Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Fyrbrand posted:

If it helps, I'm pretty sure that was HKR who made the spraying booth.

I know he made the entry about spraying, I dunno if he made the booth. I thought it was someone more recently active like Crime Fighting Hog.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Roughly a million years ago, I had posted ideas and stuff here for re-doing my Eldar. Then I got sick, got distracted, and basically nothing happened. Well, I finally got my act together and finished out the Vypers in the new scheme. I know some people weren't fond of the gold, but I am pretty happy with how these have come out:

Gold Squadron, begin take off procedure.

Set s-foils in attack position!

I'm going to be working on my Eldar army this year, and hoping that the oath thread will keep me going through the next house move and the incoming baby bomb.

And CFG, I have no idea what that thing is (daemon prince?) but it is awesome. Really glad I am not sharing a page with it!

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
^^^
Loving those Eldar. I think the colors work very well together. My only complaint is the base. Not loving the greenish rocks.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Thanks. I am not really sure if I am keeping the bases or not; they detach really easily for storage, so I can change them without any trouble. Part of me just wanted to get the drat things done and went with a pretty straightforward way to get there.

The other part of me wants to buy some Dragonforge bases for them.

If you have other suggestions, please pitch them. Do I just need to jumble them up with some stone/debris?

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Ashcans posted:

Gold Squadron, begin take off procedure.

Nice work! I especially like the L-R-C squad markings. I don't see many vypers - most of them become venoms nowadays. Some scenic debris would definitely help liven them up.

Tadhg posted:

I am curious why you're using Mr. Potato Head in there when you aren't actually making a potato-head stompa. The way that he's in there, a sturdy plastic cup looks like it would have done just as good a job.

There's some subtle curvature going on that i'm taking advantage of. It's not just going to be a cone shape, it's going to be sort of bean-like with a slight arc to the back. Just because I don't want it to be shaped exactly like a potato doesn't mean I don't want some of those curves in there.

You also might be underestimating how sturdy the mr. potato head is. No cup could compare - I believe that I would actually have trouble stomping a mr. potato head in a significantly damaging way. So that's two things - it's got some nice curves, and it's a big empty solid structure with a bottom. I can take advantage of that inner space in all sorts of ways, from weight balancing to large-scale structural 'pinning' for the arms and legs.

Plus, I got a mr. potato head with a bunch of missing parts for like $0.50 at recycle north, so why not use it? I went there looking for stompa parts, and that's what I found.

Ignite Memories fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Feb 21, 2011

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Seaweed!? Get the fuck out!

Tadhg posted:

Also, looks a little brighter than I would think to use. :pwn: You trolling me, Sushi?

You mix the Menoth White Highlight into the Tausept Ochre until you get a highlight color you like.

You new to this painting thing, Captain Teague? :pwn:

Calico Noose
Jun 26, 2010

crime fighting hog posted:

gently caress THIS GAY EARTH I'M DONE

The execution of that god awful scheme has to be one of the biggest wastes of talent i've seen in this thread.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

Calico Noose posted:

The execution of that god awful scheme has to be one of the biggest wastes of talent i've seen in this thread.

Please tell us more of your opinions

Calico Noose
Jun 26, 2010
It's an excellent paintjob, but i find the choice of colours make the model look incredibly busy so it's difficult to take in all the detail and everything that's going on with the model.

That said, he mentioned in the Warmachine thread that he's going to Dullcoat it, which would go a long way to solving the problem, i hadn't seen that at the time of my last post, the dullcoat taking the edge of the gloss and would go a long way to dealing with my complaint.

Edit: But yeah, in future i'll refrain from posting things first thing in the morning when i'm a grumpy bitch.

Calico Noose fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Feb 21, 2011

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?
The thing I've always hated with that big cryx wing dude is that the model looks like it is sculpted by a professional and then the wings look like skewers with plasticine awkwardly draped over them by a downy.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out

Calico Noose posted:

Heh, "talent".

