Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
W7 SP1 is released for public consumption.

I wonder when it will hit Windows Update?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
I'm leaving my copy of the installers up until the updates been available on Windows Update for like 2 weeks just to be safe.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Factory Factory posted:

Says its already on it.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2498452

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Factory Factory posted:

It's already up. I got it this morning. It's only 84 megs but took about 20 minutes to download and install/restart.

efb

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
Cheeky fuckin' Windows Update realized it was there and downloaded it itself halfway through my pick of the dedicated installer. Welp.

rikatix
Aug 24, 2010
just messing around with a sound system I had vs the TV I had hooked up my to my TV. The sound is a lot better and yes I can change the Subwoofer level from the unit itself but is there no Bass/Treble settings in windows 7 like there was in XP? I did a google search but perhaps I was searching wrongly.

??

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

rikatix posted:

just messing around with a sound system I had vs the TV I had hooked up my to my TV. The sound is a lot better and yes I can change the Subwoofer level from the unit itself but is there no Bass/Treble settings in windows 7 like there was in XP? I did a google search but perhaps I was searching wrongly.

??
Right click your volume taskbar icon, click "Playback devices". You can then double click "Speakers" and then click the tone tab.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Leaving video card drivers out of the picture, is there any way to upscale full screen directx programs to desktop resolution?

I know what you're going to say first, you're gonna say "just use the video driver's upscaling function" but I've exchanged a dozen emails with nvidia's tech support and they gave up.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
Is anyone else having issues installing Internet Explorer 9 on Windows 7? Whenever I try to install it via Windows Update or the dedicated installer, it errors out with an unhelpful Code 3712 error. I did install IE9 RC a few months ago, but there doesn't appear to be a way to uninstall it - I'm guessing that's not the issue, but I figured I'd mention it nonetheless.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Samurai Sanders posted:

Leaving video card drivers out of the picture, is there any way to upscale full screen directx programs to desktop resolution?

I know what you're going to say first, you're gonna say "just use the video driver's upscaling function" but I've exchanged a dozen emails with nvidia's tech support and they gave up.

Not really. Full screen mode is just that, full screen at whatever resolution the game sets. Maybe what you want is Windowed mode, but maximized to full screen. That would scale as you would expect.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

redeyes posted:

Not really. Full screen mode is just that, full screen at whatever resolution the game sets. Maybe what you want is Windowed mode, but maximized to full screen. That would scale as you would expect.
Aw man, I really hoped there was. The issue is that this particular game runs only at 640x480, the nvidia support guys said that that isn't a resolution that is supported by Windows 7, thus the nvidia control panel's "use nvidia scaling" is greyed out for that resolution, we couldn't find a way around it.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Feb 23, 2011

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Samurai Sanders posted:

Aw man, I really hoped there was. The issue is that this particular game runs only at 640x480, the nvidia support guys said that that isn't a resolution that is supported by Windows 7, thus the nvidia control panel's "use nvidia scaling" is greyed out for that resolution, we couldn't find a way around it.

Well which game is it? Maybe you can find the games .ini file and manually change the resolition.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

redeyes posted:

Well which game is it? Maybe you can find the games .ini file and manually change the resolition.
Naw, Japanese indie games (Touhou, Umineko) don't have options like that. They are put together with toothpicks and bubblegum.

My desktop PC does allow upscaling of that resolution, but the issue is that I am trying to sell that one, since it's completely absurd to have a modern gaming PC that I only use to play games that are locked at 640x480.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Feb 23, 2011

tankadillo
Aug 15, 2006

Karthe posted:

Is anyone else having issues installing Internet Explorer 9 on Windows 7? Whenever I try to install it via Windows Update or the dedicated installer, it errors out with an unhelpful Code 3712 error. I did install IE9 RC a few months ago, but there doesn't appear to be a way to uninstall it - I'm guessing that's not the issue, but I figured I'd mention it nonetheless.
You can't uninstall it via the "installed updates" section of your control panel?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Karthe posted:

You didn't install IE9 RC months ago, seeing as that came out only a few weeks ago, that was the beta you installed. You aren't installing IE9 now, you're installing IE9 RC.

