Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Daunte Vicknabb posted:

Ok, I thought about posting in the identify thread but I figure this is a good place to ask first.

I watched some Criterion DVD, certainly in B/W and I believe British, but not positive. At some point, the main character, a male, stops at either a farm or a pastors house or something in the middle of the night. The man at the house is an actor who was in basically nothing else except for, I believe, another random Criterion that I also watched. I now cannot think of what either of these two movies is, but if my random testimony leads to even a few guesses I can probably figure out my problems. It's not an Eclipse box movie.

Pastor/farmer/something man has a wife. I believe in the DVD book his character is even titled "Pastor/farmer/something man".

I think it might be The 39 Steps

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daunte Vicknabb
Feb 22, 2005

You are already dead

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

I think it might be The 39 Steps

Well played.

I cannot believe I couldn't make the connection, but I was fairly certain it was either a P&P film or a Hitchcock film. I suppose I probably could have made it easy on myself by just going through their respective Criterion options.

And now I see on IMDB that the reason I was thinking of Mr. John Laurie was precisely because of his part in two P&P joints.

E.G.G.S.
Apr 15, 2006

Criterion's facebook page just updated with:
To celebrate, when we hit 50,000 Facebook fans, we'll post a promo code for 50% off all in-stock DVDs and Blu-rays at Criterion.com, but get ready -- the code will only be valid for 50,000 seconds!

Looks like I'll be getting that America Lost and Found set finally :D

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
So for 13 hours and 53 minutes I will be ruing the fact that I have no money.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

Magic Hate Ball posted:

So for 13 hours and 53 minutes I will be ruing the fact that I have no money.
Yeaaaah gently caress. Now I'm wondering if I should pick up a shift tomorrow, I didn't have anything planned...

Fat Lou
Jan 21, 2008

Desert Heat? I thought it was Dessert Heat. No wonder it tastes so bad.

Seems the site went down from too much traffic. I hope they fix it soon.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
And the site is already getting smashed into pieces.

Aren't the normal prices on there for a Blu-Ray around $30? Guess it would be good if you buy multiple things.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

drat, I don't think there's anything I want to buy at the moment. Maybe I should quit pre-ordering everything and just wait for these opportunities. I might grab The Killers if they have it in stock.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I've only ordered directly once (when Trafic and Pierrot le Fou were going OOP). What's their shipping cost? I'm thinking of only getting Sweet Smell of Success.

The last B&N sale pretty much made my Blu collection caught up, then Amazon had the Von Sternberg silents for 50% off.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

If only Criterion (and a number of US online retailers actually) didn't charge a ridiculous $20 shipping fee to Canada!

edit: Although for a $32 item at 50% off it's still slightly cheaper since our dollar is worth more than yours, but I'm not quite willing to risk UPS brokerage fees.

Cacator fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Feb 25, 2011

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Alright, which one of you did this:

I forgot Army of Shadows was out on Blu...

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Cacator posted:

If only Criterion (and a number of US online retailers actually) didn't charge a ridiculous $20 shipping fee to Canada!

edit: Although for a $32 item at 50% off it's still slightly cheaper since our dollar is worth more than yours, but I'm not quite willing to risk UPS brokerage fees.

I'll be up in Canada in two weeks and could buy whatever it is for you if you like. Assuming the code ever actually comes.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

I'll be up in Canada in two weeks and could buy whatever it is for you if you like. Assuming the code ever actually comes.

A generous offer but I can wait till the next B&N sale... however many months away that might be :cry: (at the moment all I'm interested in is Sweet Smell of Success)

Aorist
Apr 25, 2006

Denham's does it!
Man, how are all these discounts financially feasible? They have to be making up a significant percentage of sales at this point. I can only afford one purchase at the moment, but I've narrowed it down to either Last Year at Marienbad, Europa, or the Kaurismäki Eclipse set. Goddammit, this is too hard.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

And the promo code is...
on Facebook

I'm close to pulling the trigger on the Brakhage set. I enjoyed the first volume on DVD, but do any of the Blu set owners have thoughts?