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

Big Willy Style posted:

The thing I've always hated with that big cryx wing dude is that the model looks like it is sculpted by a professional and then the wings look like skewers with plasticine awkwardly draped over them by a downy.

I didn't want to ask if he'd sculpted the wings himself for exactly this reason :ohdear:

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

enri posted:

I didn't want to ask if he'd sculpted the wings himself for exactly this reason :ohdear:

Nah, those are the actual wings, and I agree that they look like rear end. I considered bashing in the wings from the Daemon Prince kit but that came out after I had already pinned this guy together. This thing was the hardest model ever for me in terms of assembly, but painting him wasn't too hard. And I kinda agree that my scheme looks off on him, but I like it better than the standard scheme.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

crime fighting hog posted:

...I considered bashing in the wings from the Daemon Prince kit

I wouldn't have blamed you for one second if you did in all honesty, they're horrible :/ I'm planning on starting a cryx army for WM just as soon as the required funds hit my bank account and I get a chance to devote some time to painting nerdery but this is gone guy I think I'd avoid until I could guarantee I found a replacement set of wings :ohdear:

Anti-Citizen
Oct 24, 2007
As You're Playing Chess, I'm Playing Russian Roulette
I painted my first knight, took me forever compared to a 40k model but I'm happy with it.

Any glaring problems? Also I haven't chosen a base for them yet, and I'm thinking of going with the green and white over the whole army, any ideas for good contrast? Or just go for natural colors?

Click here for the full 500x666 image.

Click here for the full 666x500 image.

Tadhg
Aug 5, 2007

AUT MORS
AUT GLORIA

:hist101:

Sole.Sushi posted:

You mix the Menoth White Highlight into the Tausept Ochre until you get a highlight color you like.

You new to this painting thing, Captain Teague? :pwn:

Kind of, actually. Those bikers in June were the first models I had painted to that level of completion. Before that, all I had really painted was a mob of badly done orks (craft store paint) and some Battle Masters minis.

Been learning a lot in the past half-year, though, and been getting a whole lot of practice. :hist101:

But mixing it for a highlight color made from the original color- that sounds like a good idea.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Calico Noose posted:

Edit: But yeah, in future i'll refrain from posting things first thing in the morning when i'm a grumpy bitch.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Anti-Citizen posted:

I painted my first knight, took me forever compared to a 40k model but I'm happy with it.

Any glaring problems? Also I haven't chosen a base for them yet, and I'm thinking of going with the green and white over the whole army, any ideas for good contrast? Or just go for natural colors?

Click here for the full 666x500 image.

Shrubbery

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Id go warm brown with various shrubbery

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine
Put some up higher so you can get the two layer effect, with a little white fence running through the middle. ni

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Seaweed!? Get the fuck out!

Tadhg posted:

But mixing it for a highlight color made from the original color- that sounds like a good idea.

That's how all the cool kids do it :cool:

Though, I will say I learned about "adding Menoth White Highlight to just about anything to get a highlight shade" in this thread; it's not quite white, a little warm and started a heresy is totally awesome.

EDIT: IT!

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

What do we think of this shoulder thing with the epaulettes?

Also, is this arm a good scale for the "off-hand"? It has a gaze of mork, some supa rokkits and maybe some big shootas if i can fit them. The lifta-droppa arm would probably be like 20, 25% bigger?

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

:frogsiren:Hey guys, post links to your favorite painting resources/sites so I can put em in the OP.:frogsiren:

Figured its time to add some more stuff to it.

You can also link posts from this thread, stuff like tutorials and other really high content, informative posts

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

AnUninvitedGuest posted:

I know he made the entry about spraying, I dunno if he made the booth. I thought it was someone more recently active like Crime Fighting Hog.

I made a spraybooth:

spray booth 008 by staticd00r, on Flickr

The frame was from...something. I'm not sure what it was supposed to be originally. So I just added some pieces to make it a box.

