Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Salo
Aug 31, 2004

....meh

BIG HORNY COW posted:

One problem with a no-fly zone is that the Libyan AA network would immediately be involved. If you want total air superiority its gonna involve SEAD and that means attacking ground targets - missile launchers and the associated radar systems, as well as static and self-propelled AA guns.

Intervention from anyone would turn into a full-on air campaign REALLY quick.

According to this, Libya does have a somewhat capable air defense network, including a few SA-5s that could prove dangerous, but the question is how well integrated are they and how many of the Early Warning and Engagement Radars actually work. They do have some heavy equipment, but without the possibility of an operational SA-20, tactical SEAD shouldn't be a problem for just about any modern Air Force. You hit the few EW radars and fire control center vans they have operational and you pretty much take-out their entire SAM network, minus a few line-of-sight SAMs that may be manned. Stay above a certain altitude and MANPADS shouldn't be a problem.

I'm a nerd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BethelBAR
Apr 17, 2008

by Cowcaster

Young Freud posted:

So, that would mean that those Libyan AA guns would 1) not be chopping up large numbers of protesters and 2) be blown the gently caress up, preventing them from chopping up large numbers of protesters.

I see no problem with this.

Of course this is only speculation in the same vein as your own post, but the AA Gun(s) used in slaying protesters won't be wheeled back into air defense positions, they're not mobile SAM launchers and won't stop firing on protesters any earlier than any other weapons system, they're really just large gun platforms on the back of trucks. They will blend in fairly well. The initial strike to gain air supremacy would surely kill missiles and radar guided guns first?

Once again, just stating speculation.

Sivias
Dec 12, 2006

I think we can just sit around and just talk about our feelings.
Wow, what that guy just said about Quadaffi and the African Union on AJE. Talking about how the rest of Africa aren't speaking up in any way because A) Most of the regimes in power owe it because of his financing, and B) they're afraid of him because of A.

So much oil gives so much power.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.

Kaymaster posted:

According to this, Libya does have somewhat capable air defense network, including a few SA-5s that could prove dangerous, but the question is how well integrated are they and how many of the Early Warning and Engagement Radars actually work. They do have some heavy equipment, but without the possibility of an operational SA-20, tactical SEAD shouldn't be a problem for just about any modern Air Force. You hit the few EW radars and fire control center vans they have operational and you pretty much take-out their entire SAM network, minus a few line-of-sight SAMs that may be manned. Stay above a certain altitude and MANPADS shouldn't be a problem.

I'm a nerd.
I'll address that in an edit, but for now I want to post this

AJE live blog

quote:

1:55am: Peru becomes the first country to formally severe all diplomatic ties with Libya. President Alan Garcia said:

Peru is suspending all diplomatic relations with Libya until the violence against the people ceases.

Peru also strongly protests against the repression unleashed by the dictatorship of Muammar Gaddafi against the people who are demanding democratic reforms to change the government which has been led for 40 years by the same person.

Peru why you gotta make me love you?

Edit// The problem with the point on air defenses is it presumes the air defenses over the protesters are in the hands of forces Loyal to Gaddafi. That may(or is probably) true in Tripoli, but I doubt it's true in Benghazi or the east in general. Really though I hope anyone planning for the eventuality is able to get a lot more information on the situation in country.

farraday fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Feb 23, 2011

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Nenonen posted:

He's unique, but nobody could challenge the fashion sense of the late Zaire dictator Mobutu Sese Seko.

"What's up, hoes."

Is that a pimp or a church grandma

BIG HORNY COW
Apr 11, 2003
Another issue - can't really strike AA systems in urban areas without making a mess. JDAMs and HARMs are precise weapons but they're not some magical laser that's not going to gently caress up anything around the target.

US/NATO/EU planes conducting air strikes in Libyan Metropolitan areas is no bueno.

Craiglen
Sep 2, 2006

Cjones posted:

Three hours I'd guess

Less than an hour for fighter jets.