Code 3712 indicates a fault in Windows Update. You should try this I got off the microsoft support newsgroup:

1. First, create a System Restore Point manually, so that in case, something goes wrong while performing these steps, you may always perform a System Restore.
2. access the link below and follow the steps and try to perform an update:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923100
3. Try performing the Internet Optimization.
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;936213
4. You may also try following the article below to reset Windows Update components.
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/971058
5. Try disabling the security software while running the Windows Update.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe

raezr posted:

You can't uninstall it via the "installed updates" section of your control panel?
Nope, I tried that and I get a delightfully vague, "An error has occurred. Not all of the updates were successfully uninstalled." message when I try to do so.

fishmech posted:

You didn't install IE9 RC months ago, seeing as that came out only a few weeks ago, that was the beta you installed. You aren't installing IE9 now, you're installing IE9 RC.
You're totally right, I found out it was the Beta afterwards when I was searching around trying to troubleshoot the error.

fishmech posted:

Code 3712 indicates a fault in Windows Update. You should try this I got off the microsoft support newsgroup:

1. First, create a System Restore Point manually, so that in case, something goes wrong while performing these steps, you may always perform a System Restore.
2. access the link below and follow the steps and try to perform an update:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923100
3. Try performing the Internet Optimization.
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;936213
4. You may also try following the article below to reset Windows Update components.
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/971058
5. Try disabling the security software while running the Windows Update.
Thanks, I'll give this a try later on tonight and see if that fixes the problem.

Armourking
Dec 16, 2004

Step off!
Step off!

Samurai Sanders posted:

Naw, Japanese indie games (Touhou, Umineko) don't have options like that. They are put together with toothpicks and bubblegum.

My desktop PC does allow upscaling of that resolution, but the issue is that I am trying to sell that one, since it's completely absurd to have a modern gaming PC that I only use to play games that are locked at 640x480.
It's not strictly speaking custom made for this, but you could always try something like OnTopReplica ( http://ontopreplica.codeplex.com/ ). Just force it to always be on top and full screen, and it'll scale to whatever. With filtering, I believe, since it uses the gfx card.

Fake Edit: I guess if you can't get it to run in a window you might be boned.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Armourking posted:

It's not strictly speaking custom made for this, but you could always try something like OnTopReplica ( http://ontopreplica.codeplex.com/ ). Just force it to always be on top and full screen, and it'll scale to whatever. With filtering, I believe, since it uses the gfx card.

Fake Edit: I guess if you can't get it to run in a window you might be boned.
Huh, what an interesting program. It doesn't seem to solve the problem perfectly though, because when in "fullscreen" mode the taskbar is still there, if I set it to auto-minimize it still doesn't cover the whole screen. I tried a kinda simpler version of this same thing in the past, sizer, and it didn't solve the problem perfectly either for various reasons. Stuff like this thwarts me at every turn. It's really the games' fault, I shouldn't blame modern hardware and software for not being able to run whatever ancient piece of poo poo development package these games were made with.

Jigoku San
Feb 2, 2003

Samurai Sanders posted:

I can play Perfect Cherry Blossom or any of the windows Touhous fullscreen in Windows 7 x64.

I Use a ATI card though, with the GPU Scaling option is set to Maintain Ratio.

At native resolution it was greyed out as well. To set it I first had to set any non-native resolution and it un-grey's out in the option. Setting the resolution back to native didn't change the scaling, but it might revert when switching displays, I think it did going back from my hdtv to my lcd.

This might work with Nvidia as well.

Edit: It only reverted once, I guess the option just has to be set for each display.

Jigoku San fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Feb 23, 2011

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Yeah, my desktop PC is ATI and that works. Nvidia has basically the same options, but they are a dick and keep switching back to being grayed out every time I turn around. The tenth email tech support sent me was literally "If the NVIDIA scaling option is not available then it's likely not supported for this mode, I don't have any other suggestion, sorry."

It's also partially my TV's fault, it doesn't support overscan compensation at 640x480 either, even though it does at other resolutions. Ironically my computer monitor does, but I like to play Touhou and read Umineko on my TV.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Feb 23, 2011

iRoNgHosT
Mar 10, 2003

www.fusionball.com
Anyone else have problems after SP1 installed? My computer poo poo itself bad. It doesn't like my hardware I'm guessing. It seems people with EVGA video cards are having the same problem. Guess I'm gonna reinstall tomorrow and do manual updates as to avoid the SP1 install.

Fawkes
Apr 6, 2004

iRoNgHosT posted:

Anyone else have problems after SP1 installed? My computer poo poo itself bad. It doesn't like my hardware I'm guessing. It seems people with EVGA video cards are having the same problem. Guess I'm gonna reinstall tomorrow and do manual updates as to avoid the SP1 install.

Only thing here is a new appearance of the "Test Mode" watermark, even though I've been running an unsigned driver for a few months now.

Trying this thing now.

http://deepxw.blogspot.com/2008/12/remove-watermark-v03-build-20081210.html

Edit: Worked. Watermark gone.

Fawkes fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Feb 24, 2011

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

iRoNgHosT posted:

Only one I've noticed is XP Mode refusing to run due to a lack of hardware virtualization on my laptop. It had no problem doing so prior to my SP1 flatten/reinstall.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

Only one I've noticed is XP Mode refusing to run due to a lack of hardware virtualization on my laptop. It had no problem doing so prior to my SP1 flatten/reinstall.

