Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Ziploc posted:

While I hate that mine is cracked and discolored, I love the fact that I can unzip the plastic window and have awesome airflow without going completely topless.

Even when I had a plastic zip window, I never found a need/desire to do this. I don't live in a desert, so I never need to hide from 120 degree sun. I'm usually either all up or all down. The top basically just follows the windows up and down.

Edit: Which isn't to say that it's not a useful feature in some climates, it's just irrelevant to me. A glass window is about a kajillion times more useful and something I appreciate any time I drive with the top up.

Guinness fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Feb 24, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

Ziploc posted:

While I hate that mine is cracked and discolored, I love the fact that I can unzip the plastic window and have awesome airflow without going completely topless.
I will say, I do love doing this. Also:

Flesh Croissant
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
^--- This is the new hotness.

There is a group buy going on at miata.net if anyone wants in on it.

Also, i was under the impression that zippered glass windows exist. Confirm/deny?

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

mattdizzleZ28 posted:

Also, i was under the impression that zippered glass windows exist. Confirm/deny?

Confirm. But people caution against putting that extra weight on the zipper.

Sudden Infant Def Syndrome
Oct 2, 2004

The best part about zippered windows is how easy it is to get into the car when you lock your keys inside while camping!

Tactical Bonnet
Nov 5, 2005

You'd be distressed too if some pile of bones just told you your favorite hat was stupid.
Who goes camping in a miata?

edit: This isn't a gay joke I'm missing because I'm american, is it? I bet it is...

Oct 2, 2004

Tactical Bonnet posted:

Who goes camping in a miata?

edit: This isn't a gay joke I'm missing because I'm american, is it? I bet it is...

I have, and Ziploc has. I didn't take pics, but I strapped a hockey bag to my trunk lid and had double the regular storage. It was awesome.

Miatas are awesome camping vehicles, as long as it's an actual campground and not just hiking into a forest somewhere.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
The trunk has enough space for some clothes for two people and a two person tent plus odds and ends. Some stuff had to go in the passenger footwell/behind the seat though. Going camping for two people relying only on a Miata requires some ingenuity. It's very easy to go solo camping with a Miata though. I went straight from an AutoX to a campsite 2 hours away.

You do need to give up certain camping niceties like grills, BBQs, and your own wood though.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Ziploc posted:

You do need to give up certain camping niceties like grills, BBQs, and your own wood though.

That's not camping, anyway. That's just living out of your car near some trees.

I've fit two people and two ~70L packs in my Miata before: one in the trunk (barely), and one strapped to the parcel shelf with the top down. :v:

Guinness fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Feb 25, 2011

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003

Blaise posted:

Okay: Getting frustrated now. My '92 doesn't shift too well and I'm almost certain it's due to clutch drag (you can notice a small drop in revs when its in gear with the clutch in). I have a new slave cylinder, new master cylinder, whole system is bled, I even adjusted the pedal to engage way further out so I could push the clutch in 'further'. Same problem.

:argh:

Any ideas?

Anyone????

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Blaise posted:

Anyone????

If you pump it a bunch (like 10 times) before shifting into first, what happens?

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Sudden Infant Def Syndrome posted:

The best part about zippered windows is how easy it is to get into the car when you lock your keys inside while camping!

Sure, I'll bite - why would you lock the car with a zippered window installed...?

Oct 2, 2004

Geoj posted:

Sure, I'll bite - why would you lock the car with a zippered window installed...?

All I was saying is that I accidentally locked my keys in the car and we got into it by unzipping the back window and crawling through it.

First Time Caller
Nov 1, 2004

Got my '99 miata today. I love it but one complaint. The clutch feels massively long, travel wise. I'm 5'11" and to push it to the floor requires me to extend my leg all the way. I'm already close to the steering wheel :|

Packet Loss
Feb 12, 2004
PM me for SA Mart drama.

Ziploc posted:

The trunk has enough space for some clothes for two people and a two person tent plus odds and ends. Some stuff had to go in the passenger footwell/behind the seat though. Going camping for two people relying only on a Miata requires some ingenuity. It's very easy to go solo camping with a Miata though. I went straight from an AutoX to a campsite 2 hours away.