Italy could easily send carriers over too.

Craiglen
Sep 2, 2006

Craiglen posted:

Less than an hour for fighter jets.

This would only occur as part of a NATO move.

Salo
Aug 31, 2004

....meh

farraday posted:

Edit// The problem with the point on air defenses is it presumes the air defenses over the protesters are in the hands of forces Loyal to Gaddafi. That may(or is probably) true in Tripoli, but I doubt it's true in Benghazi or the east in general. Really though I hope anyone planning for the eventuality is able to get a lot more information on the situation in country.

Yeah, very true. Unfortunately, radar blips won't tell you who is manning the SAMs.

Sivias
Dec 12, 2006

I think we can just sit around and just talk about our feelings.
So, once the novelty of protesting wears off, is the global spread for Democracy going to spread? Or will it really take some time to see if these new nations prosper under democratic rule?

Can we see movements like this in other parts of the world? Is China at all afraid of democracy spreading like Communist states of the past have?

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.

Kaymaster posted:

Yeah, very true. Unfortunately, radar blips won't tell you who is manning the SAMs.

I'd kind of doubt they're being manned at all. Air defenses aren't usually a huge priority in a violent internal rebellion.

If eastern Libya starts to organize it may become a concern.

MoonTuna
Feb 11, 2011

by angerbot
why isn't donald rumsfeld in jail yet?

let me say that again

WHY ISN'T DONALD RUMSFELD IN JAIL YET?

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Vladimir Putin posted:

Can fighter jets from Italy loiter for extended periods of time over Libya? I was thinking that an aircraft carrier would need to be parked off the coast and jets scrambled when something is picked up by radar.

In any event I can't envision Italy or any other European country for that matter getting involved without the US.

They do have tanker planes, like all of the main NATO countries. But I'm not sure how well prepared they would be for such a mission on a short notice for an undefined period of time. Jet fighters require continuous maintenance, it's no good to declare a no-fly zone if after a week all planes are grounded due to wear and tear.

Craiglen posted:

Italy has two carriers but they carry helicopters and Harrier VTOL fighters. Harrier is not the best choice for this kind of mission, and Italy only has a dozen or so anyway. They wouldn't last for long in a 24/7 air superiority mission.

Nenonen fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Feb 23, 2011

BIG HORNY COW
Apr 11, 2003

Nenonen posted:

They do have tanker planes, like all of the main NATO countries. But I'm not sure how well prepared they would be for such a mission on a short notice for an undefined period of time. Jet fighters require continuous maintenance, it's no good to declare a no-fly zone if after a week all planes are grounded due to wear and tear.

If you take into account all the NATO fighters and strike aircraft within a few hours of Libya (France, Italy and Greece) there's more than enough to keep a round the clock no-fly zone enforced.

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone

Sivias posted:

Wow, what that guy just said about Quadaffi and the African Union on AJE. Talking about how the rest of Africa aren't speaking up in any way because A) Most of the regimes in power owe it because of his financing, and B) they're afraid of him because of A.

So much oil gives so much power.

Libya is still a member of the UN Human Rights Council.

It's hilarious/sad how everyone on the right and left the world over was willing to put up with Quadaffi

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Talk of the details of a no fly zone is kind of pointless, I've just realized. China and/or Russia would never let it pass the Security Council. They're too afraid of the precedent they will set when one day they might be blowing up their own protesting citizens. Russia, maybe not, but China is probably looking at all of this and taking notes for the future.

BIG HORNY COW
Apr 11, 2003

Vladimir Putin posted:

Talk of the details of a no fly zone is kind of pointless, I've just realized. China and/or Russia would never let it pass the Security Council. They're too afraid of the precedent they will set when one day they might be blowing up their own protesting citizens. Russia, maybe not, but China is probably looking at all of this and taking notes for the future.

