Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Peripheral
Feb 21, 2006
A language is a dialect with an army and a navy.
It's "silmiyya", not "saamiyya". That's what I thought for a sec too, though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
Oh that makes so much more sense.

"Our peaceful movement demands legitimacy."

edit: \/\\/\/ even better

Xandu fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Feb 20, 2011

Peripheral
Feb 21, 2006
"Our movement is peaceful; our demands are legitimate."

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Peripheral posted:

"Our movement is peaceful; our demands are legitimate."
That is an excellent slogan. Concise, to the point, makes anyone who stands in their way look like an inhuman monster.

Apology
Nov 12, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post
We may start hearing more out of Libya soon:

quote:

@Raafatology
Raafat- نيويورك
RT"@FlightSim95: RE-TWEET!!! URGENT!!! WE NEED THE MEDIA TO GET INTO #LIBYA FROM #EGYPT NOW!!!! THE BORDER IS FREE AND OPEN!!"

This seems to summarize the issues in the Middle East and North Africa:

quote:

@feb17voices
Feb 17 voices
LPC #Benghazi: I have worked my whole life, supporting myself. Now I cannot support myself in my own country. #Libya #feb17

Are you listening, US Congress?!?

Bahrain's special envoy to the US thinks it's perfectly all right to slaughter people as long as it's in the interests of the ruling class:

quote:

Bahrain’s Special Envoy to the United States, Latif Al-Zayani thinks the force used to attack and sometimes kill protesters in Bahrain has been "proportional" and "legal". The clip above with Suzanne Malveaux this morning. But he said essentially the same thing to Candy Crowley of CNN on Thursday night.

Candy Crowley: "There does not seem to have been any harm done on the other side of this conflict. And yet we’re told that three protesters were killed. Is it possible that this was an overreaction? Could it have been dealt with in some other way?"

Latif Al-Zayani: "No, actually. In our procedure, we always use force that is proportional. The force was proportional, minimum possible. Tear gas were—was used to be effective enough to disperse the people."

No mention of the use of rubber bullets, beatings against women and children during the crackdown at Pearl roundabout. And nothing at all of course about the live ammunition now being used. Watch this video below from earlier today and ask yourself if this looks "proportional".

And there are two videos on the page, one of which is marked "graphic":

http://videocafe.crooksandliars.com/scarce/proportional

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

Apology posted:

Bahrain's special envoy to the US thinks it's perfectly all right to slaughter people as long as it's in the interests of the ruling class:

And there are two videos on the page, one of which is marked "graphic":

Even the King and Crown Prince admit it was disproportionate and claim that it will be investigated. This guy is ridiculous.

MJB
Nov 22, 2003

"...by any means necessary."

Apology posted:

[...]

Jesus Christ. A guy calmly lying like that in the face of clear video evidence is as chilling in its own way as the massacres have been themselves. Jedi mind tricks don't work in real life, homey.

Peripheral
Feb 21, 2006

Xandu posted:

I can't figure out what سامية means in the first one, but I"m pretty sure the bottom one (which is presumably the photoshopped one) says "No treacherous Arab will remain alive in Iran"

Sorry, just saw this. Second one says "No to the treacherous Arab; long live Iran!"

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Xandu posted:

Even the King and Crown Prince admit it was disproportionate and claim that it will be investigated. This guy is ridiculous.
Oh right, they are going to "investigate" lies by one of their government officials who is probably like seven of them's brother or something?

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

Thanks for the corrections, my Arabic's not great.

Samurai Sanders posted:

Oh right, they are going to "investigate" lies by one of their government officials who is probably like seven of them's brother or something?

Of course not, but my point is this guy isn't even on message.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

rum sodomy the lash posted:

dark red - revolutions
red - governmental changes
orange major protests
yellow minor protests

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Isentropy posted:

Unlike America, France actually supported their buddies with actions.

I :glomp: you france
The french police actually trained the Bahrain police force in the bloody art of crowd control, fyi.

And everyone should google "alliot+marie+scandal+tunisia", it's funnier when you know that Alliot Marie was in vacation in Tunisia in December with her 92 years old father, flying several trips in a private jet owned by a friend of the Ben Ali clan, having phone calls with Ben Ali and "watching" her father buy a Tunisian company in the plane for 100+k €. She then denied being aware of the riots when she was in "vacation" (despite the first protests starting a week before her trip, what a good foreign minister!), denied that the jet owner was a friend of Ben Ali (he was on of Ben Ali's last presidential campaign main fundraiser), denied that she had phone calls with Ben Ali (twice, one denial for each phone call), denied there was anything wrong with her father deals and she added that people should be ashamed to attack her family 'just' to hurt her.

