Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006

Ample posted:

I never thought to look at it from that perspective. With a 12 year warranty the investment seems worth it. We have a few Aeron chairs at work that I really like though I've never sat in a leap before. Do you like one more than the other?

The other thing is their low end office chairs have the same warranty . You can get a basic task chair like you would at office max from Herman Miller for 300-400 bucks, but with much better build quality and the same warranty as their high end stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Was looking for a thread like this a couple of months ago, it's definitely a worthwhile topic for anyone who spends a fair bit of time at a desk.

Our boss has an Aeron but the rest of us get crappy cheap office chairs which I hate. At home I was going to buy myself an Aeron but in the end I settled on the next model down, a Celle:

It's not as shaped as the Aeron and the mesh is different, it's larger and firmer. Everyone looks at it and says that it doesn't look at all comfortable, but then they sit in it and realise that it actually works really well. I got mine for £370 I think, but worth every penny. The build quality is really what you are paying for, this thing will definitely last years. The advantage of having no cloth is that it pretty much cannot wear out, plus it's easy to clean. The only bad thing is if you wear shorts then the seat part is sort of nobbly which is a bit odd on bare skin. If you're prepared to wait ~six weeks then you can get it made up with a cushioned seat, custom coloured mesh and frame, etc.

avidal
May 19, 2006
bawl-some

rumspringa57 posted:

Here in Austin there's a warehouse on the east side of town where they buy up the furniture of companies that went under for pennies on the dollar.

Do you know the name or address or general location of this place? I'd like to go check it out sometime.

Pendragon
Jun 18, 2003

HE'S WATCHING YOU

Ample posted:

I never thought to look at it from that perspective. With a 12 year warranty the investment seems worth it. We have a few Aeron chairs at work that I really like though I've never sat in a leap before. Do you like one more than the other?

Everyone has their own favorite chair. The best way to determine which is best for you is to try them out. I thought I would buy an Aeron when I first went shopping for a chair, but ended up leaving with a Leap. However, you will find just as many people that swear by Aerons, Mirras, Freedoms, or any other chair out there.

In general, you can be assured that any chair you get will be better than a big box store's chair. However, if you're going to spend $800+ on something, it's probably worth your time to find the best one for you.

Puck42
Oct 7, 2005

We need more love for the Humanscale Freedom Chair. I got mine 6 months ago at half off (~$700) from a liquidation sale at a Healthy Back Store.

I really like this chair, it has great support for your back and has a great mechanism for reclining and adjusting the headrest automatically to fit your body. Plus it uses gel padding instead of the mesh that Aeron uses. So it's much less abusive on your pants. The arm rests also rise and fall very easily unlike the Aeron.

Fuzz1111
Mar 17, 2001

Sorry. I couldn't find anyone to make you a cool cipher-themed avatar, and the look on this guy's face cracks me the fuck up.
Um this is my computer chair:

Incase the seatbelt buckle doesn't give it away, that's a carseat mounted atop the base of a cheap computer chair.

All carseat adjustments are intact: two base height adjustments, recline, lumber, and forward/backward. In order to keep the last one, I had to retain the rails, so I made a wooden base that the rails bolt onto, which then is bolted onto the office chair base - the hardest part was removing the mounting brackets from the rails (over an hour of drilling, hammering, sawing and swearing - bear in mind the seatbelt buckle is attached to the seat so it needs to be very well secured to the car). You might wonder what the point of keeping forward/backward adjust is when I can just move the whole seat forward - it's so I can use the recline without topping over (by shifting forward first).

The result is pretty loving comfortable, only problem is that the lowest height setting is fairly high (because the distance between the wooden base and the seat surface is a lot more than the thickness of the bit of cardboard and foam that it replaces), doesn't bother me but I'm 6"2.

Fuzz1111 fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Feb 16, 2011

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I've been thinking that the chair I sit in at work is really nice and I should get one of those. So I open this thread and finally look up what an Aeron is. Turns out it's an aeron chair. So thanks for crushing my dreams of having a nice chair, thread.

At least the government was willing to pay 600 bucks each for a bunch of chairs to sit in while I browse the internet all day.

