Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

Atticus Finch posted:

Taker/Lesnar has already happened, and I love Swagger but Angle/Swagger as a big money dream match?

It could be a big money dream match. Not today, but it could become one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Two questions, both involving discussion that has appeared in the past couple of pages.

a. When I was younger and really into wrestling (back during Rock's big face run while Austin was injured, in particular), I discovered the internet wrestling community. Well, it was the little section on GameFAQs (don't judge me, I was about 13). I remember seeing a lot of hate for the Rock because of his ability to work. It was so bad I even hated the Rock for a while because it rubbed off on me, preferring Angle and Taker, even though I started watching wrestling with the Rock as my favorite. Do any IWC veterans from back then remember any anti-Rock sentiment like this? Or was this just a stupid group of fans? I ask because many think the Rock is one of the greatest of all time, and during that discussion I didn't see anything really criticizing his working ability when everyone hated him back then, IIRC. Maybe it was just a case of looking at the present with poo poo colored glasses.

b. So the whole "Batista Dick" thing involves Maria's reaction to it? I'm kind of curious, what was the reaction? That screenshot really didn't help much. How did Sean Waltman react too?

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
There's always gonna be somebody who hates the top guy.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Sugar Blaster posted:

Yeah, but now people in the mainstream actually know/care about Brock.
I'm pretty sure he's the biggest PPV draw of all time.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
There was a big sentiment early on that the Rock was a lovely worker. By 98 I think most people on the net would admit he was athletic and could sell, but maybe lacked in other areas. As time went on more and more people realized he was good. After that Iron Man match with HHH only the most devoted Rock haters thought he sucked.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA

MassRayPer posted:

There was a big sentiment early on that the Rock was a lovely worker. By 98 I think most people on the net would admit he was athletic and could sell, but maybe lacked in other areas. As time went on more and more people realized he was good. After that Iron Man match with HHH only the most devoted Rock haters thought he sucked.

I remember some psycho from 411 who would only call him Flex Kavana. Eric Sceluerewski?

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

crankdatbatman posted:

Two questions, both involving discussion that has appeared in the past couple of pages.

a. When I was younger and really into wrestling (back during Rock's big face run while Austin was injured, in particular), I discovered the internet wrestling community. Well, it was the little section on GameFAQs (don't judge me, I was about 13). I remember seeing a lot of hate for the Rock because of his ability to work. It was so bad I even hated the Rock for a while because it rubbed off on me, preferring Angle and Taker, even though I started watching wrestling with the Rock as my favorite. Do any IWC veterans from back then remember any anti-Rock sentiment like this? Or was this just a stupid group of fans? I ask because many think the Rock is one of the greatest of all time, and during that discussion I didn't see anything really criticizing his working ability when everyone hated him back then, IIRC. Maybe it was just a case of looking at the present with poo poo colored glasses.

I got sick of him spending most of his matches throwing punches pretty quick, but I wasn't really on the internet back then so it wasn't me.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

MassRayPer posted:

I agree with you now, but I remember this sentiment being really popular back then. Of course, it was GameFaqs.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Moose Bigelow posted:

I remember some psycho from 411 who would only call him Flex Kavana. Eric Sceluerewski?

Yeah, Szulczewski thought Rock had become a terrible, lazy babyface. So when Rock was a heel he called him "Rock," but when he was a face it was all "Flex."

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg

crankdatbatman posted:

I agree with you now, but I remember this sentiment being really popular back then. Of course, it was GameFaqs.

When you have a gathering of hardcore fans of anything with a significant history, you're going to get a general consensus of hate on the current and people wishing for the "good old days," justified or not. Ten years from now the next generation of smarks are going to be wishing for the good old days of John Cena, Batista and Randy Orton and despise whoever the most popular wrestler is.

Hirams Bitch
Oct 24, 2008

Bald-n-Nekkid posted:

When you have a gathering of hardcore fans of anything with a significant history, you're going to get a general consensus of hate on the current and people wishing for the "good old days," justified or not. Ten years from now the next generation of smarks are going to be wishing for the good old days of John Cena, Batista and Randy Orton and despise whoever the most popular wrestler is.

Plus the general tendency of some people to hate anything popular (or at least seem to), and the tendency of internet wrestling fans to hate any face, especially a popular main event face.

supergreatfriend
Oct 16, 2008

ask me about
COFFEE

crankdatbatman posted:

I remember seeing a lot of hate for the Rock because of his ability to work. It was so bad I even hated the Rock for a while because it rubbed off on me, preferring Angle and Taker, even though I started watching wrestling with the Rock as my favorite. Do any IWC veterans from back then remember any anti-Rock sentiment like this? Or was this just a stupid group of fans?

