Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Science is Fiction is easily the most surprising Criterion I've picked up. Some shorts aren't as rewatchable, but some are a lot of fun. Apparently, it was a huge seller for schools and colleges. I do have an affinity for educational films, though.

edit: Article on Criterion's lack of animated releases:
http://blog.moviefone.com/2011/02/23/criterion-corner-animated-films/

I don't think any Ghibli will get into Criterion's hands considering Disney's treatment is quite good. Warner already did a Criterion-worthy The Iron Giant DVD. Given the libraries they have access to, the most realistic grabs would be Ralph Bakshi's films from MGM (Fritz the Cat, Heavy Traffic, and Coonskin) and Fantastic Planet. I've asked about the Max Fleischer library owned by Paramount (sublicensed to Lionsgate), but no answer.

Egbert Souse fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Feb 25, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.
IIRC, the only animated movie Criterion has ever released was "Akira" on laserdisc back in the early 90s. I'm actually surprised they've never shown an interest in "Fantastic Planet", given that Eureka in the UK has released it, and it's reputation as one of the few 'arthouse' animated movies.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Satoshi Kon's movies would be perfect Criterion fodder, though Paprika has a very good release from Sony Classics.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

The stairs lead down in both directions.

zenintrude posted:

Satoshi Kon's movies would be perfect Criterion fodder, though Paprika has a very good release from Sony Classics.

I agree. When I think of animated Japanese films worth of Criterion treatment I think Tokyo Godfathers. What a great movie that was. Also, I didn't know Criterion released Akira on LD back in the day. I haven't seen it in years, but I'd buy the gently caress out of it if they released it on BluRay. Fat chance of course, but that would be awesome.

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP
I'd like to see them release some Bill Plympton stuff. The man doesn't get enough love. Took like 6 years for Hair High to come to DVD.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

I don't know any animated movie more deserving of criterion treatment than The Triplets of Belleville.

Nothing even comes close.

azechiel
Mar 16, 2009

::Ubiquitous:: posted:

I don't know any animated movie more deserving of criterion treatment than The Triplets of Belleville.

Nothing even comes close.

The Illusionist was fantastic as well, and Criterion loves Tati anyhow, so I'm hoping.

(probably won't happen)

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Wow, my order shipped today. :aaa:

Robert Denby posted:

IIRC, the only animated movie Criterion has ever released was "Akira" on laserdisc back in the early 90s. I'm actually surprised they've never shown an interest in "Fantastic Planet", given that Eureka in the UK has released it, and it's reputation as one of the few 'arthouse' animated movies.

They probably have, but the rights were with Anchor Bay and then Facets. It's owned by Argos Films, so Criterion will probably get the rights once Facets' expires. They have a bunch of their films already.

I think the only other high profile features would be Song of the South (unlikely), Le Roi et L'oiseau (every continent has it except R1), Yellow Submarine, and maybe Twice Upon a Time if it reverted to Lucasfilm instead of Warner.

Sita Sings the Blues would be obvious, but they would have to deal with expensive music rights and the fact it's been available for free download for two years. I'd love a Blu edition even though the 1080p Archive.org file looks great.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.

Egbert Souse posted:

...maybe Twice Upon a Time if it reverted to Lucasfilm instead of Warner.

From what I've read, it's highly unlikely Twice will ever come to home video again. The directors have recently threatened each other with litigation, and the rights are most likely split between the two directors, Lucasfilm, and Warner.

TheYellowFog
Oct 17, 2008

grain alcohol and rainwater
I remember seeing an animated film on youtube about an old british couple in a bomb shelter during WW3. That seemed like it could be criterion's type of movie, I don't remember the title though.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

TheYellowFog posted:

I remember seeing an animated film on youtube about an old british couple in a bomb shelter during WW3. That seemed like it could be criterion's type of movie, I don't remember the title though.

When the Wind Blows. Yeah, that certainly seems like something Criterion would release.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
If I was to start collecting Criterions where would I start? Is there any point in buying DVD's anymore or should I just go straight for blu-ray?

Is there a version of the AK 100 in blu-ray?

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

bowmore posted:

Is there a version of the AK 100 in blu-ray?

Sadly, no. However, there are a few great Kurosawa films on BRD available from Criteiron such as Seven Samurai and Kagemusha.

I'm not certain where exactly you should start first though. I just don't know enough about your tastes to make a call on that. My first Criterion was Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas. Yeah, not the classiest choice, but it served as a stepping stone to the other films in the Criterion catalog and I've been grateful ever since. I still enjoy F&L actually, but I wouldn't recommend it as a first choice seeing as how they plan on re-releasing it on BRD later down the line.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Basically, go with what you like. Take a risk here and there if you like but there's something for just about everyone on the list. If there's a film you really want and it's only on DVD, just buy it, there's really no telling what's getting a Blu unless they've mentioned it somewhere.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
What's the deal with the eclipse series? Are they worth it?

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~

bowmore posted:

They're collections of films by a certain theme or director without any special features, save for an essay on the inside of the case.

