Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009
I kind of half swaddle Connor, wrapping him up in a blanket fairly snugly from under his armpits, but loose round the back of his head and leaving his arms free once he's been changed into his pyjamas as part of the night time routine. I don't know whether it makes much difference to his sleeping to be honest but it keeps him cosy.

Congratulations The Wormy Guy, I just took folic acid for the first 3 months which you can get most places in the UK or from the doctor (prescriptions are free for pregnant women).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chknflvrdramen
Sep 11, 2007
Making the world a better place... with cookies!

untitled posted:

It's easier to give up an hour and hold him than deal with cranky and overtired baby fallout.

A THOUSAND TIMES THIS. I still have to lie down with G sometimes for his nap, and I'll keep doing it as long as I have to. Worth it.

Twatty Seahag
Dec 30, 2007

Phooney posted:

My wife didn't get much sleep last night after I left the hospital because it seems Jake only likes to sleep while he is being cuddled. He seems to hate being swaddled and put down, and has so far struggled out of our and the midwives' best swaddling efforts and cried until he was picked up.

We're really hoping that he likes his own cot (which will be attached to the side of our bed for now) better than the clear plastic cot he is currently refusing to use. We don't *want* to co-sleep any closer than the side-car style cot, but will of course cave if that is how everybody gets more sleep.

Is it the consensus that some babies just don't like swaddling? Even though I've read through all the previous thread, all I seem to recall is just how much babies love being reminded of the constricted environment of the womb, but Jake just loves being frog-legged face to chest with mummy and daddy :3:

Pixley loves being swaddled unless she has gas, but the first 2 weeks she wouldn't sleep unless I held her. We gradually got her in her own bed. We have a pack n play next to the bed and I started out by snuggling near it and laying my hand on her tummy and rubbing her back. Now she can sleep alone until she gets hungry or poopy, which is every 2-4 hours give or take. She's 6 weeks old.

Pluto
Apr 18, 2006

Weak.
Well no wonder I couldn't find the thread, we have a new one.

I went ahead and ordered the snoogle pillow. I didn't like it that much. It squished up on my belly and likes to tuck up under my knees, and I like my feet supported. I tried it for a couple nights and went back to the regular body pillows.

It wasn't a total loss though, I traded it with a friend who recently gave birth for an obscene amount of maternity clothes. Score.

Roxy Rouge
Oct 27, 2009
I mostly lurk but wanted to announce an incoming goon baby! I am going in tomorrow at 5am for an induction due to preeclampsia--but at 39+2 it is not an early induction. I'm a little nervous but mostly excited to meet little Zachary tomorrow:)Thank you ladies for all the information and support that you offered for the last months!

The Wormy Guy
May 7, 2002

Fire In The Disco posted:

The Wormy Guy, unless she finds she's sensitive to the ingredients in regular prenatals, getting the generic from Target or Walgreens or whatever should be fine. If they make her feel sick, though, she can talk to her doctor about other options.

Thanks, we picked up the Target version of the "One-A-Day" brand that had another bottle of DHA specific pills it in.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist
I'm not familiar with that one-- is it an actual prenatal and not just a women's vitamin? The extra folic acid in prenatals is very important.

vvvv Oh, right on.

Fire In The Disco fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Feb 23, 2011

dreamcatcherkwe
Apr 14, 2005
Dreamcatcher

Fire In The Disco posted:

I'm not familiar with that one-- is it an actual prenatal and not just a women's vitamin? The extra folic acid in prenatals is very important.

Yeah there's a one-a-day prenatal that has a separate bottle of DHA capsules bundled with it. I took that one while pregnant because my midwife wanted me to take an extra DHA vitamin and this was easy to get at Walgreens.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog
I just wanted to thank everyone for their advice and support over the past year. My little guy is 3 months old today, so we graduate into the parenting thread!

(Bruce at 1 day old)

Click here for the full 800x600 image.

To:
(Bruce at 3 months old)

Click here for the full 600x800 image.

Where does the time go?!

