Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

fishmech posted:

nokia

not surprised that wikipedia-editing language nerds have no need for words describing things below the waist

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabandiumium
Feb 20, 2010

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaijin

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alien_(law)

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

dealing with wanting to gently caress the sister you never knew you had?

Wikipedia posted:

Genetic sexual attraction (GSA) is a term that describes the phenomenon of sexual attraction between close relatives, such as siblings, first and second cousins or a parent and offspring, who first meet as adults.

This may not be exactly what you're looking for, but have you tried A Song of Fire and Ice by George R. R. Martin?

Talk Page posted:

Song of Ice and Fire

Should there be some mention of Jaime and Cersei Lannister from A Song of Ice and Fire, or does this only apply to reunions?

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

RZApublican posted:

quote:

GSA is rare between people raised together in early childhood due to a reverse sexual imprinting known as the Westermarck effect, which desensitizes them to later close sexual attraction; it is hypothesized that this effect evolved to prevent inbreeding.

apparently back in Westermarck's day it was groundbreaking science to observe that brothers and sisters usually don't want to gently caress each other

also you forgot to quote the most characteristically-wikipedia part of that article:

GSA In Popular Culture posted:

The manga (and subsequent anime adaptation of) Koi Kaze describes the story of a man in his late twenties who is reunited with his much younger sister who he was separated from when she was still a very young child, and the subsequent GSA that arises between both of them.

Dixie Cretin Seaman fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Feb 21, 2011

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

also you forgot to quote the most characteristically-wikipedia part of that article:

lol that mangas talk page

Talk Page posted:

Incest

Incest? I thought they didn't have a sexual relationship. —Tokek 01:08, 17 July 2005 (UTC)

Well I read the whole manga series and there was no sex. No sex, hence no incest. Hope that's fair enough. —Tokek 20:25, 26 July 2005 (UTC)

They do have sex in the manga. In the second-to-last chapter Koshiro kisses Nanoka and says he's going to buy condoms (to which Nanoka teasingly replies, "I know that you love me, but couldn't you have said it more romantically?"). The final page of the chapter shows a trail of clothing leading to the futon, with their bodies hidden under the blankets. It's not as clearly stated as it was in the anime, but sex happened. -Iscariot, 29 Oct. 2005.

Thats what I was thinking. I'm not sure that the ending of the anime and manga are as different as the article portrays it to be. Not only is there what Iscariot said (pages 176-182 of Volume 5 of the manga), but there are also a couple pages of the two laying in bed naked (not graphic though) at the end of the manga as well (pages 199-200 of volume 5). The insinuation is similar to that in the anime where one doesn't actually see anything, but you know that something happened. FleetAdmiralJ 01:53, 11 January 2006 (UTC)

Who here has read the entire manga? I'd like to see the differences elaborated upon, if that's possible. Ladlergo 17:55, 1 May 2006 (UTC)

I think the big issue with the endings is that their tones are very different. (Spoilers) The last episode of the anime series includes several scenes that foreshadow the end of the romance: the Ferris wheel that won't move despite their wishes, the love umbrella carved on the tree that is about to be torn down (by their father's construction company, no less), and the fact that Koshiro lets Nanoka go without saying that he loves her. The manga, in contrast, has a more happy, less ambiguous "love conquers all" ending. This might not be enough to make the endings "notably" different, but it's interesting that the manga creator and the anime production team had very different ideas about the ultimate fate of Nanoka and Koshiro's relationship. 05:56, 21 May 2006 (UTC) Iscariot

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.
This entire thread could be summarized as "anything to do with anime or manga".

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Heresiarch posted:

This entire thread could be summarized as "In Popular Culture > In Anime and Manga"

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

Heresiarch posted:

This entire thread could be summarized as "anything to do with anime or manga".

Which basically amounts to 'of all the world, anime/manga is the most worthless thing'

I am fully behind that

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.

haveblue posted:

Correction accepted.

The Wonder Weapon posted:

Which basically amounts to 'of all the world, anime/manga is the most worthless thing'

I am fully behind that

There are other things equally as worthless but they don't have people adding them to every goddamn wikipedia article.

tripwire
Nov 19, 2004

ghost flow

TimberJoe
Oct 24, 2010

aww yeah im on this burger and shit

Winner of the PWM POTM for March 2012
http://sonic.wikia.com/wiki/Sonic_News_Network

any of it

TimberJoe fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Feb 22, 2011

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.

Nikolai Fuckharin posted:

http://sonic.wikia.com/wiki/Sonic_News_Network

any of it
allowing wikia makes it way too easy

http://harrypotter.wikia.com/wiki/Love

TimberJoe
Oct 24, 2010

Aleksei Vasiliev posted:

point taken

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

tripwire posted:

code:
like i can imagine i am living in inception
but the dream is the this canvas
and its taking 50 years
to get from one end
to the other

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

16 bit? Back when we was kids we only got a single bit on Christmas, as a treat
And we had to share it!

