Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ozziegt
Jul 8, 2005

cool under pressure

Yeah, not repairable. If they really do this, that car will be written off more than the Elise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
I heard rumor a week or two ago about the next Fiat that's supposed to be sold here, maybe next year (B-class car, not a Chrysler). Has anybody heard more about what that might be?

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

Mr. Wiggles posted:

I heard rumor a week or two ago about the next Fiat that's supposed to be sold here, maybe next year (B-class car, not a Chrysler). Has anybody heard more about what that might be?

Its probably going to be a replacement for the Caliber. Might be a Fiat, might be an Alfa.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

redscare posted:

Its probably going to be a replacement for the Caliber. Might be a Fiat, might be an Alfa.

The Calibur replacement is chrysler-designed and will be the basis for an alfa "global" car. The lancia delta was supposed to make it's way over here at some point.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

This one was supposed to be a Fiat through and through, though. A NA spec Punto or something, maybe. Well, we'll have to wait and see I guess.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Muffinpox posted:

Whoever perfects an injection moldable carbon fiber will literally be making GBS threads money from how many business will be cramming money down their throat.

I know it's not like Honda was working on it for a Civic but I thought Lamborghini was doing that kind of thing on the Sesto Elemento?

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/album.php?aid=276115&id=7613480167

New lambo pics :D Hell yeah! Looks awesome.

Sorry about the jalopnik fb link, it doesn't seem to be on their site yet :)

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people

14 INCH DICK TURBO posted:

I know it's not like Honda was working on it for a Civic but I thought Lamborghini was doing that kind of thing on the Sesto Elemento?

That was a awful way to do carbon reinforced polymers. The major advantage to carbon fiber is its anisotropic properties. Its shape and weave can be tailored to the loads it needs to take. What Lamborghini did was just through mulched carbon threads into a mold and fill it with a polymer, Its specific strength is only slightly hire than a good fiber glass iirc. The only real advantage is you can say "LOOK AT ALL THIS CARBON FIBER" for marketing and the people who dont know materials will be all over it and how "innovative" it is.

Sadi fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Feb 24, 2011

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Saga posted:

Because...people who don't do this themselves pay someone else to do it. And if your car is a nightmare to work on, you get shafted. If FR is a failed concept in a hatch because the cabin space is slightly reduced, why is FF not a failed concept because the car becomes a bitch to work on? And therefore expensive and/or extremely time consuming for the owner.

The thinking is your carry stuff in the car far more than you have to work on it (or as is normal have work done on it). As for servicing costs well that simple isn't true in most cases - modern BMWs and Mercedes are still more expensive to get serviced than the vast majority of Japanese cars most of which a fwd or 4wd

Saga posted:

Really? Again, have you looked under the hood of a modern FWD car with the regulation transverse engine? Cabin space is maximised by having stupid-rear end packaging. Stuffing a transmission and two half shafts between the front wheels and then squeezing everything as tight as possible to generate that extra cabin space means stupid poo poo happens as soon as you have to try to reach anything.

If for example you own a Modus, prepare to remove the bumper or alternatively wheelarch trim or alternatively both in order to replace a dead bulb. On our Clio 182, which is at the sensible end of things, you still needed to be Oskar Schindler to get the job done. Timing belt is a five-hour (plus) job by the book. Dealers like to go for £1,000.

Lets leave weird French cars out of this for a moment as they've alwasy been a terror to work on, even going back to my mates ancient Renault 21 which has pelnty of space under the bonnet but all the important stuff was still magically inaccessible. I have an FR Nissan Skyline, a Ford Fiesta and a Suzuki Swift sitting in the driveway. There certainly isn't any more room for changing bulbs, belts or anything else under the Skylines bonnet, I doubt its any easier than a front wheel drive Maxima with the same engine.

Really the problem isn't drivetrain layout its modern packaging cramming everything in tight regardless of drivetrain layout.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Muffinpox posted:

Whoever perfects an injection moldable carbon fiber will literally be making GBS threads money from how many business will be cramming money down their throat.

It's not that far off. Toyota has that big loom they use to make LF-A's, McLaren can churn out whole tubs for the MP4-12C in 4hrs and Lambo/Calloway developed that injection-mouldable Forged Composite stuff to make that <1000kg Gallardo.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Muffinpox posted:

Carbon fiber weave is pretty expensive per yard and aircraft manufacturers use a ton which keeps prices up. The biggest cost with CF is the prep work usually though. With metal you can just press it but CF needs to be laid out, impregananted, and baked for it to do it's poo poo. Whoever perfects an injection moldable carbon fiber will literally be making GBS threads money from how many business will be cramming money down their throat.

http://www.autolinedetroit.tv/journal/?p=14233#more-14233

Towards the end of the video the guy shows a stamped CF part.

