Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Jerusalem posted:

At the Rumble the month before No Way Out, Steiner had what may have legitimately been the WORST match of 2003 and perhaps the decade against Triple H. He "won" the match by DQ, so he got to have a rematch which wasn't exactly a tantalizing prospect, and I think they just got him out of the way as soon as possible by having him beat up Evolution but get clocked with the title belt and pedigreed to lose the title rematch.

It also had the arm wrestling contest and pushup contest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

LightsGameraAction posted:

I'm not denying that either match was awful (at No Way Out the crowd is VERY pro Triple H despite him being the cheating heel in the match), I'm just surprised because of how Steiner just drops off the face of the card.

The match was REALLY just that bad, it completely soured a lot of people on Steiner, I'm positive. I know it did me.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Suben posted:

The Rumble match was the one with the Stumblebomb '03 right?

The technical term is the "Double Underhook What The gently caress Was That?"

Toadofsky
Dec 19, 2002

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Two questions. First question, what are the best books on the history of wrestling? I love reading about the old territories system and things like the old NWA and the AWA. I'd also be interested in good DVDs that cover these topics, since I've heard some mixed things about some 'history of' DVDs (Rise and Fall of WCW in particular).

Second question, it's probably been asked before but, does anybody know who is better than Kanyon?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Toadofsky posted:

Two questions. First question, what are the best books on the history of wrestling? I love reading about the old territories system and things like the old NWA and the AWA. I'd also be interested in good DVDs that cover these topics, since I've heard some mixed things about some 'history of' DVDs (Rise and Fall of WCW in particular).

Second question, it's probably been asked before but, does anybody know who is better than Kanyon?

anti depressants

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
Steiner is a classic example of WWE paying a bunch of money to a dude and putting him in just about the worst situation. Scott Steiner is an awesome brawler. You don't put him in Epic HHH Main Event Matches.

Toadofsky posted:

There's an NWA book that came out in 2007 or 2008. I heard it's good, but it reads like a textbook.

The only DVD that isn't really tainted by WWE influence is Heroes of World Class, and it's out of print.

Nut Bunnies fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Feb 23, 2011

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Captain Charisma posted:

Steiner is a classic example of WWE paying a bunch of money to a dude and putting him in just about the worst situation. Scott Steiner is an awesome brawler. You don't put him in Epic HHH Main Event Matches.

It also does not help that they did not have him wrestle before the Royal Rumble. They just had him in contests like a body building one, push up and arm wrestling.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

It also did not help that during that period Scott Steiner was living in a house made from steroids and ate steroids for breakfast his clothes were made of steroids and he had a little dog called Steroids that was itself made from steroids and he ate the dog. And when they asked him to take a steroid test, he is PROUD to admit that he responded,"Only if Triple H does too heh totally showed you that time didn't I!"

Eddie Whitson
Nov 2, 2010

Jerusalem posted:

And when they asked him to take a steroid test, he is PROUD to admit that he responded,"Only if Triple H does too heh totally showed you that time didn't I!"

And then right then and there, he shot steroids right into his steroids and did some more steroids. But hey, he can do math now!

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
HHH was bloated as loving poo poo from the time he got back until sometime in 2004. I don't think we can single Steiner out.

HHH was also having terrible matches in that time period too so

El Duke Silver
Aug 15, 2008

rarely goes out and should never be approached

Captain Charisma posted:

HHH was bloated as loving poo poo from the time he got back until sometime in 2004. I don't think we can single Steiner out.

HHH was also having terrible matches in that time period too so

HHH was having bad matches with Shawn Michaels during this time. Shawn Michaels. Because they had to be ridiculous HHH main event masturbation sessions. If Steiner was working with Shawn, Shawn would have probably dragged at least something decent out of him.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I'm certainly not defending Triple H, after all you can't blame Steiner for Triple H's almost as bad match with Kane - but Steiner was utterly disgusting at the time, his body was just revolting.

That entire period was probably the worst in-ring wise for Triple H, he was far too big, barely mobile and seemed to have forgotten everything that had made him pretty much the best wrestler in the world only a couple of years earlier.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme

DannoMack posted:

When did they do away with Spanish/French announce tables at ringside?

I don't recall seeing a French announce table, but the last time I can remember seeing the Spanish announce table was during Jericho/Edge at WM26 last year.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN
Most practitioners of the Stumblebomb drop their opponent straight down before they fall backwards. Steiner was quite a visionary.