Also, they wouldn't want to lose one of their best customers, should he - for whatever reason - actually win and put down the revolution.

edit:

Kaymaster posted:

According to this, Libya does have a somewhat capable air defense network, including a few SA-5s that could prove dangerous, but the question is how well integrated are they and how many of the Early Warning and Engagement Radars actually work. They do have some heavy equipment, but without the possibility of an operational SA-20, tactical SEAD shouldn't be a problem for just about any modern Air Force. You hit the few EW radars and fire control center vans they have operational and you pretty much take-out their entire SAM network, minus a few line-of-sight SAMs that may be manned. Stay above a certain altitude and MANPADS shouldn't be a problem.

I'm a nerd.
It blows me away - Imagine how many man-hours and millions of dollars this kind of intel would had cost in the 80s. I swear if you went back in time 25 years and told the DOD that one day a complete and reasonably accurate threat analysis of Libya's air defense network (complete with GPS coordinates) would be drawn up some guy in his free time and posted in his public journal - they'd throw you in the loony bin.

BIG HORNY COW fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Feb 23, 2011

Christina Arugula
Aug 10, 2004
How do you like your lawn? Broiled or charred?
Ramrod XTreme

Al-Saqr posted:

I felt like trying my hand at a political drawing so I sketched this up quick.

Any thoughts? I might do more on tunisia and egypt soon.

I know this was a few pages back, but this is awesome. Please do more.

If push came to shove, China wouldn't give a poo poo what the UN said, but I can see what is being said about setting a precedent (wouldn't want to set one where governments can get punished or anything). Besides, the whole world is so hooked on their cheap poo poo that the Western governments and all the people who shop at Walmart will come out in support of keeping children enslaved to make their crap.

wildmamboqueen
May 31, 2001

mad about the mage
The Great Twist

Steve Yun posted:

Is that a pimp or a church grandma

Okay, that is funny.

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all
I like how the news channels are acting like he's already dead, playing all this "life of the dictator" poo poo, and really, how could he cling on to power? Too many people have declared openly against him, and they know how bloodthirsty he is.

He's a ruthless dictator who has fled his capital city; we know what happens to them.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Magellanicice9 posted:

I know this was a few pages back, but this is awesome. Please do more.

If push came to shove, China wouldn't give a poo poo what the UN said, but I can see what is being said about setting a precedent (wouldn't want to set one where governments can get punished or anything). Besides, the whole world is so hooked on their cheap poo poo that the Western governments and all the people who shop at Walmart will come out in support of keeping children enslaved to make their crap.

One major issue for China is Taiwan ("Chinese Taipei"). In a theoretical conflict over Taiwan, China does not want to legitimize in any way a UN doctrine of intervention.

A secondary issue is the putting down of revolt. We all remember Tienanmen Square. China does not want to legitimize in any way the idea that the international community has a mandate to protect protesters from being run over by tanks.

Jack Napier
Aug 5, 2010

by Ozma

Sivias posted:

Can we see movements like this in other parts of the world? Is China at all afraid of democracy spreading like Communist states of the past have?

Democracy and Communism are in separate categories.

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
For the future as more and more mobile communications technology becomes available the world over it will be increasingly harder for any minority elite to exert strict control on a majority population without popular support. We're simply hitting an early saturation point thanks to affordable smart phones.

Look at these protests and imagine what they'll be like in a few years time when focus-free laser pico-projectors are built into phones so you can throw up a 10' screen on nearly any surface in a public place.

What exactly would happen if a group obtained footage of Tienanmen Square and projected it in multiple public areas around China on the anniversary?
Imagine a city centre on a winter evening and suddenly the wall of a store lights up with footage while a car driving past begins playing a voice-over through a megaphone explaining the short clip.
Or even the state of the villages surrounding the factories where they make Apple products.

