Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El Duke Silver
Aug 15, 2008

rarely goes out and should never be approached

Pneub posted:

So what I've gathered after 50 words, and then again after a 50,000 word argument against nobody between everybody, is that The Rock was really good, and Austin was even better.

pretty much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
All I know is that everyone I hang out with knows the Rock is back and it's been seen as a big deal by people who don't even watch Pro Wrestling anymore.

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

i love it when you call me big poppa
Objectively, Austin was a bigger draw than Rock and a much better worker, at least until his body died. Subjectively, their promos are a matter of taste, but Rocky's were comedy-based, and Austin's didn't have to be. Even if you want to say Rocky is a better promo (which I don't believe), Austin is still better in every other measurable category. And I love the Rock, I marked like a child for his return last week.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Pneub posted:

So what I've gathered after 50 words, and then again after a 50,000 word argument against nobody between everybody, is that The Rock was really good, and Austin was even better.

Yes.

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006
Slightly different note but still Rock related: Do you guys think there is anyone on the roster who could keep up with The Rock on promos? Comparing Cena's and Rock's insults of Michael Cole has shown us just how limited Cena actually is. Jericho's not around. Miz might be able to one day but certainly not yet. I think the only one even close to being able to keep up with him like Austin/Foley used to is Punk.

El Duke Silver
Aug 15, 2008

rarely goes out and should never be approached

Ziggy Tsardust posted:

Slightly different note but still Rock related: Do you guys think there is anyone on the roster who could keep up with The Rock on promos? Comparing Cena's and Rock's insults of Michael Cole has shown us just how limited Cena actually is. Jericho's not around. Miz might be able to one day but certainly not yet. I think the only one even close to being able to keep up with him like Austin/Foley used to is Punk.

Cena could probably do fine if he was given as much freedom to say whatever and be his own character like Rock was allowed to on Monday. That's the thing, this is really hard to judge because most guys are so restrained currently that you just can't compare it. And if you let them off that chain, in most cases you have no idea if they'd sink or swim.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010
It's hard to know who would actually be quick enough on there feet to verbally spar with someone like the Rock when so much of the WWE is scripted nowadays. I wish Kennedy didn't wash out because he actually seems like he's pretty capable when he's on the mic.

edit: beaten^^^

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

i love it when you call me big poppa

Ziggy Tsardust posted:

Does Mr. McMahon count as part of the roster? I love his promos. Otherwise, I think you summed it up pretty well. Punk's great, Miz could be great, but by sheer force of will, charisma and believing Rock would overpower anyone.

Historically who could keep up with him really? Flair, Austin, Piper, Jake Roberts, Foley, Jericho... who else? Dusty?

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Ziggy Tsardust posted:

While I obviously don't think he's as good as The Rock I think it would be fun to see he and Wade Barrett go back and forth. Barrett is the kind of super serious heel that The Rock would probably do really well against as far as having plenty of material to burn him with while Barrett could do the "I bet you think you're real amusing" thing he did so well toward Cena and fuel the fire.

As far as anyone being able to actually match The Rock I have no idea. Punk could be decent and Sheamus would be fun (again, if only to hear The Rock riff on his accent and his use of the word 'fella') but who knows if anyone could hang actually with him in dueling promos. There are some strong talkers on the current roster when given the ability to say what they want to say but guys like The Rock and Austin are on a different level.

Orange Carlisle fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Feb 19, 2011

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg

Ziggy Tsardust posted:

Triple H? :v: Also Edge and Christian, and Vince. But disregarding people from the Attitude Era, I'd say Punk and maybe Barrett. And really, I think Cena would do fine. My main problem with Cena is that he never treats anyone seriously, and when he goes serious mode he flies off on the wrong side of hammy.

I mean, not to detract from The Rock or his promo, but it was certainly helped by the fact that he had not made a live appearance on RAW in seven years. But uh, I don't exactly think we're going to see people being completely flummoxed and unable to keep up with The Rock in promos.

ProFro
Jun 29, 2008
Couple pages late, but in regard to this:

El Duke posted:

When Vince was coming up in the wrestling business, he was always Vince McMahon, Jr., and most of the boys would refer to him as just "Junior." (He's not actually a Junior, him and his father don't share the same middle name.) It was mainly used the differentiate Vince the Younger and Vince the Elder, but there was also some light ribbing involved, and Vince grew to resent it. As Vince gained more power and screwed over more people, Junior became the go to insult-shoot-name for Vince, and you'll see a lot of the older guys who have something against him using it to refer to him in interviews. So, because of these personal hangups, he's always found the name "Jr." to designate someone lesser than their father or original namesake, so he tends to avoid using it with wrestlers, even when it makes sense and would clear up the confusion of having two guys show up with the same name.

I remember hearing that Rey dropped the Jr. because he unmasked in WCW and Vince wanted to put him under a mask, largely for marketing reasons. These may seem unrelated but the idea is that because Rey Mysterio Jr. unmasked, he couldn't wrestle under that name in Mexico with the mask because they (obviously) take unmasking really seriously there.

