Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bigdee4933
Jun 15, 2006
Bigdee4933

FireTora posted:

Still kinda want to get a subwoofer but don't really need it.

Your dorm mates will hate you if you get one. Even my little 8 inch subwoofer I had my freshman year rattled all the doors on my side of the hall. Dorm rooms are not really made to hold sound.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AzCoug
Jun 10, 2010

FireTora posted:

Finally got mine all set up the way I want 9 months after I got my speakers up here.

Pretty nice dorm room compared to my old college standards! Subs are always nice for that nice "full" sound, but I can see where it would be a problem in the dorm.

Those are some pretty nice looking speakers for that small of an area, I'm sure you don't have any problems getting the surround sound feel, especially with those rear channels right up in your ear drums!

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Bigdee4933 posted:

Your dorm mates will hate you if you get one. Even my little 8 inch subwoofer I had my freshman year rattled all the doors on my side of the hall. Dorm rooms are not really made to hold sound.

The larger your main/center speakers, The less you need to rely on a lovely sounding sub. I bet some big speakers, with a larger sub would have annoyed your room mates less. I'm running floorstanding speakers, and a 12" sub 300watt amp (600 watt peak), and have never had a complaint.

With small speakers and an 8" sub, you're going to get that booming bass for anything under 150hz, and it all sounds like the same tone. Just a flat single bass tone for anything that isn't dialogue. It's annoying as hell. With my setup, you can't really tell you have a sub, there are no overbearing tones, they just extend deeper into the low frequency range (I can feel tones at 19hz and start to hear them at 21hz).

gregday
May 23, 2003

Just getting around to the living room. Sofa was delivered this week. The carpet is terrible and will be replaced soon so the room won't be so dreary looking.

46" Sony Bravia, the 60Hz model with only 2 devices connected: a Philips region free DVD player and a 2nd gen Apple TV. Currently still shopping for and audio solution.

And the wall behind the sofa is just crying out for some art.

remii
May 20, 2003

OK, that's enough.
If we go on, you're Hamburger!
I'm not good at taking pictures. I'm pretty good at buying stuff on the cheap though. The only things listed I purchased brand new are the Ushers, NAD amplifer and HTPC. Everything else was found on the bay.

Lounge Room

The speakers are by an Australian company called Axis. The sub is a sealed 12" design. Fantastic for music. Amplifier is a NAD C326BEE, which is probably the only thing I'll upgrade in the near future. Despite the speakers having reasonably high sensitivity, the amp needs to be worked pretty hard to fill the large room. On the bottom shelf is a HTPC with a Xonar STX soundcard and lastly, an early ROTEL CD player. Which despite it's age, is immaculate and operates perfectly.
Yes, I use a keyboard and mouse for my HTPC. I suck.

Study

All the items that don't have remotes live in this room. I use my study more so it gets the better CD player, which is a Harman/Kardon HD7300. Speakers are the fantastic Usher S520s. Amplifier is a late 80s/early 90s (not entirely sure) Technics SU-Z400 which has never had to be driven past '2' on the volume slider. It's an awesome amplifer which has a much heavier and sturdier build to it than my NAD, which was purchased brand new 6 months ago. This computer only has a Xonar DX, so that will be replaced in the future. This computer will probably get the STX and an external DAC will go in the lounge. I like the STX because it's game friendly.

Timage
Feb 6, 2006

Relatively simple setup. Sony 46HX800, PS3, Wii. Speakers are the older Magnat Monitor 1000s, while the centre and rears are the newer Magnat Monitor Supremes. Amp is an old Pioneer VSX-D712. Hoping to upgrade the front speakers to the Magnat Quantums one day. Also need a sub, will most likely go a Velodyne CHT12Q or maybe the 10".

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Any thoughts on these speakers? Amazon has got 'em for $249 right now, and I'm tempted to pull the trigger just so I can replace my ugly, bigger Onkyo speakers that I got awhile back. Mainly because the wife doesn't like the look of them.

revengeanceful
Sep 27, 2006

Glory, glory Man United!

