Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Narmi
Feb 26, 2008

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Unrealistic or not, if the Saudis rise, that's pretty much the entire mid-east toppling point, isn't it?

Yeah, but they're being pretty smart about this (pumping money into the economy, driving down prices), so I doubt that's going to happen because of this.

If it does though, that'd be huge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
After Libya (which I would've said was impossible a few weeks ago), I'm not writing off anything, but I highly doubt we'll see a major rising in any of the Gulf States apart from the ongoing one in Bahrain. (No, despite being on the Arabian Peninsula, Yemen is not a Gulf State)

I will admit to being disappointed about the lack of a rising in Syria (which I would've personally thought far more unstable than Libya).

Chade Johnson
Oct 12, 2009

by Ozmaugh

Sivias posted:

It's generally decided that unrest in Saudi is unrealistic. Then again, no one thought Libya would see this type of revolution.

Bahrain/Iran is the next nations of concern with these revolutions as they are the next largest segments of stability in a very precarious region.

Iran won't revolt. In fact, Iran stands to gain a lot from the recent upheavals, certainly more than the US. The Green protesters have even less support than they did in 2009. It's time to engage with Iran, not engage in wishful thinking that the regime will fall.

http://www.foreignpolicy.com/articles/2011/02/23/obama_is_helping_iran

Narmi
Feb 26, 2008

Patter Song posted:

I will admit to being disappointed about the lack of a rising in Syria (which I would've personally thought far more unstable than Libya).

I remember hearing about some small protests that got quickly dispersed in Syria. I think it nerver really caught on because even though Syria is ruled by a dictator, most people view him as a good dictator, who share their views and concerns.

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone
Venezuela finaly said...something.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-12548239

quote:

On Monday, Venezuelan Foreign Minister Nicolas Maduro said he hoped the Libyan people would find "a way of solving their problems peacefully without the interference of imperialist states whose interests in the region had been affected".

Atleast their not doing what Nicaragua did.

DevNull
Apr 4, 2007

And sometimes is seen a strange spot in the sky
A human being that was given to fly

Chade Johnson posted:

Iran won't revolt. In fact, Iran stands to gain a lot from the recent upheavals, certainly more than the US. The Green protesters have even less support than they did in 2009. It's time to engage with Iran, not engage in wishful thinking that the regime will fall.

http://www.foreignpolicy.com/articles/2011/02/23/obama_is_helping_iran

I seem to remember you being one of the guys that was very pro-Israel and anti-Islamic/anti-Iran.

edit:
Oh you have a history of fear mongering over Iran

Chade Johnson posted:

Congrats protesters. They didn't protest for anything beyond outbursts against corruption and privation. Now there will be either a military dictatorship or Iranian satellite state. Either way the people of Egypt are screwed.

DevNull fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Feb 24, 2011

Settepotet
Jul 10, 2009

Spiky Ooze posted:

It's nice to see Benghazi is happy as hell right now, like Egypt was:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgP0Gro52c8

:allears:

I'll never get tired of happy protesters :unsmith:

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Nckdictator posted:

They are basically singling out the Americans. Which is bad since the US just said they were open to setting up no-fly zones in Libya.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.

Nckdictator posted:

They're no Peru.

torb main
Jul 28, 2004

SELL SELL SELL

Spiky Ooze posted:

Incredible

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

yea that video made my day

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

Spiky Ooze posted:

Absolutely amazing. You go Libyans.

breaklaw
May 12, 2008

Spiky Ooze posted:

That is one of the best things I've seen in my life. I don't know how our governments can ever go back to their old policies after seeing something like that. If they do, I'll probably start believing the America=Satan poo poo myself.

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009
One interesting point is whether there will be an attempt to grab up the Lockerbie bomber Ali al-Megrahi by one of the groups involved or whether he'll be found to have had an accident.

Sivias
Dec 12, 2006

I think we can just sit around and just talk about our feelings.
It's interesting how we feel when we see things like that. I like to think it's because it's how we too would feel if we were living in those oppressive conditions for that long.

That isn't fake pride paid for by government goons. That is true hope for the future.

Welcome to freedom, Libya.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
So, question. While I think most people are agreed that the Libyans won't restore the monarchy, do you think they'd at least let the Crown Prince return from exile (as a private citizen)?

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

Patter Song posted:

So, question. While I think most people are agreed that the Libyans won't restore the monarchy, do you think they'd at least let the Crown Prince return from exile (as a private citizen)?