Sugar Blaster
Dec 15, 2004

All ears, all eyes, all the time!
Yeah, a lot of people seem to have forgotten that stagnant "finally the Rock has come back to ____" Rock face promo he'd cut every week for like a year. Dude is one of the best ever at commanding a microphone and working a crowd over, but there was a reason the crowd was so eager to start booing him again.

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop

Mr. Carlisle posted:

While I obviously don't think he's as good as The Rock I think it would be fun to see he and Wade Barrett go back and forth. Barrett is the kind of super serious heel that The Rock would probably do really well against as far as having plenty of material to burn him with while Barrett could do the "I bet you think you're real amusing" thing he did so well toward Cena and fuel the fire.

Barrett and the Rock having a promo exchange would have the added benefit of Heath Slater reacting to both of them.

Sue Denim
Dec 20, 2009

Ziggy Tsardust posted:

CM Punk definitely, he has such a unique promo style that it wouldn't seem like he was trying to out do The Rock, plus he could get on his holier than thou high horse about The Rock only coming back when it was convenient for him and being some sort of hypocrite.

Wade Barrett, maybe. For similar reasons of having a very different promo style, plus he seems quick witted. He comes off okay against Cena, but obviously The Rock is quite a different manner, but I'd say he'd have a fighting chance.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Sue Denim posted:

CM Punk definitely, he has such a unique promo style that it wouldn't seem like he was trying to out do The Rock, plus he could get on his holier than thou high horse about The Rock only coming back when it was convenient for him and being some sort of hypocrite.

Wade Barrett, maybe. For similar reasons of having a very different promo style, plus he seems quick witted. He comes off okay against Cena, but obviously The Rock is quite a different manner, but I'd say he'd have a fighting chance.

I'd guess Punk would probably latch on to the call and response thing. Brand the 'millions... and millions' as sheep that Rock needs to feed his ego.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

Gonzo McFee posted:

All I know is that everyone I hang out with knows the Rock is back and it's been seen as a big deal by people who don't even watch Pro Wrestling anymore.

Rock has become a much bigger star after his pro wrestling career than he ever was as a pro wrestler.

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009

Ziggy Tsardust posted:

Santino Marella

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009

jeffersonlives posted:

The problem is that in the same way that it's hard to position Rock above Austin, Angle is miles behind both of those guys and Shawn Michaels on everything, and at least arguably behind other contemporaries like Jericho, Triple H, Foley, Cena, Benoit (not counting the ending of that story), Hart, etc.

I think if Angle stayed in WWE and had the exact same matches as he had in TNA the last five years he'd have a much better reputation here. I understand people not wanting to watch TNA but IMO you'd really have to outweigh drawing power as part of the WWE hype machine vs consistent match quality to say that he's "miles behind" anyone, especially Foley and Cena.

Totally subjective here but for me personally it'd be
Flair > Austin > Hogan > HBK > Rey > Angle > Triple H > Rock > Undertaker > Jericho

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."
The problem you run into is that if you want to start giving big props for business-meaningless indy work in these "best" discussions, Angle's an awful weird place to start over people like Danielson and Punk and Joe, who have had better matches and meant more for their groups than Angle has in TNA. And realistically, that's the level TNA is at, no matter how much they pretend to be major league: a mildly above test pattern rating on an okay rated cable station, house show crowds that regularly do at or below local indy numbers, and PPVs that draw indy numbers or slightly above. At any given time in wrestling history there are groups like this floating around, but usually the same money mark doesn't get ripped off for a decade straight so they don't last quite this long.

I like Angle. In many ways I'm glad he's in TNA because the lighter schedule seems to have slowed his physical issues. But yeah, there's a big difference between headlining WWE for these last five years and headlining TNA, and it's silly to think there isn't.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

jeffersonlives posted:

The problem you run into is that if you want to start giving big props for business-meaningless indy work in these "best" discussions, Angle's an awful weird place to start over people like Danielson and Punk and Joe, who have had better matches and meant more for their groups than Angle has in TNA. And realistically, that's the level TNA is at, no matter how much they pretend to be major league: a mildly above test pattern rating on an okay rated cable station, house show crowds that regularly do at or below local indy numbers, and PPVs that draw indy numbers or slightly above. At any given time in wrestling history there are groups like this floating around, but usually the same money mark doesn't get ripped off for a decade straight so they don't last quite this long.

I like Angle. In many ways I'm glad he's in TNA because the lighter schedule seems to have slowed his physical issues. But yeah, there's a big difference between headlining WWE for these last five years and headlining TNA, and it's silly to think there isn't.

TNA would likely not be in business today if Kurt Angle didn't jump in 2006. He's responsible for many of the international TV deals the company has.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

MassRayPer posted:

TNA would likely not be in business today if Kurt Angle didn't jump in 2006. He's responsible for many of the international TV deals the company has.