Or just pick a campsite that has grills and provides wood :)

Seriously though - I've gone camping with the Miata before. It's not that bad, you can put stuff behind the seats as well as long as you don't need the top down (or put the top down and the stuff on the top :))

The biggest issue is watching out for bad roads. The Miata has decent clearance (ask me about the time I passed a stuck SUV in bad snow with my 1990 + snow tires) but it's not bullet proof.

Speaking of which, I've never gotten the Miata stuck. But I have gotten my dad's F250 Diesel stuck in the snow *loving no weight in the back of the truck and poo poo tire*. Even my new one - 2004 MSM with stock tires - although it barely made it out of the garage.. I had to tow it to the shop only because the tires are really that bad in snow.

Anyways.. my 2 cents

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Packet Loss posted:

Or just pick a campsite that has grills and provides wood :)

That's what I was implying. ;)

Joe Mama
May 10, 2008

First Time Caller posted:

Got my '99 miata today. I love it but one complaint. The clutch feels massively long, travel wise. I'm 5'11" and to push it to the floor requires me to extend my leg all the way. I'm already close to the steering wheel :|

If the master is good, like mine, I agree that the travel is way too long. I was thinking of drilling a new hole in the pedal or getting a slightly larger master.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
You know that you can adjust the pedal, right?

streetlamp
May 7, 2007

Danny likes his party hat
He does not like his banana hat
Hi miata people, I'm a DSM guy which means my car is sitting in storage at my parents.

I started looking at a miata to mess around with here and found http://richmond.craigslist.org/cto/2224265968.html

I wasnt intending to get a turbo car but dont mind having one.
What kind of problems should I look for?
Assuming its a well taken care of car (which Im already worried about when I see a car with seemingly easy to fix problems for sale), how reliable is a turbo miata like this?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
You'd be basically picking up somebody's project. If you need reliable transportation or aren't a masochist , it's probably a bad idea.

streetlamp
May 7, 2007

I dont need reliable transportation (I havent had a reliable car in about 4 years now) and I am a masochist owning a heavily modded DSM and all but I am pretty over and done with dealing with those kind of problems that come up constantly.

I guess I just wanted someone to reaffirm my rational thoughts which were being trampled by OOO A MIATA

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE
2500 is a pretty good price for a car with a hard top. Make sure he gives you the hard top, it's worth ~800 by itself.

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

Tactical Bonnet
Nov 5, 2005

You'd be distressed too if some pile of bones just told you your favorite hat was stupid.
Rest of series please.

moloo
Oct 29, 2004

Douche Bag Extraordinaire

streetlamp posted:

Hi miata people, I'm a DSM guy which means my car is sitting in storage at my parents.

I started looking at a miata to mess around with here and found http://richmond.craigslist.org/cto/2224265968.html

I wasnt intending to get a turbo car but dont mind having one.
What kind of problems should I look for?
Assuming its a well taken care of car (which Im already worried about when I see a car with seemingly easy to fix problems for sale), how reliable is a turbo miata like this?

Not sure how many miles are on it, but thats a good deal. If you factor in the price of the hard top, even if the motor is bad you could swap in a fresh 1.8 for under a grand. (I picked up a longblock 1.8 for $700). Don't expect alot of power but it'll be loads of fun once running properly.

Phone posted:

You'd be basically picking up somebody's project. If you need reliable transportation or aren't a masochist , it's probably a bad idea.