And last December, the French Prime Minister was in vacation in Egypt.

Also the new french ambassador in Tunisia is a sarkozist neocon, the former french ambassador in Iraq (the "Iraq is a democratic workshop", "we are here to get some reconstruction contracts", "Bush was right" type of guy). There was a protest in front of the French Ambassador today, telling him to "GET OUT LITTLE SARKO" after he apparently went apeshit on Tunisian tv when a Tunisian journalist asked him what was the official french position on the Alliot Marie scandal.

Toplowtech fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Feb 20, 2011

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
'minor protests' in Somalia? I guess that's one way to put it when the country has been in civil war for twenty years now.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Nenonen posted:

'minor protests' in Somalia? I guess that's one way to put it when the country has been in civil war for twenty years now.

Yeah, I mean who would the protests be directed at? The "government", what government? The warlords, they've starved, murdered and ravaged civilians, I doubt a peaceful protest would make a good appeal to their hearts.

The Brown Menace
Dec 24, 2010

Now comes in all colors.

Toplowtech posted:

The french police actually trained the Bahrain police force in the bloody art of crowd control, fyi.

And everyone should google "alliot+marie+scandal+tunisia", it's funnier when you know that Alliot Marie was in vacation in Tunisia in December with her 92 years old father, flying several trips in a private jet owned by a friend of the Ben Ali clan, having phone calls with Ben Ali and "watching" her father buy a Tunisian company in the plane for 100+k €. She then denied being aware of the riots when she was in "vacation" (despite the first protests starting a week before her trip, what a good foreign minister!), denied that the jet owner was a friend of Ben Ali (he was on of Ben Ali's last presidential campaign main fundraiser), denied that she had phone calls with Ben Ali (twice, one denial for each phone call), denied there was anything wrong with her father deals and she added that people should be ashamed to attack her family 'just' to hurt her.

And last December, the French Prime Minister was in vacation in Egypt.

Also the new french ambassador in Tunisia is a sarkozist neocon, the former french ambassador in Iraq (the "Iraq is a democratic workshop", "we are here to get some reconstruction contracts", "Bush was right" type of guy). There was a protest in front of the French Ambassador today, telling him to "GET OUT LITTLE SARKO" after he apparently went apeshit on Tunisian tv when a Tunisian journalist asked him what was the official french position on the Alliot Marie scandal.

This is really not surprising, France is a real piece of poo poo country when it comes to foreign policy.

QuentinCompson
Mar 11, 2009

The Brown Menace posted:

This is really not surprising, France is a real piece of poo poo country

Nice ambience, though.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

The Brown Menace posted:

This is really not surprising, France is a real piece of poo poo country when it comes to foreign policy.
It's getting far worse with Sarkozy. There is a current diplomatic row between Mexico and France because Sarkozy decided to dedicate the "Year of Mexico in France" (it's a yearly joint cultural celebration event in France with a new country each year and this year, it's Mexico's turn) to a French woman who is currently serving a 60 years sentence on kidnapping charges in Mexico. The Mexican government decided to withdraw. Sarkozy is the smoothest diplomat since Kaiser Wilhelm II.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

http://audioboo.fm/boos/282959-englishtrans-lpc-benghazi-man-muammar-s-special-forces-are-executing-doctors-libya-feb17

Call with man from Benghazi, with english translation.

Christina Arugula
Aug 10, 2004
How do you like your lawn? Broiled or charred?
Ramrod XTreme
Not really middle east but still certainly interesting.
http://www.mercurynews.com/breaking-news/ci_17431486?nclick_check=1

Apparently there are calls in China for their own protests. Knowing the Chinese Government, they will arrest and/or kill everyone involved. Still I know they have major problems, so this could be interesting.

Also Anon has started up #OpChina.