Lets wait for them to string Gaddafi from a lamppost and then form some kind of new government first. In the interest of academic speculation, I'd say the new government would say yes if he so requested.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

MotoMind posted:

I'd like to think that someone somewhere in Libya will be playing Front 242 - Funkadafi to mark the momentous occasion of Gadhafi's fall from power.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jPsYAkKzjw

Dance of the leader!

It is sad that Gadhafi outlived his best tribute. An era ends at last.

This has been popping up in my playlist while on shuffle so often over the last few days that I take it as divine providence than mere coincidence.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Poke posted:

Last week a gallon of regular unleaded was $2.99 at the Shell gas station in front of my house. Now it's $3.30. What the gently caress? Is Libyan oil that important to the rest of the world?

What's interesting is showing how little slack there is in the market. I think Libya provides something like 2% to oil imported from abroad (in the US). But a little hint of trouble there, and boom, prices rise 30 cent. That just isn't sustainable.

DrLaserfalcon
Nov 7, 2010
More video today of protesters being murdered by the remaining army forces in Libya. Pretty graphic stuff...

http://www.frequency.com/video/libya-treating-injured-as-fighting/2864249

twit666
Nov 16, 2006

Soiled Meat

Spiky Ooze posted:

So that's what its like when a bunch of people take hallucinogens.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
I think that's the first and last time people will ever chant for CNN.

Lareous
Feb 19, 2008

Xandu posted:

I think that's the first and last time people will ever chant for CNN.

I'm pretty sure, somewhere, Ted Turner has a massive boner.

Warthog
Mar 8, 2004
Ferkelwämser extraordinaire
Again to the asset freeze: Gaddafi hated Switzerland as much as the Swiss hated him.

quote:

(rough translation)In 2008, Libya reduced its funds in Switzerland from 5.75 billion USD to 630 million USD - 89% of the libyan wealth gone

Not much to freeze left but at least it sounds good (and finally my country doesn't support the crazies)

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

Shageletic posted:

What's interesting is showing how little slack there is in the market. I think Libya provides something like 2% to oil imported from abroad (in the US). But a little hint of trouble there, and boom, prices rise 30 cent. That just isn't sustainable.

It has more to do with speculation than anything else really. Basically the price goes up because people think other people will think the price will go up and buy some making the price go up.

There's a really good image to display this phenomenon but I can't find it atm.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

quote:

The Maltese foreign ministry says Libya has now demanded that Malta return two the Libyan fighter jets that landed there after their pilots refused to bomb protesters and defected.
The Maltese reply should "yeah, come back to us in a week and we'll see."

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Spiky Ooze posted:

Holy poo poo, that's beautiful. I was going to say that Wedeman say that he felt like an Allied soldier entering a liberated European town was a bit of hyperbole, but, gently caress, he can actually say that.

Who is that guy in the fatigues and the boonie hat? A rebelling Libyan soldier or Wedeman's personal protection? He's seen giving the peace sign to the camera and carrying the anti-Qaddaffi Libyan flag, but, having not really seen what a Libyan soldier wears, I have no idea.

Ireland Sucks
May 16, 2004

Have the Maltese actually said what they are going to do with the planes?

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

Young Freud posted:

Holy poo poo, that's beautiful. I was going to say that Wedeman say that he felt like an Allied soldier entering a liberated European town was a bit of hyperbole, but, gently caress, he can actually say that.

Who is that guy in the fatigues and the boonie hat? A rebelling Libyan soldier or Wedeman's personal protection? He's seen giving the peace sign to the camera and carrying the anti-Qaddaffi Libyan flag, but, having not really seen what a Libyan soldier wears, I have no idea.

I think he was merely comparing the situations, not his particular role. Its an apt comparison.

And I think the guy in the hat is his security and he's merely showing his support for the people, which seems logical. He's too white to be Libyan.

MJB
Nov 22, 2003

"...by any means necessary."

Spiky Ooze posted:

I think my favorite part of this aside from the obvious mass joy was the jheri curl wig on the Gaddafi effigy.

Cpt.Sean Luc Picard
Nov 24, 2006
man why you even got to do a thing?
Word on the street is that Gaddafi might have been shot...

http://uk.reuters.com/article/2011/02/24/markets-energy-crude-idUKN2429413820110224

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Spiky Ooze posted:

I've never seen wheelchair crowd surfing before.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.

Warthog posted:

Again to the asset freeze: Gaddafi hated Switzerland as much as the Swiss hated him.