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

SnowWolf posted:

Is it a good idea to buy an Aeron chair from ebay? Seems like they can be had for around $600 shipped and I don't know of any furniture liquidators nearby.

I scanned ebay for a while to determine:

There are 2 main types of Aeron - Basic and 'Fully Loaded' The FL has additional adjustment options that most would probably consider essential (I do).

New (size C)
Basic ~680
FL ~890

Thus, for used, I consider a good price for a FL to be <500 shipped. On ebay they can run from 450-600 used. I snagged mine with a buy-it-now set at 400 (80 shipping) which I jumped on right quick.

Also loving the warranty. Mine apparently had another year left and when I destroyed the arm adjust bolt, I contacted them and they sent one to me for free.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Ample posted:

Is the warranty really worth it though. I always see "open boxed" "like new" aerons on craigs list from $399 to $800. I'm in desperate need of a chair but the warranty literarily doubles the costs of it. The computer chair for the computer is going to end up costing more than the computer itself.

Is the warranty not available on those? I was under the impression that it works even if it transfers ownership. The chair is just covered for 12 years. If you find a good deal on one, you may want to contact Herman Miller and ask them if the chair is covered by warranty and for how long before buying. Maybe even see if you can get the receipt from the original

For me, the warranty is worth it. I work from home so I can be in the chair for almost 10 hours a day. And if my chair breaks, I need it fixed quickly. But if you're not using the chair that much and it's just not that important to you, there are probably cheaper options available.

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006

Niwrad posted:

Is the warranty not available on those? I was under the impression that it works even if it transfers ownership. The chair is just covered for 12 years. If you find a good deal on one, you may want to contact Herman Miller and ask them if the chair is covered by warranty and for how long before buying. Maybe even see if you can get the receipt from the original

Herman miller AFAIK only honors the warranty for the initial purchase. Used chairs are not covered.

However Steelcase and a number of other high end manufacturers honor theirs outside of the initial purchaser.

Bryne
Feb 13, 2008

The Treachery of Forums

Juriko posted:

However Steelcase and a number of other high end manufacturers honor theirs outside of the initial purchaser.

Steelcase.com posted:

This Limited Warranty is valid only for the original purchaser and terminates if you transfer, sell or modify the Product. This Limited Warranty begins on the date the Product is manufactured and continues for:

Steelcase seemingly does not. I was looking at refurbishers/ebay but this seems like kind of a dealbreaker.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Hoborg posted:

I did some googling and found a few London-based companies that sell prebuilt Aeron chairs at a substantial discount and with 48-hour delivery.

It's due to arrive sometime tomorrow, would anyone be interested in a review/pics/anything?

I would be interested to hear what you think of it when you get it.

Any hints as to a url - my google only reveals links to this thread and your post.

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug

Juriko posted:

Herman miller AFAIK only honors the warranty for the initial purchase. Used chairs are not covered.

I'm not sure what the actual warranty says, but as someone who has called in a warranty repair on a Mirra all the information they ask for is printed on a sticker on the bottom of the seat.

Hollis Brown
Oct 17, 2004

It's like people only do things because they get paid, and that's just really sad
Oh god I want a HM Mirra so bad. The labs at school have them and they are super comfortable.

Hoborg
Oct 19, 2006

by T. Mascis

Dead Goon posted:

I would be interested to hear what you think of it when you get it.

Any hints as to a url - my google only reveals links to this thread and your post.

I got my chair from these folks: WellWorking.

As for my thoughts:

It's a good chair, no-doubt about that. The springy-floating feeling from the stretched fabric beats any seat cushion and the lumbar support is great, I can't fault the leather armrests either.

That said, the bits of the frame that aren't polished aluminium are made from a rather hard plastic material. Not saying that's a bad thing, but for the price of the chair they could have opted for something less artificial or maybe an all-metal frame.

Since getting it, I have noticed a lateral wobble or looseness in the frame when the seat is upright, I can't tell if this is by-design or not. It isn't that big an issue, and I'll see how it goes.

Also, I think the seat and back are removable for washing, on account of how the seat and back appear to be made from two separate pieces, and the presence of screw holes in the bottom, but I'm not going to try.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Mierdaan posted:

I'm not sure what the actual warranty says, but as someone who has called in a warranty repair on a Mirra all the information they ask for is printed on a sticker on the bottom of the seat.