And, yes, they're good ways to get your hands on stuff by good directors whose works apparently don't deserve a full release. The Lubitsch set is my favorite, but the Flamenco trilogy is pretty great too; everyone will have differing opinions.

azechiel
Mar 16, 2009
Eclipse series releases have fewer extras than the full on Criterion releases. What they intend to do with them is give you a overview of a director's lesser known works. So, yes, they're probably worth it if there's one for a director you like. Although, I actually don't have any. I should probably get on that.

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

bowmore posted:

I fell in love with a bunch of directors from Eclipse sets: Akerman, Shimizu, Makavejev. And the movies that come out under Eclipse, a lot of them have never even seen DVD releases, or even VHS in some cases. It's really fun to digest many films by one director in this way. Especially with someone like Akerman who has directed so many movies, the majority of which you can only see in museums if you're lucky.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Thanks for that guys, very helpful.

I think i'm going to pick up Naked as my first and then save up for the AK 100 set.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

bowmore posted:

Thanks for that guys, very helpful.

I think i'm going to pick up Naked as my first and then save up for the AK 100 set.

I've never seen that one. You'll have to let me know how it is. :)

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
The Makavejev Eclipse set is one of my favorite things Criterion has ever done. I love every movie in it, and while the lack of extras is sort of a bummer, I guess, getting three phenomenal movies for that price is great. Don't think of the Eclipse brand as an index of quality but of marketability-- would early Chantal Akerman documentaries sell well? Probably not. Do they stand up to much of the material in the main Criterion line? In my opinion, yeah.

Some of the best sets include:

-The Makavajev, which includes a really solid directorial debut ("Man Is Not A Bird"), a super-fun pseudo-doc ("Innocence Unprotected") and my favorite of all his films, "Love Affair."

-The Akerman set is at once a great intro to her work and a look at some of her more esoteric projects, and probably essential viewing to anybody who enjoyed Jeanne Dielman.

-The Lubitsch set is a ton of fun. With this one I can sort of see the "bargain bin" angle-- I probably wouldn't have paid a full $30 for most of these movies, but they make an excellent night in.

-Same deal with Nikkatsu Noir.

-Oshima's Outlaw Sixties is another collection of top-notch film-making that's a steal for the price. Most of the movies in this could have justified a full, you know, two-disc, thick booklet, capital C-Criterion release if Oshima had the brand power of Godard or whoever.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

I don't care if I'm the only one who thinks it, Je Tu Il Elle is Akerman's best movie.

The Sam Fuller set is another great Eclipse release, though I'm surprised The Steel Helmet didn't get a regular release from them.

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP
I noticed the Teshigahara 3-film set has a very similar looking spine to the Eclipse sets. Next to my Eclipse sets on the shelf, I sometimes forget it isn't one. Does anyone here know if there are other Criterion sets with spines that look like that, or is that the only one?

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Because no one asked me to, my rundown of the Eclipse series:

1: Early Bergman - own it
2: Docs of Louis Malle - Calcutta was okay, haven't seen the others yet
3: Late Ozu - Late Autumn is fantastic, others are fair to good... I could see myself buying it someday
4: Raymond Bernard - two terrific movies, but no compulsion to own them
5: Sam Fuller - haven't seen any yet... generally not a Fuller fan, but I still want to check them out
6: Saura - Still haven't gotten around to these. I like Saura, though.
7: Postwar Kurosawa - sold it last year after I realized The Idiot is the only one I really love, and even that one I couldn't imagine getting much play.
8: Lubitsch - Might buy this just for One Hour With You, even though I'm not crazy about the others.
9: William Klein - Rented Polly Maggoo, loved it, blind-bought the set. The other two were so meh I ended up selling it.
10: Silent Ozu - All fine, none great
11: Shepitko - two terrific movies, but no compulsion to own them
12: Kaurismaki - own it
13: Mizoguchi - own it
14: Rossellini History - haven't seen any, no desire to.
15: Shimizu - All really good films, but I don't feel like I need to have them.
16: Korda - Henry VIII is pretty good, haven't seen the others
17: Nikkatsu - own it
18: Makavejev - I've hated the Makavejev I've seen, so I skipped these
19: Akerman - Didn't like Je Tu Il Elle, but Rendez-vous D'Anna is very good, haven't seen the others yet
20: GB Shaw - Haven't seen any yet, but will eventually
21: Oshima - pretty solid, just not quite my thing.
22: Guitry - Story of a Cheat is good but overrated, haven't seen the others
23: First Films of Kurosawa - All pretty meh, for completists only
24: Allan King - It is starting to piss me off that neither Netflix nor the library has these.
25: Dearden - League of Gentlemen is okay, looking forward to the rest
26: Naruse - I like his talkies, very curious about the silents

codyclarke posted:

I noticed the Teshigahara 3-film set has a very similar looking spine to the Eclipse sets. Next to my Eclipse sets on the shelf, I sometimes forget it isn't one. Does anyone here know if there are other Criterion sets with spines that look like that, or is that the only one?