Timage posted:

This is such an awesome sleek setup, everything about this picture is great...except for the copy of Game Informer on your coffee table. :stare:

bEatmstrJ
Jun 30, 2004

Look upon my bathroom joists, ye females, and despair.

EC posted:

Any thoughts on these speakers? Amazon has got 'em for $249 right now, and I'm tempted to pull the trigger just so I can replace my ugly, bigger Onkyo speakers that I got awhile back. Mainly because the wife doesn't like the look of them.

I had the TSS-1100 system for a while and I was pretty happy with them. Good quality, very sturdy and they sounded great. Mine were a step up from the TSS-800 but i'm sure you'll find similar quality.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

Timage posted:

Relatively simple setup. Sony 46HX800, PS3, Wii. Speakers are the older Magnat Monitor 1000s, while the centre and rears are the newer Magnat Monitor Supremes. Amp is an old Pioneer VSX-D712. Hoping to upgrade the front speakers to the Magnat Quantums one day. Also need a sub, will most likely go a Velodyne CHT12Q or maybe the 10".

Where did you get your stand/furniture/tv holder thingy?

Timage
Feb 6, 2006

revengeanceful posted:

This is such an awesome sleek setup, everything about this picture is great...except for the copy of Game Informer on your coffee table. :stare:

The Game Informer is my roommate's so don't judge me. :v:

Ghostnuke posted:

Where did you get your stand/furniture/tv holder thingy?

It was a cheap thing from one of those discount furniture stores. Not the really cheap and nasty stores, the one that's one step below a proper furniture outlet. To be honest I will probably change it soon. I like the shape of the unit but not the colour or the style of the doors/accents.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

EC posted:

Probably not good. They're less than $50 per speaker.

Technowrite
Jan 18, 2006

I first battled the Metroids on Planet Zebes.
Anyone got a good link on how to be better with cable management? I think it's time for a redo behind my television.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

Technowrite posted:

Anyone got a good link on how to be better with cable management? I think it's time for a redo behind my television.

seriously seriously need this... I'd pay someone $30 to come over and solve my whole cable fiasco

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Get a roll of velcro. It's expensive, but worth it. Any cable visible on the front of my A/V cabinet I coiled up neatly and tightly wrapped with velcro, but in the back I just make a couple of large bundles and put loops of velcro holding it all together so it isn't visible drooping below the back.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Technowrite posted:

Just get a bunch of poo poo from here

http://www.monoprice.com/products/subdepartment.asp?c_id=105&cp_id=10520

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

The delicious snack cake.

Technowrite posted:

Maybe this will help: http://www.flickr.com/photos/evoque/sets/72157607303548820/with/2859202133/
It's just an idea :3:

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

devmd01 posted:

Get a roll of velcro. It's expensive, but worth it.

http://www.homedepot.com/Tools-Hard...catalogId=10053

$4.47 for 50 velcro straps. I use them for everything.

cbubbles
Mar 15, 2007

I'm soooo into you

TheMadMilkman posted:

These are fantastic. The length is good, and they're somewhat thin so they're useful for a lot of things. They have a decent hold.

Basically any cable that needs some form of organizing, I gladly setup one or two of these guys on it.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

TheMadMilkman posted:

http://www.hookandloop.com/site/product.cfm?id=velcro_black_one-wrap_189755

Expensive compared to zip ties, but zip ties are the devil.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

I use this:
http://www.staples.com/Staples-Cable-Zipper/product_633146?cmArea=SEARCH

Technowrite
Jan 18, 2006

I first battled the Metroids on Planet Zebes.
Oh, I have plenty of Velcro strips laying around the house. I was just wondering if anyone had a good idea about technique and how to start.

gregday
May 23, 2003

Timage posted:

The Game Informer is my roommate's so don't judge me. :v:

It was a cheap thing from one of those discount furniture stores. Not the really cheap and nasty stores, the one that's one step below a proper furniture outlet. To be honest I will probably change it soon. I like the shape of the unit but not the colour or the style of the doors/accents.

