Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
Well don't I feel silly now! As far as the eink nook goes I do know you can change font and font size, and I'm pretty sure line distance can change too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

thedouche posted:

Also: is there any way to tweak text size/line spacing ala Kindle on the Nook (my wife uses a e-ink Nook)?
Text size is easy to change, unfortunately you can't do anything about the line spacing.

It's under Preferences > Text Size when you have a book open:

The next two options up are "Extra large" and "Extra extra large"... :downs:

edit: replaced with better pictures with natural lighting

RightClickSaveAs fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Feb 24, 2011

tudabee
Jan 1, 2007

How many times must I remind you to WASH YOUR HANDS?

I cleaned up and resized some images from Haeckel's Kunstformen der Natur and was pretty happy with how they turned out, so I decided to share. I've cycled through most of them on my Kindle to make sure they look right, but if anyone notices something funky I can always fix it.

Download link

Examples:

Click here for the full 600x800 image.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
Can you buy Kindles from stores in the US? If so is it is it the sort of thing some tax/duty-free stores at airports might have?

My folk are visiting the UK at the moment, but are popping over to New York for a few days and if I could get it at US prices + duty free that would be a pretty good deal, but I have no idea if they're available anywhere other than online.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Gravy Jones posted:

Can you buy Kindles from stores in the US? If so is it is it the sort of thing some tax/duty-free stores at airports might have?
They sell them at (at least) Best Buy, Staples, and Target. Not sure about the duty.

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

Gravy Jones posted:

My folk are visiting the UK at the moment, but are popping over to New York for a few days and if I could get it at US prices + duty free that would be a pretty good deal, but I have no idea if they're available anywhere other than online.

They have them at Target and Staples (and possibly other office supply stores).

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

if you start with drums, you have to end with dynamite.

Gravy Jones posted:

It's not super likely they'll be sold in airports. Maybe the Best Buy vending machines have them.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Kilometers Davis posted:

How do you actually activate the page numbers post-update?

e: kindlechat

Can anyone answer this? I think I've looked through every single menu and it's not there.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

Kilometers Davis posted:

Can anyone answer this? I think I've looked through every single menu and it's not there.

The answers people have already given are:

1) Once the update has been downloaded you need to put the Kindle to sleep to update it, so you might not have been updated to 3.1 yet.

2) Not every book in the Kindle store has page numbers yet. It's up to the publisher to update them, I believe.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

Gravy Jones posted:

Given it's only certain retailers selling them in the US, I doubt they'd be in a duty-free store. I was going to suggest having Amazon ship to the hotel since Amazon doesn't generally have to collect sales tax if they don't have a legal presence in the state, but New York is one of the states that Amazon does have to collect tax for.

If they bought it in the city, there's a sales tax in NYC of 8.875%. You wouldn't be paying anything other than sales tax for purchases in the US (no VAT or the like). If they're visiting places other than NYC you can look here to find the cheapest place. Delaware's a wonderful place to visit!

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

maxnmona posted:

It's not super likely they'll be sold in airports. Maybe the Best Buy vending machines have them.

They'd definitely be a more suitable item for an airport vending machine than a drat iPod.

It'd be a great marketing decision. You've got a sale every time somebody with a bit of money realizes they didn't bring anything to read and the bookstore only has 20 stacks of Vince Flynn novels and The Situation's bio.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Who is picky enough to not want to shop for books at the airport but goes to the airport with nothing to read?

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

withak posted:

Who is picky enough to not want to shop for books at the airport but goes to the airport with nothing to read?

People who have a layover and then get bumped to a flight four hours later than they were planning, or someone who scheduled a chauffeur or taxi service ahead of time and arrived at the airport to discover their flight was extremely delayed. I normally sleep on planes, but I'm way to paranoid to sleep in an airport and miss them switching gates or whatever.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
Thanks for the tips. They're just doing the tourist thing in Manhattan so probably aren't going to encounter them in the shops mentioned. I'll check if the exchange rate makes it worthwhile trying to get Amazon to deliver to the hotel.

I was all set to buy one but my Kindle money went to buying one for my Mother-in-law who just had back surgery and is stuck in bed for six weeks. It arrived today and she rang me almost in tears saying it was the best present anyone had bought her in her life and she loved it. Dawww.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

Gravy Jones posted:

Thanks for the tips. They're just doing the tourist thing in Manhattan so probably aren't going to encounter them in the shops mentioned. I'll check if the exchange rate makes it worthwhile trying to get Amazon to deliver to the hotel.

I was all set to buy one but my Kindle money went to buying one for my Mother-in-law who just had back surgery and is stuck in bed for six weeks. It arrived today and she rang me almost in tears saying it was the best present anyone had bought her in her life and she loved it. Dawww.

If they're doing the tourist thing in Manhattan, they're likely to walk by a bunch of stores selling it.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

maxnmona posted:

If they're doing the tourist thing in Manhattan, they're likely to walk by a bunch of stores selling it.

