of un-healthy food. What do you think is going to happen? His need to eat more McDonalds than any normal human eats in a day was also over the top for me. I like the documentary but it felt a lot like an anti-drug PSA.

Paper Jam Dipper fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Feb 9, 2011

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007

Communocracy posted:

I got around to watching it, let me just preface this by saying that for the majority of the last 5 years I've been eating 'low carbohydrate' to some extent, eating grains, flour, bread, rice, pasta, etc either in limited amounts or not at all, very little processed food in general and lots of protein. I don't think I'm a zealot about it, and I've never subscribed to any formal low carb dogma like Paleo, Atkins, Good Calories Bad Calories or whatever the gently caress.

The documentary is not so much pro McDonalds, but pro small government and personal responsibility. So very anti public health, scientists, vegetarians and little bit of liberals are the real racists. One of the major talking heads featured in the documentary is the editor of Reason magazine so the libertarian slant is loud and clear. He does eat fast food 3 meals a day, but within constraints of 2000 calories and 100g of fat daily, plus walking a fixed amount per week and does acknowledge that the food is lovely.

It's cheaply made and quite patronising at times and would probably be a lot more convincing if there was at least some subtlety. It does give a reasonable lay explanation of the hypotheses about hormonal response to blood sugar that seems to me to be in line with what Gary Taube is advocating (I've only read interviews of his).

It's a little bit all over the place, it starts out debunking Super Size Me and then quickly becomes a libertarian circle jerk and then a promotion for low carb diets.

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

Pocket Billiards posted:

I got around to watching it, let me just preface this by saying that for the majority of the last 5 years I've been eating 'low carbohydrate' to some extent, eating grains, flour, bread, rice, pasta, etc either in limited amounts or not at all, very little processed food in general and lots of protein. I don't think I'm a zealot about it, and I've never subscribed to any formal low carb dogma like Paleo, Atkins, Good Calories Bad Calories or whatever the gently caress.

The documentary is not so much pro McDonalds, but pro small government and personal responsibility. So very anti public health, scientists, vegetarians and little bit of liberals are the real racists. One of the major talking heads featured in the documentary is the editor of Reason magazine so the libertarian slant is loud and clear. He does eat fast food 3 meals a day, but within constraints of 2000 calories and 100g of fat daily, plus walking a fixed amount per week and does acknowledge that the food is lovely.

It's cheaply made and quite patronising at times and would probably be a lot more convincing if there was at least some subtlety. It does give a reasonable lay explanation of the hypotheses about hormonal response to blood sugar that seems to me to be in line with what Gary Taube is advocating (I've only read interviews of his).

It's a little bit all over the place, it starts out debunking Super Size Me and then quickly becomes a libertarian circle jerk and then a promotion for low carb diets.

There's a lot of different things that can be taken away from watching this doc; what stuck with me the most though was the spot-on assessment of how much our society generally demonizes dietary fat.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid
The American Dream http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPWH5TlbloU I am a retard and forgot to paste the link

Basically, a cartoon 'documentary' about the Federal Reserve, the Rotschilds, and how they have destroyed America, the American dream, puppies, etc.

I post this not because I agree with it, since I'm not american and the Federal Reserve thing is a mystery to me, but to know what's true and what's false, since it seems like a big conspiracy theory video, following the footsteps of Loose Change or Zeitgeist.

It is pretty entertaining though :p

Edited to include the mandatory matrix reference from the comments:

quote:

money are fake, that means that their power is also fake!

if we escape from this matrix, these people will fall down!

the knowlege is the light, only with apollo light we will beat the dark!

I don't know about you, but as soon as I read a matrix reference, no matter in what context, I lose respect for their argument.

Redrum and Coke fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Feb 11, 2011

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Dude, they oughta call you Piledriver!

Clever Betty

Non Serviam posted:

The American Dream http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPWH5TlbloU I am a retard and forgot to paste the link

It was entertaining, but they never said anything about what people can do to make things better. It's all very fire and brimstone, then ends abruptly.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

robotsinmyhead posted:

It was entertaining, but they never said anything about what people can do to make things better. It's all very fire and brimstone, then ends abruptly.

Probably "vote for Ron Paul"

I really thought it was an entertaining thing to watch, but I would like more familiar with the US financial system to tell me how much of it is pure fabrication.