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

'Hope' is the thing with feathers, that perches in the soul, and sings the tune, without the words, and never stops--at all.

monkeytennis posted:

There were protestors on Whitehall today, right opposite Downing Street, here are a couple of phone pics I got as I was walking down there with the family:

Nice to see the ice cream truck responding so quickly.

wildmamboqueen
May 31, 2001

mad about the mage
The Great Twist
WTF is going on? Can someone explain to me cause I am baffled.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Might want to turn on PBS for frontline's report on Egypt. Saw clips of it earlier and they had some spectacular shots of the revolution.

wildmamboqueen
May 31, 2001

mad about the mage
The Great Twist
Asking this now, will someone shoot him? They are calling for it on the street.

Zappatista
Oct 28, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Ghetto Prince posted:

I like how the news channels are acting like he's already dead, playing all this "life of the dictator" poo poo, and really, how could he cling on to power? Too many people have declared openly against him, and they know how bloodthirsty he is.

He's a ruthless dictator who has fled his capital city; we know what happens to them.

Any confirmation on where Gadaffi is? I thought that the epic ramble which he delivered today was filmed at his bombed-during-the-Reagan-years house in southern Tripoli, and that means that he's still in the capital...

Banano
Jan 10, 2005
Soiled Meat

Within golf cart range I'd say.

we bleed red
Jan 23, 2008
In what loving universe does a guy log onto GBS to check the status of a historical revolution? This one, apparently.

Thanks by the way

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Why are the children of dictators always such assholes?

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

BIG HORNY COW posted:

The problem with this is that it goes from "providing support" to a major military operation involving hundreds of sorties and strikes against ground targets. The only group who can realistically pull this off is the US Military (and the Israelis but that is COMPLETELY out of the question).

I imagine that both the RAF and the French could do it if pushed, actually, but we both have our own post-colonial issues that would make intervening pretty dodgy. Like, for instance, half of Libya's recent military kit was provided by one or the other (those fighters that defected were Mirages).

Spiderfist Island
Feb 19, 2011

Vladimir Putin posted:

Why are the children of dictators always such assholes?

It's like how most kids isolated from others become assholes. Also because their parents literally can have people killed for them if needed and any other whim satisfied as well.

Apology
Nov 12, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post
The fear of protests for democracy is spreading and making the other regressive governments take notice:

quote:

It's fifth time lucky for Red Shirt leaders
05:55 AM Feb 23, 2011
BANGKOK - Thailand's Criminal Court yesterday freed on bail seven leaders of the anti-government Red Shirt movement who were detained last year after leading mass protests that triggered a violent military crackdown.

The seven had been detained on terrorism charges since surrendering to the government on May 19 after weeks of clashes in Bangkok.

The surprise ruling came after Red Shirt allies had vowed to stage mass rallies next month against Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva if their latest request for bail was denied. The court had rejected four previous bids.

http://www.todayonline.com/World/EDC110223-0000199/Its-fifth-time-lucky-for-Red-Shirt-leaders?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

"Kill people faster! They're disturbing our workers who are busy stealing your oil!!!"

quote:

Beijing, Feb 22 (AP) China expressed concern today about the safety of Chinese citizens and businesses in Libya after one of its construction companies was reportedly looted and its workers run off by gunmen.

The official Xinhua News Agency said President Hu Jintao ordered "all-out efforts" to protect Chinese in Libya and the State Council, China's Cabinet, ordered an emergency team be set up to coordinate the evacuation of any stranded Chinese.

Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesman Ma Zhaoxu told reporters at a regular news briefing that some Chinese citizens have been injured amid the unrest and businesses damaged.

Ma urged Libya to "restore social stability and normalcy as soon as possible and spare no effort to protect the safety of Chinese people, organizations and assets in Libya." Unidentified gunmen entered a construction site in the northeastern Libyan city of Ajdabiya on Sunday night, looted computers and other goods and drove off the 1,000 workers employed by the China Huafeng Company, said reports on theSina.com web site and in other media.