Hermansen
Sep 2, 2006

Breaker, Breaker,
High Ball, Ten Ten,
Till We Do It Again,
Captain Slow.
There's a brand new Aston. The Aston Martin Virage.
Seen a DB9? DBS? DB7, Vantage or Vanquish? Well guess what, the new one looks just like them!

6 liter V12 putting out 497 hp and 570 newtonmeters of torque.
Will also be available as a Volante (Convertible).

Looks great, like all Astons, but I really didn't care for the color on these pics.

Edit: And people say Porsche designers are lazy...

Hermansen fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Feb 24, 2011

heat
Sep 4, 2003

The Mad Monk
Speaking of the DB9 I saw a DB9 Volante last summer and followed the guy a few lights so I could give him the thumbs up. Can't be too many of those in the states (like, a few dozen at most?)

heat fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Feb 25, 2011

Hermansen
Sep 2, 2006

Breaker, Breaker,
High Ball, Ten Ten,
Till We Do It Again,
Captain Slow.
Aston Martin sold almost 1200 cars last year in Britain alone, so I'm thinking your numbers are a bit off..

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

heat posted:

Speaking of the DB9 I saw a DB9 Volante last summer and followed the guy a few lights so I could give him the thumbs up. Can't be too many of those in the states (like, a few dozen at most?)

Where was it and what color? The president of the company I work for owns a black one. Put it in a ditch last winter with an AM service tech in the passenger seat. :laugh:

heat
Sep 4, 2003

The Mad Monk

Hermansen posted:

Aston Martin sold almost 1200 cars last year in Britain alone, so I'm thinking your numbers are a bit off..

They probably are, I was pretty much guessing. BUT you have to consider that they don't make very many Volantes to begin with and I would imagine the majority aren't left hand drive.

angryhampster posted:

Where was it and what color? The president of the company I work for owns a black one. Put it in a ditch last winter with an AM service tech in the passenger seat. :laugh:

Black, outside of Pittsburgh (Homestead)

ynotony
Apr 14, 2003

Yea...this is pretty much the smartest thing I have ever done.

heat posted:

They probably are, I was pretty much guessing. BUT you have to consider that they don't make very many Volantes to begin with and I would imagine the majority aren't left hand drive.

I seem to only see those now. It's as if rich people go to the dealer, pick a car they like, but decide they want the most expensive version - whatever that is. I think that's why I see more middle aged women in 911 Turbo Cabs, AMG SL's, M6 and M3 verts than I should. I saw one driving a 996 GT2 and step out in heels once.

heat
Sep 4, 2003

The Mad Monk

ynotony posted:

I seem to only see those now. It's as if rich people go to the dealer, pick a car they like, but decide they want the most expensive version - whatever that is.

I think this is exactly what they do which somewhat explains why Clarkson always has a list of hilariously expensive options to read from.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

âрø ÿþûþÑÂúø,
трø ÿþ трø ÿþûþÑÂúø
Just saw this pop up on my Facebook compliments of top gear and nearly fell off my chair laughing.

Conti tires are giving YOU, a chance of a lifetime!
Only 26 lucky spots available for the chance to drive an H3 for 1000 miles through some mountains and a dessert.
http://www.conti4x4trophy.co.uk/index.asp
Yea, I'll be all over that guys.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Not a new car per se, but something equally interesting and relevant. The Gadget Show just had a short feature on these guys:

http://www.haloipt.com/

def snow leppard
Sep 12, 2010

Preoptopus posted:

Just saw this pop up on my Facebook compliments of top gear and nearly fell off my chair laughing.

Conti tires are giving YOU, a chance of a lifetime!
Only 26 lucky spots available for the chance to drive an H3 for 1000 miles through some mountains and a dessert.
http://www.conti4x4trophy.co.uk/index.asp
Yea, I'll be all over that guys.

Driving a soccer mom SUV by day and staying in 4 star hotels by night. If that doesn't scream "adventure" I don't know what does.

eames
May 9, 2009

Audi A3 (more like RS3 if you ask me) Sedan concept with 408 HP from a 2.5L TFSI 5 cylinder, quattro and a 7 gear dual clutch transmission. 0-100 kmh in 4.1 seconds.