OK. I'll have a think about it then. At current exchange rates the wifi version is about $40 cheaper in the US than the UK. Not sure if that's worth the hassle and any potential adapter/warranty issues.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Gravy Jones posted:

OK. I'll have a think about it then. At current exchange rates the wifi version is about $40 cheaper in the US than the UK. Not sure if that's worth the hassle and any potential adapter/warranty issues.

Warranty issues might be a valid concern, but it charges over USB so that shouldn't be a problem.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need
OK, just bought a Nook Color last Thursday (and rooted on Friday, gently caress trying to convert gigs of .CBR/.CBZ using Calibre on my lovely underpowered laptop), and have a couple questions and observations.

First off, the previously-mentioned "starts flipping pages" issue: I've have that happening on occasion, but for the most part it seems to be related to the way I'm holding the new toy - it might be the bezel contacting the touchscreen. It seems to happen more when I'm one-handing it with my right hand, and put more pressure on the bezel with my thumb to keep my grip; if I ease off, it'll stop and I can curse and return to where I was previously reading.

However, bringing it under the covers (because it was ungodly cold a few times last weekend) would result in assorted touchscreen asspain - page-flipping and touchscreen unresponsiveness, mostly. I'm really thinking that was because the Nook was somewhat cooler, and my hot'n'steamy breath was condensing on the screen.

Special note: if copying files to the Nook via USB, make sure you've reset the screen timeout to a longer period (or disabled); I just had multiple file-transfer failures (and accompanying "device disappeared from system" errors) yesterday while shuffling MP3 albums. (Also, XP gagged and thought the transfer was still running even after completion; I had to kill explorer.exe to get the machine to shut down.)

Now for questions - would a stylus made for a capacitance screen work on the Nook Color? I have big stubby fingers, and zoom or no, trying to peck small links in the browser is not easy.

Next, the manual and everything says that the NC can't use a standard USB cable for computer connection. Is this correct? I'd like to keep a spare cable floating around in case I stupidly forget mine at work (Tuesday :argh:), but if I can save a few bucks by using a non-Official Branded Nook Color Data And Power Connectivity Enablement Solution, it'd be nice...

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Ask me about fixed-gear bikes (aka "fixies")
Has anyone had a problem with the nook's battery a few months after they got it? I seem to run it down with light reading after three or four days. Also airplane mode is on, I haven't been indexing a huge amount of books, and I haven't been listening to much music. light reading is like 45 minutes to an hour a day.

SeaGoatSupreme fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Feb 24, 2011

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Ygolonac posted:

Next, the manual and everything says that the NC can't use a standard USB cable for computer connection. Is this correct? I'd like to keep a spare cable floating around in case I stupidly forget mine at work (Tuesday :argh:), but if I can save a few bucks by using a non-Official Branded Nook Color Data And Power Connectivity Enablement Solution, it'd be nice...

My experience is that you can't use a standard USB cable to fast charge. Their special cable has actual extra wires in it and stuff to enable that. It will connect fine to the PC and come up as a USB device, and it will charge very very slowly off standard USB (like, overnight). I discovered this when my Nook cable stopped working :downs: Fortunately they replaced it for free.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

feedmegin posted:

My experience is that you can't use a standard USB cable to fast charge. Their special cable has actual extra wires in it and stuff to enable that. It will connect fine to the PC and come up as a USB device, and it will charge very very slowly off standard USB (like, overnight). I discovered this when my Nook cable stopped working :downs: Fortunately they replaced it for free.

This isn't true of the Kindle, is it? I just ordered a generic USB cable for use with my Kindle.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

feedmegin posted:

Is that possible? Isn't the voltage on a USB port fixed by the USB spec? I remember older 2.5in HDDs in external enclosures used to have to use a two-headed USB cable that got power from two ports at once.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

withak posted:

Is that possible? Isn't the voltage on a USB port fixed by the USB spec? I remember older 2.5in HDDs in external enclosures used to have to use a two-headed USB cable that got power from two ports at once.

Well, USB voltage is 5V always, I think you mean the current; but regardless, I guess with the device in sleep mode (i.e. press the power button, screen goes off) it draws little enough power that it can use the excess to recharge.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

withak posted:

If I'm remembering correctly, fast charge is 'enabled' essentially via cutting one of the wires in the USB cable. Normally, this is done in the charger so that any old USB cable can be used. If it's not, then you need a special USB cable (or can open a regular one up and cut the wire yourself).

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need
I'm not particularly worried about charging it without the fancy charger, but I usually go home at lunchtime, and it'd be nice to transfer more data to the new toy on occasion.