China has a large and growing presence in Libya, as it does in much of Africa. The China Youth Daily and other statemedia said some 30,000 Chinese nationals were in Libya.

http://news.oneindia.in/2011/02/23/chinaurges-libya-to-restore-socialstability-aid0126.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Gaddahfi's reign of terror may not be over, but already the Libyan people are freer than they've been in the last 40 years:

quote:

In "Free Libya," the people are laughing at Muammar Gaddafi as he goes on and on in a speech, dressed in a traditional outfit called a jard. A dozen men gathered in a roadside cafeteria in the town of Tobruk, about 100 miles from the Egyptian border, to watch the spectacle in one of the few buildings lit up on Tuesday night. The towns here are poorer and sparser than their Egyptian counterparts. But the locals now have the luxury of poking fun at the man who once had the power of life-or-death over them. "He has a hole in his shirt," one said. "Now he is a poor man!" another shouted. They all laughed.

http://www.time.com/time/world/article/0,8599,2053198,00.html

Some interesting speculation from an unnamed secret source. While it's unconfirmed, it's likely to be correct:

quote:

Gaddafi's Next Move: Sabotage Oil and Sow Chaos?
By ROBERT BAER Tuesday, Feb. 22, 2011

There's been virtually no reliable information coming out of Tripoli, but a source close to the Gaddafi regime I did manage to get hold of told me the already terrible situation in Libya will get much worse. Among other things, Gaddafi has ordered security services to start sabotaging oil facilities. They will start by blowing up several oil pipelines, cutting off flow to Mediterranean ports. The sabotage, according to the insider, is meant to serve as a message to Libya's rebellious tribes: It's either me or chaos.

Two weeks ago this same man had told me the uprisings in Tunisia and Egypt would never touch Libya. Gaddafi, he said, had a tight lock on all of the major tribes, the same ones that have kept him in power for the past 41 years. The man of course turned out to be wrong, and everything he now has to say about Gaddafi's intentions needs to be taken in that context.

The source went on and told me that Gaddafi's desperation has a lot to with the fact that he now can only count on the loyalty of his tribe, the Qadhadhfa. And as for the army, as of Monday he only has the loyalty of approximately 5,000 troops. They are his elite forces, the officers all handpicked. Among them is the unit commanded by his second youngest son Khamis, the 32nd Brigade. (The total strength of the regular Libyan army is 45,000.)

My Libyan source said that Gaddafi has told people around him that he knows he cannot retake Libya with the forces he has. But what he can do is make the rebellious tribes and army officers regret their disloyalty, turning Libya into another Somalia. "I have the money and arms to fight for a long time," Gaddafi reportedly said.

As part of the same plan to turn the tables, Gaddafi ordered the release from prison of the country's Islamic militant prisoners, hoping they will act on their own to sow chaos across Libya. Gaddafi envisages them attacking foreigners and rebellious tribes. Couple that with a shortage of food supplies, and any chance for the rebels to replace Gaddafi will be remote.

My Libyan source said that in order to understand Gaddafi's state of mind we need to understand that he feels deeply betrayed by the media, which he blames for sparking the revolt. In particular, he blames the Qatari TV station al-Jazeera, and is convinced it targeted him for purely political motivations. He also feels betrayed by the West because it has only encouraged the revolt. Over the weekend, he warned several European embassies that if he falls, the consequence will be a flood of African immigration that will "swamp" Europe.

Pressed, my Libyan source acknowledged Gaddafi is a desperate, irrational man, and his threats to turn Libya into another Somalia at this point may be mostly bluffing. On the other hand, if Gaddafi in fact enjoys the loyalty of troops he thinks he has, he very well could take Libya to the brink of civil war, if not over.

Baer, a former Middle East CIA field officer, is TIME.com's intelligence columnist and the author of See No Evil and, most recently, The Devil We Know: Dealing with the New Iranian Superpower.

http://www.time.com/time/world/article/0,8599,2052961,00.html

And a little non-violent news that has nothing to do with the protests. I'm not familiar with this author but I'll bet that you Brits are:

quote:

Book lovers who have long thirsted for more "lashings of ginger beer" or further "jolly japes" could be in for an unexpected treat – more than 40 years after the death of Enid Blyton.