It looks similar to one I just got, http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001IDY5JU

Great price and it's a lot heavier and sturdier than I expected.

niralisse
Sep 14, 2003
custom text: never ending story

Technowrite posted:

Oh, I have plenty of Velcro strips laying around the house. I was just wondering if anyone had a good idea about technique and how to start.

Here's some things I do, since I have a perverse love for solving cable messes.

I start by locating anchors. Every setup is different this way. If you're lucky you can use legs or parts of your rack to anchor your loops to, otherwise some finish nails through the velcro can work, like on the backs of the shelves.

Once you know roughly where you can stick your cables you'll want to route power. I keep 120V and speaker cables separate from everything low-voltage like video and USB. So on a rack with two sides I'll pick a side to route all the power to and find chases across the rack to that side. Anchors along the backs of horizontal shelves are good for this. Then do the low-voltage stuff, and chase it to the opposite side (generally).

If your setup is complex enough you'll also want to get a label maker, because masking tape sucks and gets disgusting fast.

I try to avoid loops and will double back across anchors when I can, but it's not always avoidable. If you have slack try to keep it close to the gear, otherwise you end up with a dozen power cables looped next to your power strip and a big mess.

You'll probably also have some cables leaving the rack, and again I'll try to divide high- and low-voltage ones and tie like cables together. Most shelves have space under or behind the bottom shelf which is a great place to run all your power to keep it out of the way (unless you have a UPS). You can use teflon carpet sliders to work under your gear when you need to get back there.

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

I'm a fucking pain machine and if you even touch my fucking car I WILL FUCKING DESTROY YOU.
I'm sick, I love cabling, I've recabled friends apartments because I thought it was ugly. What's bad about looping and why do you separate power from low power- interference?

Jayls5
Mar 5, 2007

by angerbeet

Place is a mess, but you get the idea.

MrData
Jun 28, 2008

Optoma Full HD projector
Behind the screen is a Panasonic 37' Plasma, built into the frame
XBMC on a ASROCK ION pc for streaming stuff
Xbox and Xbox 360
Onkyo 607 receiver
Crappy speakers that need to be replaced desperately
Almost eveything can be controlled by a Harmony One, including the lights in the frame and the one behind the couch

Strict 9
Jun 20, 2001

by Y Kant Ozma Post

MrData posted:

Optoma Full HD projector
Behind the screen is a Panasonic 37' Plasma, built into the frame
XBMC on a ASROCK ION pc for streaming stuff
Xbox and Xbox 360
Onkyo 607 receiver
Crappy speakers that need to be replaced desperately
Almost eveything can be controlled by a Harmony One, including the lights in the frame and the one behind the couch

Nice. Got a very similar setup (XBMC on AsRock, Xbox 360, Onkyo 607, Harmony One) that I'll be posting soon.

What is your setup for controlling your lights with the Harmony?

Bigdee4933
Jun 15, 2006
Bigdee4933

Not an Anthem posted:

I'm sick, I love cabling, I've recabled friends apartments because I thought it was ugly. What's bad about looping and why do you separate power from low power- interference?

Yeah. But looping low voltage isn't anything to worry about. Just keep your power separate and not looped.

MrData
Jun 28, 2008

Strict 9 posted:

Nice. Got a very similar setup (XBMC on AsRock, Xbox 360, Onkyo 607, Harmony One) that I'll be posting soon.

What is your setup for controlling your lights with the Harmony?

I use a Powermid XS set, which converts the infrared signal to RF. The lights are plugged in through (cheap) RF dimmers. The whole setup is like $75. So what happens is: the harmony sends out on/off IR signals to the powermid, that converts the signal to RF and sends it through the air, and the dimmers pick up that signal.

Strict 9
Jun 20, 2001

by Y Kant Ozma Post

MrData posted:

I use a Powermid XS set, which converts the infrared signal to RF. The lights are plugged in through (cheap) RF dimmers. The whole setup is like $75. So what happens is: the harmony sends out on/off IR signals to the powermid, that converts the signal to RF and sends it through the air, and the dimmers pick up that signal.

Nice, good price to. What do your lamps plug into though? I can only find the transmitter and receiver to buy. Are you just using those standard cheap XM lamp modules?