Spirit of the Beehive could be mistaken for an Eclipse set at a glance. I'm sure there's a couple others. I would think anything bigger than a single-disc with a white spine and simple font.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

FitFortDanga posted:

2: Docs of Louis Malle - Calcutta was okay, haven't seen the others yet

Watch Vive le Tour ASAP. It's fantastic. This is my favorite Eclipse set from what I've seen.

Aorist
Apr 25, 2006

Denham's does it!
I think I'm going to write a proposal (with graphs and charts) for the library, explaining why they need to buy the Allan King set. Maybe they'll do it for the novelty factor, if nothing else.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
I have the Allan King set, it's great. Dying At Grace is one of the most astounding films I think I've ever seen, though A Married Couple is still my favorite. I kind of regret buying it, though, because my library got it in like two weeks later.

No. 1 Space Babe
Jun 16, 2006

i feel good about liverpool fc

FitFortDanga posted:

14: Rossellini History - haven't seen any, no desire to.

Come on man you've got to at least check out Age of the Medici. It's so weird but so good.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

I just received Criterion editions of Robocop, Hard Boiled, and Dead Ringers for under $20 each "Like New" through Amazon, and the discs were spotless. I know used sellers are always about and can be risky, but I just wanted to share that some OOP Criterions have reasonable prices, in case anyone had written them off.

(I felt compelled to look up those movies after skipping the recent one-day sale because everything I knew I wanted was either a pre-order or OOP.)

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Space Fish posted:

I just received Criterion editions of Robocop, Hard Boiled, and Dead Ringers for under $20 each "Like New" through Amazon, and the discs were spotless. I know used sellers are always about and can be risky, but I just wanted to share that some OOP Criterions have reasonable prices, in case anyone had written them off.

(I felt compelled to look up those movies after skipping the recent one-day sale because everything I knew I wanted was either a pre-order or OOP.)

You know there's a ton of bootlegs floating around, right?

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

FitFortDanga posted:

You know there's a ton of bootlegs floating around, right?

This is true. I have more than a few OOP Criterions, but I don't seem to have been ripped off yet. Still, you have to be careful who you buy from online. Just because it's Amazon and not eBay doesn't mean the guy on the other end is taking you for a sucker.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

I'm on the fence about the legitimacy of this Robocopy...the seller has a 97% positive rating and distributes via Fulfillment through Amazon (meaning Prime shipping available), for what it's worth.

The DVD case is clearly a replacement, what with the "recyclable" symbol inside and resale sticker on the outside, but everything else appears legit, with inset type on the disc and the rear cover showing the correct ISBN and tech details. I think the definitive proof would be the serial number on the disc, which in my case is L810 7918 ROBOVER21 T81226-12 Z. Googling didn't turn up a definite answer; can any goons compare serials with mine?

The movie looks and sounds good by 1998 DVD standards, but I don't want to make any sort of habit out of bootlegging.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Space Fish posted:

I'm on the fence about the legitimacy of this Robocopy...the seller has a 97% positive rating and distributes via Fulfillment through Amazon (meaning Prime shipping available), for what it's worth.

The DVD case is clearly a replacement, what with the "recyclable" symbol inside and resale sticker on the outside, but everything else appears legit, with inset type on the disc and the rear cover showing the correct ISBN and tech details. I think the definitive proof would be the serial number on the disc, which in my case is L810 7918 ROBOVER21 T81226-12 Z. Googling didn't turn up a definite answer; can any goons compare serials with mine?

The movie looks and sounds good by 1998 DVD standards, but I don't want to make any sort of habit out of bootlegging.

You could read through this thread at cf.org. I did a quick scan and there was someone with an apparently legit Robocop that has the same serial.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Are there any plans for Criterion to release any more Abbas Kiarostami? Or to put Taste of Cherry on Blu-Ray?

NightConqueror
Oct 5, 2006
im in ur base killin ur mans
I'm pretty excited. I've been wanting to watch Berlin Alexanderplatz for a long time now, but I've never been willing to shell out $100+ for it. I just recently found a copy at my university's library that looks like it's never been watched. The Criterion case is beautiful too.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

NightConqueror posted:

I'm pretty excited. I've been wanting to watch Berlin Alexanderplatz for a long time now, but I've never been willing to shell out $100+ for it. I just recently found a copy at my university's library that looks like it's never been watched. The Criterion case is beautiful too.

I bought mine from a B&N back when they had a 50% off Criterion sale. I used a coupon with it and wound up paying less than $50 for it. :smug:

It's a great series. At over 15 hours in length it's a bit of an investment, but it pays off.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

On the FB page:

Bill Hader? Doogal coming to the Criterion Collection?

No. 1 Space Babe
Jun 16, 2006

i feel good about liverpool fc

FitFortDanga posted:

On the FB page:

Bill Hader? Doogal coming to the Criterion Collection?

Hahaha

I can only imagine that he's doing a top ten, why else would he be there?

MMF DOOM
Sep 3, 2007

i  am
the  god  of
hellfire

Space Cooter posted:

Hahaha

Criterion release of Forgetting Sarah Marshall :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~

Space Cooter posted:

Hahaha

I'd be all over an Adventureland or Hot Rod Criterion. Year One, not so much.