Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007
This thread makes me miss the NA I used to drive back home. The drat thing was shaking worse than Michael J Fox once you hit 70 mph, but I really envy the feeling of the drive.

Hopefully in a few years I'll be able to afford a used one to complement my DD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesh Croissant
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Are you sure that 2003 is a 5 speed? Or a LS? MY GIRLFRIEND has one, and is pretty sure the LS comes with the 6 speed. More info would be great :) Nice car in any case, you're going to love it!

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

unknown poster posted:

Made some t-shirts....Theyre pretty rad...

Holy poo poo, I'm buying one right now.

duep
Dec 9, 2005
I am the captain
Can a '92 run on E10 without modifications or will all that extra ethanol destroy hoses and seals and clog everything up?

duep fucked around with this message at 12:10 on Feb 12, 2011

FuncType
Mar 29, 2007

Tactical Wiener Lover

mattdizzleZ28 posted:

Are you sure that 2003 is a 5 speed? Or a LS? MY GIRLFRIEND has one, and is pretty sure the LS comes with the 6 speed. More info would be great :) Nice car in any case, you're going to love it!

VIN pulls up as an LS. I am pretty sure that the 6 speed was an option, not standard equipment though. I'll have to go double check.

EDIT: I stand corrected, it is an optioned up base with the suspension package and other bonus features. It does not have leather or the 6spd. Strange that the VIN shows LS though.

The car is obscenely fun to drive and should make my hike to work a whole lot more worthwhile.

FuncType fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Feb 12, 2011

TheGreenBandit
Dec 22, 2006

President of the United States of Boogers

zycl0n posted:

Pulled the trigger this morning. 2003 LS 5spd with 43,000 miles. I haven't stopped grinning like a moron all day. Better pics to come soon.

This is awesome! I'm about to pull the trigger on a silver 2001 LS myself. I'm a bit worried about the smog report though, are these numbers bad? It passes, but it's way over average in HC and NO emissions, and I don't want some gotcha biting me later. I was giggling like a girl after taking it out for a drive.
pre:
		|%CO2	|%O2	|HC(ppm)	|CO(%)		|NO(ppm)
Test	RPM	|Meas	|Meas	|Max Ave Meas	|Max Ave Meas	|Max Ave Meas
15mph	2101	|13.64	|1.35	|64  4  54	|0.55 0.01 0.02	|477 16 306	|Pass
25mph	2450	|13.61	|1.41	|47  4  27	|0.54 0.01 0.01	|764 18 547	|Pass

Joe Mama
May 10, 2008
HCs and NOX are a tad high, probably needs a cat soon. Mine was actually worse that that but it's got a supercharger.

The Third Man
Nov 5, 2005

I know how much you like ponies so I got you a ponies avatar bro
I'm starting to compile a list of poo poo I need to do to my car this spring and I want to try and deal with the creeping rust/rot in one of my rocker panels, but I'm really not looking forward to it. Without a picture of the damage in question handy, about how much can I expect to pay to get it dealt with?

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

The weather finally warmed up and I put the top down in what seemed like forever. Driving with it down I noticed the valve tick being kinda loud. Either this just showed up or I wasn't paying attention before, but it seems kind of loud (increases with rpm etc). Last fillup I put half a can of seafoam in the tank, drove it like a motherfucker - got a few more mpgs than before. The weird thing about the valve tick is it gets really loud when the fuel is low, but when I fill the tank it mostly goes away. What's going on here?

I've been changing oil every 4-5k with full synthetic since I do primarily highway driving. When I changed oil in the fall I went to a 10w40 for the winter. Going to switch to 5w40 this oil change coming up; will a lighter weight oil make the ticking worse?

Russian Bear fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Feb 17, 2011

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...

Russian Bear posted:

The weather finally warmed up and I put the top down in what seemed like forever. Driving with it down I noticed the valve tick being kinda loud. Either this just showed up or I wasn't paying attention before, but it seems kind of loud (increases with rpm etc). Last fillup I put half a can of seafoam in the tank, drove it like a motherfucker - got a few more mpgs than before. The weird thing about the valve tick is it gets really loud when the fuel is low, but when I fill the tank it mostly goes away. What's going on here?

I've been changing oil every 4-5k with full synthetic since I do primarily highway driving. When I changed oil in the fall I went to a 10w40 for the winter. Going to switch to 5w40 this oil change coming up; will a lighter weight oil make the ticking worse?

Wouldn't you want to switch to a lighter oil in the winter? I do 0W30 in my Camry in the winter and 5W30 in the summer.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Maybe I got some bad information last year then. The car started every time this winter even when it was like 0 degrees. So what's the recommended oil weight for spring/summer use? (St. Louis area if climate matters)

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...

