Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

revolther
May 27, 2008

fishmech posted:

Well for people without MSDN I've extracted the x64 and x86 SP1 installers and am hosting them:
windows6.1-KB976932-X64.exe
windows6.1-KB976932-x86.exe

These are the installers that Windows Update will probably have up soon, not images of SP1 integrated DVDs. If there's a problem having these posted I'll edit it out but I don't think there should be.
I'm not always a fan of your posting, but thanks for hosting that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Thank you fishmech!

frumpsnake posted:

Yep. Just delete it. If you're installing from USB it's easy enough, but if you're using DVD you can rebuild the image with PowerISO, UltraISO etc.

Yeah, this is what I'll end up doing, but it's a pain in the rear end.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

univbee posted:

Thank you fishmech!

Yeah, this is what I'll end up doing, but it's a pain in the rear end.

I'd rather have the installer on a USB stick instead of a DVD, but that's just me.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

FISHMANPET posted:

I'd rather have the installer on a USB stick instead of a DVD, but that's just me.

Yeah, if you've got a USB stick to spare, it's much faster than installing from a DVD.

Spazz
Nov 17, 2005

fishmech posted:

Well for people without MSDN I've extracted the x64 and x86 SP1 installers and am hosting them:

These are the installers that Windows Update will probably have up soon, not images of SP1 integrated DVDs. If there's a problem having these posted I'll edit it out but I don't think there should be.

Mirrored these in case if dreamhost takes a poo poo on him.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Can someone explain why they shipped the itanium patch with the other two? x86 and x64 I get, administrators can have both on hand. But itanium is such a tiny sliver of the market I think they can get away with a separate download. I didn't see any specific technet blog posting regarding that.

Suniikaa
Jul 4, 2004

Johnny Walker Wisdom

Toast Museum posted:

Yeah, if you've got a USB stick to spare, it's much faster than installing from a DVD.

Unless you have a piece of poo poo USB stick like I do, then it actually takes longer :(

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

The sad part is, he wasn't always evil.

incoherent posted:

Can someone explain why they shipped the itanium patch with the other two? x86 and x64 I get, administrators can have both on hand. But itanium is such a tiny sliver of the market I think they can get away with a separate download. I didn't see any specific technet blog posting regarding that.

MSDN downloads reflect actual shipped CD/DVDs, hence the ISO in the first place. Pressing and shipping a separate DVD for Itanium makes even less sense than including it on the disc along with the x86/x64 that 99.9% of people will use.

Tellara
May 2, 2003

Quality Custom Glassware Since 1923

Spazz posted:

Mirrored these in case if dreamhost takes a poo poo on him.

Could someone post the SHA-1 for these?

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance
I have a retail copy of Win7 Home Premium x64 so how would I be able to get an legit ISO of the retail disc with SP1 already on it?

Edit: I don't have technet or MSDN though.:smith:

Edit 2: I'm upgrading my system this spring which means reinstalling Win7 so I would like to have a legal ISO of retail Win7 Home Premium x64 with SP1.

spasticColon fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Feb 19, 2011

Tellara
May 2, 2003

Quality Custom Glassware Since 1923

spasticColon posted:

I have a retail copy of Win7 Home Premium x64 so how would I be able to get an legit ISO of the retail disc with SP1 already on it?

Edit: I don't have technet or MSDN though.:smith:

Edit 2: I'm upgrading my system this spring which means reinstalling Win7 so I would like to have a legal ISO of retail Win7 Home Premium x64 with SP1.

You can slipstream it yourself -- I'm sure in the coming days there will be instructions that pop up online for how to do this.

Spazz
Nov 17, 2005

Tellara posted:

Could someone post the SHA-1 for these?

74865ef2562006e51d7f9333b4a8d45b7a749dab windows6.1-KB976932-X64.exe
c3516bc5c9e69fee6d9ac4f981f5b95977a8a2fa windows6.1-KB976932-x86.exe

Edit: Also, here's the DL page. Looks like they may be general release now. I don't have MSDN but I have access.
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=c3202ce6-4056-4059-8a1b-3a9b77cdfdda

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Spazz posted:

74865ef2562006e51d7f9333b4a8d45b7a749dab windows6.1-KB976932-X64.exe
c3516bc5c9e69fee6d9ac4f981f5b95977a8a2fa windows6.1-KB976932-x86.exe

Edit: Also, here's the DL page. Looks like they may be general release now. I don't have MSDN but I have access.
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=c3202ce6-4056-4059-8a1b-3a9b77cdfdda

That's just the Release Candidate, which will stop running November 2011. I'd rather wait for the final release.

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

Tellara posted:

You can slipstream it yourself -- I'm sure in the coming days there will be instructions that pop up online for how to do this.

If it's anything like Vista was, it won't be particularly easy. You literally had to install Vista to another partition, clean and sysprep it, and then image the partition and merge it back into install.wim -- and that would apply to one "Edition" only. Meaning 3 full installs if you wanted the one disc to work for Ultimate, Home Premium, and Business.

