Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

Crazy Ted posted:

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/telander/3807409-452/telander-brain-against-the-machines.html

Click the link to read a fascinating Rick Telander article that starts by talking about boxing and ends with a conflict between mankind and robots.

Obvious product placement by the Rock 'em Sock 'em Robots companies.

edit: Also, "Twilight Zone" did it first (Lee Marvin owns): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steel_%28The_Twilight_Zone%29

haljordan fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Feb 16, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stuart scott
Mar 9, 2007

ryborg posted:

come on guys this is gold

NICK: Is she kidding with that t-shirt? "Keeping it Real?" There's nothing real in that shirt!

(laugh track)

MEGAN: Nick, it's time to move on. She's had the new boobs for a year.

NICK: I swear, I think they're still expanding.

(laugh track)

MEGAN: You would know. The way you were staring at them.

(raucous applause, audience goes nuts)

Oh jesus, maybe I will read that

ryborg
Apr 15, 2007

I, myself, am not particularly athletic, so I fuel my competitive juices by watching my friends compete. The bar I frequent sponsors several teams and I especially enjoy watching the Ladies compete on Tuesday nights. It's an awesome sight watching a well-endowed woman rounding the bases...
Seriously, it's worth dealing with Deadspin's poo poo layout to read the "highlights." It's so impossibly horrible and cliched you have to wonder if this whole show is a giant prank.

Weebly
May 6, 2007

General Chaos wants you!
College Slice

ryborg posted:

Seriously, it's worth dealing with Deadspin's poo poo layout to read the "highlights." It's so impossibly horrible and cliched you have to wonder if this whole show is a giant prank.

Does this show even have a name yet?

The aristocrats!

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Weebly posted:

Does this show even have a name yet?

The aristocrats!

The cover page says "Herd Mentality"

Man In The Boat
Jan 2, 2006
Let's get down to brass tacks
I just saw the Cowherd thing on Deadspin. How is this possible? He's not funny or insightful or likable at all. He's not even fun to hate like Bayless. He's like an annoying commercial. When he comes on I change the station.

Maybe I'd watch it once if the actor who played him always sounded like he had too much spit in his mouth and a slight lisp. That might be kinda funny.

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007
Tony Kornheiser got a sitcom a few years back, so it't not like there's no precedent here. And it's just a pilot, isn't it? Going by that script, I can't imagine it'd get picked up for a full season.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

barkingclam posted:

Tony Kornheiser got a sitcom a few years back, so it't not like there's no precedent here. And it's just a pilot, isn't it? Going by that script, I can't imagine it'd get picked up for a full season.

People like Kornheiser, though.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Wasn't that before Kornheiser got big on PTI though? (because it was actually like seven years ago, god I feel old) So I guess despite the terrible script, he would at least have the fact that he's pretty popular right now going for him...

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

OctoberBlues posted:

Wasn't that before Kornheiser got big on PTI though? (because it was actually like seven years ago, god I feel old) So I guess despite the terrible script, he would at least have the fact that he's pretty popular right now going for him...

Nah, PTI had been on for around three years at that point and was already pretty well-established.

OrangeKing
Dec 5, 2002

They do play in October!

barkingclam posted:

Based on that script, I can't even see that show ever getting on the schedule. Then again, maybe I shouldn't overestimate the networks.

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

"Competitive greatness is when you play your best against the best."

"Learn as if you were to live forever; live as if you were to die tomorrow."

--John Wooden
So Henry Abbott of TrueHoop came out with a blog post entitled A Punitive Coach.

I haven't yet been able to gather my feelings toward this one, but I'd love to hear SAS field it.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

OrangeKing posted:

Based on that script, I can't even see that show ever getting on the schedule. Then again, maybe I shouldn't overestimate the networks.

I watched the pilot to Mr Sunshine. This script is about as entertaining.

I hope half of every episode is about how sports are a business and fans are totally stupid for supporting teams that are bad.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

LARGE THE HEAD posted:

So Henry Abbott of TrueHoop came out with a blog post entitled A Punitive Coach.

I haven't yet been able to gather my feelings toward this one, but I'd love to hear SAS field it.

I think that last anonymous email pretty much nails it for me.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Gregg Easterbrook's last TMQ is quite possibly the worst 1/3rd of an article that I have ever read. The whole loving thing is predicated on hindsight bias. As per usual it contains his poorly researched or twisted data to support his asinine conclusions (Dwyane Bowe didn't have a break out year because he didn't catch any passes in the playoffs, don't mind the fact that he led NFL WRs in TDs and had over 1200 receiving yards!).