SwashedBuckles
Aug 10, 2007

Have at you!

eames posted:

Audi A3 (more like RS3 if you ask me) Sedan concept with 408 HP from a 2.5L TFSI 5 cylinder, quattro and a 7 gear dual clutch transmission. 0-100 kmh in 4.1 seconds.

I like it, but there's no way it comes to market with that much carbon fiber for anything close to a reasonable price.

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

Toyota is showing off their FT-86 II Concept. They claim it is a closer representation of the production model than the first FT-86 Concept they were showing off.

I think it looks great from the side shot in terms of proportion, but I'm not enjoying some of the styling cues. I'll take one with a liftback please. 2012 can't come soon enough.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

kimcicle posted:

Toyota is showing off their FT-86 II Concept. They claim it is a closer representation of the production model than the first FT-86 Concept they were showing off.

I think it looks great from the side shot in terms of proportion, but I'm not enjoying some of the styling cues. I'll take one with a liftback please. 2012 can't come soon enough.

It'll come out underpowered, overweight, and over priced. And probably with no head room.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

Coredump posted:

It'll come out underpowered, overweight, and over priced. And probably with no head room.

They'll keep the hosed up headlights, too, while streamlining the muscled rear wheel arch.

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

Coredump posted:

Probably. I'm still holding out hope that Subaru can steer Toyota into doing something right with the vehicle.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
The 4C concept is out. Nice. I'm just going to link to the AB gallery, there aren't any that the booth models aren't in the way of unfortunately.

http://www.autoblog.com/photos/alfa-romeo-4c-concept-geneva-2011/#3927814

Supposedly 200+ HP from the 1750cc four (which makes 270 in the top level Giulietta, so that seems like a reasonable point) and around 1800 lbs. Should be fun. Should also be expensive as it gets down to that weight via a lot of high tech materials.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

kimcicle posted:

Probably. I'm still holding out hope that Subaru can steer Toyota into doing something right with the vehicle.

I want more than anything for this car to come out and kick rear end. I really do. I've always wanted to see what the benefits of having a flat four in a FR configuration would do. Its just after all I've heard this car going through I'm not too hopeful on how it will come out. Please let me be wrong.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

The 4C concept is out. Nice. I'm just going to link to the AB gallery, there aren't any that the booth models aren't in the way of unfortunately.

http://www.autoblog.com/photos/alfa-romeo-4c-concept-geneva-2011/#3927814

Supposedly 200+ HP from the 1750cc four (which makes 270 in the top level Giulietta, so that seems like a reasonable point) and around 1800 lbs. Should be fun. Should also be expensive as it gets down to that weight via a lot of high tech materials.

It's like a 8C hosed an elise :stare:

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

A5H posted:

And hosed it good.

I like the end result.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Coredump posted:

I want more than anything for this car to come out and kick rear end. I really do. I've always wanted to see what the benefits of having a flat four in a FR configuration would do. Its just after all I've heard this car going through I'm not too hopeful on how it will come out. Please let me be wrong.

I estimate a bit more style than substance, since it's coming in as a Scion and is supposed to act as their halo car. Of course, that might be good since Scion is always trying to push superchargers on their tC buyers and what not.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

kimcicle posted:

I think it looks great from the side shot in terms of proportion, but I'm not enjoying some of the styling cues.
I think the shape is beautiful, my only compliant is how gaudy the bumpers are. They are over stylized and will get dated quickly, but I guess that's all part of being a scion. I personally like seeing the Toyota badge on it, and they would probably go with a more understated appearance and sensible wheels if they kept it that way.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
It looks a bit like a Tiburon to me from the side, and that front clip is pretty hideous in general.

Openknees
Feb 25, 2007
I'm cool with the front but the rear looks like it has exotropia.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
As long as the Subaru version comes in a liftback I would probably get that one, but I really like how this thing is turning out.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

A5H posted:

The front end looks like a Pontiac Solstice with an Alfa grille.

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

I don't think Ive ever been so excited at the prospect of being disappointed in my life.
I cant wait to see how terrible the FT-86 turns out. Everyone saying underpowered, overweight is going to be spot on.

For some reason I have a shred of hope for the Subaru version. Maybe they wont screw that version up near as bad.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I don't think I'd be toooooo angry if the FT86 came in as an approximate GenCoupe competitor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

Has there been any case where badge engineered variants of the same vehicle had enough changes between the two to make one the generally accepted "better" vehicle?