Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Hard Clumping posted:

The amount of shock Paul and Alex show constitutes some of the only emotion in the game.

I mean, it is Deus Ex after all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ben Soosneb
Jun 18, 2009
My emotions are augmented.

Mystic Cave zOWNd
Dec 22, 2006

Trixie bravely turned her tail and fled

And there was much rejoicing.
Jesus Christ, JC.

Iggles
Nov 24, 2004

By Jove! Commoners!

Manderley posted:

Jesus Christ, Denton.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
Get the hell out of here, Denton!

Sam.
Jan 1, 2009

"I thought we had something, Shepard. Something real."
:qq:

Jegan posted:

There's an Ammo Vending Machine in the ABI Cathedral, but I don't think there's anything in the final area.

You mean the Templar cathedral? Never noticed that, where is it?

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
Do you even have a passing interest in doing your job?

Jegan
Nov 5, 2009

Sam. posted:

You mean the Templar cathedral? Never noticed that, where is it?

It's near the top of the area, in a shooting range. If you enter through the hole under the outdoor storage box area instead of through the basement it'll be right there (first door on the left I think).

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Jegan posted:

There's an Ammo Vending Machine in the ABI Cathedral, but I don't think there's anything in the final area.
Talking about TNM.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Xander77 posted:

Talking about TNM.

So was he. There aren't ammo vending machines in the vanilla game. I really need to play through that again, since I only played the 'good' story line.

Nautilus42
Jan 14, 2008
Unrelated sea creature

KillHour posted:

I really need to play through that again, since I only played the 'good' story line.

You basically missed the best bit of the game, just senselessy murdering everyone in the other story line is seriously the only way to play TNM.

That includes murdering retarded NPCs on the streets and dropping them into a lake when possible :devil:

Sam.
Jan 1, 2009

"I thought we had something, Shepard. Something real."
:qq:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kta1MwwxfTI

Walton Simons is such a pussy.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Has anyone explained what is up with the MJ12 Helibase when you first get to Hong Kong? These guys manage to slave the autopilot of a stealth helicopter to redirect them to their stronghold... then just wait for their captives to bust out? You have a billion dollar stealth helicopter stolen by a billion dollar experimental superagent, and you can't even muster up a strike team or send a few bots to open it up? Maybe they didn't want to damage the chopper too much, but by rights the entire base should have been on lockdown until the captives were accounted for. Was it night shift? Was most of the staff off the clock? I don't get it.

Cray
Dec 3, 2010
Well, here's what I found browsing the script:

quote:

To All Flight Controllers:

After the recent theft of the SH-187, we are re-evaluating our security
procedures. Until further notice, Deck One Flight Control has been sealed and
troops ordered to barracks
. If you need access to Flight Control, please see
Tech Sergeant McKinney.
-Mackie

So after Jock went AWOL with the helicopter (SH-187) they shut down the helipads. Maybe the forced landing happened automatically and that McKinney guy wasn't around?

The Pebbler
Nov 22, 2006

by T. Finn

Phobophilia posted:

Has anyone explained what is up with the MJ12 Helibase when you first get to Hong Kong?

Because if Jock flew you straight to Tracer Tongs compound the game would be too easy.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
If you sneak up on the barracks you'll hear one of the troopers say 'If it's Denton, we're all getting a raise.' or something to that extent.

I'd like to think they brought the chopper in and were in that little briefing deciding how to go about it. After all, this IS a billion dollar augmented agent who just shot his way out of an MJ-12 facility killing/knocking out all in his path.

Anyway, that's my justification on it all. I always felt like the helibase was a pointless cockblock. When I first played Deus Ex years ago I recall being hyped as hell about going to Hong Kong. I audibly cursed the game when Jock told me we were going back to Hell's Kitchen to hook up with Paul.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Phobophilia posted:

Has anyone explained what is up with the MJ12 Helibase when you first get to Hong Kong? These guys manage to slave the autopilot of a stealth helicopter to redirect them to their stronghold... then just wait for their captives to bust out? You have a billion dollar stealth helicopter stolen by a billion dollar experimental superagent, and you can't even muster up a strike team or send a few bots to open it up? Maybe they didn't want to damage the chopper too much, but by rights the entire base should have been on lockdown until the captives were accounted for. Was it night shift? Was most of the staff off the clock? I don't get it.

It's a stealth copter and no one is manning the security thing. I think MJ12's systems automatically landed it there, and basically no one was answering the phone there as the MJ12 controllers are calling them going HEY ASSHOLES JC DENTON JUST LANDED

that's my rationalization ok

orange lime
Jul 24, 2008

by Fistgrrl

Phobophilia posted:

You have a billion dollar stealth helicopter stolen by a billion dollar experimental superagent,

JC Denton cost fifty billion dollars, if Walton Simons is to be believed. :spergin:

Why didn't JC have any augs beyond the infolink and the light (aka, a radio and a flashlight) when he started out? Everyone is taking about how UNATCO just wants to "try out their experimental super-agent", but JC at that point really is no better than any other trained counterterrorist agent. He's no stronger than anyone else, and without the assault gun he's weaker than any of the troops too. They don't even give their fifty billion dollar experiment a bulletproof vest, let alone something actually useful like a ballistic protection or regeneration or cloaking aug.