Aericina
Mar 3, 2005

Meez, please.

dreamcatcherkwe posted:

Yeah there's a one-a-day prenatal that has a separate bottle of DHA capsules bundled with it. I took that one while pregnant because my midwife wanted me to take an extra DHA vitamin and this was easy to get at Walgreens.

Same here, which is why I went with the gummis. They include DHA in with all the prenatal goodness that comes with it in one chewy.

Elocin
Jun 27, 2007

Roxy Rouge posted:

I mostly lurk but wanted to announce an incoming goon baby! I am going in tomorrow at 5am for an induction due to preeclampsia--but at 39+2 it is not an early induction. I'm a little nervous but mostly excited to meet little Zachary tomorrow:)Thank you ladies for all the information and support that you offered for the last months!
I hope everything goes great for you tomorrow--see you on the other side! :D

The Wormy Guy
May 7, 2002

Aericina posted:

Same here, which is why I went with the gummis. They include DHA in with all the prenatal goodness that comes with it in one chewy.

We almost went with the gummies until we found out it didn't have any iron. Oh well.

Phooney
Dec 24, 2008
Jake is 3 and a half days old now and his poo has moved on to a much more yellow runny variety. This has been so easy to clean, almost all if it comes off with one swipe of the nappy.

What is causing us difficulty though, is the urine. We can't get it to stay in the nappy :(. Penis up, penis down, flared nappy legs, leave the nappy legs as they are, the urine seems to just come straight out and soak whatever he is sitting on at the time. So far that includes me, my wife, our bed, our couch, his pram and his sling.

Dear god what do we do??? We are planning on continuing to use the disposable nappies at least until his umbilical cord drops off, are different brands really significantly different shapes or are we doing something wrong?

edit: for those concerned, the nappy seems to escape almost entirely unscathed from this somehow!

Phooney fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Feb 24, 2011

Crabsurd
Dec 19, 2006
Phooney, different nappy brands definitely do make a difference. If it's coming out the leg holes, perhaps his thighs are too small for that particular brand of nappy? Unfortunately it's a bit of a trial and error process finding one that works well. I would get a small pack of a different brand and see if it makes any difference. And it's not necessarily a case of most expensive being the best. The most expensive brand of disposable nappies here were completely useless on Chloe; the best ones for her were probably the cheapest ones around.

Phooney
Dec 24, 2008

Miss Shell posted:

Phooney, different nappy brands definitely do make a difference. If it's coming out the leg holes, perhaps his thighs are too small for that particular brand of nappy? Unfortunately it's a bit of a trial and error process finding one that works well. I would get a small pack of a different brand and see if it makes any difference. And it's not necessarily a case of most expensive being the best. The most expensive brand of disposable nappies here were completely useless on Chloe; the best ones for her were probably the cheapest ones around.

I think you posted before that you're in NZ? I am too! Which brands worked best for you?

Crabsurd
Dec 19, 2006
Oh hello, NZ buddy! We've mainly switched to cloth, but we still use disposables at night. When she was in disposables full time, I much preferred Treasures over Huggies, if we're looking at the higher end of the price range. For some reason, we ALWAYS got leaks with Huggies (but then I know people who swear by them). I did not like BabyLove in the newborn size - she leaked every time she was in them. Which ones are you using now?

Signature Range worked just fine when she was little, but when she got a little bigger they fit weirdly (small leg holes or something?). Now we just use Woolworths Homebrand (they are very cheap, but I'm not sure if they come in newborn sizes) for night time. They're not flash, but we rarely get leaks.

Chloe is and has always been on the 50th percentile for height and weight, so completely average, if that makes any difference. Each brand has a slightly different fit, so it might take some experimentation to get one that fits well with your baby's proportions.

I'm sure you'll get there! There aren't THAT many brands to go through. ;)

Phooney
Dec 24, 2008
Thanks for that. I believe the ones we have are huggies, we got a voucher for a 108 pack, plus I think it was huggies that were being used at the maternity unit, we grabbed a few before we left.

We have quite a few samples of different brands from going to baby shows and various baby related events during the pregnancy, so hopefully in there we find something that fits and works.

