Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ryokurin
Jul 14, 2001

Wanna Die?

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

Is there a utility to clean up the service pack rollback files like we had on Vista's compcln.exe?

dism /online /cleanup-image /spsuperseded will cleanup the backup files, but keep in mind you won't be able to uninstall once you've ran it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing

Is there a utility to clean up the service pack rollback files like we had on Vista's compcln.exe?

I think something shows up in the Disk Cleanup tool

LoKout
Apr 2, 2003

Professional Fetus Taster

c0burn posted:

I think something shows up in the Disk Cleanup tool

It does - you have to click the "clean up system files" option after it's scanned. I was amazed to find 250mb of pending error reports on my drive. Weird.

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

Is there a utility to clean up the service pack rollback files like we had on 7's compcln.exe?

Discovering features 7 has too!

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Vista and 7 are still virtually identical in my mind and I will continue to use them interchangeably.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Vista and 7 are still virtually identical in my mind and I will continue to use them interchangeably.

For personal use definitely, although both XP Mode and the new RemoteFX stuff in Windows 7 are godsends for the right enterprise environments.

zapateria
Feb 16, 2003
Is anyone else unable to install Windows 7 With SP1 on VMware? When I boot and start the install, it says it can't find device drivers and to insert CD. I would paste the error message but it's in Norwegian so I don't know if it will help.

Using this as source: SW_DVD5_SA_Win_Ent_7w_SP1_64BIT_Norwegian_MLF_X17-27881.ISO

Rohaq
Aug 11, 2006

fishmech posted:

Well for people without MSDN I've extracted the x64 and x86 SP1 installers and am hosting them:
windows6.1-KB976932-X64.exe
windows6.1-KB976932-x86.exe

These are the installers that Windows Update will probably have up soon, not images of SP1 integrated DVDs. If there's a problem having these posted I'll edit it out but I don't think there should be.
Awesome, thanks for saving me from having to suffer through what is currently a painfully slow Windows Update.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

zapateria posted:

Is anyone else unable to install Windows 7 With SP1 on VMware? When I boot and start the install, it says it can't find device drivers and to insert CD. I would paste the error message but it's in Norwegian so I don't know if it will help.

Using this as source: SW_DVD5_SA_Win_Ent_7w_SP1_64BIT_Norwegian_MLF_X17-27881.ISO

What happens if you try to install plain Windows 7 and then use the SP1 updater program?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

baka kaba posted:

Looks like lots of people are having this Intellitype issue, so if anyone else gets that update don't install it at the same time as SP1 or you won't be able to roll back!

If anyone had this problem they've fixed it now, turns out they pushed the update without having all the installation files online

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

Anyone got a link to a tool or tutorial that'll let me remove ei.cfg from the windows 7 SP1 iso? The one in the OP doesn't work on it yet apparently.

EDIT: I tried IsoBuster already, no joy.

d4n4rchy
Jul 14, 2003
anyone with a logitech mouse noticing that after this service pack custom configurations on buttons aren't working anymore?
edit: reinstalled setpoint and reconfigured my mouse and all is working again

d4n4rchy fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Feb 24, 2011

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.

Gilok posted:

Anyone got a link to a tool or tutorial that'll let me remove ei.cfg from the windows 7 SP1 iso? The one in the OP doesn't work on it yet apparently.

EDIT: I tried IsoBuster already, no joy.

eicfg_removal_utility.exe sets the "deleted - ignore this file" flag for ei.cfg on the ISO image. Because it's a bit-flip, it's reversible, too.

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

univbee posted:

For personal use definitely, although both XP Mode and the new RemoteFX stuff in Windows 7 are godsends for the right enterprise environments.

If the name of Vista hadn't been so tarnished, that stuff would probably have just been a Service Pack near the end of its life, and we'd be now closer to a real Windows 7 instead of Windows 6.1.

Rohaq
Aug 11, 2006
So aside from getting stuck at 30% during the shutdown period of the reboot, resulting in me having to power down and back up, after which it resumed, SP1 seems to be in. Lovely.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

VectorSigma posted:

If the name of Vista hadn't been so tarnished, that stuff would probably have just been a Service Pack near the end of its life, and we'd be now closer to a real Windows 7 instead of Windows 6.1.