Angle in TNA drew several good buyrates with Joe and briefly had an impact on their credibility in the "mainstream." He was also on top for most of the ensuing four years as business tanked even worse than it had before he showed up or they had national television. I don't see this all as a net positive because he was partially responsible for some minor successes that led Dixie to shovel more money in.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I am excited that I can make a potentially offensive statement and the responses are very reasonable and thoughtful. Truly, a hallmark of a fine thread. I do apologize for bringing anecdotal evidence into the argument, but I tried to make it clear that I did not think that was valid. I was completely unaware of the huge tournament thread, so I apologize for that.

It seems that many of you genuinely think Stone Cold was better on the microphone than the Rock--and only a tiny minority seem to feel what I feel/felt, that the Rock was in an entirely different category. For what it is worth, I feel C. M. Punk is the only person who currently seems so intensely good at what he does that he seems to be on a different level than everyone else (though my knowledge is entirely through recommended-to-watch clips in some of these threads). So, you know, maybe that gives you more reasons to see that I am just crazy.

I also own a Sexual Chocolate t-shirt.

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

🏆🏆🏆

Do wrestlers shave or wax?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Depending on what sort of answer you were looking for: Yes, usually; depends on personal preference.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

You know what needs to come back? Tiered finishers. You know who would be the perfect person to facilitate this? John Morrison. In a way, he already has.

Basically, you have, instead of one finishing move, a few. These are essentially graded in terms of damage, etc. Maybe John's could go:

Flash Kick + Running Knee -> Starship Pain -> C4.

Most matches with your DiBiases and your Kidds will be won with the knee. Big matches with Sheamus and Punk, bust out the SSP. Once in a great while, probably in a title match, finish with a C4. This indicates you are really desperate.

It worked for Japan!

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

🏆🏆🏆

Gaz-L posted:

Depending on what sort of answer you were looking for: Yes, usually; depends on personal preference.

this is a serious question

Salt In The Wound
Oct 25, 2005

Hand Jobber Extraordinare

osama bin diesel posted:

this is a serious question

I know Zack Ryder uses Nair. I'd bet most guys just shave before that day's shows, but I don't know for sure.

Matata
Mar 20, 2007

"Is there any way to get rid of the 'stupid newbie' without spending money?"

Pneub posted:

Outstanding work lads.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

projecthalaxy posted:

You know what needs to come back? Tiered finishers. You know who would be the perfect person to facilitate this? John Morrison. In a way, he already has.

Basically, you have, instead of one finishing move, a few. These are essentially graded in terms of damage, etc. Maybe John's could go:

Flash Kick + Running Knee -> Starship Pain -> C4.

Most matches with your DiBiases and your Kidds will be won with the knee. Big matches with Sheamus and Punk, bust out the SSP. Once in a great while, probably in a title match, finish with a C4. This indicates you are really desperate.

It worked for Japan!

I have always loved the idea of wrestlers having a last gasp desperation kill move like the Burning Hammer. I always thought of Takers moved like that, ie. chokeslam> Last Ride> Tombstone. But he uses everything randomly so w/e.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

ADRIEN GRODYS FIFE posted:

It's an inside joke carried over from the Observer forums.
Can you let us in on it?

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

LividLiquid posted:

Can you let us in on it?

Someone on THE BOARD~! sent in a question to a Youshoot interview (I think Maria's may have been the first to talk about Batista penis) about the size of Batista's dick. It's become A Thing.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

LividLiquid posted:

Can you let us in on it?

observer forums user Sinbad (whose gimmick is to just be creepy in general) pretty much asks "How big is Batista's Dick" for every YouShoot interview. He legit asked it for the Maria one, but after her reaction, he just asks it all the time now.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Boy, that guy cashed in his fifteen minutes on something worthwhile, didn't he?

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

In 1985 Dr. Strange makes a rap album.

jeffersonlives posted:

Someone on THE BOARD~! sent in a question to a Youshoot interview (I think Maria's may have been the first to talk about Batista penis) about the size of Batista's dick. It's become A Thing.

Didn't the Maria shoot also include someone asking her how good Punk was in bed? Or something very similar, at least.

Wheresmy5bucks
Feb 10, 2007

So, where is it?
My favorite thing about those screenshots is the interviewer's growing annoyance at it all.

Also how Sheik is completely unphased by it.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

Wheresmy5bucks posted:

Also how Sheik is completely unphased by it.

"Batista has the TINY cock form steroids. He got a 4" cock gently caress Batista!"

LightsGameraAction
Sep 4, 2006

Pneub posted:

"Batista has the TINY cock form steroids. He got a 4" cock gently caress Batista!"

The best is the video of the girl asking Sheik to gently caress her in the rear end and it cuts back to him and he's blushing and super embarrassed.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
Tell me Waltman's response was "smaller than Chyna's"! :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009

ADRIEN GRODYS FIFE posted:

observer forums user Sinbad (whose gimmick is to just be creepy in general) pretty much asks "How big is Batista's Dick" for every YouShoot interview. He legit asked it for the Maria one, but after her reaction, he just asks it all the time now.

Have you ever listened to Sinbad do a podcast? I'm not sure that's a gimmick.