Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bruckner
Sep 11, 2010
It wasn't very nice for jerry to tell him he should be lucky if any lady looks at him for more than two seconds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drighton
Nov 30, 2005

ace_beef posted:

Also i love Larry David's cameos throughout the show. FLAMING GLOBES OF ZIGMUND.

Sounds like Larry David is doing Newman's voice in The Revenge.

Drewsky
Dec 29, 2010

Drighton posted:

Sounds like Larry David is doing Newman's voice in The Revenge.

Yeah, he did do the voice in that one, and maybe more times than that, I can't remember.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

wa27 posted:

Here ya go!:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCYQNj8UL7M
(might still be processing)

That place is like the Fort Knox of book stores.

Smellem Sexbad
Sep 16, 2003
Yeah he has a few voice over parts throughout the show, his voice is so distinct so you can pick it out easily.

Also stands in multiple times. When Kramer gets arrested he is standing with Larry Charles in the background. Also when George draws the lips on the 20 dollar bill (RUTHIE COEN!) and tries to use, Larry is the store owned who mocks him and won't take the bill.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

ace_beef posted:

Yeah he has a few voice over parts throughout the show, his voice is so distinct so you can pick it out easily.

Also stands in multiple times. When Kramer gets arrested he is standing with Larry Charles in the background. Also when George draws the lips on the 20 dollar bill (RUTHIE COEN!) and tries to use, Larry is the store owned who mocks him and won't take the bill.

Don't forget Flaming Globes of Zigmund, and the lawyer with a cape.

Flobbster
Feb 17, 2005

"Cadet Kirk, after the way you cheated on the Kobayashi Maru test I oughta punch you in tha face!"

DrBouvenstein posted:

Don't forget Flaming Globes of Zigmund, and the lawyer with a cape.

And one of the Greenpeace guys on the raft with the head of NBC.

vv Watching that clip, I never noticed it before: as the Greenpeace guy, is Larry supposed to be doing a terrible Scottish accent?

Flobbster fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Feb 18, 2011

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

All of Larry David's appearances.

Optimus Subprime
Mar 26, 2005

Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas?

I re-watched the episode "The Masseuse", and I never realized how creepy of a rape metaphor that episode was.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
I think it moved!

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

:lol: "Big Stein can't be floppin' and twitchin'!"

slax0r
May 7, 2004

bruckner posted:

It wasn't very nice for jerry to tell him he should be lucky if any lady looks at him for more than two seconds.

But if there's anyone that can, he should hold onto her like grim death, which isn't very... oh. :(

neoboman
Feb 16, 2007

slax0r posted:

But if there's anyone that can, he should hold onto her like grim death, which isn't very... oh. :(

Well, by not far off he ended up meaning something like fifteen years.

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat

Ehud posted:

~Tamale~

L.E. Cheetah
Aug 7, 2007
I was going through the seinfeld inside look things on youtube and I got to the one about "The Bet", the only episode that never got shot (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oeze0ZPOBz0). Jason Alexander mentions that there's one other episode that he wishes never got shot. Does anyone know which episode he hates?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

DrBouvenstein posted:

the lawyer with a cape.

Uhhhh, he had a name you know. His name was,"Frank Costanza's Lawyer."

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

L.E. Cheetah posted:

I was going through the seinfeld inside look things on youtube and I got to the one about "The Bet", the only episode that never got shot (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oeze0ZPOBz0). Jason Alexander mentions that there's one other episode that he wishes never got shot. Does anyone know which episode he hates?

On 'The Larry Sanders Show', Jason is outraged and walks off the show when Hank does a Hitler impression.. An assistant points out 'You did Nazi stuff on Seinfeld' and he says '.. that was different!'.

So maybe it was the one where he stole that limo pretending to be a nazi leader

Role Play McMurphy
Jul 15, 2010

L.E. Cheetah posted:

Probably that early episode that didn't have George in it at all, after which he threatened to quit the show?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Role Play McMurphy posted:

Probably that early episode that didn't have George in it at all, after which he threatened to quit the show?

Which in turn reminds me of George quitting his job then showing up to work anyway and trying to pretend that nothing happened.

SpliffClavin
Jul 31, 2007

oh geez rick

Which episode is that?

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

I thought that was Michael Richards that was upset that he wasn't in The Chinese Restaurant.

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.
I don't know about Jason Alexander being upset, but George isn't in "The Pen." Neither is Kramer. It's just Jerry and Elaine in Florida with the old folks.

STELLA!

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
There's an interview on the DVD where Jason says that after the Pen, he told Larry that if he wanted to write him out of the show again, he should do it permanently.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Watching Notes About Nothing it shows ratings info for the shows, when they were getting like a 20+ rating. Is that the same system that they're using now? And shows like Community get like a 2 at best? Are any regular shows Seinfeld-high these days?

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.
Pretty much just terrible reality gameshows for fat north american sadsacks.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

myron_cope posted:

Watching Notes About Nothing it shows ratings info for the shows, when they were getting like a 20+ rating. Is that the same system that they're using now? And shows like Community get like a 2 at best? Are any regular shows Seinfeld-high these days?
One ratings point is equal to one percent of total television viewers. When Seinfeld was airing (especially the early seasons) people got about 50 channels at the absolute most. Viewers just have a lot more choices now, so no show gets that high of a rating these days.