You need to update XP Mode/Virtual PC then. When 7 first came out you also couldn't install XP Mode without virtualization extensions in your CPU, then an optional update came out later to remove that.

spanko
Apr 7, 2004
winnar

Click here for the full 1118x840 image.

What is this poo poo? Clicking the link brings me to some MS page that says to reinstall windows.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?
poo poo like this is why I generally wait a month after a service pack goes live before installing it. My computer is not going to explode in flames in the meantime and the early adopters iron out the problems.

My one exception was XP SP2 as that fixed a lot of gaping security issues.

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

The sad part is, he wasn't always evil.

spanko posted:

What is this poo poo? Clicking the link brings me to some MS page that says to reinstall windows.

Try running the System Update Readiness Tool.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947821/

If it still doesn't work, try the 900MB standalone SP1 updater.
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=c3202ce6-4056-4059-8a1b-3a9b77cdfdda

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

How long is the gap before they start pushing this over WSUS as well?

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Xotl posted:

Besides the usual dozens of obscure fixes, SP1 has lots of fixes for:

1) printer issues
2) crashes/bluescreens
3) hibernation/sleep issues

There's also a minor memory leak or two closed, but those are the big three I can think of for the average user.

I still can't add either of my network printers in Win7 x64.

HP :argh:

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

That took forever, and now every single time I log on I get a UAC popup asking me to let Intellitype install again. It was an optional update and I did the service pack at the same time, I've tried uninstalling Intellitype and deleting my keyboard in device manager and it just won't go away!

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Is there anything like 7zip or WinRAR that doesn't unload to the windows drive? I have an SSD with not much space on it, and if I have a file compressed on a different drive, and unload it to THAT drive, I want it to STAY on that drive.

edit: while not optimal, I just put it to F so it stops trying to unpack to my C drive, to copy over from my C to my F drive, when the source in on the F drive :what:

GreenBuckanneer fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Feb 23, 2011

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Is there anything like 7zip or WinRAR that doesn't unload to the windows drive? I have an SSD with not much space on it, and if I have a file compressed on a different drive, and unload it to THAT drive, I want it to STAY on that drive.

How about you just change the scratch space fold in the program you're using.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

GreenBuckanneer posted:

edit: while not optimal, I just put it to F so it stops trying to unpack to my C drive, to copy over from my C to my F drive, when the source in on the F drive :what:

7Zip lets you set this in the Options, it's under the Plugins settings

Looks like lots of people are having this Intellitype issue, so if anyone else gets that update don't install it at the same time as SP1 or you won't be able to roll back!

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I've found in those programs they seem to have different behavior depending on how you extract. Like in WinRar if you drag and drop something out of the archive it will extract to your temp folder (on C) and then copy it to the destination but I think if you use the 'Extract' or 'Extract to' buttons on the toolbar it will extract directly to the destination.

I have a feeling 7zip works in a similar way but I am not positive.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

baka kaba posted:

7Zip lets you set this in the Options, it's under the Plugins settings

For some reason this comes up all the time. I think it's because people don't expect to look under Plugins for this.

MutantBlue
Jun 8, 2001

spanko posted:

That looks familiar. Have you ever used Driver Sweeper? You may have deleted some magic fairy dust from WinSxS or the DriverStore. If you selected the Backup checkbox in Driver Sweeper you might be able to easily restore the files.

Sadly, I didn't and it looked like I was going to be forced into a Windows 7 Upgrade Install to fix it. I tried "sfc /scannow" and the System Upgrade Readiness Tool, neither one fixed it.

I was finally able to download the missing crap from here. Once the files were replaced, the SP1 install worked.

Jigoku San
Feb 2, 2003

Thermopyle posted:

For some reason this comes up all the time. I think it's because people don't expect to look under Plugins for this.

In the latest version, 9.20, its in Options > Folders tab. Plugins is gone.

spanko
Apr 7, 2004
winnar

MutantBlue posted:

That looks familiar. Have you ever used Driver Sweeper? You may have deleted some magic fairy dust from WinSxS or the DriverStore. If you selected the Backup checkbox in Driver Sweeper you might be able to easily restore the files.

Sadly, I didn't and it looked like I was going to be forced into a Windows 7 Upgrade Install to fix it. I tried "sfc /scannow" and the System Upgrade Readiness Tool, neither one fixed it.

I was finally able to download the missing crap from here. Once the files were replaced, the SP1 install worked.

I have used Driver Sweeper so this is probably it. I recently upgraded from a 5870 to a 570, but I didn't bother with the backup so hopefully these files work for me too.

edit: Well I got it to install after backing up the ATI files from the driver sweeper forums but after rebooting I get this.

spanko fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Feb 23, 2011

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Is there a utility to clean up the service pack rollback files like we had on Vista's compcln.exe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ryokurin
Jul 14, 2001

Wanna Die?

Karthe posted:

In add remove programs click view installed updates on the sidebar and you'll IE9 in the list. That will probably take care of your problem.