So far, this thing takes forever to use up a charge - between autosleep, and (at work) not using any wifi, I've yet to get down to "must recharge" levels. (Thought I was there the other day, but I was looking at onboard memory available, not the juice. :downs:)

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

SeaGoatSupreme posted:

Has anyone had a problem with the nook's battery a few months after they got it? I seem to run it down with light reading after three or four days. Also airplane mode is on, I haven't been indexing a huge amount of books, and I haven't been listening to much music. light reading is like 45 minutes to an hour a day.
You're saying it's draining completely after three or four days to the point where it won't wake back up? I still get about 10 days out of mine, but I have noticed the battery meter sometimes drops a little quicker than I thought it would.

If you're getting much less than that I'd imagine it's a bad battery. If you take it in to a store, they may be able to replace your battery for you, or if they don't want to do that then try to get a replacement on the unit. You should still be covered under the one year limited warranty (depending on how long you've had it).

And the last option is you could buy a replacement battery, they're easy to change out, although they're about $30.

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Ask me about fixed-gear bikes (aka "fixies")

RightClickSaveAs posted:

You're saying it's draining completely after three or four days to the point where it won't wake back up?

Yeah, and it's till covered by the warranty. I'll end up getting in touch with customer service sooner or later about it. It's not a big worry though since I'm still measuring battery life in days. Thanks for the confirmation that I've got a dud battery.

Ara
Oct 18, 2003

Centipeed posted:

This isn't true of the Kindle, is it? I just ordered a generic USB cable for use with my Kindle.

Well, how long does it take you to charge it? My Kindle goes from empty to full plugged into an outlet with the provided cable and adapter in about 2 hours.

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

Man I just spilled my drink over my Kindle 3. There's a small patch on the top left of the screen that's all hosed up. I've emailed Amazon, hope I can get it fixed or replaced. Maybe if I leave it for a while it'll dry out and be fine, right? :ohdear: :(

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

Megadyptes posted:

Man I just spilled my drink over my Kindle 3. There's a small patch on the top left of the screen that's all hosed up. I've emailed Amazon, hope I can get it fixed or replaced. Maybe if I leave it for a while it'll dry out and be fine, right? :ohdear: :(

That's the one thing I wish they'd work on, in my opinion the kindle's just far too fragile.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

LooseChanj posted:

That's the one thing I wish they'd work on, in my opinion the kindle's just far too fragile.

Name a mainstream electronic device that won't get hosed up if you spill a bunch of liquid on it.

thedouche
Mar 20, 2007
Greetings from thedouche

:dukedog:

Megadyptes posted:

does it affect the actual text?

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

maxnmona posted:

Name a mainstream electronic device that won't get hosed up if you spill a bunch of liquid on it.

Ereaders are in a bit of a unique category though, you can drop a book 3-4' onto concrete and not need to replace it. You can also spill cups of coffee on them and mostly just cause cosmetic damage. I'm not saying the thing has to stand up to a nuclear blast, but people might expect a little more durability than what the kindle delivers. A lot of laptops are built to withstand abuse as a matter of course that would send a kindle to the scrap bin.

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

thedouche posted:

does it affect the actual text?
Yeah, about an inch of the top line of text and half an inch of the second line is covered up by the screwed up parts. Also, the corrupted bit on the screen remains there when I completely power the Kindle down. :(

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

withak posted:

I don't have mine handy, but somebody should take a picture of the NC's "microusb" vs a standard microusb. The NC's is about half again as long as the standard -- if you try to plug it into your phone or etc. you're likely to break something if you're not careful.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

LooseChanj posted:

Ereaders are in a bit of a unique category though, you can drop a book 3-4' onto concrete and not need to replace it. You can also spill cups of coffee on them and mostly just cause cosmetic damage. I'm not saying the thing has to stand up to a nuclear blast, but people might expect a little more durability than what the kindle delivers. A lot of laptops are built to withstand abuse as a matter of course that would send a kindle to the scrap bin.

I don't know, my Kindle 1 got beat up a bit sitting in a backpack with heavy books and being dropped, having small amounts of liquid spilled on it and all that. What finally made it unusable was, I poo poo you not, having a sledgehammer fall on the top of it. And all that really did was ruin the top inch of the display.

But hey that's why they have such an awesome return/repair policy and why it's so easy to transfer your books to a new device, you know?

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'

maxnmona posted:

I once left my SNES next to an open window and it rained and it got all soaked, I let it dry for a day or two and it was fine after that hahah.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

El Hefe posted:

I once left my SNES next to an open window and it rained and it got all soaked, I let it dry for a day or two and it was fine after that hahah.

There is a big difference between that and a device getting wet while turned on.

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe

El Hefe posted:

I had a friend take a machete to his SNES and a golf cartridge, both still worked afterwards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

thedouche posted:

I'd be happy with the percentage centered in the very bottom of the screen like a page number without the bar. Perhaps a decimal option.

Also: is there any way to tweak text size/line spacing ala Kindle on the Nook (my wife uses a e-ink Nook)?

This is my biggest complaint with the nook... line spacing, margins, and base font size are all unadjustable without tweaking the epub file itself. I end up having to strip the DRM off books I've bought because of annoying margins and whatnot.