To the delight of her fans of all ages, an unpublished novel by the late children's writer is believed to have been discovered in an archive of her work.

Mr Tumpy's Caravan, a 180-page fantasy story thought to have been unknown previously, was found among a collection of manuscripts auctioned in September.

A charity, the Seven Stories children's book centre in Newcastle, paid around £40,000 at the time for the haul, which included Malory Towers and Secret Seven books.

However, it took archivist Hannah Green to discover the unpublished work, which follows the adventures of a caravan with feet and mind of its own. "It's really exciting. It's not a short story. It's around 200 A4 pages, all written with a typewriter," said a spokeswoman for the centre.

"It's a very clean manuscript with no spelling mistakes. Hannah read it and really enjoyed the story."

The manuscript was initially believed to be a version of a picture book called Mr Tumpy and His Caravan, which was compiled using comic strips, but the Enid Blyton Society confirmed it appeared to be a completely different book.

Imogen Smallwood, Blyton's youngest daughter, told BBC News: "It's a whole book, written with words, about a completely different Mr Tumpy and indeed a completely different caravan.

"There's always excitement when an unknown typescript is found of anybody's who is well known.

"Because this wasn't even known about, it has to rank quite high."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2011/feb/23/enid-blyton-manuscript-found?CMP=twt_fd

It sounds like a pretty good children's book. :3:

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

CNN is reporting that Libya's Interior Minister resigned.

http://edition.cnn.com/2011/WORLD/africa/02/22/libya.protests/index.html?hpt=T1&iref=BN1

CNN posted:

Libya's interior minister said Wednesday he has quit the government and is supporting the protesters, who he predicted will achieve victory in "days or hours."
Ex-Interior Minister Abdul Fattah Younis al Abidi told CNN that he resigned Monday after hearing that some 300 unarmed civilians had been killed in Benghazi during the prior two to three days. He accused Libyan leader Moammar Gadhafi of planning to attack civilians on a wide scale.

"Gadhafi told me he was planning on using airplanes against the people in Benghazi, and I told him that he will have thousands of people killed if he does that," Abidi said in an Arabic-language telephone interview conducted Wednesday.

Abidi said he now supports the people and the revolution.

He called Gadhafi "a stubborn man" who will not give up. "He will either commit suicide or he will get killed," said Abidi, who said he has known him since 1964.

sweeptheleg
Nov 26, 2007

quote:

There's been virtually no reliable information coming out of Tripoli, but a source close to the Gaddafi regime I did manage to get hold of told me the already terrible situation in Libya will get much worse. Among other things, Gaddafi has ordered security services to start sabotaging oil facilities. They will start by blowing up several oil pipelines, cutting off flow to Mediterranean ports. The sabotage, according to the insider, is meant to serve as a message to Libya's rebellious tribes: It's either me or chaos.

He starts blowing up oil pipelines it might make an intervention more likely

Spiderfist Island
Feb 19, 2011

quote:

Pressed, my Libyan source acknowledged Gaddafi is a desperate, irrational man, and his threats to turn Libya into another Somalia at this point may be mostly bluffing. On the other hand, if Gaddafi in fact enjoys the loyalty of troops he thinks he has, he very well could take Libya to the brink of civil war, if not over.

Unlike Somalia, it seems that the people of Libya have found their identity in the country. An identity opposed to him.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.

Vladimir Putin posted:

China's vetoed 6 times in the history of the UNSC, all directly related to their interests. They'd probably just abstain.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Oh man I'm seeing vision of $150+ dollar barrels of oil again.
That idiot is going to wreck the entire world economy if he smashes Libya's oil supplies!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HORNY COW
Apr 11, 2003
You gotta love China and Russia dragging their heels on a hollow and ultimately meaningless UN condemnation of CQ - wouldn't want to look like, god forbid, HYPOCRITES when your brutalize your own populations further down the road, would you?

• Locked thread