Aagar
Mar 30, 2006

E/N Gestapo
I am talking to a mod right now about getting you probated/banned/gassed

Miss Shell posted:

Oh hello, NZ buddy! We've mainly switched to cloth, but we still use disposables at night. When she was in disposables full time, I much preferred Treasures over Huggies, if we're looking at the higher end of the price range. For some reason, we ALWAYS got leaks with Huggies (but then I know people who swear by them). I did not like BabyLove in the newborn size - she leaked every time she was in them. Which ones are you using now?

That's funny - we had a lot of trouble with Huggies as well (and they were the ones we pinched from the hospital on the way out). For a while we had Aidan in Huggies (we had so many) and Liam in Pampers because Liam leaked every single time. Two weeks ago, going to size 2, they both leaked in the Huggies, so now they both have Pampers. Hopefully when they get a bit bigger the Huggies will fit (because we have two diaper cakes and a box of size-2 Huggies).

So yeah, like Miss Shell said just experiment - you'll find one pretty quick that will work. And then it will stop working, and the experiment begins again. ;)

Phooney
Dec 24, 2008

Aagar posted:

That's funny - we had a lot of trouble with Huggies as well (and they were the ones we pinched from the hospital on the way out). For a while we had Aidan in Huggies (we had so many) and Liam in Pampers because Liam leaked every single time. Two weeks ago, going to size 2, they both leaked in the Huggies, so now they both have Pampers. Hopefully when they get a bit bigger the Huggies will fit (because we have two diaper cakes and a box of size-2 Huggies).

So yeah, like Miss Shell said just experiment - you'll find one pretty quick that will work. And then it will stop working, and the experiment begins again. ;)

It's like evolution... you adapt to suit your environment perfectly, then the environment changes! :argh:

chknflvrdramen
Sep 11, 2007

Phooney posted:

It's like evolution... you adapt to suit your environment perfectly, then the environment changes! :argh:

Kids really are like this. As soon as you figure out the program, they change things up on you. I think we've been through 4 different brands of diapers over G's life for various different reasons.

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Question for Ontario/Canada folks:

I was told yesterday (by my mom lol) that I'm not to smoke any dope after the baby is born until the 'community nurse' pops by for a surprise check to make sure everything is cool and we aren't awful parents. Is this true, i.e. do they really just come by unannounced and check you out?

Pluto
Apr 18, 2006

Weak.
Smoking isn't good for you or the baby.

That's why you should switch directly to injections.

Chandrika
Aug 23, 2007

SAKU loving KOIVU posted:

I was told yesterday (by my mom lol) that I'm not to smoke any dope after the baby is born until the 'community nurse' pops by for a surprise check to make sure everything is cool and we aren't awful parents. Is this true, i.e. do they really just come by unannounced and check you out?

I'm from Ontario, but in BC now, and those visits only happen if you give birth in the hospital, and you confirm that you want one. If you have a midwife and/or a homebirth, you make follow-up appointments with the midwife, at your schedule. I'm not necessarily suggesting that smoking dope with a new baby is a good idea, but I think that you don't have anything to worry about. It's your door, too, you don't have to answer it.

Lealoo
Nov 29, 2005

I'm in the states, but this is kind of related. I had a friend that admitted to the delivery nurse that she smoked weed a couple times while she was pregnant, and ended up being investigated by CPS for a few months.

It kind of sucked because she used to smoke a lot of weed, and as soon as she found out she was pregnant she stopped, which was really hard for her. She slipped up just a couple times when she was really stressed out and took just a couple puffs. When the nurse asked her, she wasn't expecting it and just told the truth, then spent the next couple months terrified that they were going to take her baby away.

I had no idea they could do that.

Aagar
Mar 30, 2006

E/N Gestapo

SAKU loving KOIVU posted:

Mississauga goon:

After the hospital (Credit Valley) birth we just got a call from the public nurse in the area asking if we were alright and if they should send someone to check up on us. We declined.

I asked my wife and neither of us can remember anyone telling us that someone would come to the house unannounced.