The XP days of using the /integrate switch are over.

frumpsnake fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Feb 19, 2011

beuges
Jul 4, 2005
fluffy bunny butterfly broomstick
Info from MSDN for the .ISO file is:
code:
File Name: mu_windows_7_and_windows_server_2008_r2_sp1_x86_x64_dvd_619642.iso

Date Published (UTC): 2/16/2011 9:14:42 AM
Last Updated (UTC): 2/16/2011 9:14:42 AM

SHA1: F2ABA1102E18EAD08C78527AB422C09AB7D1F54C
ISO/CRC: B07748AE
My downloaded ISO appears to be 1.90 GB (2 048 196 608 bytes).

I've generated SHA1 hashes of the individual architecture-specific setup files as follows:

code:
dhiren@lunix ~ $ sha1sum -b windows6.1-KB976932-*
74865ef2562006e51d7f9333b4a8d45b7a749dab *windows6.1-KB976932-X64.exe
1ab97593f6f625392ca90b18f7617b0797a46f1c *windows6.1-KB976932-ia64.exe
c3516bc5c9e69fee6d9ac4f981f5b95977a8a2fa *windows6.1-KB976932-x86.exe

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

That's a really lovely installer, went to 50% for ages, then 80%, then 50%, then sat at 100% for even, longer, then did a poo poo load more while shutting down, and again on the way back up. Also the icon looks like crap and it has a non functional back button.

Worked though, I guess. Thanks.

electricsugar
Jan 21, 2008

Tum again?
I have a quick questions with regard to registration keys, wondering if anyone can assist.

I just built a new PC and did a clean install of Windows 7 Pro x64. The key for this version I obtained through MSDNAA at my university. I had this OS installed on my previous machine. When I tried to use the Reg key from this version, it was rejected. Apparently these sorts of OEM keys only allow install on one machine.

As of right now, I am operating under the 30-day grace period, but I'm going to need a new key sooner or later. What would be my cheapest option for obtaining a new key?

Win7pro retails for $300 which is crazy. The pro -> ultimate upgrade is only like $130. Would that work on my current unregistered version of win7?

Any help at all would be appreciated.

Edit: want to make it very clear that I have no intention whatsoever of pirating Windows. I just want to find out what my cheapest option is for obtaining a key.

electricsugar fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Feb 19, 2011

spiny
May 20, 2004

round and round and round
slightly off topic, but is there a thread for Windows 7 Mobile ? I've trawled through the last 10 or so pages and can't see anything ? I have just got an HTC 7 Pro and have loads of possibly stupid questions :)

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

spiny posted:

slightly off topic, but is there a thread for Windows 7 Mobile ? I've trawled through the last 10 or so pages and can't see anything ? I have just got an HTC 7 Pro and have loads of possibly stupid questions :)

So you feel a Desktop OS thread is the best place to ask about a cell phone?

There is a "Windows Phone 7" thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3355922

spiny
May 20, 2004

Xenomorph posted:

So you feel a Desktop OS thread is the best place to ask about a cell phone?

yes.

Xenomorph posted:

There is a "Windows Phone 7" thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3355922

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

electricsugar posted:

I have a quick questions with regard to registration keys, wondering if anyone can assist.

I just built a new PC and did a clean install of Windows 7 Pro x64. The key for this version I obtained through MSDNAA at my university. I had this OS installed on my previous machine. When I tried to use the Reg key from this version, it was rejected. Apparently these sorts of OEM keys only allow install on one machine.

As of right now, I am operating under the 30-day grace period, but I'm going to need a new key sooner or later. What would be my cheapest option for obtaining a new key?

Win7pro retails for $300 which is crazy. The pro -> ultimate upgrade is only like $130. Would that work on my current unregistered version of win7?

Any help at all would be appreciated.

Edit: want to make it very clear that I have no intention whatsoever of pirating Windows. I just want to find out what my cheapest option is for obtaining a key.

If you're not using the old system, reactivate it over the phone. You'll probably need to speak to a human, but they won't give a poo poo about OEM licensing nuances (that might or might not actually apply to your MSDN AA copy) as long as you aren't using it on more than one machine at the same time.

If you do need a new key, you can buy a full OEM (AKA "For System Builders") version of Home Premium from Newegg for a hundred bucks. You'd need to reinstall, of course.

If you're a student, you can also buy a Pro upgrade key here for $65. You'll have to jump through some hoops to get it to work - basically, you'll probably need to do another installation, and point it to the trial copy already on your hard drive as the version you're "upgrading" from. Believe it or not, this is the "standard" way of doing a full installation when you only have an upgrade copy. This may put you in violation of the license terms, but it would be no worse than running a Pro-Ultimate upgrade from a trial copy of Pro.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

electricsugar posted:

The version you bought from your school is Pro?

There are two different kinds of Windows 7 Professional keys as far as the software is concerned: single-machine keys, which are most commonly Retail and OEM keys, and volume keys, which are most commonly provided under Microsoft Open/Volume License Agreements. The problem is that both of these have completely different ISOs. You MIGHT be able to get the right ISO and "upgrade" your current install (basically Win 7 Pro 64-bit to Win 7 Pro 64-bit), keeping all your applications and everything, and then it will properly take the key. There's probably also some way of changing some registry values to change what keys the software will take (similar to how you make a fresh Win7 install accept an upgrade key), but you'll probably have to Google around for info on how to do that.