Russian Bear posted:

Maybe I got some bad information last year then. The car started every time this winter even when it was like 0 degrees. So what's the recommended oil weight for spring/summer use? (St. Louis area if climate matters)

10W is good for down to -20F so you're good there. The Camry lives in Minnesota/Chicago which is why I went for the 0W30. The second number (after the W) should be basically the same in both summer and winter, since that is the viscosity at operating temperature.

For more info read this: http://www.aa1car.com/library/oil_viscosity.htm

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Replacing the HLAs isn't exactly hard, but it's not easy either. Depending on the severity of the tick, you can do an oil change and see if that gets rid of it. Usually it'll start ticking when you don't have enough oil and switching to a higher weight usually kills it completely.

I had some bad ticking last weekend, but I hadn't started it in like 3 weeks and as soon as the oil was up to temp, it was silent all day.

Lyesh
Apr 9, 2003

And remember that if your NB is ticking, you've spun a rod bearing.

Guess how I know :(

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Phone posted:

Replacing the HLAs isn't exactly hard, but it's not easy either. Depending on the severity of the tick, you can do an oil change and see if that gets rid of it. Usually it'll start ticking when you don't have enough oil and switching to a higher weight usually kills it completely.

I had some bad ticking last weekend, but I hadn't started it in like 3 weeks and as soon as the oil was up to temp, it was silent all day.

Thanks for all the info guys. I'm looking in to the HLA cleaning on mnet. Does oil get less viscous as time goes on and it gets broken down?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
It's a bad design from the factory and oil doesn't drain as readily from the HLAs as they should. The ticking noise you hear is from the HLA not being fully pressurized with oil and it's the cam hitting it.

Oils will break down with time and/or heat, but what usually happens is that the HLAs slowly drain after a decent bit of time.

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

:whatup:

Also enough snow melted to open up the garage so I fired her up for a bit :unsmith:

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003
Not specific to miatas at all, but I'm having issues with noise when listening to the radio in my miata with the engine on only. When listening to Aux in, this problem doesn't exist.

Bad ground on the head unit?

Tactical Bonnet
Nov 5, 2005

You'd be distressed too if some pile of bones just told you your favorite hat was stupid.
Is there a way to take out the radio without removing the center console? At some point the Nardi knob in my 95M was glued to the shift lever and so I can't remove the center console piece because I can't remove the knob. Is it possible to get the piece around the stereo off without completely removing the center piece?

Could I pivot the loose center piece around the shift level and get enough room? Can I even loosen the center console without removing the shift boot?

Last one: Is it possible to wire an aux in to the stock head unit or am I going to have to just replace it since now all I have is about 92-99FM band(not all bad, my favorite station is 93.3) and my tape deck also quit?

FunkyJunk
Jul 14, 2004

What's the policy on posting ads here for Miatas for sale? I have a 2001 LS (fully optioned) that I need to sell soon.

Tactical Bonnet
Nov 5, 2005

You'd be distressed too if some pile of bones just told you your favorite hat was stupid.
I think you just have to post a thread in SA mart and then I think you can plug it here via link.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Tactical Bonnet posted:

Last one: Is it possible to wire an aux in to the stock head unit or am I going to have to just replace it since now all I have is about 92-99FM band(not all bad, my favorite station is 93.3) and my tape deck also quit?

Depends. Can you find a picture of your radio? I don't think so. I got lucky since 96.5-97 got different radios that allow AUX in. Was there a CD changer option in 1995?

Tactical Bonnet posted:

Is there a way to take out the radio without removing the center console? At some point the Nardi knob in my 95M was glued to the shift lever and so I can't remove the center console piece because I can't remove the knob. Is it possible to get the piece around the stereo off without completely removing the center piece?

Could I pivot the loose center piece around the shift level and get enough room? Can I even loosen the center console without removing the shift boot?

I take my radio in and out all the time in my 1997 without taking my Nardi knob off. I'm struggling to see how you can't do it. Again, picture of radio plz.

Tactical Bonnet
Nov 5, 2005

Everything I've seen says step one is remove the knob so you can remove the center console and thus remove the part of the dash around the head unit and heater/AC controls. What I was asking was whether or not it was possible to do without completely removing the center console(since it's stuck with the shift knob), apparently it is possible.

I don't know if there was a CD CHANGER option, but mine definitely has a defunct CD PLAYER.

beatdown
Mar 6, 2007

You should be able to still lift the center console up high enough to access the screws to remove the face plate, though its been a while since I've been in there. You may even be able to rotate it out of the way, but the gas lid release may get in the way.

def snow leppard
Sep 12, 2010

What do you guys think of this?
http://manitoba.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-cars-trucks-1992-Mazda-MX-5-Miata-Ltd-Ed-Convertible-W0QQAdIdZ261585006

I've been casually watching kijiji for a miata and this popped up. I can't really afford it but I wanted to see if this is a good deal or what.