LightsGameraAction
Sep 4, 2006

Jerusalem posted:

I'm certainly not defending Triple H, after all you can't blame Steiner for Triple H's almost as bad match with Kane - but Steiner was utterly disgusting at the time, his body was just revolting.

That entire period was probably the worst in-ring wise for Triple H, he was far too big, barely mobile and seemed to have forgotten everything that had made him pretty much the best wrestler in the world only a couple of years earlier.

Early Triple H where he would just pick apart guys' limbs one by one was always my favorite. I think this was when he developed the nasty habit of just becoming a "pull power moves out of nowhere" guy.

It was also an annoying period in Triple H's career because he was one of the top heels in the company, heading up one of the top heel stables, and cheating and playing the cowardly heel act at almost any turn, but before every match where the belt was on the line everyone in the company emphasized in packages and on commentary how he lives for the title and it means more than the world to him and how he's such a true competitor at heart.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

Jerusalem posted:

Steiner was utterly disgusting at the time, his body was just revolting.

I won't disagree with you at all but

Unfortunately I couldn't find a decent enough photo of him in the purple trunks or bicycle shorts.

It was also an annoying period in Triple H's career because he was one of the top heels in the company, heading up one of the top heel stables, and cheating and playing the cowardly heel act at almost any turn, but before every match where the belt was on the line everyone in the company emphasized in packages and on commentary how he lives for the title and it means more than the world to him and how he's such a true competitor at heart.

Don't forget continually not getting that "If you bury your opponent and make him a nobody that means you're beating a nobody!"

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
JON GETS STABBED TO DEATH
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON

Early Triple H where he would just pick apart guys' limbs one by one was always my favorite. I think this was when he developed the nasty habit of just becoming a "pull power moves out of nowhere" guy.

I thinks thats just the way the WWE tells their guys to wrestle, someone mentioned it recently in an interview, maybe Lance Storm. Guys in WWE will sell, then pop up and kick rear end. Whereas traditionally you want to sell, sell, sell sell, sell, comeback, counter, hit big, sell some more, then win.

Hammond Egger
Feb 20, 2011

by the sex ghost
If Triple H retires after Wrestlemania where would you rank him on a list of modern greats? Greater than the Hitman? Not on the same level as Randy Savage? Up there with HBK?

I've always found it hard to put Triple H's legacy into context given so much of it has been soured by his fairly obvious politicking, but then again, time has been kind to wrestlers like Dusty Rhodes who were probably far worse for far longer periods of time. And HHH does have the power of the WWE hype machine behind him so a few years of "greatest ever" video packages might have him remembered fondly as the Hogan of the 00's... scary as that sounds.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Toadofsky posted:

If you want to read a great book on an old territory by this book.

It's about the history of Stampede Wrestling and it's loving awesome.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Saul Goode posted:

If Triple H retires after Wrestlemania where would you rank him on a list of modern greats? Greater than the Hitman? Not on the same level as Randy Savage? Up there with HBK?

I've always found it hard to put Triple H's legacy into context given so much of it has been soured by his fairly obvious politicking, but then again, time has been kind to wrestlers like Dusty Rhodes who were probably far worse for far longer periods of time. And HHH does have the power of the WWE hype machine behind him so a few years of "greatest ever" video packages might have him remembered fondly as the Hogan of the 00's... scary as that sounds.

He's at the bottom of the list of top guys from the Attitude Era for me. I'd certainly put him behind Hart and Savage and I don't think he's even in the realm of HBK.

Triple H is certainly good, but his best stuff for me has almost always been where other guys are doing the brunt of the work.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Biscuits and Gravy.

jeffersonlives posted:

Jimmy Hart wrote a lot of the music in the late-80s and at times they've been mad at him and not wanted to pay royalties.

For anyone wondering, Hart has heat with Vince because he asked and received permission to do Celebrity Championship Wrestling, said he wouldn't if Vince didn't approve, did it, then Vince decided he was pissed at Hart for doing it.

Captain Charisma posted:

There's an NWA book that came out in 2007 or 2008. I heard it's good, but it reads like a textbook.

Pretty much. It's well written from a historical perspective but I can't see reading it again. Plus it's pretty long, like a textbook.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Question about the buildup to Wrestlemania 8. They had some press conference where president Jack Tunney named Hogan as the challenger to Flair's title. A few weeks later Hogan chose to fight Sid because of their feud, so Savage stepped into the title match with Flair instead.