Egbert Souse fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Feb 25, 2011

Topper Harley
Jul 6, 2005
You have the whitest white part of the eyes I've ever seen. Do you floss?
It's taking every ounce of my willpower not to pull the trigger on Night of the Hunter.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Topper Harley posted:

It's taking every ounce of my willpower not to pull the trigger on Night of the Hunter.

Just go ahead and buy it. The DVD is only $20, the Blu is only $25 - with the coupon.

Also, the code is apparently working for pre-orders despite a warning coming up.

edit:

Egbert Souse fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Feb 25, 2011

No. 1 Space Babe
Jun 16, 2006

i feel good about liverpool fc

Aorist posted:

Man, how are all these discounts financially feasible? They have to be making up a significant percentage of sales at this point. I can only afford one purchase at the moment, but I've narrowed it down to either Last Year at Marienbad, Europa, or the Kaurismäki Eclipse set. Goddammit, this is too hard.

Kaurismaki for sure!!

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Egbert Souse posted:

I'm close to pulling the trigger on the Brakhage set. I enjoyed the first volume on DVD, but do any of the Blu set owners have thoughts?

Volume 2 is more of a mixed bag than Volume 1. There's stuff on there I wouldn't want to be without, but there's also stuff I'll never watch again. But it's worth owning the complete collection on Blu.

Space Cooter posted:

Kaurismaki for sure!!

Seconding this, although you should really grab Marienbad too.

No. 1 Space Babe
Jun 16, 2006

Man, I really wish I had a blu-ray player - I think 3/5 of the titles that I bought in this sale are on blu-ray, but... I am a dvd-only fool.

Jeff Wiiver
Jul 13, 2007
Hm, looking at M, Paths of Glory and Seven Samurai (blus of course). Only want to buy two though, so I'm kinda torn.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Egbert I debated on every single DVD you have there in checkout but wound up getting these four on Blu:

The Double Life of Veronique
El Norte
In the Realm of the Senses
For All Mankind

Haven't seen any of these but have wanted to for awhile. Had to jump on this. I'm particularly excited about For All Mankind and El Norte.

Aorist
Apr 25, 2006

Denham's does it!
Well, I decided to go for Marienbad, since that's been at the top of my Really Need to Own List for a while now. Kaurismaki would be a blind buy, having never seen any of his stuff, but being a Jarmusch fan and hearing nothing but good things around these parts, I know I'd have zero regrets. My birthday is next week, and the sale does last for another 12 hours...

And so the rationalization begins.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

i am not so sure posted:

I'm particularly excited about For All Mankind and El Norte.

As you should be!

I ended up getting nothing. I'll wait for the next BN sale to get Killers, right now there's nothing else I want. My collection is getting too large as it is.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Aorist posted:

Well, I decided to go for Marienbad, since that's been at the top of my Really Need to Own List for a while now. Kaurismaki would be a blind buy, having never seen any of his stuff, but being a Jarmusch fan and hearing nothing but good things around these parts, I know I'd have zero regrets. My birthday is next week, and the sale does last for another 12 hours...

And so the rationalization begins.

Marienbad is divisive but an intriguing watch to say the least. I found it satisfying but it's not a movie I'd feel like re-visiting anytime soon. Hope you dig it.

As for the Kaurismaki trilogy, I've only seen Match Factory Girl of the three and I loved it. If one of the other two was Man Without A Past I'd buy it but I can't blind-buy an expensive trilogy not having seen two of the films.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Egbert Souse posted:

Also, the code is apparently working for pre-orders despite a warning coming up.

Not anymore :smith:

- edit I'm kind of disappointed it isn't giving 50% off everything. The BBS boxset is only down to $62.47

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Feb 25, 2011

TheYellowFog
Oct 17, 2008

grain alcohol and rainwater
Do they really charge $20 shipping for Canada?