Not at all. Windows is SUPPOSED to have a new version roughly every 3 years. Getting back on the proper schedule was a good thing.

Also changing the version number to 7.0 would have broken a lot of poorly coded stuff.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

fishmech posted:

would have broken a lot of poorly coded stuff.

That one partial sentence explains almost every shortcoming Windows still has.

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

fishmech posted:

changing the version number to 7.0 would have broken a lot of poorly coded stuff.

I don't buy this, but I know it's what microsoft said rather than admit "7" was just pure marketing. That stuff is gonna break anyway when they really do start a version 7, and XP mode is meant for things like that anyway.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?

LooseChanj posted:

I don't buy this, but I know it's what microsoft said rather than admit "7" was just pure marketing. That stuff is gonna break anyway when they really do start a version 7, and XP mode is meant for things like that anyway.

That struck me as a bit odd too. Half of what the compatibility modes do is change the OS version number reported to the application (to be fair the other half is a bit more complicated) so it's not like it would be a significant problem.

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist
I went to a talk today and the presenter powered on their laptop, got a pop-up that asked them to restart their computer to finish installing updates, and they clicked OK.
It then proceeded to reboot and setup W7 SP1 while everyone was sitting there waiting.

Essobie
Jan 31, 2003

WHAT? THIS IS MY REGULAR SPEAKING VOICE.
Is this better?

Naffer posted:

I went to a talk today and the presenter powered on their laptop, got a pop-up that asked them to restart their computer to finish installing updates, and they clicked OK.
It then proceeded to reboot and setup W7 SP1 while everyone was sitting there waiting.

Protip for professional speakers: Turn off automatic updates on your presentation laptop.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

It's not as bad as one my university professors forgetting to close μTorrent on his presentation laptop. That wasn't just Linux ISOs, prof.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Naffer posted:

"Don't worry everyone, it's only 85MB"

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?

baka kaba posted:

"Don't worry everyone, it's only 85MB"

I thought I was making a joke the other day when I said to my colleague that it'd be a 75MB download which then downloads the actual service pack. Doh.

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

rolleyes posted:

That struck me as a bit odd too. Half of what the compatibility modes do is change the OS version number reported to the application (to be fair the other half is a bit more complicated) so it's not like it would be a significant problem.

I *think* what I heard during the beta from a microsoftie was that when they tried to call it version 7 it busted the inf engine or something which I still call bullshit on because we've seen things change from $CHICAGO$, $WINNT$ to whatever several times.

Ryokurin
Jul 14, 2001

Wanna Die?
But there was a legit amount of programs that would have worked fine otherwise that refused to run or install on Vista just because it saw Windows 6.0 instead of 5.1. Yes you can do things like mess with compatibility to make it work but stuff like that is why a lot of people still think that Vista wasn't compatible with anything. UAC alone should be enough to show how people will ignore what Microsoft tells them on how things should be done until it's well too late.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction
I really wish Microsoft would be willing to name and shame. It would divert a lot of consumer frustration in the right direction, I think. Coming back from a blue screen? List the driver manufacturer at fault. Installing a "comparability and reliability" update? Rename it the "Adobe ignored our application guidelines and now Acrobat is crashing" update.

Programs that bust when the version number increments? Name. And. Shame.

WorkingStiff
Jul 5, 2005

Factor Mystic posted:

I really wish Microsoft would be willing to name and shame. It would divert a lot of consumer frustration in the right direction, I think. Coming back from a blue screen? List the driver manufacturer at fault. Installing a "comparability and reliability" update? Rename it the "Adobe ignored our application guidelines and now Acrobat is crashing" update.

Programs that bust when the version number increments? Name. And. Shame.

Amen to this. 95% of the root cause of Vista bashing I've seen can be directly attributed to Nvidia chipsets and Dell.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

LooseChanj posted:

It's like what Ryokurin said. Programs and drivers were coded to look for 6.x in the version number to know when to run, faking 6.x for all of those would lead to other problems down the line and frankly that's not worth it.