Christina Arugula fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Feb 20, 2011

Apology
Nov 12, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post
The President Who Wouldn't Step Down: Violence in the Ivory Coast today, in which President Laurent Gbagbo somehow managed to lose the election last year but refuses to step down. This guy has got to be the most incompetent dictator ever---losing the election---he can't even rig the vote like Mubarak did!

quote:

Deaths as Ivory Coast forces open fire on protesters

Published: 19th Feb 2011 20:05:43

At least two people have died after Ivorian forces opened fire on protesters demanding President Laurent Gbagbo step down, witnesses said.

Several others were injured in the confrontation, which took place in a neighbourhood loyal to Mr Gbagbo's rival, Alassane Ouattara, in Abidjan.

Mr Ouattara is widely recognised as the victor of presidential polls last year, but Mr Gbagbo refuses to cede power.

Tensions have been high in the West African nation since the elections.

Hundreds of youths gathered in the neighbourhood of Abobo before security forces opened fire and used tear gas in an effort to disperse them.

A resident told AFP news agency that forces had "fired into the crowd leaving people running for cover, but they chased them".

Another resident, 30-year-old Tieba Doumbia, said a tear gas grenade had also landed in a local market, forcing dozens of women to flee.

One of those killed was a woman who was hit by a stray bullet, witnesses and an official told Reuters news agency.

Protesters also raided the department store of a Lebanese businessmen who is seen as close to Mr Gbagbo.

The neighbourhood of Abobo has often been the scene of violent clashes between security forces and civilians.

At least 300 people have been killed in violence since the polls, mostly supporters of Mr Ouattara killed by pro-Gbagbo forces, the United Nations says.

November's presidential vote was supposed to reunify the world's largest cocoa producer, which has been divided between north and south since a conflict in 2002.

http://myfeedme.com/lm/ivory_coast/15245614
http://www.londonwired.co.uk/news.php/132030-Deaths-as-Ivory-Coast-forces-open-fire-on-protesters

Gaddahfi knows how to prevent the army and police from siding with the protesters---just outsource your pro-government security forces:

quote:

@Dima_Khatib
Dima Khatib أنا ديمة
Witness tells AlJazeera.net: a plane full of mercenaries leaves Harare Airport in Zimbabwe headed to #Libya #feb17

I think it's so wonderful that the successful Egyptian protesters are stepping in to help those countries that are still struggling with their own protests:

quote:

@Jan25voices
Jan25 Voices
RT @feb17voices: LPC #Benghazi: "Ghaddafi could drown in Libya's oil and money. But not a drop for the people." #Feb17 #Libya

Jan25voices was one of the more prolific Twitter reporters during the Egyptian protests. It's a rare show of Arab unity, and may be unprecedented.

And then there's this, listen to this audioboo link:

quote:

@feb17voices
Feb 17 voices
Audioboo: ENGLISHTRANS LPC #Benghazi man: "Muammar's special forces are executing doctors." #Libya #Feb17 http://boo.fm/b282959

Of everything we've seen and heard so far, shooting doctors and using antiaircraft weapons against human beings has to be the most despicable. Burn in hell, Gaddhafi. BURN. IN. HELL.

Edit: Beat to the Boo by Xandu wooo

The Brown Menace
Dec 24, 2010

Now comes in all colors.

QuentinCompson posted:

Nice ambience, though.

I love the Cote D'Azur as much as the next guy, but goddamn man France has been going full-loving-retard with their foreign policy for a few decades now.

I mean how sad is it that a staunch French supremacist like De Gaulle was the last French leader to have somewhat sane views on French foreign relations.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Rosscifer posted:

Why would you say that?

If you look at the other videos in his channel you can see the protesters are waving Yemeni flags, so I doubt it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-qOIILPVtw&t=2m30s

Because Chadian forces used M40 recoilless rifles against the Libyans (look up the Toyota War). So under the assumption that is in Libya (it may very well not be), that would be the most likely place Libyans got one.

Cacatua
Jan 17, 2006

Apology posted:

Of everything we've seen and heard so far, shooting doctors and using antiaircraft weapons against human beings has to be the most despicable. Burn in hell, Gaddhafi. BURN. IN. HELL.

Edit: Beat to the Boo by Xandu wooo

I knew that things were going to get very ugly in Libya but this is unreal. Apparently, well-paid mercenaries from various countries (Congo, Zimbabwe) are being shipped in. There are reports of planes departing from Harare full of soldiers headed to Libya. Gaddafi has completely lost his mind - he's paying foreign soldiers to kill his own people.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

Apology posted:

The Jan25voices/feb17voices is a really interesting and important thing to come out of this. Being able to listen to regular people is hugely helpful. For all the talk of citizen journalism, this is one of the better examples.