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Jeff Wiiver posted:

Hm, looking at M, Paths of Glory and Seven Samurai (blus of course). Only want to buy two though, so I'm kinda torn.

Yeah, that's a tough one. All three are magnificent releases.

i am not so sure posted:

Egbert I debated on every single DVD you have there in checkout but wound up getting these four on Blu:

El Norte
For All Mankind

Haven't seen any of these but have wanted to for awhile. Had to jump on this. I'm particularly excited about For All Mankind and El Norte.

I've wanted El Norte, but it's emotionally draining by the end. For All Mankind is a great demo of how Blu can handle graininess without looking mushy.

Shalkore
Oct 11, 2007

Welcome to 2012!
Oh dear God. I've spent too much but it's so worth it.

E.G.G.S.
Apr 15, 2006

TheYellowFog posted:

Do they really charge $20 shipping for Canada?

Yeah, I bit the bullet on that one though and got the America Lost and Found set for only 82 dollars (shipping included).

No. 1 Space Babe
Jun 16, 2006

Sporadic posted:

Not anymore :smith:

- edit I'm kind of disappointed it isn't giving 50% off everything. The BBS boxset is only down to $62.47

It's 50% off of the MSRP, not the website price - the prices listed on the website are already on sale so it wouldn't take off of that.

I picked up Che, Hunger, Wise Blood, Ratcatcher, Paths of Glory, Black Narcissus, Europa, and the Rossellini History Films Eclipse for the good price of $160! What a cool thing for Criterion to do. :)

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Space Cooter posted:

It's 50% off of the MSRP, not the website price - the prices listed on the website are already on sale so it wouldn't take off of that.

That makes sense. Thanks.

Still, I couldn't pass on 7 movies for $8.24 each.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.

Cacator posted:

I am in the same boat. One movie was going to be the same price as I would buy it in the store, whereas three of them would only be a little over $30. If the shipping were better, I probably would have capitalized on this offer. Instead, I will stick with going through the Criterions at my local library.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Crumb
Night of the Hunter
Vivre sa vie

Thank's Criterion!

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

The stairs lead down in both directions.

i am not so sure posted:

El Norte
For All Mankind

I haven't seen "The Double Life of Veronique", but I have seen the other three and I enjoyed them all. I'm certain that you will enjoy "El Norte" and "For All Mankind" ("El Norte" is, indeed, an emotionally draining picture, but in a very good way). I can't say for certain that you will enjoy "In the Realm of the Senses" seeing as how it's kind of an acquired taste, but I thought it was a particularly interesting film.

Anyway, for those of your who are curious...

* Merry Christmas Mr. Lawrence
* Red Desert
* The Red Shoes
* The 400 Blows

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I've never wished criterion.com shipped outside of the US/Canada more than right now. I hate you all :(

azechiel
Mar 16, 2009
Just Cronos (blu), Sweet Smell of Success (blu), and The Lady Vanishes (dvd) for me.

I would have got my Scenes From a Marriage that B&N still hasn't shipped (from the last sale), but it's currently on backorder, so it wasn't half off!

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Being a biology major, i feel like i missed an opportunity to pick up Science is Fiction: 23 Short Films by Jean Painleve. Is that worth picking up even somewhere down the road?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Kart Barfunkel posted:

Being a biology major, i feel like i missed an opportunity to pick up Science is Fiction: 23 Short Films by Jean Painleve. Is that worth picking up even somewhere down the road?

It's cool, but in all likelihood, you will watch it exactly one time, and never again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Fag Boy Jim posted:

It's cool, but in all likelihood, you will watch it exactly one time, and never again

I put it on all the time as a nice background thing to look up at, and I've watched it attentively maybe a half-dozen times (mostly the first disc though). If it seems like something you'll find absorbing, you probably will.