Ho Chi Minh Holiday Inn
Jul 11, 2006

You may not know it yet, but I'm your worst nightmare.

orange lime posted:

JC Denton cost fifty billion dollars, if Walton Simons is to be believed. :spergin:

Why didn't JC have any augs beyond the infolink and the light (aka, a radio and a flashlight) when he started out? Everyone is taking about how UNATCO just wants to "try out their experimental super-agent", but JC at that point really is no better than any other trained counterterrorist agent. He's no stronger than anyone else, and without the assault gun he's weaker than any of the troops too. They don't even give their fifty billion dollar experiment a bulletproof vest, let alone something actually useful like a ballistic protection or regeneration or cloaking aug.

JC has the ability to see people as far as his line of sight will allow, whereas most people hired by UNATCO can only see about fifteen feet in front of them and have no peripheral vision. Nanites.

Happy Bear Suit
Jul 21, 2004

JC Denton has the ability to see perfectly through sunglasses at nighttime. His vision is augmented.

Rosoboronexport
Jun 14, 2006

Get in the bath, baby!
Ramrod XTreme

Hard Clumping posted:

I lost track of the thread for a while last year, did you guys ever discuss this? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cEg5Xo7VFU

Apparently there was originally an option to stay loyal to UNATCO, and it was developed to the point that there was dialogue recorded for it and the conversation files remained in copies of the game.

Isn't this the dialogue you get when you read the datacubes but return to Paul before transmitting the message? As the dialogue would suggest that JC knows that there are crooks in UNATCO. I think I tried this once and got that dialogue.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
JC Denton can determine whether or not a person wants to kill him just by looking directly at them.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

orange lime posted:

JC Denton also has a nanite-powered time machine, if anyone kills him, he'll just scream, fall over, and warp back into existence with full knowledge of the dangers ahead.

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

JC Denton also has the power of his arms, allowing him to pick up objects such as crates and potted plants in order to better his adversary.

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:
So I picked up the PS2 version of DX for 4 bucks and surprisingly it's actually pretty good. They simplified a lot of things that are both good and bad. For example, you do not need to manually take out the nanokey to unlock doors now. There is an unlimited inventory and no locational damage on yourself. Keypads are only frobbable if you have a multitool or the code. Same with computers.

They also changed some level design. Like on Liberty island, after the docks you go through a little visitor building and end up at the unatco base. You walk through a loading screen to get to the combat area. I haven't played through this part but there is still some things like the hidden medbot in the crate, it's just to the right this time (I think they kept the location of the original Unatco the same in relation to the original liberty island map).

Monday Averted
Jun 12, 2010

Phobophilia posted:

Has anyone explained what is up with the MJ12 Helibase when you first get to Hong Kong?

Had a blast here yesterday. You know that bottom floor where there's around 5 MJ12 soldiers? I ran in waving my hands in the air like a maniac, ran out, put a LAM on the wall and went upstairs.

That was fantastic.

Of course, later I discovered I could have used the air duct poison thing, but it was an artistic way to deal with that room nonetheless.

HoldYourFire
Oct 16, 2006

What's the time? It's DEFCON 1!

Monday Averted posted:

Had a blast here yesterday. You know that bottom floor where there's around 5 MJ12 soldiers? I ran in waving my hands in the air like a maniac, ran out, put a LAM on the wall and went upstairs.

That was fantastic.

Of course, later I discovered I could have used the air duct poison thing, but it was an artistic way to deal with that room nonetheless.

The best thing to do is the "no items" solution. Here it is.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

GoldenNugget posted:

So I picked up the PS2 version of DX for 4 bucks and surprisingly it's actually pretty good. They simplified a lot of things that are both good and bad. For example, you do not need to manually take out the nanokey to unlock doors now. There is an unlimited inventory and no locational damage on yourself. Keypads are only frobbable if you have a multitool or the code. Same with computers.

They also changed some level design. Like on Liberty island, after the docks you go through a little visitor building and end up at the unatco base. You walk through a loading screen to get to the combat area. I haven't played through this part but there is still some things like the hidden medbot in the crate, it's just to the right this time (I think they kept the location of the original Unatco the same in relation to the original liberty island map).
They chopped up a lot of the maps in really nasty/lazy ways, but it's a lot closer to Deus Ex than I thought it would be. I seem to remember there's some extra stuff in it that's not in the PC version as well, like semi-nicer cinema scenes and better character models.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

quote:

(Reuters) - Most U.S. and foreign corporations doing business in the United States avoid paying any federal income taxes, despite trillions of dollars worth of sales, a government study released on Tuesday said.