Same here. Never asked for a receipt or anything.

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006

Mierdaan posted:

I was just going off of what their site/card said. I actually haven't had to get any of my HM stuff serviced, which is in and of itself a reason I still buy more expensive chairs.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

I've been intrigued by this chair for a while now. Does anyone have one?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iu8vgHp3Cgs

Only registered members can see post attachments!

xie
Jul 29, 2004

I GET UPSET WHEN PEOPLE SPEND THEIR MONEY ON WASTEFUL THINGS THAT I DONT APPROVE OF :capitalism:
Someone on CL is selling an allegedly FL Aeron for $350. That's a really good price, right?

Hoborg
Oct 19, 2006

by T. Mascis

xie posted:

Someone on CL is selling an allegedly FL Aeron for $350. That's a really good price, right?

I'd say that's too good a price. The used Aerons I see on eBay are about £400-£600 depending on quality, with the £400 chairs being pretty scratched up or with over-stretched fabric that's lot its 'bounce'.

Best case scenario is that it's some guy who has confused his chair with one of the cheaper HM chairs, like the Mirra; or you might be lucky and found a guy who has undervalued his chair.

It could be a stolen chair, but I'm finding it hard to think up a plausible way a Craigslist crack junkie would know about Aeron chairs and price theirs like that (that said, does the CL ad say anything about wanting to sell it fast?)

I'd want to inspect the chair before purchase, even for $350.

Melraidin
Oct 11, 2005

Coredump posted:

Very interested in this chair. Please post anything useful you find about it, it seems like this is definitely the cheapest way for me to get a chair with something like the design of an Aeron here in Toronto. With shipping the chair, with mesh seat and headrest, comes to about 700 $.

xie
Jul 29, 2004

I GET UPSET WHEN PEOPLE SPEND THEIR MONEY ON WASTEFUL THINGS THAT I DONT APPROVE OF :capitalism:

Hoborg posted:

I'd say that's too good a price. The used Aerons I see on eBay are about £400-£600 depending on quality, with the £400 chairs being pretty scratched up or with over-stretched fabric that's lot its 'bounce'.

Best case scenario is that it's some guy who has confused his chair with one of the cheaper HM chairs, like the Mirra; or you might be lucky and found a guy who has undervalued his chair.

It could be a stolen chair, but I'm finding it hard to think up a plausible way a Craigslist crack junkie would know about Aeron chairs and price theirs like that (that said, does the CL ad say anything about wanting to sell it fast?)

It's a college student/grad student who has no idea what she has. Definitely not a scam. So I'm buying this. She also said the price was negotiable :xd:

I guess she could be massively obese, but the fact that it's a woman probably means the chair isnt beat to hell either. I'll make an appointment to come see it after work today.

xie fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Feb 23, 2011

Next-Gen
Sep 22, 2004

Ted Nugent is the next generation in Joint Combat soldiers

Hoborg posted:

It's not terribly unheard of. They go for something like $400-500 here in Atlanta, and I got lucky and found one for 340 dollars from a family liquidating their tech startup chairs.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Has anyone used a Haworth Zody? The higher-ups and people with a ton of seniority at my office all have one. It looks like they run $1000+.

http://www.haworth.com/en-us/Products/Furniture/Seating/Desk/Pages/Zody.aspx

Tedronai66
Aug 24, 2006
Better to Reign in Hell...
How do so many people find the Steelcase Leap so comfortable? I've had mine for 3 years (since I started), and I've never been able to adjust it to where I was comfortable.

Also, the padding on the seat is practically nonexistant anymore. Hopefully I get my adjustable desk at work soon so I don't really have to worry about it anymore.

modeski
Apr 21, 2005

Deceive, inveigle, obfuscate.
Does anyone know any good places to get proper computer chairs in Australia (particularly Melbourne)? At the moment I'm using a dining chair which is loving awful. I really don't want to buy something from Officeworks.

Hoborg
Oct 19, 2006

by T. Mascis

modeski posted:

Does anyone know any good places to get proper computer chairs in Australia (particularly Melbourne)? At the moment I'm using a dining chair which is loving awful. I really don't want to buy something from Officeworks.