Hellwuzzat
Nov 28, 2008
This might sound weird, but I'd actually like to see a documentary about daytime soap operas. With so many actors and so many episodes per yer and all that, it must be pretty gruelling for cast and crew.

Panamaniac
Jun 18, 2007

HEROES NEVER DIE
I don't know if it's been mentioned or not, but I was rather fond of Restrepo.
It was made by Sebastian Junger and Tim Hetherington while embedded with an infantry platoon in the Korengal Valley, Afghanistan. Back in '07, Korengal was a very dangerous place, and they would have multiple firefights almost daily.
I would think it would be tough to condense 15 months into an hour and a half film, but these guys did it right.

It's kinda haunting in some of the interviews though. You can see a soldier describing some pretty horrible poo poo to go through, and all with a smile on his face, but then he stops speaking, and his face just hardens.

Youtube of the trailer.
It's available on netflix also.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

"searching for the wrong eyed jesus" I cheated and watched it on DVD, but it is on netflix. More of a commentary than a documentary but it's funny as hell, sorry for the poo poo post it's was late and I am not much of a writer.

Stolen from amazon..
Take a captivating and compelling road trip through the creative spirit of the American South, a world of churches, prisons, coalmines, truckstops, juke joints, swamps and mountains. Along the way you'll meet musicians including the Handsome Family, Johnny Dowd, 16 Horsepower, and David Johansen, old time banjo player Lee Sexton, and novelist Harry Crews. This film is a collage of stories and testimonies filled with sudden death, sin and redemption... and all the while, a strange Southern Jesus looms in the background.

Ropes4u fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Feb 14, 2011

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Ropes4u posted:

"searcing for the wrong eyed jesus" I cheated an watched the even, but it is on netflix. More of a commentary but it's funny as hell

Could you give a summary to this, and also explain what "I cheated an watched the even" means.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

Mrens posted:

"I stopped doing Chemo and I fell 100% better"
:bravo:

First of all, let me just say that I think that faith healers and the like should be prosecuted, as they abuse the desperation of sick people, scam them and then keep them from using good and helpful treatments.

Now, having said that, a person that stops Chemo will definitely feel better; one of the (many) downsides of Chemo is that the patient will feel awful.

Additionally, keep in mind that Chemo is pretty much useless for most types of cancer, and yet doctors keep prescribing it.

EDIT: Since it's likely that someone will ask for the evidence, here's the research, and a small criticism: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15630849

And the overview: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15630849

Redrum and Coke fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Feb 14, 2011

Plunki
Apr 25, 2008
Does anyone know of any good documentaries about the Salem witch trials or real life witch hunts in general?

The ongoing history thread here has piqued my interest:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3382510&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=39#post388196958

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3382510&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=40#post388219917

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I finally watched Exit Through The Gift Shop.

I gotta say - God drat. After all the hype -- I really had zero interest in graffiti artists, and a documentary about a documentary sounded pretty dull as well -- but drat - that movie was awesome.

Illuminti
Dec 3, 2005

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

enginedriver posted:

Does anyone know of any good TV or preferably Radio documentaries on early monarchs of England. I mean really early ones like Aethelstan or even earlier ones of individual realms like Wessex going back to late Roman times. In an ideal world I'd like a radio 4 style hour on each and every king/queen but I'll settle for anything you have!

I'm guessing you;ve been listening to "In Our Time"? on radio 4? it's awesome if you havn't been and they have a programme on athelstan

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/features/in-our-time/

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Life, it's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come.
Pillbug
Managed to find a megavideo version of that Banksy documentary since it got so much attention in this thread, looking forward to it

Exit through the gift shop:
http://www.megavideo.com/?v=RT8GWXZ5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

shinigami_ebola posted:

This documentary called The Bridge, focuses on the Golden Gate Bridge, which happens to be the most popular suicide destination in the world. Cameras are left during the entire year of 2004, getting shots of people in the last moment of life plummeting off the bridge before they hit the water. The documentary also interviews the families of the jumpers, witnesses of the suicides, and also interviews a man who managed to survive his jump off the bridge. It's a thoroughly depressing documentary, because the pain expressed by the people affected by those deaths seems so palpable.

http://topdocumentaryfilms.com/the-bridge/

The video on the website is a youtube playlist, and will run all 9 segments continuously.

Excellent flick I really enjoyed the movie, it wasn't as depressing as I thought it would be. The kid who survived is high if he thinks people are going to forget that he jumped off a bridge.