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

Aagar posted:

How funny, my Liam can only wear Huggies or Fisher Price, Pampers are like not bothering to put diapers on him at all. He just pees straight out the leg.

untitled
Jun 4, 2004

Feet!!! Not that I'm into that sort of thing....

Lealoo posted:

I'm in the states, but this is kind of related. I had a friend that admitted to the delivery nurse that she smoked weed a couple times while she was pregnant, and ended up being investigated by CPS for a few months.

This exact same thing happened to a friend of mine. Totally freaked me out. I live in the states too.

political pseudoscience
Aug 8, 2006

Lealoo posted:

A friend of mine's niece had baby very prematurely (about 24 weeks) and it was clear that the baby was not going to make it for long even on life support. The baby tested positive for marijuana and CPS descended full force on the mother. I get that what she did was not smart, but you think they could lay off her because her baby was literally dying.

re: diapers

We started on Pampers because that's what they had at the hospital and we took all that we could grab from the bassinet there. We eventually switched to Huggies supreme at around size 2 because the Pampers were having blow out issues and Huggies always has coupons. Now we're onto Luvs because the poop isn't all crazy liquid explosive so the cheap diapers can contain everything just as well.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Our home visit was scheduled. They called two weeks in advance to confirm if the day/time was OK.
She checked Bug's weight and surveyed us about how she was doing, if we had enough support, signs of PPD and gave us information about vaccination schedules.

I know some people (especially in North America) are furious about privacy, but turning down the home visit around here (Japan) would seem suspicious.

EDIT: How long did your post-partum hair loss last? Bug's 4 months old now and I'm still collecting 2 giant hairballs everytime I shower :ohdear:

peanut fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Feb 25, 2011

Aagar
Mar 30, 2006

E/N Gestapo

peanut posted:

I know some people (especially in North America) are furious about privacy, but turning down the home visit around here (Japan) would seem suspicious.

Not to grossly generalize Canadians, but we're a pretty unassuming bunch who don't like to put people out if we don't have to. We commonly use "sorry" as a replacement for "hello." So on the day the nurse called everything was fine and we were just like, "don't bother, everything's under control." If she'd waited a day to call we would have probably begged her to come over (at the time we were on a solid good day/bad day rotation).

In retrospect we should have probably accepted - couldn't have hurt.

political pseudoscience
Aug 8, 2006

peanut posted:

EDIT: How long did your post-partum hair loss last? Bug's 4 months old now and I'm still collecting 2 giant hairballs everytime I shower :ohdear:

I think mine went to about 4 months or so? Lack of sleep makes it all a blur. The amount of hair that would fall off me did freak me out, I felt like Gretel leaving a trail of long blonde hair to find my way.

starshine
Nov 26, 2007

Aagar posted:

In retrospect we should have probably accepted - couldn't have hurt.

My midwife asked me if I wanted a home visit from a public health nurse during my pregnancy, I said sure, she sent over a form and the nurse called to set up a day. She was actually really cool and helpful - I moved to this area at 6 weeks pregnant, don't really know anyone outside of my inlaws, and wanted to know about some community resources for families with young kids. She printed out a ton of stuff and brought it for me, and we sat in my living room for probably 1.5 hours talking about our birth plans, attachment parenting, breastfeeding, etc. Of course she had some of the usual SIDS-awareness and benefits of breastfeeding pamphlets but she really let me ask my questions and direct the conversation. YMMV, of course, but the free visit from the nurse was really kind of fun and totally worth the time for us. So, if any Canadians are on the fence about it, my experience was really good.

We'll have 6 weeks of postpartum support from the midwife and probably have an option for another PH nurse visit - not sure if we'll be taking advantage of that or not, I guess it depends on whether we are feeling good on our own or could use another person to bounce ideas off of.

Edit: Duh, I had a question. Has anyone dealt with crazy babby hiccups during pregnancy? I'm 32 weeks today and baby has gotten the hiccups at least once a day for the past 4 days. I felt them from time to time previously, but it's a little weird to get used to. Probably nothing to be concerned about, right?

starshine fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Feb 25, 2011

Crabsurd
Dec 19, 2006

peanut posted:

Mine's still going strong at more than six months post-partum. I should be bald by now, but I have a lot of hair.

chknflvrdramen
Sep 11, 2007
Mine lasted until 10 months and my hairdresser freaked out. She told me I didn't have much left to lose up top and that I should call the doctor. I'd been kinda worried anyways, so I made the call. Turns out I was anemic.