Rock hate was a widespread thing on the internet at that time. It's not really surprising, it's always the case that people will get sick of the top face overcoming the odds and defeating the bad guys over and over and over again. And of course Rock did get very repetitive with his promos as time went on. He just became stale, and was in bad need of freshening up his act. Which he did when he turned heel, and internet opinion on him switched completely at that time.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

In 1985 Dr. Strange makes a rap album.
Weren't fans in general starting to get sick of him? I thought I remember hearing that by the time he had the match at SummerSlam with Lesnar the crowd had pretty much turned on him.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

Suben posted:

Weren't fans in general starting to get sick of him? I thought I remember hearing that by the time he had the match at SummerSlam with Lesnar the crowd had pretty much turned on him.

Everyone knew that was his last match, so the crowd pretty much showed their sense of betrayal at him going on to bigger and better things.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I hated that because Rock was throwing everything he had into that match in order to make Lesnar a star, and getting poo poo on by the crowd. It also probably set the stage for the Lesnar face turn when he was obviously built and designed for the express purpose of being a Monster Heel.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Jerusalem posted:

I hated that because Rock was throwing everything he had into that match in order to make Lesnar a star, and getting poo poo on by the crowd. It also probably set the stage for the Lesnar face turn when he was obviously built and designed for the express purpose of being a Monster Heel.

I dunno, I liked Brock as the babyface. It's obviously not his strength personality-wise, but in terms of a Road Warrior-esque dude who can come in and clean house, throw Big Show around like a midget and generally get people pumped, Brock had a lot going for him.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

in the 90's, were there any other big Indy promotions besides ECW?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

BigRed0427 posted:

in the 90's, were there any other big Indy promotions besides ECW?

Smokey Mountain Wrestling, USWA (Memphis), GCW (Texas), Herb Abram's UWF, and in the very early 90s Portland still had TV and a regular circuit.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

Depends on your definition of big. Smokey Mountain wrestling was pretty big in its territory, but never really expanded due in no small part to its old school product. Memphis was still relatively strong as a territory in no small part due to its working relationship with the WWF. Otherwise most other promotions that set up pretty much collapsed within weeks of their money backer deciding he wanted a piece of the wrestling boom, or never gained exposure due to a lack of big tape trading websites.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Suben posted:

I remember Wrestlemania X-8 against Hogan he was "surprisingly" booed while Hogan was strongly cheered. Which I always took to be the reason Hogan turned face shortly afterward, pretty much killing the nWo revival angle only a month after it had really started.

Save Russian Jews
Jun 7, 2007

who the fuck is this guy anyway, i can't even see his face

Lipstick Apathy

crankdatbatman posted:

I remember Wrestlemania X-8 against Hogan he was "surprisingly" booed while Hogan was strongly cheered. Which I always took to be the reason Hogan turned face shortly afterward, pretty much killing the nWo revival angle only a month after it had really started.

either that or Hogan's massive hardon for recapturing his glory days turning to a better target.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

TO be fair the crowd was so HUGELY behind Hogan at the time that it only made sense for WWE to decide the ride the nostalgia train. Unfortunately the wheels fell off of it pretty drat quickly.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Save Russian Jews posted:

either that or Hogan's massive hardon for recapturing his glory days turning to a better target.

No, the crowd turned him face.

Save Russian Jews
Jun 7, 2007

who the fuck is this guy anyway, i can't even see his face

Lipstick Apathy

ADRIEN GRODYS FIFE posted:

since when are you assholes not cynical?

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

Pneub posted:

Wait, how accurate was I? I was just doing an impersonation.

He chuckled and said "10 inch".

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006

Manwithastick posted:

Aside from Rock/Cena and Sting/Taker, What big money dream matches still exist in the WWE?

It wouldn't be huge in America but Rey vs. Mistico is basically a licence to print money in Mexico.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Save Russian Jews posted:

since when are you assholes not cynical?

I'm not cynical :confused:

Minges
May 4, 2006
'Cause everybody hates a tourist

crankdatbatman posted:

How did Sean Waltman react too?

A very stoned "....huh huh whut?"

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

crankdatbatman posted:

His Sharpshooter really loving blew. And he threw a lot of punches and slaps.

He didn't do a lot of quote-wrestling-unquote, either. Still, Rock ruled.

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

Rock was always really good at reacting to what the crowd gave him. He embraced the "Heel" role in both of those two instances mentioned, when many workers would have gotten flustered or said "gently caress you, I'm the face in this match and I'm going to act like it".

If he'd still pretended to be the face version of The Rock against Hogan, that match would have bombed.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Neodoomium posted:

Rock was always really good at reacting to what the crowd gave him. He embraced the "Heel" role in both of those two instances mentioned, when many workers would have gotten flustered or said "gently caress you, I'm the face in this match and I'm going to act like it".