You had to have missed "heavily modified DSM" :)

streetlamp
May 7, 2007

I think I am going to check it out on Friday and see whats going on with it. He says its only 85k miles and it doesnt come with the hard top which I really wanted. My biggest concern is the cars only "tuning" is the FMU which I would never do with a DSM but I see people say it can be okay on a miata with only ~5psi. Also worried about this short nose stuff and the rear end that I am still reading about. Started reading the miataturbo.net forums until I realized it seems to be full of mouth breathers.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
If you think MT is bad, check out miata.net or clubroadster.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002

streetlamp posted:

I think I am going to check it out on Friday and see whats going on with it. He says its only 85k miles and it doesnt come with the hard top which I really wanted. My biggest concern is the cars only "tuning" is the FMU which I would never do with a DSM but I see people say it can be okay on a miata with only ~5psi. Also worried about this short nose stuff and the rear end that I am still reading about. Started reading the miataturbo.net forums until I realized it seems to be full of mouth breathers.

MT is likely the best source of Miata motor info on the internet.

If you're worried about the fueling do a piggyback Megasquirt setup.

Joe Mama
May 10, 2008

Phone posted:

You know that you can adjust the pedal, right?

Freeplay and height, yes. Throw, no.

Throw is the thorn in my thorax.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Looks like I'm staying in the Miata family to an extent after all; selling my '99 to my mother in law in trade for her Camry (which I'm going to sell as soon as I fix the brakes on it) and whatever cash it takes to bring the total up after selling the Toyota.

She's been driving it for two weeks and loves it. Like her Opel GT she had back in the day, except not falling apart, not rusting, and not slow.

streetlamp
May 7, 2007

streetlamp posted:

Welp think I'm going to own this thing tomorrow.

Its by far the lowest vehicle I have ever driven, I think I could step over it if it wasnt as wide. The pictures hide a lot of cosmetic issues but I was surprised at how well it drove and couldnt find any mechanical flaws outside of what he listed and a broken exhaust hanger. It stutters going into boost but I hope a O2 clamp will fix that.

velocityJE
Jul 11, 2001

~ LOVE FOREVER ~
I ran over a curb last night and both my airbags popped, wtf I had just taken off from a stoplight and couldn't have been going over 20. It's a '99 Sport, you think they'll total it? I hear horror stories about airbag replacement pricing. No body damage whatsoever.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

velocityJE posted:

I ran over a curb last night and both my airbags popped, wtf I had just taken off from a stoplight and couldn't have been going over 20. It's a '99 Sport, you think they'll total it? I hear horror stories about airbag replacement pricing. No body damage whatsoever.

20mph into a curb will buff out no problem.

Oct 2, 2004

Did you just drive straight into a curb at 20 mph?

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
Hey back off he was answering an important text.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

velocityJE posted:

It probably busted the windshield, dash, and I'm guessing you made some significant contact under the car to trip them off. So rim/suspension damage is likely.

So... Maybe?

Ziploc fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Mar 5, 2011

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002

Rest and hires:
http://imgur.com/a/zGw8p

streetlamp
May 7, 2007

Here she is, in all her faded beauty

Immediate concerns:
New Battery
Drivers Mirror
Has aftermarket trunk with no catch for latch

velocityJE
Jul 11, 2001

~ LOVE FOREVER ~

Ziploc posted:

It probably busted the windshield, dash, and I'm guessing you made some significant contact under the car to trip them off. So rim/suspension damage is likely.

So... Maybe?
No damage except where the air bags exited the dash, and some scuffing on the front lower bumper. I was making a left turn onto a 4 lane highway and cut it too sharp (it was dark) and made contact with the end of the median. The right front wheel does appear damaged but it isn't flat. Meh, appraiser's coming Monday so I guess I'll see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

velocityJE posted:

No damage except where the air bags exited the dash, and some scuffing on the front lower bumper. I was making a left turn onto a 4 lane highway and cut it too sharp (it was dark) and made contact with the end of the median. The right front wheel does appear damaged but it isn't flat. Meh, appraiser's coming Monday so I guess I'll see.

When I hit a curb in my miata, I was going far less than 20mph, more like 5, and it totally bent the poo poo out of my lower control arm to the point where it was undrivable. My airbags didn't go off but it was still 1200 to fix the damage to the suspension and wheel.

I was going down a driveway and had just popped the clutch to start going, didnt even hit the gas yet. There was a median, and there was snow on the ground and my tires sucked cocks. Understeered right into the median.