And it's not like they fundamentally changed the kernel or anything either, so may as well keep it at 6.1 and not have random issues with programs that were compatible fully except for hardcoded version numbers.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Are there any Windows 7 SP1 slipstream tutorials? The only one I can find uses RT 7 Lite, which gives me a variety of error messages whether I try running it on Windows 7 or Vista.

I reinstall Windows on a regular basis so this would be very helpful. Thanks.

madprocess
Sep 23, 2004

by Ozmaugh

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Are there any Windows 7 SP1 slipstream tutorials? The only one I can find uses RT 7 Lite, which gives me a variety of error messages whether I try running it on Windows 7 or Vista.

I reinstall Windows on a regular basis so this would be very helpful. Thanks.

If you don't mind my asking, why are you constantly reinstalling? Anyway I think you're better off trying to get a hold of an official SP1 ISO.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

madprocess posted:

If you don't mind my asking, why are you constantly reinstalling? Anyway I think you're better off trying to get a hold of an official SP1 ISO.
I fix a fair few computers for friends and work colleagues (usually involving formatting), as well as having to hose my own installs the odd time due to colossal disasters.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

If you're in a corporate environment, don't slipstream. Just get the updated ISO. It will cause all kinds of hell when you try to cut an image off a system built from slipstreamed media.

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

The sad part is, he wasn't always evil.
Seriously, just get the official SP1 ISOs.

If RT7Lite is anything like VLite was you're in for problems down the line.

The non RT7Lite option is the incredibly fun method of
1. Installing Win7 to a non-primary partition
2. Hitting Ctrl-Shift-F3 once the OOBE portion of setup starts to enter Audit Mode
3. Installing SP1 in Audit Mode
4. dism /online /cleanup-image /spsuperseded
5. Sysprepping w/OOBE+Generalize options
6. Booting back into your main partition
7. Using imagex from the WAIK to compress the new SP1 partition to install.wim
8. Repeating for each edition of Windows 7.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

If you're in a corporate environment, don't slipstream. Just get the updated ISO. It will cause all kinds of hell when you try to cut an image off a system built from slipstreamed media.
Just a home user here. Is there anywhere I can legitimately get the ISO? I don't subscribe to MSDN or Technet or anything.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Who the gently caress cares what the actual version number is?

Hell they could start going backwards for all I care. Actually, I think Windows 8 version number should be "3.1.la-de-da.!!".

Arguing about whether Windows 7 should be 7 or 6.5 or what the gently caress ever is ridiculous. It has more features and costs X amount and app Y works on it and app Z doesn't. That's what matters, the version number doesn't mean anything.

Done and done.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
The version number should be on the box as the product name.

Microsoft Windows NT 6.1

revolther
May 27, 2008
We might as well start a class action against Microsoft for false advertisement and mis-labeling of goods, I thought I was getting a full 7 product revisions, not 6.5.

I guess for the courts we'll just have to say we thought we were getting 7 windows not 6 and a half.

Goreld
May 8, 2002

"Identity Crisis" MurdererWild Guess Bizarro #1Bizarro"Me am first one I suspect!"
I don't care about the software version number.

What I *do* care about is this update loving up horribly. I tried downloading it earlier today; after 3 hours it had reached 25 megs. I clicked cancel updates, then tried to reboot my computer. Well, Windows just hung at "configuring updates" for over an hour, so I said gently caress it and hard rebooted.

Now it won't even try to download the update; it just sits at 0KB when I try to initiate the service pack update.

I assume it's because Microsoft's servers can't handle the load, but who knows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Goreld posted:

I don't care about the software version number.

What I *do* care about is this update loving up horribly. I tried downloading it earlier today; after 3 hours it had reached 25 megs. I clicked cancel updates, then tried to reboot my computer. Well, Windows just hung at "configuring updates" for over an hour, so I said gently caress it and hard rebooted.

Now it won't even try to download the update; it just sits at 0KB when I try to initiate the service pack update.

I assume it's because Microsoft's servers can't handle the load, but who knows.

Try this maybe: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=199583