Not much to freeze left but at least it sounds good (and finally my country doesn't support the crazies)

Britain is doing the same thing.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/africaandindianocean/libya/8346701/Libya-Gaddafis-billions-to-be-seized-by-Britain.html posted:

The funds are expected to be seized within days. The Treasury is understood to have set up a unit to trace Col Gaddafi's assets in Britain, which are thought to include billions of dollars in bank accounts, commercial property and a £10 million mansion in London.

In total, the Libyan regime is said to have around £20 billion in liquid assets, mostly in London. These are expected to be frozen as part of an international effort to force the dictator from power. A Whitehall source said: "The first priority is to get British nationals out of Libya. But then we are ready to move in on Gaddafi's assets, the work is under way. This is definitely on the radar at the highest levels."

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

AJE is mentioning there might be some action from the UN on Friday, possible Chapter 7 resolution, likely meaning no-fly zone, blockade enforced sanctions. Don't hold ya breath though!

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.

AJE posted:

11:30pm: As per latest reports, the US government has asked its citizens to leave Libya immediately.

President Obama has signed legislation outlawing Libya. The bombing will begin in five minutes.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

I just want to get this straight since I've been at work all day...

So Qaddafi claims that Al Qaeda is behind the revolt by spiking Libyan coffee with acid and that Osama Bin Laden is receiving help from the United States?

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

Poke posted:

Last week a gallon of regular unleaded was $2.99 at the Shell gas station in front of my house. Now it's $3.30. What the gently caress? Is Libyan oil that important to the rest of the world?

Vladimir Putin posted:

As far as I know, Libya is a key supplier of sweet light crude mostly to European buyers. America gets most of its SLC from Nigeria and some other mish mash of African and South American sources. The key thing is that if things get too out of hand in Libya, European buyers may have to turn to other sources, i.e. Nigeria etc... and it drives up demand and prices for American buyers.

No, it's speculators.

e: let me elaborate. There are two components to the price of a barrel of oil. There is what you might sloppily call the primary price, which is something like a rough equilibrium between supply and demand at a healthy profit margin. Then there is the speculative price, which is a function of a futures contract placed by speculators, who are essentially trading agreements to pay what they believe the price of oil to be in the future. This fluctuates wildly as traders do.

Almost no single thing you read about actually affects the day to day supply of oil, at least with the immediacy it obtains at the price at the pump (even if the strait of Hormuz was closed entirely, oil shipped yesterday would still take some time to arrive at refineries, and then be refined, and be available). What affects day to day prices is huge, tremendous amounts of speculative trading on the stock market. Some economists have put as much as 60% of the cost of oil at the pump is actually just inflation based on these futures speculations, as opposed to a more "natural" price more closely related to supply/demand.

e2: more reading for a lay audience- http://money.howstuffworks.com/oil-speculation-raise-gas-price1.htm

quote:

By betting on the price outcome with only a single futures contract, a speculator has no effect on a market. It's simply a bet. But a speculator with the capital to purchase a sizeable number of futures derivatives at one price can actually sway the market. As energy researcher F. William Engdahl put it, "[s]peculators trade on rumor, not fact" [source: Engdahl]. A speculator purchasing vast futures at higher than the current market price can cause oil producers to horde their commodity in the hopes they'll be able to sell it later on at the future price. This drives prices up in reality -- both future and present prices -- due to the decreased amount of oil currently available on the market.

Investment firms that can influence the oil futures market stand to make a lot; oil companies that both produce the commodity and drive prices up of their product up through oil futures derivatives stand to make even more...Morgan Stanley, as a player in the physical market, controls an estimated 15 percent of the home-heating oil supply in New England. Goldman Sachs owns shares of companies that own pipelines and refineries.

Petey fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Feb 25, 2011

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

Crazy Ted posted:

So Qaddafi claims that Al Qaeda is behind the revolt by spiking Libyan coffee with acid and that Osama Bin Laden is receiving help from the United States?

Correct, but you forgot the involvement of separatists.

Ashmole
Oct 5, 2008

This wish was granted by Former DILF

Crazy Ted posted:

I just want to get this straight since I've been at work all day...

You forgot about Waco and Queen Elizabeth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
MORE INDISPUTABLE PROOF I AM BAD AT POSTING
---------------->

Pillowpants posted:

What's the end game in all of these Revolutions?

Can we expect anything other than another crazed Dictator to take power?

Of course not. Brown people are incapable of democracy.:rolleyes:

Uglycat fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Feb 25, 2011

• Locked thread