Two-and-a-Half Men is (for some reason) the highest-rated sitcom these days, and on February 7 (the first night my Googling found) it got only a 9.1 rating. I don't know what its average is, but I promise you it isn't in the 20+ range.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

myron_cope posted:

The system is the same, but the numbers don't necessarily represent the same thing.

There are two numbers for the ratings - the percentage and the share. The percentage is the one that is generally reported and is representative of the total number of TVs on that channel against the total number of TVs that were on at the time. The share is representative of the total number of TVs on that channel against the total number of TVs in the US.

The reason I said that they don't necessarily represent the same thing is because the total number of TVs in the US keeps increasing. That means that a ratings point today isn't equal to a ratings point 15 years ago.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Also remember that Nielsen ratings are based on a sample, and aren't an actual reading of who is actually watching. It's is a statistically significant sample, but it doesn't matter if you watch a show or not; unless you are a Nielsen home it has no effect in the least on the ratings of the show.

DamnGlitch fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Feb 20, 2011

Drewsky
Dec 29, 2010

Leyburn posted:

There's an interview on the DVD where Jason says that after the Pen, he told Larry that if he wanted to write him out of the show again, he should do it permanently.

What's this about? They almost wrote out George?

Locutus of Bald
Aug 20, 2009

by Debbie Metallica

L.E. Cheetah posted:

It was The Bris. Jason Alexander HATED The Bris.

From Wikipedia:

quote:

According to the Notes About Nothing feature of the episode on the DVD, Jason Alexander has stated that this is the only episode he wishes was never made; his objections specifically centered around the character of the mohel, whose behavior (specifically, his hatred of children) bothered him.

Locutus of Bald fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Feb 20, 2011

General Probe
Dec 28, 2004
Has this been done before?
Soiled Meat

Drewsky posted:

What's this about? They almost wrote out George?

No but as previously mentioned he wasn't in the episode "The Pen". After the show was done Jason went to Larry David and told him to never completely leave him out of an episode or he'd quit, his reasoning being that he didn't want to be on the show if they didn't absolutely need him.

Your Proud Pal
Sep 4, 2006

So due to not seeing Seinfeld when it first aired, and only having TBS to watch syndicated episodes, I'd never seen the Puerto Rican Day parade episode. Until now, at least, and by god I think it's my favorite. George feuding, Elaine making out under the bleachers, and Vandelay, Kel Varnsen, and AJ Pennypacker at his absolute best. What an episode.

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

go outside and have a blast

Leyburn posted:

Maybe they could have had George getting so agitated in Kramer picking up Jerry's mail that he completely forgets his important job of coming by twice a day to flush the toilet so that the gaskets don't get dry and leak.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Your Proud Pal posted:

So due to not seeing Seinfeld when it first aired, and only having TBS to watch syndicated episodes, I'd never seen the Puerto Rican Day parade episode. Until now, at least, and by god I think it's my favorite. George feuding, Elaine making out under the bleachers, and Vandelay, Kel Varnsen, and AJ Pennypacker at his absolute best. What an episode.

H.E. Pennypacker :eng101:

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Thanks for the ratings answers...that's sorta the answer I was expecting.

Clearly I've been watching the show on DVD, and it's crazy to me how much actually gets cut out of each episode for syndication. There's jokes I've never even seen! Most cold opens are cut, and some entire scenes are removed. It happens in like every episode but one example that comes to mind is when George is at Play Now and finally gets into his boarded up office, he calls Jerry and says something about "it's like Hitler's last days in here" and they talk about Hitler for a while until Jerry says he's uncomfortable. The scene as I've always seen it has George say that and they move on.

I feel so cheated :smith: It seems to me that they're cutting out like a full minute or two, is it just for more commercials?

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

myron_cope posted:

is it just for more commercials?

Yes. The answer to this question is always yes.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

Locutus Of Bored posted:

It was The Bris. Jason Alexander HATED The Bris.

From Wikipedia:

According to the Notes About Nothing feature of the episode on the DVD, Jason Alexander has stated that this is the only episode he wishes was never made; his objections specifically centered around the character of the mohel, whose behavior (specifically, his hatred of children) bothered him.

This is the same actor whose character did this 14 episodes later:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URvMd-pjSMc

e: Seinfeld: "It was an inferno in there, an INFERNO!"

or alternately: "There's the coward that left us to die!"

e2: Man this clip is rich with great quotes: "Did ya knock... her over too, or just the kids?"

Hipster_Doofus fucked around with this message at 11:24 on Feb 21, 2011

Bobfromsales
Apr 2, 2010

myron_cope posted:

I feel so cheated :smith: It seems to me that they're cutting out like a full minute or two, is it just for more commercials?

Yes. It feels like we lose 1 minute every ten years.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Am I crazy, or did I just read this entire thread?
____________/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

fenix down posted:

Am I crazy, or did I just read this entire thread?
____________/

That's a lot of gum thread!