If he'd still pretended to be the face version of The Rock against Hogan, that match would have bombed.

Pretty much. Rock's a great worker in the same way that Hogan is. They both know what they're good at, and they know what gets a response from the crowd and when to do it. But they're not the cleanest, most technically sound wrestlers you'll ever see.

ColeM
Dec 23, 2007
New User Alert!

Jerusalem posted:

If it helps, then when the Rock was heel against Goldberg at Backlash '03, the people at the arena knew he was leaving again and they booed the hell out of goldberg instead.

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.

ADRIEN GRODYS FIFE posted:

I think the way the match was structured, Hogan was definately meant to come out of it as a babyface.

The crowd initialy boo's Hogan's entrance, and it isn't until he squares off with Rock that the crowd realise the surreality of what they're seeing, and start marking out for the staredown.

After that, Hogan starts pandering to the crowd, and the first spot in the match (I think it's called the 'Shine'?) is Hogan hitting his usual babyface offense, and then posing to milk the crowd reactions. It's not until the crowd is going completely apeshit for him that he starts working as a heel, at which point the crowd is marking so hard at the match itself, that he could shoot a puppy, and still get cheered.

Hirams Bitch
Oct 24, 2008

Gaz-L posted:

Pretty much. Rock's a great worker in the same way that Hogan is. They both know what they're good at, and they know what gets a response from the crowd and when to do it. But they're not the cleanest, most technically sound wrestlers you'll ever see.

Rock was a loving lot better than Hogan ever was.

Tyma posted:

I think the way the match was structured, Hogan was definately meant to come out of it as a babyface.

The crowd initialy boo's Hogan's entrance, and it isn't until he squares off with Rock that the crowd realise the surreality of what they're seeing, and start marking out for the staredown.

After that, Hogan starts pandering to the crowd, and the first spot in the match (I think it's called the 'Shine'?) is Hogan hitting his usual babyface offense, and then posing to milk the crowd reactions. It's not until the crowd is going completely apeshit for him that he starts working as a heel, at which point the crowd is marking so hard at the match itself, that he could shoot a puppy, and still get cheered.

It was pretty clear after their first in-ring confrontation on RAW where they went nose-to-nose then looked back and forth at the crowd that they were going to get a split reaction. Throw in that WMX8 was in Toronto (AKA "Bizarro World") and I'm sure they were expecting the reaction Hogan got and that he would be a face coming out of it.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

In 1985 Dr. Strange makes a rap album.
So what's the point of having clipped matches on DVD releases and such? Puro/Joshi stuff seems to be especially bad with it from what I can gather. Is it to shorten the running time because of space issues or something? Either way, it's pretty annoying to try and find a match only to find out it seemingly only exists in clipped form.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Is Sting/Undertaker just the "these are two of the most emblematic people from their respective promotions" dream match? Or do they have some sort of other obvious potential conflict? Being spooky?

Beth Phoenix/Chyna might qualify as a dream match for anyone who likes that sort of thing.

A feud between Santino Marella and the Ultimate Warrior might be pretty amazing. Again, for anyone who likes that sort of thing.

budreck
Aug 2, 2005

by XyloJW

Tyma posted:

That is not true. I was there live and nobody was booing Hogan during his entrance. Toronto has always been very pro-Hogan.

Hogan got a lot of cheers when Nitro was held at the ACC as well despite being a heel at the time. Skip to 7:00 and see for yourself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hayJiSJ5sVc

budreck fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Feb 20, 2011

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

budreck posted:

That is not true. I was there live and nobody was booing Hogan during his entrance. Toronto has always been very pro-Hogan.

Hogan got a lot of cheers when Nitro was held at the ACC as well despite being a heel at the time. Skip to 7:00 and see for yourself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hayJiSJ5sVc

Wrestlers universally loved in Canada:

Bret Hart
Chris Jericho
Hulk Hogan :confused:

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Wait Hulk Hogan was a member of the Wolfpac? I thought that group was formed for the sole reason of taking on Hogan's black and white NWO faction? I could be wrong though, that's around the time I stopped paying attention to WCW's main event scene altogether and started switching it to RAW every Monday at around 10:30.

WCW :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

Mr. Carlisle posted:

Wait Hulk Hogan was a member of the Wolfpac? I thought that group was formed for the sole reason of taking on Hogan's black and white NWO faction? I could be wrong though, that's around the time I stopped paying attention to WCW's main event scene altogether and started switching it to RAW every Monday at around 10:30.

WCW :psyduck:

They merged in 98 back into 1 big nWo