Was it booked like that from the get-go, or did plans actually change between that press conference and Mania? Hogan did have kayfabe reasons for going after Sid, and Flair and Savage had a ready-written angle pop up as soon as their match was made. But Hogan/Flair just seems like it would have been the bigger match, and it's especially odd considering they never had a PPV match (in WWF) after that.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Minidust posted:

Question about the buildup to Wrestlemania 8. They had some press conference where president Jack Tunney named Hogan as the challenger to Flair's title. A few weeks later Hogan chose to fight Sid because of their feud, so Savage stepped into the title match with Flair instead.

Was it booked like that from the get-go, or did plans actually change between that press conference and Mania? Hogan did have kayfabe reasons for going after Sid, and Flair and Savage had a ready-written angle pop up as soon as their match was made. But Hogan/Flair just seems like it would have been the bigger match, and it's especially odd considering they never had a PPV match (in WWF) after that.

I don't remember it exactly but Hogan-Sid was set up pretty solidly at the Rumble.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

HHH is in a weird place. Just thinking of guys who were world champs in the attitude, era, I'd put him somewhere in the middle of the pack. Above guys like Kane and even Foley, but below guys like Undertaker, Michaels, Rock, Austin.

So, yeah, he definitely belongs on a list of all-time greats, there's no question there, but where on that list he'd belong is kind of hard to answer.

Quantrill
Nov 18, 2005

Anyone have info about the "groundbreaking" announcement the WWE will make in Mexico tomorrow?

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

Quantrill posted:

Anyone have info about the "groundbreaking" announcement the WWE will make in Mexico tomorrow?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zT9JbgT_JTs

That won't be it but would be awesome if they called a PC just for JR to spout that.

Opinion seems to be something to do with mistico.

The Croc fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Feb 23, 2011

LightsGameraAction
Sep 4, 2006

maniacripper posted:

I thinks thats just the way the WWE tells their guys to wrestle, someone mentioned it recently in an interview, maybe Lance Storm. Guys in WWE will sell, then pop up and kick rear end. Whereas traditionally you want to sell, sell, sell sell, sell, comeback, counter, hit big, sell some more, then win.

That's why I initially grew to like Triple H so much. At the same time that The Rock and Austin were basically following that formula to a T, he'd be all over the ring chop-blocking the poo poo out of his opponent's legs and targeting them with all sorts of holds and kicks. It made him come off a lot more dangerous than Rock or Austin because he always seemed to have a plan for how a match goes down whereas Rock and Austin always had this really manic quality to the flow of their matches. He also used to be a lot better at selling his total bewilderment and frustration when that plan fell apart.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

The Croc posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zT9JbgT_JTs

That won't be it but would be awesome if they called a PC just for JR to spout that.

Opinion seems to be something to do with mistico.

I'd say either Mistico or they're gonna do TV tapings in Mexico. Off-chance of maybe working with CMLL in some capacity, but that's 'Sting is 2-21-11' levels of unlikely.

I'm gonna go hog-wild and guess they bought the gimmick, and he's actually coming in AS Mistico.

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

With all the HHH talk recently, my question is this: has he ever pulled of any feat of strength that justifies his abnormal musculature?

You know how John Cena will AA two people or Ezekiel Jackson will bodyslam Big Show, I can't think of a single show of strength HHH has accomplished.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

reality_groove posted:

You know how John Cena will AA two people or Ezekiel Jackson will bodyslam Big Show, I can't think of a single show of strength HHH has accomplished.

Who do you think dug all those holes he used to bury people over the years?

:downsrim:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

reality_groove posted:

With all the HHH talk recently, my question is this: has he ever pulled of any feat of strength that justifies his abnormal musculature?

Pedigreed Big Show once, I think?

EDIT: And at TLC 09 he supported Michaels on his shoulders so he could grab the tag titles.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

reality_groove posted:

Pedigreed Great Khali. Not even joking. This was the one angle that he couldn't hook the pedigree in on Great Khali because Khali had such a broad chest. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MkoFxC5r31I

KungFu Grip fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Feb 24, 2011

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Saul Goode posted:

I think a lot of it, for me, would have to fall on how long he's been in the business compared to the other greats. Unfortunately he came in after the major territories were pretty much wiped out, so he doesn't have the same type of skill or history as a guy like Hitman or HBK or even Taker. Those guys were still around when AWA, NWA, Mid-South, Stampede, WCCW and all those other territories still existed and gave time for guys to polish themselves. Guys like Hitman and HBK easily have twice the time put in the business as HHH does because (a) HHH is a younger guy and got into the business later and (b) HHH didn't really get the same kind of experience as other guys got from other wrestling organizations.