Revenant77
Aug 28, 2004

Not so sweet

starshine posted:

Has anyone dealt with crazy babby hiccups during pregnancy? I'm 32 weeks today and baby has gotten the hiccups at least once a day for the past 4 days. I felt them from time to time previously, but it's a little weird to get used to. Probably nothing to be concerned about, right?

Nope, perfectly normal. Natalie would get the hiccups multiple times a day the last couple of weeks I was pregnant. She is almost 5 weeks old and still gets them a couple of times a day. In fact, she's hiccuping in her swing as I type this. It freaked me out during the first couple of weeks because they seemed to be constant but the doctor reassured me that it's just due to an immature diaphragm (normal) and they would go away. And so far she's gets them a lot less frequently.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog
Hiccups are perfectly normal.

While I was pregnant, my kid would get the hiccups around the same time each day. It was kind of freaky. I figured it was probably when he would wake up and gulp down lots of amniotic fluid. I could see his body bumping against my belly with each hiccup, so that was awesome.

During the first few weeks after his birth, the kid would get the hiccups while crying for food, and get frustrated when he wasn't able to nurse while hiccuping. Now, he just gets really calm when it happens, almost like he enjoys it.

Crabsurd
Dec 19, 2006
Chloe hiccuped soooooo much when I was pregnant. It was obviously visible, and I pointed it out to my replacement at work, who thought it was gross. She also hiccuped a lot (multiple times a day sometimes) as a newborn and really hated it, but hardly gets them any more (six months old).

Baby hiccups are so cute. :3:

Phooney
Dec 24, 2008
Jake is a little hiccups machine (among other things) at 4 and a half days old now, but also during the last couple weeks of the pregnancy. Fortunately they don't seem to bother him at all.

Of all the other sample nappies we've tried, only huggies has leaked. Our midwife came over today and said that she gets people complaining about huggies the most as well. Sadly we have that 108 pack to get through...

Also, we were expecting him to have lost weight from birth, but he's gone from 3.19kg at birth to 3.22kg now, he's a good little feeder!

Alek
Apr 11, 2007
my hovercraft is full of eels
So after lurking on and off for what feels like a billion years (BubbleWishes drama, etc...), I finally get to hang out with the goon moms! :dance:

I'm 15 weeks now, the belly is beginning to be noticable for outsiders, the husband is slowly starting to be a little less freaked out, the cat is behaving weird around me and I swear I will explode if we don't find out the gender soon so I can go buy stuff.

I hope to be able to actually contribute soon and wanted to thank you all for the countless hours of entertainment that the parenting thread and it's dozen or so past iterations have provided me with, you guys are hilarious, have beautiful kids and make one want kids despite being completely honest about issues - I know the girls from the other thread lurk here anyway and will see this ;-)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlistairCookie
Apr 1, 2010

I am a Dinosaur
Both Midget and Baby Wham got hiccups constantly. Minimum of once a day. Now that I'm 39 weeks, Baby Wham's hiccups are downright violent. My whole belly shakes.

Hair falling out...Last time it didn't start until about 4 months post-partum. It only lasted a few weeks though; I lost all I was going to lose in one fell swoop. My temples looked really threadbare for a while--and then growing back short, wispy baby hair. :( Not looking forward to this again. I have very thick hair, so I was shocked to actually see my scalp through my hair for the first time.

So I had an impromptu ultrasound yesterday. Apparently my fundal (is that right?) measurement took a bit of a jump between last week and yesterday and the NP just wanted to take a look around and see. Fluid level is fine, baby is estimated to be a bit on the large side, but totally fine. She said 9 lbs, give or take a bit. Midget was 8.5, so I'm not totally blown out of the water by this or anything. Anyone else have their babies size estimated before birth? How accurate, or not, was it? I'm just curious.