There's a company called Luke based in Melbourne that looks like its got the complete range of Dotcom-company style chairs, including the Aeron, Mirra, and a few sofas to boot too:

http://luke.com.au/chairs

modeski
Apr 21, 2005

Hoborg posted:

There's a company called Luke based in Melbourne that looks like its got the complete range of Dotcom-company style chairs, including the Aeron, Mirra, and a few sofas to boot too:

http://luke.com.au/chairs

Excellent, thanks!

Fake edit: Ooh, they do Eames loungers as well. My study is gonna be bitchin'.

Xergiez
Jan 13, 2002
Xergiez
Anybody own a CB2 studio office chair? It's gotten really good reviews despite being made of bungee cords. Considering this over an Aeron/Leap V2 since they're still in the $400+ range used. Seems to last just as long as those chairs too.

http://www.cb2.com/desks-office-chairs/furniture/studio-office-chair/f1138

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

modeski posted:

MoJoDirect seem to have a good rep amongst the OverclockersAU crowd.

modeski
Apr 21, 2005

Tornhelm posted:

MoJoDirect seem to have a good rep amongst the OverclockersAU crowd.

Thanks, I'll check them out also.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Coredump posted:

I was interested in those when I was looking for a chair, but nobody anywhere has ever heard of them. I searched long and hard but never found a review or an opinion.

Ragehaver
Jul 27, 2001

"Though I often smell of excrement, I deserve your respect because I provide a valuable service."

Coredump posted:

The Ergohuman has pretty crap reviews on Amazon. I read a lot of other positive reviews around the net when it first came out, so I went into the local store and sat down in one.

It's pretty comfortable. It just feels extremely cheap and flimsy. Weird floating plastic parts being held by other low quality things here and there. The back has an embarrassing HR Giger look to it. A couple people on Amazon mention having to pay for replacement parts/etc, even though it has a "lifetime warranty" for everything.

I'd avoid it.

Tekninja
Dec 23, 2007
DIY Hacking Instructor
I purchased an Aeron from ebay a couple years ago when I got upset at being forced to buy a new "goon throne" every year or so from places like Office Depot. Best decision ever. No more back pain, good support, the mesh is really nice and you don't get sweaty like in leather. If you sit in your chair for literally all day, your body will thank you for purchasing it.

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

"Scientifically proven, rich and creamy."

I'm a big fan of the Salli saddle chair, despite the godawful video ads the company has made.

Not needing a backrest makes it also much less bulky than a normal office chair, which is a big benefit for me because my room is the size of a shoebox. The downside is that you'll need a desk that's about 20cm taller than usual.

poronty
Oct 19, 2006
a hung Aryan

Nesnej posted:

I'm a big fan of the Salli saddle chair, despite the godawful video ads the company has made.

Well they do have a sense of humor putting this video up on their own site. It even has Bruce Campbell in it! Also a lot of loudly crunching genitals.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDVMuRsGqMk

It does look interesting - does it really love your junk as much as they claim?

poronty fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Mar 7, 2011

poronty
Oct 19, 2006
a hung Aryan
e =/= q

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

"Scientifically proven, rich and creamy."

poronty posted:

It does look interesting - does it really love your junk as much as they claim?
Dunno, I've never sat in the non-split version, so I can't say how much that would bust your balls. I've had one for a couple of years and I can't see myself sitting on anything else.

jomiel
Feb 19, 2008

nya
I went to Room&Board this weekend to try out all the Herman Miller chairs, and really liked the new Sayl chair. It's the cheapest HM chair which is great, and I preferred its stiff support over some of the others. (Well, I liked the Embody too but this one is <500.) The store didn't have the colors I wanted so I placed my order from Herman Miller online.

Now just waiting 5/17...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreelanceSocialist
Nov 19, 2002

Hexaemeron posted:

Edit2: There's a $400 stool that is also supposedly designed to strengthen your core by making you fight to stay upright. http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2011/01/wigli-stool-has-your-back/ It's made by the Dutch, whose milkmaids know a thing or two about stools.

Or you could spend ~$40 instead? I did this when I had a desk at home. Get the right size and it is very comfortable for long periods.