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

Clank posted:

http://manitoba.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-cars-trucks-1992-Mazda-MX-5-Miata-Ltd-Ed-Convertible-W0QQAdIdZ261585006

I've been casually watching kijiji for a miata and this popped up. I can't really afford it but I wanted to see if this is a good deal or what.
gently caress no, unless Canadian prices are 250% of what we pay here.

Also I just picked up a KG Works cluster.

Joe Mama
May 10, 2008

destructo posted:

Also I just picked up a KG Works cluster.

That is sweet. Just needs some Stewart Warner gauges.

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

Joe Mama posted:

That is sweet. Just needs some Stewart Warner gauges.
I'm getting these gauge faces to fill it out. "Drive Topless Forever" :3:. Not sure what color to run the backlighting though. Probably either amber or blue/purple. Green might be a bit funny.

I want the whole Artworks Dewa setup but I don't feel like dropping $800 on it.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Jesus, that's beautiful. I kinda want one.

I'm googling around and finding some info, but not nearly as much as I hoped ... is there a "kit" to put a 13B into a Miata? I'm starting to have stupid dreams again, and I can afford it, so I'm thinking about finding a good shell with a blown motor, a 13B, and a kit, but the kit is elusive.

I found a forum post mentioning a Mazsport kit, but their website is down, and it appears it's not a full kit - it still requires welding up mounts (they say "considerable fabrication") and such.

Should I just go back to my original plan of a Z with an LS1? I kind of don't want to because Zs are hard to find without rust, and I don't feel like doing bodywork.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Mix the two ideas. LS1 in a Miata, pretty sure it's actually easier to do than a rotary.

def snow leppard
Sep 12, 2010

destructo posted:

Yea this isn't California. All the ones I've seen are around that price. Newer ones even more.

edit: sweet jesus, browsing ebay for ones in the states and wow they are cheap.

def snow leppard fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Feb 19, 2011

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

IOwnCalculus posted:

Mix the two ideas. LS1 in a Miata, pretty sure it's actually easier to do than a rotary.
Hmmmm. I like the idea. Crap, actually looking at the numbers is making me feel irresponsible, though. 6500 for the kit, probably 3 for an engine and tranny, 2-3 for a clean shell ... should I spend 13k building a really fun fast car, or just buy a new car? Hah!

destructo
Apr 29, 2006
You may want to PM Nev on Clubroadster.net if you're interested in the 13B swap -- he's just finishing up his.

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003

Clank posted:

:wtf: That's very pricey.... I mean the yellow is rare but that's a lot of miles for that kinda money.

Sudden Infant Def Syndrome
Oct 2, 2004

Miatas demand a higher price in Canada. I bought a '90 with 115k on it for $6000, and sold it three years later for $4500 with around 200k on it. And it sold in like 6 hours - in the middle of January.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
So this at guy my work wants to outright trade his '01 Miata 1.8 with 140,000 miles on it for my '98 Integra LS 2Door with 85,000 (possibly rolled back by previous owner).

Some issues include: his car is a bit riced out, something like new exhaust, intake, I'm not sure. He says it needs a new oxygen sensor and "the air condition make a squeak for a bit when it kicks in" also he wants to keep his ugly aftermarket wheels so I would be driving around with Acura wheels on it for awhile. I gave it a look-over before I left today and all the body panels line up flush, the paint matches on all of them. the front badge is missing he says he hit a dear but only that broke. Paint job is in great condition (though I sort of hate silver) couldn't find any dents. it has HID headlights installed. Also he's 20, so I'm assuming it was driven like something owned by a 20 year old.

My car has a trunk leak, I ended up fixing it by drilling drain holes in the bottom of the trunk. leaks oil a bit, muffler has a hole in the welding which causes it to whistle. paint is faded fairly badly, has some dents including one about 7 inches wide, and the power locks are sort of odd, like locking the car if you try to unlock with the driver side door open. it's also been very reliable in the 2 years that I've owned it, it's fun as hell to drive, has a moon-roof etc etc I love my car. That said, I've always wanted a Miata, ever since I was a kid, so this opportunity seems promising. what do you guys think? Think of any reasons not to go through with this?

runaway dog fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Feb 20, 2011

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

destructo posted:

I'm getting these gauge faces to fill it out. "Drive Topless Forever" :3:. Not sure what color to run the backlighting though. Probably either amber or blue/purple. Green might be a bit funny.

I want the whole Artworks Dewa setup but I don't feel like dropping $800 on it.

Looks amazing. Is there a tach option that sweeps through fewer RPMs?

Flesh Croissant
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Speaking of gauges, is it possible to take the OEM ones and turn the tach so the shift point (~7,000rpm) is straight up? Like an old porsche? I dont wanna invest in new gauge faces, i assume there would be some trimming involved, but the needle apperantly recenters itself.

helot
Nov 3, 2006

Put on some new brakes today (Porterfield R4S pads and PowerSlot rotors):

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

destructo posted:

Well that seals it...my next car is going to be a Miata.