I know I shouldn't get angry about stupid articles on ESPN, but this idiot literally makes many times my annual salary to write stupid, smug, self congratulatory articles.

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007
Remember, ESPN once fired Easterbrook for saying Jewish people worship money above all else. He's not really somebody to be taken seriously.

Dick Williams
Aug 25, 2005
That :qq: I couldn't make friends in college :qq: article by Drew Magary is the biggest steaming pile of self-indulgent, first world problems poo poo.

I would be kinder to it if it was decently written but it's literally a poorly written thousand word essay on how pathetic he is which somehow makes him come off as even more pathetic

Dick Williams fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Feb 18, 2011

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

yeah that article was obnoxious

i just made the mistake of reading the comments on a puff piece by fatty abe about how Mike Cameron is cool with being 4th OF and bench bat

i need a drink

The broken bones
Jan 3, 2008

Out beyond winning and losing, there is a field.

I will meet you there.
What surprises me most is some of you actually read Deadspin with regularity

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I live. I die. I live again.
I check it probably once a day late afternoon but I don't really find myself reading anything

chutwig
May 28, 2001

BURLAP SATCHEL OF CRACKERJACKS

The broken bones posted:

What surprises me most is some of you actually read Deadspin with regularity

I occasionally look at Deadspin or other Gawker sites for the same reason that I keep up with various right-wing media outlets; it's not for actual consumption of news items.

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Potato Count: 2 small potatoes
Bill Simmons is starting his own website: http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Daily/Morning-Buzz/2011/02/18/simmons.aspx

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

jyrka posted:

Bill Simmons is starting his own website: http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Daily/Morning-Buzz/2011/02/18/simmons.aspx

This has been floating around for awhile, he hired away the one decent writer Deadspin had a couple of weeks ago.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

jyrka posted:

I see this as less him starting his own website and more him finally killing off Page 2.

Edit: He also appears to have hired Lane Brown from Vulture. I don't read it, but I know people who do and enjoy it.

morestuff fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Feb 18, 2011

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

jyrka posted:

ESPNBoston.com

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

jyrka posted:

For some reason I kinda hope he succeeds, I know he's really hated around these parts but it'd be interesting to see what he does without ESPN watching over him

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

jyrka posted:

Klosterman's not a surprise, but a big deal, anyway. Dammit, I'm going to have to read this. :(

Also I wish Quickish had a decent RSS feed.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Fag Boy Jim posted:

For some reason I kinda hope he succeeds, I know he's really hated around these parts but it'd be interesting to see what he does without ESPN watching over him

The site is still owned by ESPN.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Simmons is annoying but there's at least some potential for that site to not suck.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?
Can't wait for a series of articles by Cousin Sal

The Goog
Aug 6, 2007

It's a Goog Day, yes it is!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Simmons is annoying but there's at least some potential for that site to not suck.

Simmons played a huge part in the incredible 30 for 30 series. I hope this gets just as much of a chance to succeed.

ZerodotJander
Dec 29, 2004

Chinaman, explain!
Is there anywhere I can watch those 30 for 30 documentaries? I never heard about them until recently and a lot of them seem really really cool.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

ZerodotJander posted:

Is there anywhere I can watch those 30 for 30 documentaries? I never heard about them until recently and a lot of them seem really really cool.

They're being released on DVD, and Netflix has them in stock. Some of them have also been posted to Youtube.

Parlett316
Dec 6, 2002

Jon Snow is viciously stabbed by his friends in the night's watch for wanting to rescue Mance Rayder from Ramsay Bolton
The U is quite possibly the greatest documentary ever made, make sure you check it out.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

You say this but just you watch as the first big feature on his new website is dedicated to David Kahn jokes.

Who was the Deadspin writer that Simmons hired?

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Crazy Ted posted:

Who was the Deadspin writer that Simmons hired?

Katie Baker: http://deadspin.com/people/katiebakes/posts/

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Deathlove posted:

Good for her.

Some Jerk
May 6, 2010
I will read literally anything Klosterman writes about sports. This is a great day for America.

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

Deathlove posted:

I don't know if people consider it "good" writing or not, but I really enjoyed the top article there "I was Teenage Hockey Message Board Jailbait". Here's hoping it turns out well for her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

Badfinger posted:

I don't know if people consider it "good" writing or not, but I really enjoyed the top article there "I was Teenage Hockey Message Board Jailbait". Here's hoping it turns out well for her.

She was the Chuck Klosterman of Deadspin. Take that however you want to...