Warbadger posted:

Because Chadian forces used M40 recoilless rifles against the Libyans (look up the Toyota War). So under the assumption that is in Libya (it may very well not be), that would be the most likely place Libyans got one.

You guys are talking about two different videos. The first was of a recoilless rifle in Libya and the second was of a protest in Yemen.

Jut
May 16, 2005

by Ralp

MrQwerty posted:

Oh I'm well aware of that situation. Ever since Mubarak's regime fell I've been wondering what is going to happen if the slave class of the west side of the Persian Gulf gets emboldened.

They will be slaughtered like the animals they are believed to be (in the eyes of the host country).
I lived in Qatar for two years, and the slave class are barely seen as human.

Slantedfloors
Apr 29, 2008

Wait, What?
I can't really see the outcome of the African mercenaries in Libya as something other than it massively loving backfiring and polarizing all dissent in the country against the Ghadaffi regime.

If the videos are to be believed, the mercenaries are already getting killed and I can't see them sticking around too long once people start fighting back. I'm also kind of doubting that any of them will survive long if they get caught by the protesters, either.

Slantedfloors fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Feb 20, 2011

Apology
Nov 12, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post
There's talk of fundamentalist Islamic violence to come in Indonesia next week:

quote:

Islamic hardliners plan Jakarta march
February 20, 2011 - 1:29PM
AAP

Hardline Islamists are planning a second mass rally in the Indonesian capital as they continue to threaten to oust President Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono unless he outlaws a minority Muslim sect.

The Islamic Defenders Front (FPI), linked to recent deadly acts of religious violence in Indonesia, has called for a revolution like that seen in Egypt and claims thousands of its members and supporters will march on the State Palace next month.

On Friday, several hundred members of the group carried banners as they protested in central Jakarta calling for Dr Yudhoyono to disband Ahmadiyah, a minority Muslim sect, shouting that they wanted an "Islamic revolution".

Members of FPI have been linked to the murder of three Ahmadiyah during a violent rampage involving 1500 people in west Java's Banten province two weeks ago, which prompted the president to call for extremist groups to be brought into line and for greater religious tolerance in Indonesia.

They can't have an Egyptian-style revolution like they're calling for, though. For one thing, they're not peacefully protesting for more freedom and for democracy, they're rioting for less freedom and for oppression of a minority group. I think this is more of a pogrom than a protest. It's an example of what the right-wingers in the US have been crapping their pants about for the past month: Radical Muslims taking advantage of the situation in order to wrest control away from a mostly secular democratic government and replace it with a fundamentalist Islamic government. Who wants to bet that nobody in the US gives a poo poo about fundamentalist Islam taking over in Indonesia since they don't export oil any more or have any US military bases, though?

I'm not going to add Indonesia to the list. This is not the same type of revolution or protest at all.

Narmi
Feb 26, 2008

Slantedfloors posted:

I can't really see the outcome of the African mercenaries in Libya as something other than it massively loving backfiring and polarizing all dissent in the country against the Ghadaffi regime.

If the videos are to be believed, the mercenaries are already getting killed and I can't see them sticking around too long once people start fighting back.

There was a Lybian writer interviewed who claimed that the mercenaries that had been captured said that they had been promised $30,000 dollars each, so I doubt there's a shortage of thugs they can hire.

Apology posted:

They can't have an Egyptian-style revolution like they're calling for, though. For one thing, they're not peacefully protesting for more freedom and for democracy, they're rioting for less freedom and for oppression of a minority group. I think this is more of a pogrom than a protest. It's an example of what the right-wingers in the US have been crapping their pants about for the past month: Radical Muslims taking advantage of the situation in order to wrest control away from a mostly secular democratic government and replace it with a fundamentalist Islamic government. Who wants to bet that nobody in the US gives a poo poo about fundamentalist Islam taking over in Indonesia since they don't export oil any more or have any US military bases, though?

I'm not going to add Indonesia to the list. This is not the same type of revolution or protest at all.

Those guys didn't get the message of the protesters in Egypt at all. Hopefully it dies out really quickly, though I'm worried that they might actually have the numbers to pull something off.

Narmi fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Feb 20, 2011

Slantedfloors
Apr 29, 2008

Wait, What?