I mean yeah, he can be considered a legend, but I wouldn't honestly put him up too far on the list simply because he hasn't been around as long as a lot of other guys have.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

KungFu Grip posted:

Pedigreed Great Khali. Not even joking. This was the one angle that he couldn't hook the pedigree in on Great Khali because Khali had such a broad chest. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MkoFxC5r31I

They could have played that off as impressive back when he kept their arms hooked all the way to the ground, but not with the gimped version. It's like if Undertaker couldn't pin someone because they kept uncrossing their arms before he could do his eyes-rolled-back thing.

LightsGameraAction
Sep 4, 2006
Honestly this is going to sound pretty warped considering it was primarily during Triple H's reign of doom, but I think he deserves a decent amount of credit for keeping the torch burning after Rock, Austin, and eventually Brock had left and eventually for helping to create two of the biggest new attractions post-Attitude Era(Batista and Orton, even if you think they suck now).

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

Honestly this is going to sound pretty warped considering it was primarily during Triple H's reign of doom, but I think he deserves a decent amount of credit for keeping the torch burning after Rock, Austin, and eventually Brock had left and eventually for helping to create two of the biggest new attractions post-Attitude Era(Batista and Orton, even if you think they suck now).

I would argue that HHH's reign on top did way more harm than help. His reign of doom was ratings kryptonite, and the Katie Vick angle probably drove a significant amount of fans away. The Orton push was spectacularly botched, with them doing their big Wrestlemania main event at Unforgiven a month after Orton won the title. I won't knock him much for Batista, but the WM21 match was insanely misguided, with HHH wanting to do his classic Epic HHH WM Main Event when he needed to get the poo poo beaten out of him. And it should be mentioned that both of these were buddies of his. They were handpicked by him because they partied with him.

Just because he was the guy on top and they didn't go out of business doesn't mean he was doing good. Much of it wasn't his fault, but we shouldn't be giving a guy credit when the company he was on top of has been trending downwards for a decade.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Captain Charisma posted:

I would argue that HHH's reign on top did way more harm than help. His reign of doom was ratings kryptonite, and the Katie Vick angle probably drove a significant amount of fans away. The Orton push was spectacularly botched, with them doing their big Wrestlemania main event at Unforgiven a month after Orton won the title. I won't knock him much for Batista, but the WM21 match was insanely misguided, with HHH wanting to do his classic Epic HHH WM Main Event when he needed to get the poo poo beaten out of him. And it should be mentioned that both of these were buddies of his. They were handpicked by him because they partied with him.

Just because he was the guy on top and they didn't go out of business doesn't mean he was doing good. Much of it wasn't his fault, but we shouldn't be giving a guy credit when the company he was on top of has been trending downwards for a decade.

He got a lot of love because he was the last guy left of the Era and decided instead that it was because he was as good as those guys and they kept pushing him on us like he was and I think it tired a lot of people on the whole thing.

If Michaels never makes that comeback, I think the company trends downward faster than it already did.

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009

Endorph posted:

Pedigreed Big Show once, I think?

EDIT: And at TLC 09 he supported Michaels on his shoulders so he could grab the tag titles.

I don't wanna be rude but I wouldn't actually consider either of those a feat of strength. Carrying HBK on your shoulders dosent take any more strength/coordination than say doing an electric char drop on an average cruiserweight, and a baby could pedigree the Big Show. It dosent even require any lifting.

Thing is, even before his injuries, freakish strength was never a part of HHH's persona the way it is Ezekiel's, Cena's, or even Batista's. I just watched this match (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CB9axkkml0w) again bc I thought he may have hit a spinebuster or something but nope. God love'im.

Sue Denim
Dec 20, 2009
The Mystico discussion in the WWE thread gave me lots of weird impressions of wrestling's cultural standing in Mexico.

Just how big is it?
How do the fans differ from American fans?
What's WWE's current standing like in Mexico?
Why is it so important to them to increase their Mexican presence?

Sue Denim fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Feb 24, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

apsouthern
May 24, 2007

Chain Gang Soldier

Sue Denim posted:

The Mystico discussion in the WWE thread gave me lots of weird impressions of wrestling's cultural standing in Mexico.

Just how big is it?
How do the fans differ from American fans?
What's WWE's current standing like in Mexico?
Why is it so important to them to increase their Mexican presence?

I believe the saying goes "In Canada it's a Tradition, in Mexico it's a Religion, in Japan it's a Sport"

As for the fans, kayfabe seems to be massively important in Mexico, especially with regards to the masks. Not sure how WWE are fixed in Mexico, but I'd have thought they want to have a part of every market.