It's not too hard. You basically want to build a decently sized box, cut a hole in the top, and put in a inline vent fan (like what is used for bathroom fans). Then you just need some tubing to take the fumes outside.

Later on I added some LED lights on the inside so I can actually see what I'm painting.

Down the road I'll actually want to re-do the box and create a plexi-glass door so no dust gets in while drying.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

pw pw pw posted:

Also, is this arm a good scale for the "off-hand"? It has a gaze of mork, some supa rokkits and maybe some big shootas if i can fit them. The lifta-droppa arm would probably be like 20, 25% bigger?

I think the epaulette idea is cool, but that the well put together ork face is too organized and flat.

I like the guns, but the fact that they all point in the same direction seems way more organized than an ork would bother being. I'm not saying backwards--just more like spread fingers or something.

The gun eyes are cool. Can he have a tongue of a grot on a rope holding pistols?

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

pw pw pw posted:

I hope you find a place for Sandrock's Heat Shotels. They could be awesome fangs or eyebrows or something.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

I think the epaulette idea is cool, but that the well put together ork face is too organized and flat.
I'm doing what I call a "structural run" right now. I put the whole thing together, sort of block it out, and then make another pass for more detailing. Rest assured there will be additional texture/insanity to the face later on. I'm planning on changing the ear things into some sort of heat ducts and reworking the back completely. It's like when you're drawing something, you want all areas of the picture to be roughly equal in completion as you work, instead of drawing a finished face on a stick figure.

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

I like the guns, but the fact that they all point in the same direction seems way more organized than an ork would bother being. I'm not saying backwards--just more like spread fingers or something.
We'll see, those missiles aren't stuck on hard but I kinda want the gaze of mork to stand out in front. I was originally considering making the lifta droppa a 5-fingered robogauntlet with vacuum tube fingers like rasputin's from the first hellboy movie... But now I'm torn. making it a gravity gun would be so cool...

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

The gun eyes are cool. Can he have a tongue of a grot on a rope holding pistols?
We'll see where I can squeeze some grots on here. I was thinking of just buying some of the ones from the stompa box from a bitz site, because they're all in great poses and not holding little pistols.

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

I hope you find a place for Sandrock's Heat Shotels. They could be awesome fangs or eyebrows or something.
Wahaha!

Wahahahahahaha!

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I beg all of you for forgiveness of my sins for being the worst painter of this thread. Perhaps in the history of threads everywhere.

God forgive me.

!amicable
Jan 20, 2007
Please change the front arc.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

Why? I don't mind critism but I like to know why you don't like something, even if the reason is "It looks like poo poo to me".

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine
I don't get if there's a subtext here about something that I don't get, but I think it looks incredible.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

I think he's just blaming himself for painting a godawful model. That thing looks like the last boss from kirby super star.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Here is a fuckin ton of orks, a loving ton more on the way soon

torsoboy
Sep 9, 2001

lesbian armada overlord
Hi, I've been lurking this thread for a while now and haven't posted anything because I suck at keeping pace. Anyhoo I like Blood Bowl and I saw some cool conversion threads at Warseer and whatnot. So I decided to copy one that I liked.

In the course of a few weeks, starting in January this year or thereabouts I turned this:

into this:

obviously I'm not going to win any Golden Demon soon but I'm quite happy with them regardless :)

Also, a preview of the Troll and a reroll counter

^^^^^^^^^^^
holy poo poo those are a lot of orcs, I'd go mental painting that many

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Awesome BB team!

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Lots of awesome orks ITT. Those blood bowl dudes are cool as hell man- also like the grots with signs. Also props for being in the cool kids black base rim club. :cool:

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

PaintVagrant: Paintience of a saintVagrant.

WhiteWolf123
Jun 18, 2008

The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.

PaintVagrant posted:

Here is a fuckin ton of orks, a loving ton more on the way soon

These Death Skulls effing own.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
Aren't those Fyrbrand's Orks?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007