The Government Accountability Office said 72 percent of all foreign corporations and about 57 percent of U.S. companies doing business in the United States paid no federal income taxes for at least one year between 1998 and 2005.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2008/08/12/us-usa-taxes-corporations-idUSN1249465620080812

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ovmm10oW4-I&t=89s

:tinfoil:

StickySweater
Feb 7, 2008
Deus Ex is a drat fine game, but stuff like this makes it the most important game ever. Like the Clash, Deus Ex is the only game that matters.

Dr_Fever
Apr 28, 2008
So what's the deal with the furnace in the utility closet at UNATCO HQ? You can open it up, but there's never anything in there.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

The first time you go there (I believe), there's a biocell. I think one of the other times there's a multitool, but I'm not sure.

Sunday Punch
Mar 4, 2009

There you are in your home, and the soldiers smash down the door and tell you you're in the middle of World War III. Something's gone wrong with time.
So I reinstalled Deus Ex to do a "kill everything that moves with the GEP gun and flamethrower" heavy weapons playthrough, since I've done stealth and non-lethal runs in the past and felt like a change, also to try out Biomod. And I had no idea that you can talk to Paul on the docks at Liberty Island multiple times and he tells you about his graduation and your dad's toast and how he was recalled from Hong Kong for a botched assassination and stuff :psyduck:

I've played through Deus Ex maybe 6 or 7 times and I'm still finding things I've never seen before, in the first goddamn area of the game no less!

This game.

shao kong
Nov 6, 2002

Sunday Punch posted:

So I reinstalled Deus Ex to do a "kill everything that moves with the GEP gun and flamethrower" heavy weapons playthrough, since I've done stealth and non-lethal runs in the past and felt like a change, also to try out Biomod. And I had no idea that you can talk to Paul on the docks at Liberty Island multiple times and he tells you about his graduation and your dad's toast and how he was recalled from Hong Kong for a botched assassination and stuff :psyduck:

I've played through Deus Ex maybe 6 or 7 times and I'm still finding things I've never seen before, in the first goddamn area of the game no less!

This game.

I've been doing heavy weapons too and the flamethrower really is easy mode. One shot incapacitates nearly everything, and you get a fun little show while you're at it too.

The only problem with this stratagem are the MJ12 commandos, as they seem to be partially shielded against flame and plasma, and rockets can run low when you're also using them as lockpicks. I've resorted to just running up to them at super speed and crowbarring them to death.

hovis rock
Mar 2, 2005

Yeah, I always thought Deus Ex seemed amazingly prophetic even if slightly cinematic/over the top compared to today. The game opens with a terrorist attack on a major NY landmark, and a fascistic government posing as the good guys saving us from terrorists as an excuse to clamp down on civil liberties. The NSF guy in that video even talks about how he thinks the government staged the attack just like how 9/11 conspiracists talk about 9/11. Also growing problems with poverty and crime with cities collapsing into decay (detroit) and the ultra rich getting richer. I guess it's kind of common sense prediction though as that's how things have always been

Something even more :tinfoil: is that if you look at the Manhattan skyline at the dock level in the beginning, the twin towers are missing and the game was made in like 1999/2000:tinfoil:

Sunday Punch
Mar 4, 2009

There you are in your home, and the soldiers smash down the door and tell you you're in the middle of World War III. Something's gone wrong with time.

Modian posted:

I've been doing heavy weapons too and the flamethrower really is easy mode. One shot incapacitates nearly everything, and you get a fun little show while you're at it too.

The only problem with this stratagem are the MJ12 commandos, as they seem to be partially shielded against flame and plasma, and rockets can run low when you're also using them as lockpicks. I've resorted to just running up to them at super speed and crowbarring them to death.

Yeah the flamethrower has been pretty great, but the plasma gun is as worthless as ever. It takes up a poo poo-ton of inventory space and you don't find ammo for it very often so I've just been lugging it around as dead weight for most of the time. Doesn't seem to be much point carrying it if you've got the GEP gun as you find GEP rockets pretty commonly.

Also just out of curiosity does anyone ever play as ginger JC? It just seems wrong.

Cheezymadman
Mar 29, 2010

by Fistgrrl

hovis rock posted:

Something even more :tinfoil: is that if you look at the Manhattan skyline at the dock level in the beginning, the twin towers are missing and the game was made in like 1999/2000:tinfoil:

They're actually in the game files, but memory limitations forced them to be cut. The devs justified it by saying they were destroyed by terrorists before the events of the game. :tinfoil:

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

Sunday Punch posted:

Also just out of curiosity does anyone ever play as ginger JC? It just seems wrong.

3 posted:

I am literally the only person in the world who plays ginger JC. It's amazing.

Feels good man :v:

Dr_Fever
Apr 28, 2008

Sunday Punch posted:

I always play as black JC. And you know what? I'm an IRL ginger

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD

Sunday Punch posted:

This game.

You can do what now?

drat.