Narmi posted:

There was a Lybian writer interviewed who claimed that the mercenaries that had been captured said that they had been promised $30,000 dollars each, so I doubt there's a shortage of thugs they can hire.

$30,000 will start seeming like a lot less once the mercenaries start getting found sans heads.

It's nice the thug-for-hire business is undergoing such a boom, though. I mean, they went from $8/day to $30,000? The Mubs should have held out for more.

sweeptheleg
Nov 26, 2007
Blackwater guys are probaby suiting up

Slantedfloors
Apr 29, 2008

Wait, What?

sweeptheleg posted:

Blackwater guys are probaby suiting up

I don't think Libya can afford their civilian-slaughtering rates.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
I hope that 2011 will be remembered in Middle East/African history in a similar vein as 1848 is in European history. Except with more permanent successes.

QuentinCompson
Mar 11, 2009

Apology posted:

Muhammad ibn abd al-Wahhab ruined everything and the third Saudi state figured the best way to deal with it was to spread the ruin around everywhere it could.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Space Monster posted:

I would say the common people of the region are displaying a remarkable amount of solidarity. February is apparently official 'lets stop this retarded theology/monarchy/military dictatorship bullshit' month. I haven't been this hopeful about the future of the world in a very long time.

(I'm also one of those damned conservatives. Love this thread full of stereotyping hatred.)

Black History Month move over, it's Brown History Month now!

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

I may not know what I'm talking about, but I sure love cops! ^^ Boy, but that boot is just yummy!
Lipstick Apathy

Cacatua posted:

More notes on Libya (from http://twitter.com/SultanAlQassemi)

Al Hurra: Anonymous caller from Benghazi: Claims that Saadi Al Gaddafi has been captured by protesters in Benghazi

Al Hurra is US Govt. funded propaganda TV.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Al_hurra

Frozen Horse
Aug 6, 2007
Just a humble wandering street philosopher.

Narmi posted:

Those guys didn't get the message of the protesters in Egypt at all. Hopefully it dies out really quickly, though I'm worried that they might actually have the numbers to pull something off.

I'm going to reverse my earlier optimism about Quaddafi's chances for pulling off a soft landing. I'm also going to predict that the army is going to react poorly to foreign mercenaries attacking their countrymen. Maybe I'm a soft westerner, but $30,000 wouldn't be enough for it to be worth it to get shot by the Libyan army.

Apology
Nov 12, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post
There are more weird rumors about an uprising in China:

quote:

China in revolution call crackdown
(UKPA) – 56 minutes ago
Chinese authorities have cracked down on activists amid a call for people to gather in more than a dozen cities for a "Jasmine Revolution" apparently inspired by the pro-democracy protests sweeping the Middle East.
The source of the call was not known, but authorities moved to halt its spread online and police detained at least 14 people, by one activist's count.
Searches for the word "jasmine" were blocked on China's largest Twitter-like microblog and the website where the request first appeared said it was hit by an attack.
Activists seemed not to know what to make of the call to protest, even as they passed it on. They said they were unaware of any known group being involved in the request for citizens to gather in 13 cities and shout: "We want food, we want work, we want housing, we want fairness."
Some even wondered whether the call was "performance art" instead of a serious move in the footsteps of recent protests in Egypt, Tunisia, Bahrain, Yemen, Algeria and Libya.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/uk..._medium=twitter

I would guess that "performance art" of this type is extremely unlikely in China. I would say that "Anonymous" would be a much more likely source of something like this.

BIG HORNY COW
Apr 11, 2003

Frozen Horse posted:

I'm going to reverse my earlier optimism about Quaddafi's chances for pulling off a soft landing. I'm also going to predict that the army is going to react poorly to foreign mercenaries attacking their countrymen. Maybe I'm a soft westerner, but $30,000 wouldn't be enough for it to be worth it to get shot by the Libyan army.
The way this is all going down, I'd really bet we'll see a deposed President hat trick.

Slantedfloors
Apr 29, 2008

Wait, What?

BIG HORNY COW posted:

The way this is all going down, I'd really bet we'll see a deposed President hat trick.
A couple more and they got a basketball team. They can be the new Washington Generals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HORNY COW
Apr 11, 2003

Slantedfloors posted:

A couple more and they got a basketball team. They can be the new Washington Generals.

Or a barbershop quartet, perhaps.

• Locked thread