For what it's worth, the above ONLY applies to Windows 7 Professional edition; Windows 7 Enterprise is only for volume licensing, and every other version (Ultimate, Starter and the Home versions) have no volume licensing available.

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

I was of the belief that a Retail disc will take a VL key, but not the other way around?

In any event, it is possible to convert one disc to the other, but it involves modifying both ei.cfg and the product key inside install.wim.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Recently encountered an issue on Windows 7 64-bit where Windows asked me to close a game I was playing because it was running low on memory. Task Manager showed that 80% of physical memory was being used, which I guess is kinda high. I have 4 GB RAM so I'm wondering if this is linked to my virtual memory. I can't remember what my system prompted me the last time but it led to me changing the virtual memory to 128 MB. Is this too low?

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
Yes. Minimum virtual memory varies based on how much RAM you have, and at 4 GB your practical minimum should be 2 GB. It's a much better idea to let Windows manage virtual memory. It will reserve an amount equal to RAM size which will sit unused or expand as needed.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

Vegetable posted:

I can't remember what my system prompted me the last time but it led to me changing the virtual memory to 128 MB. Is this too low?

Far far too low. The minimum recommended amount of virtual memory is (I think) twice what you have physical, and it's even better to let Windows handle it.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

Vegetable posted:

Recently encountered an issue on Windows 7 64-bit where Windows asked me to close a game I was playing because it was running low on memory. Task Manager showed that 80% of physical memory was being used, which I guess is kinda high. I have 4 GB RAM so I'm wondering if this is linked to my virtual memory. I can't remember what my system prompted me the last time but it led to me changing the virtual memory to 128 MB. Is this too low?

Are you saying your swap file is set to just 128 Megs? Windows needs the Pagefile to be 1.5x - 2.0x your accessible RAM.

My page file is set to 16 Gigabytes right now. 128 Megs would be suicide. I'd be getting errors all the time like you.

Factory Factory posted:

Yes. Minimum virtual memory varies based on how much RAM you have, and at 4 GB your practical minimum should be 2 GB. It's a much better idea to let Windows manage virtual memory. It will reserve an amount equal to RAM size which will sit unused or expand as needed.

2 GB is too low as well. I'd think Windows would automatically create pagefile minimum of 6 Gigs on a 4 Gig system.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Just let Windows manage it.

anothertenbux
Aug 17, 2010

by Fistgrrl
Probably not going to get any joy with this but can anyone suggest a minimalist Windows 7 theme? I've found using the classic Windows theme frees up a little more window space on my netbook than Aero but it's just so ugly.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?

anothertenbux posted:

Probably not going to get any joy with this but can anyone suggest a minimalist Windows 7 theme? I've found using the classic Windows theme frees up a little more window space on my netbook than Aero but it's just so ugly.

Can't help with a theme, but if you type "metrics" into the start menu and press enter you should arrive at the advanced window settings dialog. In the "Item" list select "Border Padding" and reduce it to zero. This will reclaim you some space but you may or may not like how it looks.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance
Does SP1 fix any major issues or boost performance in any way? If not, I'll just wait until it shows up on Windows Update on Wednesday.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

anothertenbux posted:

Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Personalization\Window Color and Appearance and then click Advanced Appearance Settings.

Set Active Title Bar to 17, Active Window Border to 1, Border Padding to 0, and Scrollbar to 12

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

It might be my imagination but 7 seems noticeably quicker after SP1 was installed. Tried it on multiple computers.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Thermopyle posted:

Just let Windows manage it.

Thread title right here.

spiny
May 20, 2004

spasticColon posted:

Does SP1 fix any major issues or boost performance in any way? If not, I'll just wait until it shows up on Windows Update on Wednesday.

as far as I'm aware, no. It's a rollup of the so far released hotfixes.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Toast Museum posted:

Thread title right here.

Couldn't agree more.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Is there a reason, that in a dual monitor setup, the DWM treats the secondary monitor like a red-headed step child? On primary, it keeps the 60hz refresh rate going all the way, but the secondary is being throttled all the drat time. You notice it a lot when watching video on the secondary, because it introduces a lot of jitter. My old 8800GT did it once a while, but my new 560 Ti does even more so. Which is weird, considering it's way more powerful.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

There's a whole bunch more canned Remote Assistance firewall rules. Hopefully they fixed that now.

e: It did.

BangersInMyKnickers fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Feb 22, 2011

Xotl
May 28, 2001

Be seeing you.

spasticColon posted:

Besides the usual dozens of obscure fixes, SP1 has lots of fixes for:

1) printer issues
2) crashes/bluescreens
3) hibernation/sleep issues

There's also a minor memory leak or two closed, but those are the big three I can think of for the average user.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
SP1 contains a fix for an issue that caused some systems (like mine) to hang when you would try to run Chkdsk (the counter to press any key to skip disk checking would hang at "1").

You could request a hotfix from Microsoft, but now it's rolled into the OS via SP1.