MrData
Jun 28, 2008

Strict 9 posted:

Nice, good price to. What do your lamps plug into though? I can only find the transmitter and receiver to buy. Are you just using those standard cheap XM lamp modules?

The lights plug into these kinds of fittings, they come as simple on/off switches or as dimmers:

http://translate.google.nl/translat...l.asp%3Fid%3D28

This is a European brand so I'm not sure how much help this is to you, but I'm sure you can find comparable products anywhere else. You should definately poke around the Harmony forums too. Basically, you need to be able to send the same type of signal that your fittings normally would accept from the little remote that comes with it. In my case, the Harmony had a compatable type (again I got this from the forums) in its database so the setup was just a matter of configuring the fittings to a certain channel (just setting a switch on them), a few clicks in the Harmony software and you're done.

Wumps
Jun 3, 2010
Poking in to share my setup.

Samsung PN58B860
Denon AVR-790
Martin Logan Dynamo 500
4 Definitive Technologies Pro-Monitor 1000
JBL Northridge E Center channel

This summer looking to replace the Def Techs with Martin's Vantage 8 and the JBL with a Motif. Next year, a Lexicon or Mark Levinson amp :)

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?
Another college kid's bedroom setup:

screen: Acer P244w - Joe Walsh edition
receiver: Sony STR-DG500
sub: Yamaha 10" 50Watt RMS
towers: Polk Audio RT800i (80 bucks for the pair at a garage sale :woop: )
PC: 4 year old Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz, NVidia 9800GT overclocked, M-Audio 5.1 with digital out
XBox 360

rear: Sony MB150H, demoted from fronts when I found the Polks
Booze

Gotta have some tunes in the bathroom too.

Camera's at the parents' place, and my phone sucks. Better pics will come for next year's apartment when I have a real TV.

afen
Sep 23, 2003

nemo saltat sobrius

Output:
Speakers: Infinity Kappa 9.2i
Amplifier: Aragon 4004 MkII
Surr Proc: Emotiva UMC-1

Input:
-PS3
-WII
-ASRock 330 HTPC
-HD PVR Cable box

Monoprice digital and bluejeans analogue cables

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

afen posted:

Output:
Speakers: Infinity Kappa 9.2i
Amplifier: Aragon 4004 MkII
Surr Proc: Emotiva UMC-1

Input:
-PS3
-WII
-ASRock 330 HTPC
-HD PVR Cable box

Monoprice digital and bluejeans analogue cables

Tell us everything you like/dislike about the UMC-1. I want one.

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

Not an Anthem posted:

Looping turns cabling into loop antennas or giant inductors. I live about 3/4 of a mile from a radio station, and if I loop even BALANCED cables (XLR's and TRS lines) I begin to pick up the local easy-listening station on any speakers without ferrite terminators.

I would go a step further with the separation. Make power its own bundle, due to it's tendency to transmit a hum into the speaker lines.

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh

jonathan posted:

Tell us everything you like/dislike about the UMC-1. I want one.

Its only good for 2 channel. The anthem MRX-300 is very similar all around for $1000, but it is a receiver not a pre-amp. The biggest issue with the UMC-1 is no surround sound EQ, while the mrx-300 comes with ARC which is quite powerful for consumer stuff.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Omegaslast posted:

Its only good for 2 channel. The anthem MRX-300 is very similar all around for $1000, but it is a receiver not a pre-amp. The biggest issue with the UMC-1 is no surround sound EQ, while the mrx-300 comes with ARC which is quite powerful for consumer stuff.

Wait what ? It's a 7.1 channel processor. And it doesn't eq in surround ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

I'm a fucking pain machine and if you even touch my fucking car I WILL FUCKING DESTROY YOU.

Dannywilson posted:

Looping turns cabling into loop antennas or giant inductors. I live about 3/4 of a mile from a radio station, and if I loop even BALANCED cables (XLR's and TRS lines) I begin to pick up the local easy-listening station on any speakers without ferrite terminators.

I would go a step further with the separation. Make power its own bundle, due to it's tendency to transmit a hum into the speaker lines.

Awesome, thanks for the wisdom.