Aleksei Vasiliev posted:

*.wikia.com/wiki/*

There. That's done.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

tripwire posted:

i was all scroll scroll scroll scroll scroll scroll scroll scroll scroll scroll scroll scroll scroll scroll scroll scroll scroll scroll scroll scroll scroll scroll scroll scroll scroll scroll scroll scroll scroll AAAAUGH

cleanhands
Jun 9, 2010

My opinions, though not completely awful are expressed in a tiresome and needlessly aggressive way. Please help me to chill out.

rotor posted:

i was all scroll scroll scroll scroll scroll scroll scroll scroll scroll scroll scroll scroll scroll scroll scroll scroll scroll scroll scroll scroll scroll scroll scroll scroll scroll scroll scroll scroll scroll AAAAUGH

TimberJoe
Oct 24, 2010

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:Cranky_Kong

cleanhands
Jun 9, 2010

My opinions, though not completely awful are expressed in a tiresome and needlessly aggressive way. Please help me to chill out.

what a bunch of morons

he clearly is the original donkey kong, otherwise why would he know so much about it??

Abandon
Nov 23, 2006

JawnV6 posted:

lol in 'sample texts'

gently caress, beaten

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

rotor posted:

I expected it to end like this did (*NWS*, it's an old friend), only horizontally, and was sort of relieved and disappointed at the same time when it didn't.

BillWh0re
Aug 6, 2001

RZApublican posted:

This may not be exactly what you're looking for, but have you tried A Song of Fire and Ice by George R. R. Martin?

I like most how that article has decided that Lord Byron was a fictional character.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
worthwhile: a good lawsuit name

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_v._Forty_Barrels_and_Twenty_Kegs_of_Coca-Cola

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
grape nuts cereal contains neither grapes nor nuts but somehow it is allowed to roam free on teh shelves of our local market. IS THIS JUSTICE?@?@

Smackbilly
Jan 3, 2001
What kind of a name is Pizza Organ! anyway?
the holy roman empire was neither holy, nor roman, nor an empire. discuss.

Bicycle SexFucker
Aug 15, 2007

I have zero interest in marriage.

rotor posted:

grape nuts cereal contains neither grapes nor nuts but somehow it is allowed to roam free on teh shelves of our local market. IS THIS JUSTICE?@?@

No...loving....Way...

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003

rotor posted:

WHAT KIND OF A GOD

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

ack, wikipedians ruin everything

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

who was the wikipedia user who wrote long creepy passages about how women must have hair down to their waist or the floor, never wear trousers, and basically act like repressed anime women?

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

all of them

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Sweevo posted:

repressed anime women?

:q:

fork bomb
Apr 26, 2010

:shroom::shroom:

Penisface posted:

Abandon
Nov 23, 2006
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glossolalia#Church_practice
Oh god

also don't miss the talk page

Abandon
Nov 23, 2006
seriously clutching at loving straws trying to find a historical precedent for making baby noises in a church

cleanhands
Jun 9, 2010

theres no 'in popular culture' section and as a result im beginning to doubt the notability of this subject

Abandon
Nov 23, 2006
I've had this problem with many other pages about controversial topics, as well as pages about famous people who are known for controversial opinions. It seems to me that an encyclopedia entry should use the greatest portion of its space in giving information about the topic, with identification that there are criticisms of it as a uniquely headed section toward the end of the section. This seems a good across-the-board rule. It's just nonsense to pepper a description of a topic with criticisms. They interrupt the attempt to describe the topic and create a sense that the entire article is POV against the topic.

Qinah

Qinah writes: "It seems to me that an encyclopedia entry should use the greatest portion of its space in giving information about the topic, with identification that there are criticisms of it as a uniquely headed section toward the end of the section. This seems a good across-the-board rule."

It is a good rule. Unfortunately, in Wikipedia it's only applied to LIBERALS as far as I have been able to discern in my short time here.

A non-liberal's article will be CHOCK FULL of every tiny little nitpicking thing some lefty thinks they can slime them with.

It's pathetic and, as a result, most reasonable people know they can't trust Wik in it's present state.

That's too bad, when it could so easily be fixed.

Ps I actually think the version of Tongues in Wik is pretty good and well written.

I take exception to the following excerpt as it seems a gratiuitous cheap shot, but I'll hold my fire until I do some more research:

"...Glossolalists tend to have more need of authority figures and appeared to have had more crises in their lives."

Ps Is he talking about tongue talkers or Oprah-watchers? lol!

Big Daddy 11:05, 4 September 2005 (UTC)

cleanhands
Jun 9, 2010

liberals :argh:

CraigK
Nov 4, 2008

by exmarx
who was that guy that fyad drove to suicide after he lost an edit war against them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goku im piss
Mar 18, 2005

Your mama was a snowblower

Kirk posted:

WHAT KIND OF A GOD

imagine how they feel about the flakes